The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Eagles QB situation?

+5
Derbyblue
GB1919
skins4ever
Pr4wn
Cheesehead United
9 posters

Go down

The Eagles QB situation? Empty The Eagles QB situation?

Post by Cheesehead United Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 2:18

Hey guys, I've not heard anything about this, so apologies if there has been news of it. Last year, the Eagles had Kolb as their first QB, but then Vick came in and played outstanding when Kolb got injured. Obviously they can't afford to keep both on their books, so just wondering who the eagles would stick with, and who they would get rid of and to where?

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

The Eagles QB situation? Empty Re: The Eagles QB situation?

Post by Pr4wn Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 2:25

The only certain thing is that Michael Vick is the Eagles' starting QB.

The rest all hinges on the labour situation. The Eagles would love for a CBA to get sorted so that they could trade Kolb away. They have already said that they are willing to look at offers from other teams but nothing can happen until the lockout ends and a new CBA is agreed.

The would probably look to try and get a first round pick for him, but I'm not sure of which teams would pay that much for a QB with only 6 starts under his belt.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 2:35

Pr4wn wrote:The only certain thing is that Michael Vick is the Eagles' starting QB.

The rest all hinges on the labour situation. The Eagles would love for a CBA to get sorted so that they could trade Kolb away. They have already said that they are willing to look at offers from other teams but nothing can happen until the lockout ends and a new CBA is agreed.

The would probably look to try and get a first round pick for him, but I'm not sure of which teams would pay that much for a QB with only 6 starts under his belt.

Wasn't Kolb their starting QB the previous season? I think the Vikings could take him to replace Favre.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 2:50

Kolb started off the season, got injured and the Vick was so productive that they couldnt drop him.

I'm sure that Minny would love to have Kolb but they can't get him right now. They're in a tough position. They can't trade for Kolb now and there probably won't be a CBA in place in time for the draft. Do they draft a QB or stick it out without one and hope that a CBA gets done?

A lot of teams have some real headaches similar to this (Carolina, San Francisco, Arizona, Cincinnatti, Washington to name but a few).

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 3:14

Pr4wn wrote:Kolb started off the season, got injured and the Vick was so productive that they couldnt drop him.

I'm sure that Minny would love to have Kolb but they can't get him right now. They're in a tough position. They can't trade for Kolb now and there probably won't be a CBA in place in time for the draft. Do they draft a QB or stick it out without one and hope that a CBA gets done?

A lot of teams have some real headaches similar to this (Carolina, San Francisco, Arizona, Cincinnatti, Washington to name but a few).

Yeah good point. The Vikes have got to be sensible and draft a QB. What will be interesting though is when the CBA gets sorted (if it gets sorted), after the draft there could be alot of trades before the season.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 3:28

I'd say the eagles are laughing because they can't lose out - if they can't flog Kolb, then they have two quality QB's on the roster (and plenty of teams would kill for that) , and if they do get to flog him, they'll get a decent return.

I'd argue the Skins don't have a problem as such. I'd actually be OK with Kolb in a Skins uniform, but after the McNabb deal especially, this isn't going to happen.

Skins will likely look at a low draft pick QB or even stick with Grossman until the next draft and just bring in FA cover for him. I think the management now realise they can't win anything without some luck and/or 2 more drafts. I think last years panic buy will be a one off (especially given the lack of any other daft decisions last off season), so I don't expect them to rush into anything.

Then only teams on that little list that do have real problems right now are 49ers and Cardinals, as neither has a real incumbent #1. Cincy can fall back on Palmer if hey can;t get an alternative and Carolina have Moore and Clausen, so whilst not exactly in great shape, they at least have at least 1 guy that can manage the shop for a season - both teams have bigger rebuilding problems than QB.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 5:12

Quite an amusing turn of phrase to say that the Redskins realise they can't win anything without some luck and/or 2 more drafts. Given who will be in next years QB draft class they may get exactly that next year.

I agree that the Redskins will probably once bitten twice shy when it comes to taking QBs from the Eagles but I disagree that the Eagles are laughing. Given what Andy Reid has said this week it is reasonably clear that Kolb doesn't have a future in Philly yet his value will drop enormously if they cannot do anything until after the draft as some teams will have taken players to fill that gap. Given his contract is up next year it seems to be now or never if they are going to sell high.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 23 Mar 2011 - 23:39

OK, maybe not laughing, but they are in the relatively rare scenario where they have a good quality backup. Its something of a nice problem to have.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 25 Mar 2011 - 0:21

The Eagles can afford to keep both Kolb and Vick, as Kolb will earn about $1.4 million and Vick will I think earn around $16 million, however they are looking to trade Kolb despite Reid claiming to like him and being happy to keep him at the Eagles.

