The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pick a player and liken him to a nation's posters on 606v2.

+24
Full Credit
boomeranga
doctor_grey
21st Century Schizoid Man
Thomond
ChequeredJersey
CurlyOsp
Knowsit17
beshocked
kiakahaaotearoa
miteyironpaw
Comfort
SecretFly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RubyGuby
Glas a du
Rava
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
dogtooth
wales606
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Geordie
eirebilly
Biltong
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pick a player and liken him to a nation's posters on 606v2. Empty Pick a player and liken him to a nation's posters on 606v2.

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:27 am

Every nation and their fans create a perception of themselves through their actions and behaviour, I often sit and read posts on the forum and often it strikes me how similar the attitude or postings are of a specific nation’s supporters. Then there are of course those who are fair weather supporters, they don’t support them home country for a justifiable reason they have cleared in their own minds.

We had that here in south Africa in 1990 when the Sharks won their first Currie Cup and money started flowing to their docks and businesses realised there was a marketing opportunity, before then I knew no Shark supporters, but after the win, the closet supporters and fickle ones came out in droves and acknowledged the fact that they have indeed been hiding their secret as they were afraid to shame the family name.
So based on that I was thinking about if related to a specific position or player in the recent history of rugby, who would I liken to each of the nations represented on 606v2.

As I am one of only a handful of South Africans on 606v2 it would be inaccurate to base SA on only one sample.

New Zealand – Carel du Plessis
So I will start with New Zealand as they are top of the pile. We had the Prince of wings who didn’t play a lot of international rugby due to our sporting isolation, yet he was called the Prince of wings. There was an air of superiority about him, in the eyes of the media he never did anything wrong. He seemed to be knowledgeable about the game of rugby and although always polite never hesitated to be truthful about his opponents, albeit in a semi diplomatic way. He tried never to offend anyone, but now and again his superior attitude or knowledge failed in his obvious attempt to be diplomatic. Looking at our NZ posters here, they are knowledgeable, fair and their confidence comes from the fact that they do have the best team in the world, once in a while a comment they make can spark some negative reaction. Our OZ posters fit well into that category, they represent rugby well when they are on here, but often they can be absent.

Australia – James Small.
James Small was the type of player who wasn’t the fastest wing in the world, neither was he the biggest wing in world rugby, he did however at one stage hold the record for the most tries in a springbok jumper. He wasn’t always interested in doing the right thing and was often to one side having other interests that occupied his time, much like the Australian supporters with their AFL and cricket. Slightly sensitive he would not enjoy criticism and would sometimes respond in a negative way, but overall a real nice guy.

England – John Smit
As we all know John Smit was a big name in SA rugby, the last two years of his career he remained the captain in place of the best hooker in world rugby Bismarck du Plessis, and his reputation seemed to be the only thing that kept him there. The overall opinion was that his time has come and gone, but stubbornly he stuck around for a final hoorah. But it wasn’t all bad, he still wanted to be the best he could be and tried his heart out, sadly his international career ended on a bit of a low and his reputation a little marred by his reaction of Bryce Lawrence on that fateful day, a little bit of a whinger. Much like our English counterparts who some of them still live on the reputation of their team 9 years ago, they have their moments of being objective and peasant, an now and again will whinge about something gone wrong.

Ireland – Juan Smith
Juan Smith is the quintessential professional rugby player, honest hard working and loyal to the core. There really isn’t much you would be able to criticise, yet if you look a little deeper, you may find just a hint of a guy who doesn’t really waste time with casual chat or humour. That doesn’t mean it isn’t there, you just have to prod a little and use some encouragement. That is pretty much the way I see Irish posters, on the whole they whinge the least, they are very honest in their approach and very serious about their rugby, there is also a sense of the conservative much like Juan Smith, just a good old Free state local plying his trade. When coaxed into a little humour they often find it rather enjoyable, but they never stray far away from their roots.

Scotland – Bismarck du Plessis
Much like Bismarck, Scottish posters know their stuff, but just like Bismarck who had to live in the shadow of John Smit, they bide their time and when their team has done well or has shown improvement can they become a little more vocal with their opinions. Now and then their frustration will come to the boil, just as Bismarck showed when he was replaced against Samoa when he was having a blinder of a match. But otherwise, polite, honest and hard working.

