The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Le Crunch - EvF thread

+25
maestegmafia
flankertye
EnglishReign
Rory_Gallagher
Adam
Chjw131
Foxton249
stlowe
nobbled
ChequeredJersey
munkian
miteyironpaw
whocares
thebluesmancometh
A World Cup and 3 Finals
majesticimperialman
rodders
HERSH
eirebilly
Geordie
LondonTiger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Triangulation
RubyGuby
Portnoy
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Le Crunch - EvF thread - Page 3 Empty Le Crunch - EvF thread

Post by Portnoy Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:47 am

First topic message reminder :

France: Team: 15-Clement Poitrenaud, 14-Vincent Clerc, 13-Aurelien
Rougerie, 12-Wesley Fofana, 11-Julien Malzieu, 10-Lionel
Beauxis, 9-Julien Dupuy, 8-Imanol Harinordoquy, 7-Julien
Bonnaire, 6-Thierry Dusautoir (captain), 5-Yoann Maestri,
4-Pascal Pape, 3-Nicolas Mas, 2-Dimitri Szarzewski,
1-Jean-Baptiste Poux.
Replacements: 16-William Servat, 17-Vincent Debaty,
18-Lionel Nallet, 19-Louis Picamoles, 20-Morgan Parra,
21-Francois Trinh-Duc, 22-Maxime Mermoz

ESPN quote "
Morgan Parra and Francois Trinh-Duc have been axed for France's Six Nations clash with England in Paris on Sunday.

The halfbacks have been rotated out by Philippe Saint-Andre following last weekend's 17-17 draw with Ireland, a result that ended their hopes of a possible Grand Slam decider against Wales in the final round"

England:

Ben Foden; Chris Ashton, Manu Tuilagi, Brad Barritt, David
Strettle; Owen Farrell, Lee Dickson; Alex Corbisiero, Dylan Hartley, Dan
Cole; Mouritz Botha, Geoff Parling; Tom Croft, Chris Robshaw, Ben
Morgan.

Replacements: Rob Webber, Matt Stevens, Tom Palmer, Phil Dowson, Ben Youngs, Charlie Hodgson, Mike Brown.

As expected, England unchanged.

ESPN quote "
Morgan Parra and Francois Trinh-Duc have been axed for France's Six Nations clash with England in Paris on Sunday.

The halfbacks have been rotated out by Philippe Saint-Andre following last weekend's 17-17 draw with Ireland, a result that ended their hopes of a possible Grand Slam decider against Wales in the final round"

Last edited by Portnoy on Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Le Crunch - EvF thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Le Crunch - EvF thread

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:41 pm

I would like to see more of Fofana though whocares (you really have to change your name Laugh ) because he does look like a very strong boy. PSA obviously sees something in him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:44 pm

Whocares - who is expected to take over Rougerie at 13 when he goes?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:44 pm

I am rubbish at finding myself a decent web forum user name Billy - in the old 606 iI was Womentennisisboring ! so believe I actually improved!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

"Womentennisisboring" Laugh

It is a slight improvement OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:53 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Whocares - who is expected to take over Rougerie at 13 when he goes?

Fritz (28) or Yann David(23) for the short term (summer tour in argentina maybe)
like to see someone like chavancy at some point as well. Bastaraud (if he loses weight) should be close.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:37 pm

They look pretty average to me - Rougerie is passed it and the 9 and 10 axis is weak - Plenty of power and flair to give anyone a game but I've been unconvinced from the first game and I did not share that PSA was suddenly going to get them playing much different. I expect them to win by 10-14 this weekend and maybe that will give them some momentum for Cardiff - I hope so thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:44 pm

Basteraud is a class player I think, but has piled on way too much weight lately.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 07 Mar 2012, 6:56 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Sheridan
Cole
Attwood
Palmer
Haskell
Armitage
Morgan
Dickson
Flood
Sharples
Farrell
May
Armitage

For all of your English baiting, that's actually a good team. I would probably swap Farrell for Trinder and D Armitage for Foden/Brown though.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

Guys, just remember Lancaster has only had 3 games in charge so fair. With a mostly new team.
I promise you, it will be a much better performance against france. Oh and are we at twickers for this match?

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

flankertye wrote:Guys, just remember Lancaster has only had 3 games in charge so fair. With a mostly new team.
I promise you, it will be a much better performance against france. Oh and are we at twickers for this match?

Nah, we are at Twickers number 2 though.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:31 pm

When is the English team announcement?

Just so I can update the OP in a timely fashion.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:36 pm

Portnoy wrote:When is the English team announcement?

Just so I can update the OP in a timely fashion.

Tomorrow morning Portnoy

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:43 pm

English reign

I was umming and ahhing about Trinder!!!
I think Foden needs a dropping to get his head right, and not a fan of Brown, thats why I went for Armitage!

What English baiting? I am a considerate poster, if I say something I generaly beleive it, unless I bite to a bit of fishing now and then, but who doesn't?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

Hi lads when is this England team being announced? Why so late?