The market for Kolb is apparently much more agressive than the market for McNabb last year, and the Eagles have apparently already received some offers including first round picks.

Skins4ever: Do you really think Cincy can fall back on Palmer? A quarterback threatening to retire if not traded (which he probably won't be.) They are probably in the worse position because its unlikely he will be traded but then they need to know if Palmers threat is serious if he retires he still has $80 million in the bank. If they misjudge his threat they can end up with no good starting quarterback, or they could end up with two starting quarterbacks.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Fri 25 Mar 2011 - 0:59

Can they afford them both though, because i'm sure Kolb would have signed a contract last year as a starting QB, and as they will keep hold of Vick, he would want a salary of a starting QB too.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 25 Mar 2011 - 1:02

Sure they can afford it, and anyway, if they trade Kolb for a first rounder, the pick's wages will likely be higher than Kolb's anyway.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 25 Mar 2011 - 1:13

Cheesehead United wrote:Can they afford them both though, because i'm sure Kolb would have signed a contract last year as a starting QB, and as they will keep hold of Vick, he would want a salary of a starting QB too.

Yes they definitely can, if I remember correctly then he is only on around $1.4million, this makes both him and Vick put together earning less than the top few quarterbacks. If franchise tags disappear then they may have to pay Vick more but they will still be able to afford Kolb's wages too, but it's likely he won't be staying, and the people they draft with the picks they get in return for Kolb will be earning more than Kolb they just don't want to lose him for nothing next year.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Fri 25 Mar 2011 - 1:29

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if there was no new season if he then wouldn't be traded. But it sounds like they do need to this year to get something back.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 25 Mar 2011 - 1:55

Derbyblue - I hadn't caught up with the news on Cincy until last night and didn't realise Palmer had made the threat. It does make an interesting scenario, but the ownership have turned around and told him where to go, so it might be a case of who blinks first. Remember if he retires, he can't un-retire until his contracts expired (or he voids it) else he'll be liable for breaching the terms and won't be able to play anywhere else unless that is sorted (or the other team take on his contract - unlikely).

That said, they have LeFevour, who by all accounts from last years pre-draft was reckoned could be a starter in 2-3 years, so maybe they are confident he can step up?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 25 Mar 2011 - 3:14

From what I've read/watched on the NFL site it seems like the Bengals won't be trading him, and he will probably follow through with his threat, though he'll still be under contract with them until 2014.

I've not really looked too much into their backup quarterbacks, but LeFevour does seem to have fairly good stats though he did poorly in the Bears preseason, and to me it looks like Jordan Palmer isn't good enough to be a starter. It is up to Lewis to decide if LeFevour has developed enough to start, though you can never be sure until they've played a regular season game. Even if LeFevour is good enough to start if Carson Palmer retires they are left with two quarterbacks, and will still need to be looking at picking up a quarterback from somewhere.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 25 Mar 2011 - 3:32

Most NFL teams go into camp with 4 or 5 QB's anyway, so they'll pick up competition in the draft or FA. IF Palmer does leave, their question is do we put the untested 2nd year guy in or look for a vet FA. I can't see them going for another high pick QB given their other needs.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 26 Mar 2011 - 5:00

If Palmer does retire then I would expect the Bengals to be looking at picking up a vet FA, because even if LeFevour comes in and does well if he gets injured they need someone who can take over and perform fairly well which I don't think Jordan Palmer can do. The vet FA would also be able to help LeFevour's development regarding the reading of defences, and is likely to keep LeFevour on his toes as he will know that there is an experienced and proven guy waiting to take his spot if he performs badly.

Something which is interesting me is if the Bengals use their first round pick on a quarterback, or spend a couple of draft picks trading for a experienced quarterback expecting Palmer to follow through with his threat, then I wonder what happens if Palmer doesn't and turns up to all team activities and decides he is happy to continue playing for the Bengals.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Mon 28 Mar 2011 - 3:46

I think we will see a number of QB on the merry-go-round once F.A has been established.

