The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go???

+24
WillyGilly
Backrower678
Artful_Dodger
profitius
debaters1
The Great Aukster
formerly known as Sam
JayMaster3000
SecretFly
marty2086
clivemcl
trustedwomble
Don Alfonso
Sin é
1F'sgonnagetya!
gowales
Notch
MrsP
Kingshu
rodders
Rava
geoff998rugby
Standulstermen
BelfastDickVet
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go??? Empty Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go???

Post by BelfastDickVet Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:57 pm

There is speculation on the UAFC website that Brian Mclaughlin may leave ulster at the end of this season, whether this is his decision or Ulsters has not yet been ascertained. Some believe that yes he has been the man who ulster needed the past two seasons to rebuild and remold us into a competitive franchise, but he doesn't have the guile or experience to bring us to the next step. the same people believe that a more experienced coach would have had a few tricks up their sleeve that would have enabled us to beat Northampton or Clermont.

I personally rate McGlock really highly, i think he is intelligent and reads the game really well, i feel what lets him down at times are his assistant coaches. i believe that we really need to obtain new backs, scrum and attack coaches. our forwards and defense are our major strengths.

Ulster Fans what are your views?
Non Ulster fans what are you opinions of our coaching set up,bearing in mind that it is Hump Snr who carries out our player recruitment and not Mclaughlin.

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go??? Empty Re: Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go???

Post by Standulstermen Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:33 am

I can't see ulster letting him go totally. Notch suggested an academy role or youth development I think which would be very good. Hard to shift the guy if he takes you to a heineken semi or even final though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go??? Empty Re: Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go???

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:40 am

The speculation comes from the Sunday Times article I believe.

I can't see him being shown the door and if he goes, changes his role, it will because he wants to.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:52 am

Won't happen. Ulster are still building and there is no doubting McLaughlin has been instrumental in getting us where we are and it is obvious the players like and respect him.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:04 am

No, Ulster are clearly progressing under him.

There are areas that need to be improved like squad rotation and bench utilisation, if we are to make the next step and win silverware but overall BM has done a great job and should continue.

Our backplay and general attacking play were very poor earlier in the season but have improved markedly over the past month or so.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 am

I was one of the ones who said at the beginging of the season that BM had taken us as far as he can, and that maybe we should be looking at a new coach. (I wasn't the only one), Though he was doing a good job, but someone could come in and do a better job with the resources available.

I still think it's true, but to a much lesser extent, BM could take us to where we want to be, but I feel that if rumours are to be believed Chieka would get us to the same place quicker.

If BM stays i'll be happy if he has more outside coaches added to his team. I think he's doing a good job.

I feel that BM is a little like Pedrie Wannenburg, he's done a great job, and would like to see them stay, but if someone who is better is intrested in the job, we have to replace them to progress.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:20 am

By way of clarification I am certain there will be coaching changes for next year but no insight into the specifics

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:26 am

I don't think anyone could blame the defeat in Clermont on any coaching deficiencies.

We could/should have won that game and the reason we didn't was down to the players, not the coaches.

They were the ones who needed clearer heads in the final quarter, not the coaches. I think McLaughlin has done a fantastic job and would love to see him stay but perhaps with a bit more help in the other coaching areas.

I really don't think Cheika is the right man for Ulster.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:41 am

MrsP wrote:I don't think anyone could blame the defeat in Clermont on any coaching deficiencies.

I disagree MrsP...I blame whoever coached Ian Humphries to pass the ball... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:42 am

I would like to see Brian McLaughlin remain in the role but some other coaches brought in to support him.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:44 am

How long has Conor O'Shea got on his contract at Quins. He'd be pretty good for Ulster.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:15 pm

I would not like Cheika , he's done nothing at Stade Francais and I don't think he'd be the man for us.

Gowales, I think O'Shea has a few years left on his contract and I can see him staying at Quins for quite some time as they're a young team and he speaks a lot about that project long term.

I see no reason in moving McLaughlin. We had a very hard group in the 'Ken Cup and did well to get out of it and nearly top it! We're improving and it'd be a shame to get rid of him when he hasn't done much wrong!

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:43 pm

1F'sgonnagetya! wrote: I would not like Cheika , he's done nothing at Stade Francais and I don't think he'd be the man for us.

That a bit harsh - he took over a side that was in decline and had been droping down the table year on year since being champions in 2007. So much so that that in his first year they had not qualified for the HC.

