The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2

+39
niwatts
Taylorman
ChequeredJersey
Cardiff Taffy
alcoombe
nganboy
justified sinner
kiakahaaotearoa
majesticimperialman
Glas a du
maestegmafia
TJ1
doctor_grey
MajorRoadWorks
tooboredtowork
bedfordwelsh
Taffineastbourne
RDW
Morgannwg
Red Right
thebluesmancometh
MonkeyOwain12
Submachine
miteyironpaw
formerly known as Sam
A World Cup and 3 Finals
RubyGuby
hugehandoff
rodders
Ozzy3213
Biltong
George Carlin
whocares
chewed_mintie
RuggerRadge2611
Geordie
eirebilly
offload
HERSH
43 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Fullback Poll

FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 29 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap34%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 36 ]
FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 105

FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Empty FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2

Post by HERSH Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:36 am

First topic message reminder :

606v2 selects the Greatest Rugby XV of all time.

Today’s choice - FULLBACK.

Please play nicely.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Empty Re: FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:23 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
I'm afriad it's mostly sentimental twaddle

Mitey

That just says all I have ever needed to know about you, lets disect this bit by bit for your more accurate humiliation...

JPR was a good player in the amateur era. But lets be honest, by today's standards he wouldn't even get selected for a 2nd division club side's reserves.

You can apply this to ANY player that didn't play proffesional rugby, even the greats in your mind!

We see time and time again players who stand out at club level who just can't foot it with the ferocity and pace of the modern game.

You mean like Robshaw, Corbisiero, Strettle etc...

Possibly the thing that made him stand out at the time was his size, which is comparable with that of an average modern full back.

No it wasn't his size, it was his size, speed, skill, and those hits in defence! If you want to talk size differenciation, you could look at Lomu, and how he would be distinctly average in today's game, most wingers are now faster and much stronger than he was!

But let's be honest, for starters he played only just over 50 tests. Half the number of some of the modern legends.

Some of the modern legends get caps for looking at the shirt, back then you had to earn them, and tests were accounted accordingly. Not to mention his doctoring at the same time as playing.

Secondly for all the hoo-ha about his "lethal attacking" he only scored half a dozen tries. And lets remember that defences were nowhere near as good as they are now at the time.

Defences weren't as strong as they are now, but neither were attacking plays, strike moves, training techniques etc... It was simple 1v1 1v2 1v3 rugby.

The team, in his time won at just over 71%. Hardly the stuff of legends as they are re-imagined now.

Which team is this? Wales or the lions or a combo? Since when does win rate = player ability?

Mate stop humiliating yourself with this twaddle!

I'm not humiliating myself at all - I agree with all the points you made. But the thing is, I'm not dredging up some amateur era player as "the best ever".

For all that some fans go on about the great and legendary attacking prowess of JPR Williams, you'd think he would have scored 100 tries, not 6.

His "defensive hits" as you put it are exactly a factor of his above average size for the time.

Note: I'm not claiming Lomu was the greatest winger...where did you get this idea from? And what does that have to do with anything?

When I compare JPR Williams to modern professional full backs, who play a far faster, tougher game, more frequently, are larger, faster, stronger, score my tries, deal with more pressure on and off the field, are scrutinised more highly for their personal conduct and on-field antics, then frankly in my opinion he's just not that special. Maybe then, but not now. I don't agree that he's the greatest full back of all time. That's my point. Not sure why I should feel "humiliated" for expressing a valid opinion. Fact is, players from yesteryear tend to be exaggerated, as do victories. Watch some of these old matches again and frankly the level of skill is intolerably poor by today's standards. It's all well and good to say "judge him by the standard of the day", but we're picking an "all time best" here. It's like saying a sprinter from the 20's was better than Usain Bolt. It's just not true, regardless of what kind of shoes he wore or what the track was made of.