McNabb will leave the Skins, and I would not be surprised if he ends up at the Cardinals they built as a passing team and McNabb has expereince of west coast offence which suits the Cardinals

Palmer if the Bengals draft Newton then look for Palmer to move on, he is threatening to site out the season and if the Bengals draft a QB I would think Palmer would pitch up San Francisco

Kolb to the Vikings, they need expereince under Centre and Tavris Jackson is not the man to lead them, they could take a chance on Locker from Washington or maybe Pounder but would they be worth the 12th overall pick I am not so sure, I still think they will draft a QB in the draft but as late round project maybe 4th as they need plug holes in the Defensive Line and at Defensive Back, Kolb another West Coast guy could plug in straight away.

The Broncos have 3 QB but I ant see them keeping these 3 on the books, they need to rebuild in a lot of places Orton started but Tebow took over towards the end of the season so for me one of Quinn or Orton will move on to Washington I think another team with major QB needs.

Vince Young fell out of favour at the Titans but with Fisher moving on they may well welcome him back, but I think he will end up with the Fins.

If young goes to Miami then they will have 4 QB Henne, Thigpen, Pennington and possible Young, Seattle may part ways with Hassleback as they cannot agree to a new contract so the Seahawks might be too be looking for a QB, and Henne could fit in there, and it maybe the Seahawks re-sign Hassleback but Henne will push him for the starting role. If not then Hassleback to the Bengals
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballOasis&Hatton Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 0:05

Cant see Kolb wanting to go back to playing 2nd fiddle again in Philly. I wouldnt be surprised if he forced a trade off his own back

FootballOasis&Hatton

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 1:01

Shame the CBA issues have prevented any FA moves/Trades.
I heard the Niners were looking at Kolb.
The most interesting move this years for me is where VY ends up, KH might be the man to straighten him out so could see him in Arizona

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 1:22

Is that Ken Hisenwunt Grizz? Wink

Kolb could end up in all sorts of places. I'm sure the Panthers would love for him to end up in Carolina if they could work out a deal. That would allow them to take Dareus or another top defensive player with the top pick.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 2:35

Panthers have the makings of being a good team, nothing wrong with the D last year but they couldn't get anything going on offence and that comes from a team with one of the best (potentially) running games.
If I were in Charlotte I'd be upgrading QB, finding another couple of WR target men but loading up on O-line upgrades

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 4:26

I heard that the Cardinals and 49ers were interested in Bulger the Ravens back up. I also thought that Jim Harbaugh and some others at the 49ers were interested in keeping Alex Smith to see if Harbaugh could bring about an improvement.

Is there going to be a big market for McNabb? He had his worst season since being a rookie if you look at QB rating, his number of touchdowns fell while his number of interceptions reached a career high. He also signed a 5 year extension with the Redskins worth $78 million.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 4:57

'Is there going to be a big market for McNabb? He had his worst season since being a rookie if you look at QB rating, his number of touchdowns fell while his number of interceptions reached a career high. He also signed a 5 year extension with the Redskins worth $78 million.'

Only in DC ! laughing
Shouldn't laugh, there are some decent long suffering Skins fans here but I haven't met anyone that could make any sense of the McNabb contract

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 5:03

Michael Vick will be the starting QB next season, Kevin Kolb will be traded once possible, the earliest possible point being if the Lockout gets thrown out by the courts.

At this point the likely landing spot looks like San Fran, with Gabbert likely off the board by 7, and Peterson and Newton probably gone too. #7 or 2 2nd rounders + change seems likely compensation.

The Cardinals and Vikings look to be in the mix also.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 29 Mar 2011 - 22:32

McNabb's contract is effectively voidable if they release him before camp. If they let him go now, he will cost nothing going forward. It effectively made him a 1 year signing, putting the pressure on him to succeed (which he didn't). Actually a good deal for the Skins as it turns out.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 30 Mar 2011 - 0:02

Skins4ever - Is he not guaranteed any money? If it is voidable for free then you may struggle to get a good trade for him as most teams will be expecting you to release him if you can't get the trade.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 30 Mar 2011 - 0:03

The deal was structured as a one-year deal that could turn into five if the Skins wanted it to. I think most pundits at the time knew that this wasn't going to be the case and they were just looking for trade ammo.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down