Wales – Gavin Henson
Gavin Henson has been a promising and talented rugby player for some time, his action off the field and his self obsession with all things Henson is most likely his biggest stumbling block in his career. There has been much hype surrounding him and to this day there are still some that believe he is the real article. He doesn’t really pay much attention to all the criticism levelled at him and continues to believe in himself in spite of any facts to the contrary. That doesn’t mean he is all bad, he does have talent, he does a potential when focused and will most likely be great if he could focus on the necessary. I am also pretty sure he is a nice guy. Welsh fans strike me to be of the same cloth, he is welsh after all. They are passionate about rugby, No other team exist for them, which in all honesty isn’t a bad thing, I truly admire loyalty, but like Henson, criticism doesn’t go down well. Overall they are pleasant, if not for their inability to process criticism in a constructive manner.

The fickle Floaters – You can pick anyone of a number of “residency qualified players”
To the fickle floaters loyalty means little, they change allegiance for their country to whomever is the flavour of the month, or decade. For the life of me I do not understand how you can support a country that you have not lived in for the majority of your life, or at least have actually lived in for some part of your life. If I had to leave SA and live in another country my loyalty to the springboks have been engrained in my DNA, the possibility of supporting another team is unthinkable. Knowledge about rugby is one thing, but opinion based on rugby is another. If a person can switch allegiance to another country for whatever reason, I don’t understand it. Hence the question is how much of the opinions can you really take that seriously.

Anyway have some fun with this and choose a player and liken him to a nation’s posters on here.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Pick a player and liken him to a nation's posters on 606v2. Empty Re: Pick a player and liken him to a nation's posters on 606v2.

Post by eirebilly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:29 am

Way to early for me to read all that biltong, will get back to you later Wink
Have to drink some more coffee first Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Pick a player and liken him to a nation's posters on 606v2. Empty Re: Pick a player and liken him to a nation's posters on 606v2.

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:01 am

I dont believe it!!!

Who won the world cup...in 2003!! We did and dont forget it! Very Happy Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:09 am

Wales..
Richie Mccaw : Everyone thinks they have the refs in their pocket.

England...
Wilko : Not the same since 2003, like a bitter old man slowly losing his pride desperatly trying to relive former glories whilst limping along carrying mortal wounds.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:09 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Wales..
Richie Mccaw : Everyone thinks they have the refs in their pocket.

England...
Wilko : Not the same since 2003, like a bitter old man slowly losing his pride desperatly trying to relive former glories whilst limping along carrying mortal wounds.

laughing
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

Great idea for a thread this biltong, although for me for Wales, it would have been Mike Phillips not Gavin Henson.

Also can't believe you said you thought the Irish whinge the least!! Laugh I would have said that was the Scots.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

RD, it was a toss up between the two, but then I think back to their last two six nation encounters against Wales and even though there was some moaning, they lost both those matches on controversial decisions and didn't really make a big fuss about it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:24 am

thumbsup RD, why don't you do one for Mike Phillips and give your reasons, it will give us a different perspective.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:29 am

wales-dan carter. rugby genius
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:32 am

eep well, I'll give it a go.

Wales - Mike Phillips

Like Mike, Welsh fans can often get a tad self absorbed. They also share the same prickly character and can be just as likely to over react to an apparent threat. They share the same passion and tenacity that Mike brings to the Welsh team, and will fight for their side right till the end. Often misunderstood, their belief in the team is steadfast to the last. There are occassional moments of brilliance, occasional blunders but for the most part they are consistent and solid, even if they are a bit over defensive at times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

dogtooth wrote:wales-dan carter. rugby genius

I've met DC. Incredibly shy in person, to the point where conversation is painfully dull. Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:43 am

England - Austin Healey

Always did tend to get carried away with his own self importance Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:48 am

England - Chris Ashton. Have achieved the odd notable success without the natural instinctive "football" which appeals to the Welsh or French.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:52 am

Wales - Warburton: balanced, athletic, strong; generous in defeat - unfaiirly treated but always a winner Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:53 am

rugbydreamer wrote:Great idea for a thread this biltong, although for me for Wales, it would have been Mike Phillips not Gavin Henson.

Also can't believe you said you thought the Irish whinge the least!! Laugh I would have said that was the Scots.
Thank you, Shovey, especially when we have most reason! Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:55 am

S Africa - Bakkies Botha - when the going gets tough and the game is starting to slip away let's resort to thuggery and shake hands and smile afterwards as it's just a game of rugby thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:59 am

Laugh

Well, you were only ever going to upset Biltong with that one.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

I don't think some of you are getting it.....link an International player to individual, National, natural personality peculiarities of posters on here.