In that first year whilst he did not arrest the league decline he did take them to the Amlin final.
This year he has got them into a league position that is good enough to qualify for the HC for the first time in 3 years.

Not world beating but it does suggest he has arrested the decline that was in place when he arrived.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Ulster remind me of Leinster about 2006 - lacking a hard edge which someone like Cheika would be a good choice.

Still, can't see anyone like Cheika or O'Shea being interested in the post with David Humphreys knocking around. I saw recently where the provincial coaches met in Portlaoise about the new IRFU directive and it was Schmidt, McGahan & Humphreys who met up - no McLaughlin.

Maybe Humphreys is set to take over as head coach!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Sin e

I'm fairly certain it was McLaughlin there. That's what the reports I read said. No mention of humph

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Sin e

I'm fairly certain it was McLaughlin there. That's what the reports I read said. No mention of humph

Stand, from the Irish Times: (Thornley)

On foot of this, Leinster, Munster and Ulster mobilised their opposition to the new diktats regarding the recruitment of foreign players, with Joe Schmidt, Tony McGahan and Ulster’s director of rugby David Humphreys meeting in Portlaoise on Tuesday, January 10th.

The respective chief executives, Mick Dawson, Garrett Fitzgerald and Shane Logan have also had meetings, and the result of this is a joint document submitted by the provinces which they feel is workable and constructive.

Discussions are ongoing with a view to finding a compromise.

Humphreys seems to be very involved in the match day as well along side McLaughlin.

I think Ulster will have a problem getting a top class coach with Humphreys seemingly pulling most the strings on the playing side.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0128/1224310865799.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:13 pm

O'Shea is flavour of the month - is there any evidence that he's actually any better than McL?

When the Harlequins go well, it's because of Irishman O'Shea at the helm. Every time we hit a rich vein of form, or compete with the big boys, it's the players (and usually specifically the Africans, according to the southern media) that get the credit. O'Shea is the sole reason Quina are where they are, McL's leadership goes unmentioned. Don't buy it myself.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Sin e

I do agree with your point. Humph does cast a Long shadow but I read otherwise regarding that meeting.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by trustedwomble Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 am

BBC are reporting that McLaughlin will not be wt Ulster next season with "Ravenhill Chiefs" deciding not to renew his contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16807038.stm

I don't see the logic in announcing this now, we are doing well and in the QF for the second season running. Or is it all just someone reading rumours on threads like this and reporting as fact?

trustedwomble

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 am

Kirwan and Sexton seem to be favourites at the moment.

I think we will know where we are with regard to Head coach, Tommy Bowe and possibly Backrow all in the next 2 to 10 days - Hold on to your hats Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go??? 3933776953

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:03 am

WTFlip are the Ulster chief's thinking?? Sure BM should be given to the end of the season?

Ulster are still in with a great chance of making the HEC final, why announce this now?

Is McLaughlin jumping or being pushed Geoff?

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 am

geoff998rugby wrote:I think we will know where we are with regard to Head coach, Tommy Bowe and possibly Backrow all in the next 2 to 10 days - Hold on to your hats Should Ulster let Brian Mclaughlin go??? 3933776953

GULP

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:37 am

Rodders,

The announcement is because Logan and Humph like to get things out of the way and on the table during this quiet period between HC and 6N.

I honestly think this is better than discussions going on underthe table and people not sure where they are. I think if anything this will give the players an extra insentive to give Brian a rousing send off.

Was he pushed or did he jump. I honestly think it is a bit of both and probably done amicably enough. Logan and Humph are determined to take us to the very top and McLaughlin knows that. I suspect they have said something along the lines of they can only guarantee 1 more year. McLaughlin, if you recall, took a long long time agreeing to join as he wanted to keep open the option to go back into teaching to secure his pension. Last year he got that extend by one year - I suspect the education authorities will not secure any longer.

Therefore he is left with a choice - stay with Ulster, with no guaranteed beyond 1 year and have a significantly reduced pension, as a teacher, or return to teaching and leave with an excellent pension. He appears to have choosen the later.

Some speculation in their but it fits the facts

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:42 am

Ah ok Geoff fair enough then..that makes sense OK

Could this affect Bowe coming? Don't think he'd be keen on working with EOS again?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 am

trustedwomble wrote:BBC are reporting that McLaughlin will not be wt Ulster next season with "Ravenhill Chiefs" deciding not to renew his contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16807038.stm

I don't see the logic in announcing this now, we are doing well and in the QF for the second season running. Or is it all just someone reading rumours on threads like this and reporting as fact?