It seems the majority of people agree with me too, since Cullen is now leading the poll.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2  - Page 3 Empty Re: FULLBACK - Greatest XV Ever voted by 606v2

Post by stlowe Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

The other problem with comparing players across eras is that few are truly qualified to do so. I'd wager that a number of posters have voted for players based on what they've been told, highlight videos and maybe one or two classic and highly heralded games in full. That's quite different from seeing the majority of their international and club performances in full, which would contain more than just their gilded moments.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:26 pm

Eclipse wrote:Well said Bluesman! 50 caps then would be the equivalent of well over 100 these days.

50 caps then would be the equivalent of 25 today, based on the physicality of the game.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

stlowe wrote:The other problem with comparing players across eras is that few are truly qualified to do so. I'd wager that a number of posters have voted for players based on what they've been told, highlight videos and maybe one or two classic and highly heralded games in full. That's quite different from seeing the majority of their international and club performances in full, which would contain more than just their gilded moments.

Absolutely stlowe, that is exactly the point I tried to make earlier, albeit not in such a concice manner. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

I don't think anyones comparing JPR, there's just a poster discrediting one of the worlds all time greats, its pretty sad to see on a rugby forum, especially those 71 and 74 Lions tours thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:36 pm

Ruby to be fair the points he put across(albeit not very diplomatic manner) is not incorrect.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

"JPR was a good player in the amateur era. But lets be honest, by today's standards he wouldn't even get selected for a 2nd division club side's reserves."

If you see that as being correct then I'm a bit surprised, the guy was actually playing for a 2nd XV well into his 50's.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:39 pm

There is exactly the problem Ruby - it's all about sentimentality.

"Oh the GREAT JPR" how dare you impune his good name! He WAS an all time great, because it is collectively believed to be true.

Sure, I'm not doubting he was great in his era.

But all time greatest ever? No way. Sorry. Just no way. There have been much better players since. It's a natural progression and not something you need to be upset about.

Vintage racing cars? Very fine pieces of engineering for their day. And undoutably contributed techniques that were built on incrementally to get where we are today. But an out and out comparison of a 1920's car with a latest F1 beast? No comparison.

Only a romanticised view of the past could lead to such erroneous failure of logic.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

So by your standards Mitey Aled Brew is officially better than Jonah Lomu was?!

Thanks for that mate clap

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:45 pm

No bluesman, I didn't say that. I love the way you guys like to put straw man arguments into my mouth and then set fire to them.

I'm just saying there are better full backs than JPR Williams, and believing he will always be some unsurpassable benchmark is emotionally motivated sentimental twaddle based on misty eyed longing for the past and not objective analysis, reason and logic.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:59 pm

believing he will always be some unsurpassable benchmark is emotionally motivated sentimental twaddle based on misty eyed longing for the past and not objective analysis, reason and logic.

No one mentioned anything about Johnny Wilkinson thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

The wum's of the 70's wouldn't stand a chance against mitey. Sure they were more eloquent but they just wouldn't have the stamina and fitness to keep it going for so long.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:09 pm

Cardiff Taffy wrote:The wum's of the 70's wouldn't stand a chance against mitey. Sure they were more eloquent but they just wouldn't have the stamina and fitness to keep it going for so long.

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

RubyGuby wrote:"JPR was a good player in the amateur era. But lets be honest, by today's standards he wouldn't even get selected for a 2nd division club side's reserves."

If you see that as being correct then I'm a bit surprised, the guy was actually playing for a 2nd XV well into his 50's.

ruby, that is where mitey's diplomacy mars his reasoning.

Mitey, you can get your argument across without going to the extreme.

I agree with you that you cannot compare an amateur player with a professional player, it is however true that in his era that williams was a great player.

This thread leads itself to unfair comparisons.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

Bilton by even remotely giving some credence to his arguments you are falling into the gutter of rugby discussion - To try to legitimise what this guy knows exacly what he is trying to achieve is something else mate - you surprise me

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

I agree with Biltong, in everything he has said in that post.

JPR Williams was undoutably a great player in his era AND a legend of the game forever more.

But on a cold factual comparison of attributes and achievements, he ranks lower than many modern day full backs.