Wales - Donald Duck Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:02 pm

RubyGuby wrote:S Africa - Bakkies Botha - when the going gets tough and the game is starting to slip away let's resort to thuggery and shake hands and smile afterwards as it's just a game of rugby thumbsup

good one rubyguby, but like fly says, you must liken the SA POSTERS to a rugby player.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:05 pm

Wales - Kearney. Fast, dynamic and great ball skills. Able to turn a match on its head in broken play

England - ROG, solid not spectacular, very good at stopping a possible backline from playing expansive rugby Run

Scotland - D'Arcy, strong quick and able to make the odd break but handling errors cost him tries Wink

NZ - POC. Excellent in defense and stripping balls whilst spending large chunks of a match offside.

Last edited by eirebilly on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:05 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:

The Scots don't count as they turn up least. So for them it would be:

Scotland: Gavin Henson. Late bloomer and shower-upper. Usually too busy perfecting his next big hairdo. Good when he appears but doesn't hang around.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm

I'll get back on this one too, biltong. have to think. Good one...if only the others settled down and understood the exercise!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:09 pm

Scotland supporters : Dan Parks.

They all agree he shouldve retired a week earlier

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

SecretFly wrote:I'll get back on this one too, biltong. have to think. Good one...if only the others settled down and understood the exercise!!!

It will help if they read t h e i n s t r u c t i o n s s l o w l y. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:12 pm

Feic, i missed the point entirely Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

eirebilly wrote:Feic, i missed the point entirely Laugh
Laugh I just spat all over my bloody laptop, thanks Billy.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:15 pm

There i was thinking that i was being all clever and funny...

Must first read instructions before posting in order not to look like a complete muppet Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:16 pm

It's merely a case of being witty and although everyone is laughing their butts off, they wonder where the hell you are coming from.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm

Slinking away from this thread now before i make an even bigger eejit of myself Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

English posters - Dylan Hartley.

Bravado and confident talk when its going well, but as soon as things start to go wrong and they have to start back-pedalling, instead of taking it like a man and being shown up in front of everyone, they stand up and get the ref* involved in a penalty decision that could go either way.

appletini

* - interchangable with mods

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm

English posters - Austin Healy. Talk themselves into holes that the team have to dig them out of.

Welsh posters - Ian Evans. Prone to gaffs such as sexist or homophobic 'jokes' on twitter.

Ulster posters - Schalk Berger. Touchy, touchy, touchy.

Other Irish posters - any Irish player. Talk the arse off a donkey and prone to introspection and infighting.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

Welsh Posters - Shane Williams

Did an outrageous celebration complete with sommersaults, air punching and chest beating on scoring a try in the last minute of his career against Australia despite Wales being well beaten. Very similar to the majority of Welsh posters here who can see the glass half full no matter how badly beaten they were or how poorly they played. Always willing to celebrate an almost-win, moral victory or encouraging performance, or install themselves as defacto-RWC victors and self-appointed neutral-favourites despite having actually been comfortably beaten. Yes, the perennially low bar and rabid celebration of mediocrity is an inspiration.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm

Why thank you Mitey Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Welsh Posters - Shane Williams

Did an outrageous celebration complete with sommersaults, air punching and chest beating on scoring a try in the last minute of his career against Australia despite Wales being well beaten. Very similar to the majority of Welsh posters here who can see the glass half full no matter how badly beaten they were or how poorly they played. Always willing to celebrate an almost-win, moral victory or encouraging performance, or install themselves as defacto-RWC victors and self-appointed neutral-favourites despite having actually been comfortably beaten. Yes, the perennially low bar and rabid celebration of mediocrity is an inspiration.

good one mitey. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:39 pm

biltongbek wrote:

good one mitey. Very Happy

Begrudgingly I should say, the relentless support and belief in their team is an inspiration; just since it's St. David's day and the sun is shining Wink
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

Surely England supporters following our loss over Wales? Its the first time weve lost to them with such passion and pride in some time, im saurprissed Lancaster didnt have the boys recreate the famous " well we didnt lose to NZ by as much as normal" lap of honour.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:49 pm

Glas a du's are pretty damn good! I like them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

Ireland: Andrew Merthens

One of my favourite players and one of my favourite posters to deal with. Mercurial and witty were words often used to describe Merths and I find Irish posters to be very much of that ilk. Their team is full of talent but often overlooked because of obvious shortcomings. With Merths it was his defence and with Irish posters it´s their inability to talk themselves up. They´d rather make a joke but in a way it´s a clever way to be humble about your obvious talents.