I read that quickly and thought it read he would be with the Ravenhill Chiefs next season, and wondered who they were ,a team below the Ulster Ravens was my first thought.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 am

Rodders forgetting about the EOS angle - I don't think he wil lget it but if he did yes it would affect Tommy Bowe imo.

We are in a for a hairy week of two.
My contact will be badgered to get more info tomorrow Very Happy

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:54 am

Keep up the good work Geoff! thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 am

Sin, can you actually present any evidence regarding that? Because from where I stand at Ravenhill, he sits behind me and while he has his headset like the rest of the coaching team he is not immediately involved.

I think there is quite a clear demarcation of roles between coaching and recruitment.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am

Its sad to see that hes going, he came in when none of the big names they wanted would take the job now hes taken the team forward and achieved everything thats been asked of him if not more surely another year at least is what he deserves to see if he can advance the team further.

If this is a decision from higher up then they could be embaressed if we end up beating Munster

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 am

I would love us to win a trophy this season. McLaughlin the first coach since 1999 to deserve that. Would I be correct in saying he has the best record in the Heineken Cup group stages of any Ulster coach?

Come on lads, send him off in style.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:27 am

Notch we won the Celtic League in 2005/6 and the Celtic cup too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:30 am

yeah there was something about Mcglocks wanting to be at home more and i dont think this is a case of 'bugger off brian'.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 am

BelfastDickVet wrote:Non Ulster fans what are you opinions of our coaching set up,bearing in mind that it is Hump Snr who carries out our player recruitment and not Mclaughlin.

I believe the guy in charge of the team (the coach) should also have a hefty say in player recruitment. Not having a say, (even if it's largely a symolic division of roles..I'm sure mcLaughlin has some input) means it gets into sticky territory whereby the recruiter gets the plaudits and the coach gets the knife - if someone needs one! Wink

It always unsettles me when cameras focus on two people who allegedly represent what is happening out on the field. McLaughlin gets his few moments in the camera limelight but then there is always the shot of Humphreys too. Reminds me of the bad old days in English rugby when Johnson is shown on the sidelines and right after him, Andrew - watching the coach watch his team. One man should be seen as the 'head' of the team - if there is another head somewheres, he should keep a very low profile. You either want the job of head coach or you don't.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:33 am

roddersm wrote:Notch we won the Celtic League in 2005/6 and the Celtic cup too.

I'm perfectly aware of that, yes. As I was when I made my comment. Not getting into an argument about it OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

Standulstermen wrote:yeah there was something about Mcglocks wanting to be at home more and i dont think this is a case of 'bugger off brian'.

I hope that is more of the case, his wife did have a health scare a while back so maybe this is a factor just seems strange that hes advanced the team and beating Munster at Thomond in the HC QF would be another big step forward

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 am

As I said I beleive it is more to do with securing his income in later life.

Humph and McGlock get on really well - no friction as far as I am aware. McGlock is a shy guy who doesn't like the limelight. He is happy for Humph to carry some of that burden. As Ulster get bigger I suspect that is a small part in his decision.

You young whipper snappers, excluding you Rava (your my generation Very Happy ),
should understand that post 50 things like pension, health and being with family loom large in ones decision making - careers are no longer the be all and end all, even running your favourite sports club. I suspect this is central to why what has occurred has occurred.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:48 am

Ulster statement:

' In response to media speculation today regarding the Ulster Rugby Head Coaching position, Ulster Rugby confirms that the current coaching contracts are set to finish at the end of the season, and are under review. There will be no further comment at this time.'

My take on that is someone has let the cat out the bag. Whoever it is I would not like to be in their shoes when Logan and Humph get hold of them.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 am

marty2086 wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:yeah there was something about Mcglocks wanting to be at home more and i dont think this is a case of 'bugger off brian'.

I hope that is more of the case, his wife did have a health scare a while back so maybe this is a factor just seems strange that hes advanced the team and beating Munster at Thomond in the HC QF would be another big step forward

+1 marty.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:36 am

ESPNScrum are linking Matt Sexton and John Kirwan to the job??

Anyone know anything about Sexton's coaching experience?