Might he have matched them if he was around now and could take advantage of the professional environment? who knows? maybe, maybe not, maybe he might have Gavin Henson'ed it. That's not something that is easy to evaluate.

Of course, this thread was created by notorious WUM extraordinaire, HERSH, and as such typically creates more friction per square milimetre of text than your average high density sand paper, deliberately vague about what constitutes the "Greatest", and with a set of choices (and omissions) deliberately designed to inflame.

The biggest misjudgement you can make is to get upset or antagonised, because he FEEDS on it. And it makes him STRONGER.

You don't want that, surely?

Last edited by miteyironpaw on Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

You haven't seen the Centers article yet! Wink
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:I agree with Biltong, in everything he has said in that post.

JPR Williams was undoutably a great player in his era AND a legend of the game forever more.

But on a cold factual comparison of attributes and achievements, he ranks lower than many modern day full backs.

Might he have matched them if he was around now and could take advantage of the professional environment? who knows? maybe, maybe not, maybe he might have Gavin Henson'ed it. That's not something that is easy to evaluate.

Of course, this thread was created by notorious WUM extraordinaire, HERSH, and as such typically creates more friction per square milimetre of text than your average high density sand paper, deliberately vague about what constitutes the "Greatest", and with a set of choices (and omissions) deliberately designed to inflame.

Mitey just as a reference as to why you wind up posters. If you were to have only posted what was in bold, you would have gotten your point across without upsettng any other posters.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

HERSH wrote:You haven't seen the Centers article yet! Wink

Yahoo Look out, I sense a "Scott Gibbs was a fat bag of shoite" coming from somewhere thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:30 pm

Gawd allMitey lighten up man !
JPR was / is a legend, and a hero to me, an Englishman !
No need to get all pedantic about eras and ages over this article.
Hersh, no more positions please ! 1-14 Mitey might blow up.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

gregortree wrote:Gawd allMitey lighten up man !
JPR was / is a legend, and a hero to me, an Englishman !
No need to get all pedantic about eras and ages over this article.
Hersh, no more positions please ! 1-14 Mitey might blow up.

Thank god a sane man has passed by - Cheers Gregor, remarkable player and individual thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:56 pm

JPR was a fantastic player, my Dad played with him at St Mary's and likes to remind us of it. However, from what he has said, from what I have heard from others and from what I have seen in the press and in the brief time every year that comes to watch Imperial's Varsity, as an individual he was apparently a nasty man and not a great doctor.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:01 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:JPR was a fantastic player, my Dad played with him at St Mary's and likes to remind us of it. However, from what he has said, from what I have heard from others and from what I have seen in the press and in the brief time every year that comes to watch Imperial's Varsity, as an individual he was apparently a nasty man and not a great doctor.

And a medicore full back by modern standards. Run

I know. I know. See you the same time tomorrow.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:36 pm

Why oh why do you persist with this stuff,have those on that list would`nt warrant the name great.Try Gerry Brand,George Nepia,Don Clarke,Fergie m C Cormack,Carbine Wallace,Pierre Villpreux.
It is just a matter of opinion that can never be proved.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:02 pm

Ruby.
ok, thanks. Well, we had a better rugby attitude back in the pre-pro pre-606 70s. Lions meant something unifying. Much more friendly 'club' attitude to the game. The jealousy / rivalry seems to have since become more bitter. Of course, we can blame web anonymity for this sad decline.

Anyway, looks like we are destined to meet up again over on Hersh's 'Centres' thread, lord help us all. So, let me go and take a look then....

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:45 am

gregortree wrote:Ruby.
ok, thanks. Well, we had a better rugby attitude back in the pre-pro pre-606 70s. Lions meant something unifying. Much more friendly 'club' attitude to the game. The jealousy / rivalry seems to have since become more bitter. Of course, we can blame web anonymity for this sad decline.

Anyway, looks like we are destined to meet up again over on Hersh's 'Centres' thread, lord help us all. So, let me go and take a look then....

thumbsup cake coffee

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3