South Africa: Richard Loe. Just kidding Biltong! Jacques Fourie is a favourite player of mine (or sadly was as he´s gone to Japan). It amazed me how much this guy was underrated. Despite his obvious talents and ability to break the line, SA posters are often labelled under the boys on the veld who eat wild warthogs for brekky on a briar. But generally they are no-nonsense straight-shooters who are very skilled at what they do and yet are often underrated.

Australia: Zinzan Brooke or David Campese. Loud, brash and in your face but always good for a laugh. Very knowledgeable and their team is able to do things that other teams are not capable of.

I´ll have a think about the rest later. Nice post mate.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm

England - Lawrence Dallaglio

Happy to tell people that we're still the best even though our time has passed. Fiercely patriotic. Happy to be controversial but confident. Not the best pundit but does occasionally talk good sense. Generally successful. Unpopular with many other nations.

Scotland - Chris Paterson

Quiet,dignified and slowly getting on with their job. Hoping for a future Scotland that doesn't rely on the boot.

Wales - Jonathan Davies (older one)

Ludricrously optimistic about their side, very passionate about their team but susceptible to absolute howlers in regards to knowledge. Like Jonathan Davies they hark back to the good old days. Prone to the same arguments - "Numbers!".

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:South Africa: Richard Loe. Just kidding Biltong! Jacques Fourie is a favourite player of mine (or sadly was as he´s gone to Japan). It amazed me how much this guy was underrated. Despite his obvious talents and ability to break the line, SA posters are often labelled under the boys on the veld who eat wild warthogs for brekky on a briar. But generally they are no-nonsense straight-shooters who are very skilled at what they do and yet are often underrated.

It may not be warthogs, but we do that, the warthogs are used for potjiekos (a local stew) or biltong. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:02 pm

Nice one on Scotland beshocked, that is rather accurate. OK
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

Saw Chris Paterson doing the mid-game man with the mike on the field role during the Scotland game. After so long watching him play that was I think the first time I heard him speak, so much anyway.

I always liked him as a player and glad his personality off the field matched my perceptions of him. It doesn't always work out that way.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:14 pm

Scotland - Jan Hendrik de Beer. Fundamentally on two points. (1) Extremely unlikely to score a try (2) Still responsible for some of the worst nightmares of English rugby supporters.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

Wales - Arsene Wenger. Never see the incident as others see it.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

Why thank you very much Rava Very Happy

(we need a bowing gracefully smiley)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:56 pm

Glas a du wrote:Why thank you very much Rava Very Happy

(we need a bowing gracefully smiley)

Touchy my oirse Whistle

notworthy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:13 pm

I knew you couldn't resist it Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Scotland England - Jan Hendrik de Beer. Fundamentally on two points. (1) Extremely unlikely to score a try (2) Still responsible for some of the worst nightmares of English rugby supporters.

Fixed for you

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:40 pm

Welsh posters - Jiffy: does a lot of talking and everybody neutral gets fed up and wishes he'd just shut his piehole. Actually has much more insight than everybody would like to admit. Usually gets results his way in the end though. Warren Gatland could also be likened to Welsh posters Wink

Irish posters - George Hook: maybe not a player but a nice, confident, bantering personality who cannot see past an Ireland victory in advance. Afterwards is gracious in defeat but puts it down entirely to Irish errors rather than the opposition playing too well Whistle

English posters - John Inverdale: Drawls on and on, unable to prevent himself bringing up bad memories for other teams no matter how distant and good omens for England on the day. Unable to conceal smugness when England are doing well rose

Scottish posters - Stuart Hogg: the symbol of a sudden u-turn in style and numbers on the forum. Only a couple of Scottish fans on the old 606 who constantly preached gloom and doom for the team's future, whereas now they are plentiful in number and actually experiencing optimism for the first time in a good few seasons Braveheart

Me - Stephen Larkham: usually scintillating and effective, though critically ignored and underappreciated mad

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Thu 01 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

Welsh posters - Henson: Actually talented and decent bloke who's not as dumb as he looks, but this is over shadowed by the few moments of stupidity (that often get blown out of proportion).

English posters - Sheridan: Can give a good punch, but can't take one Wink

New zealand posters - Cipriani: Either brilliant or awful but never really around long enough to have a solid opinion of.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next