And I for one, though sad to see Mcglocks go, would be very happy to see John Kirwan arrive. Great coach in my opinion.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by trustedwomble Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 am

He has bone a fantastic job over the last few years. I hope that he is either leaving for the reasons as stated above (pension etc), or that Ulster can offer him another post.

He would be a great addition in the academy.

trustedwomble

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 am

Sexton would be great front row coach - we nearly got his this year.

Not sure why it didn't happen

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 am

What about Nick Mallett as a possibility or is he nailed on for the England job?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:05 pm

As a Tigers fan I don't see why Ulster would want to change a great deal. They clearly have a good set of tactics that revolve around the powerful forwards and the tough defence. The set pieces are solid and you make good ground in attack even if you are missing a spark in the backs I'd say that was down to needing a slight shuffle in the personel rather than a different coach. Fine tuning is needed, a new coach is not always a good thing, look what happened with Loffreda at Tigers!

That a bit harsh - he took over a side that was in decline and had been droping down the table year on year since being champions in 2007. So much so that that in his first year they had not qualified for the HC

Remember that Stade jetisoned quite a lot of their big names and the current squad is no where near as big or as star studded as it was in the past.

When the Harlequins go well, it's because of Irishman O'Shea at the helm. Every time we hit a rich vein of form, or compete with the big boys, it's the players (and usually specifically the Africans, according to the southern media) that get the credit. O'Shea is the sole reason Quina are where they are

O'Shea is good at building on success. The Quins team was revolutioned by Dean Richards but the unsavoury blood gate incident meant he had to go and allowed O'Shea to step into a good team bursting with young players and fine tune as he saw fit.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm undecided.

I think McL has done a fantastic job. There was a great deal of scepticism when UR appointed a schools coach, but he has achieved much more than many - including myself - thought we could expect. It is hard to assess his specific contribution, given David Humphreys and Shane Logan came on not long before. We Ulster fans can be somewhat hysterical ["behold! Another Ulster Crisis (TM)!" ] and so have over-reacted after a couple of poor games here and there. But under Matt Wiliams we were slogging it out with Connacht for the third Irish HEC spot. Now we're gearing up for our second QF in as many years, and expecting to go up a tier next season. It's night and day. But maybe we should be keeping things fresh. Restng on your laurels in professional sport is basically going backwards.

Humph and Logan obviously have real ambition. I just hope this proves an audacious and bold move, rather than an act of folly or hubris.

It's impossible to tell. If you'd told me that our forwards would look better, hungrier and more intense, under Muller doubling as a coach, than Jeremy Davidson as a dedicated forwards coach, I would have laughed in your face. What is certain is that Ulster fans owe McL a great debt of gratitude.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Don Alfonso wrote: What is certain is that Ulster fans owe McL a great debt of gratitude.

+ 1 on that one! OK
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:43 pm

roddersm wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote: What is certain is that Ulster fans owe McL a great debt of gratitude.

+ 1 on that one! OK

Yeah absolutely. He's been fantastic for us. If this is it, I'll always remember him as a great coach for Ulster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 pm

+1 form me also - the Logan, Humph and McLaughlin triumvate has pulled us up from struggling to qualify for the HC to the QF's two years running. Plus totally transforming our squad so that it looks well set for years to come.

3 years ago we were about 25th -30th best in Europe - we now are in the 5th to 10th bracket - that is some achievement.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:58 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:+1 form me also - the Logan, Humph and McLaughlin triumvate has pulled us up from struggling to qualify for the HC to the QF's two years running. Plus totally transforming our squad so that it looks well set for years to come.

3 years ago we were about 25th -30th best in Europe - we now are in the 5th to 10th bracket - that is some achievement.

on SkySports before the Clermont game they were even talking up Ulster as maybe staking a claim to be the 2nd team in Ireland who would have thought that could mentioned 3 years ago, we still need some depth but hopefully some of the young guys coming through can bring us that and more

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 pm

3 years ago I remember a conversation, at the club, where the asperation was that 2012-13 would be the year we pass Munster as Ireland's second team. It wont be easy but we are on course.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm

If we beat Munster in the HEC QF then 2011/12 will be the year we pass Munster as Ireland second team.

Theres too many people putting Munster on a pedastal and talking like that game is a forgone conclusion in my opinion.

I think we can really dominate Munster up front and if so that game is there to be won.

Believe guinness .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next