Also Galthie has stated in the press that he doesn't rate this England team.

Galthie said:-

“England have been going downhill for two World Cups. Since I have taken an interest in them, I have never seen them so weak. They are fragile, young, inexperienced and in search of tactics, strategy and players.

When they played Wales, it was like a little team playing against a monster. I have never seen that in an England team. Normally the English have confidence and fluidity, but that is no longer the case. They are entrenched in doubt.

England have two million licensed players, so they have the talent. But they have lost players and have not rebuilt. They have made lots of mistakes. That is their problem.

Now they have an interim manager and the father of a player in charge. The guy who takes over running that team will face a hard slog.”

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:18 pm

Well it never hurts to be written off by opposition worthies, it's just the thing for motivation. Come on lads, get it together for this one at least.

Last edited by aitchw on Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling correction)

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:26 pm

Anyone know when the team is announced then?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 08 Mar 2012, 8:35 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Hi lads when is this England team being announced? Why so late?

“England have been going downhill for two World Cups. Since I have taken an interest in them, I have never seen them so weak. They are fragile, young, inexperienced and in search of tactics, strategy and players.

When they played Wales, it was like a little team playing against a monster. I have never seen that in an England team. Normally the English have confidence and fluidity, but that is no longer the case. They are entrenched in doubt.

England have two million licensed players, so they have the talent. But they have lost players and have not rebuilt. They have made lots of mistakes. That is their problem.

Now they have an interim manager and the father of a player in charge. The guy who takes over running that team will face a hard slog.”

Lubberly jubberly. I love that sort of comment. Where's Brian Moore when you need him?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:22 pm

Frenchman In Criticising England Shocker!! I LOVE Le Crunch!

Team is announced tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:54 pm

Portnoy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Hi lads when is this England team being announced? Why so late?

Lubberly jubberly. I love that sort of comment. Where's Brian Moore when you need him?

I am not 100% sure but I think he will be in Paris, unfortunately you'll have young Hartley packing down at Hooker though

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 7:03 am

Well i dont know what match Galthie was watching but for me when i saw England play Wales, there was a vast improvement in England and the werent in the slightest overawed (first 3 minutes aside). I would also not describe England as weak...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Mar 2012, 7:10 am

eirebilly wrote:

Well i dont know what match Galthie was watching but for me when i saw England play Wales, there was a vast improvement in England and the werent in the slightest overawed (first 3 minutes aside). I would also not describe England as weak...

change 3 minutyesfor 25 and you may have a point.
the same could have been said for the france world cup gamne though, but the mantra is that was a shambolic disaster.
the only reason we look at the wales game as a positive improvement is because england were so utterly woefull the two previous games.
they maybe arent weak, but they sure arent strong...and not anywhere near as strong as they should be given the resources ( not entirely lancasters fault)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 7:13 am

In fairness PSW. England have looked strong (not spectacular). The attacking threat is not as it once was but it will get there.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:01 am

Breaking news:

England:

Morgan.

Replacements: Rob Webber, Matt Stevens, Tom Palmer, Phil Dowson, Ben Youngs, Charlie Hodgson, Mike Brown.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:09 am

I predict a dullfest.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

Portnoy wrote:I predict a dullfest.

After his initial changes for Wales you would hope Lancaster would have the guts to drop poor performers, Ashton, Foden and Hartley and give the replacements a shout. Ashton and Foden have been in bad form the last two games.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

Portnoy

That was my original thought too!

With Baritt at 12 and Tuilagi at 13 the back 3 will again be out of the game, the only nous there has to come from Farell, Dicksons been good, but he's hardly going to light up Paris, more pressure on Farell to produce something special... Chip and chase anyone?

Do I take it Youngs and Hodgson are on the bench, hardly game changers IMO.

I now think what Galthie says rings a small amount of truth, this team wreaks of keeping the score down.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:19 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Portnoy wrote:I predict a dullfest.

After his initial changes for Wales you would hope Lancaster would have the guts to drop poor performers, Ashton, Foden and Hartley and give the replacements a shout. Ashton and Foden have been in bad form the last two games.

Its increasingly looking like he only moved Farrell to 10 and recalled Flood at all because of Hodgsons injury.

Ambition and attacking threat are not Lancasters primary concerns.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:37 am

I predict a dullfest.

I'm more hopeful. I think now this back line has played together a couple of times and there has been the occasional quick ball we will see more attack. So much has to go right inside them before the outside backs can really show what they can do that I think people have been expecting a lot to expect the machine to be purring at full throttle first time out. This is rather more of an experimental prototype at present and I'm fairly pleased at progress to date.

The French might just overrun us, on a Gallic backlash from last week's draw. Always possible. But Farrell is quite possibly the future - let's find out where he's at now. And that means a run of a few games, at least. And I'd rather have Flood getting game time at Tigers than warming the bench.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

Anyone else think Goode is playing well and unlucky not to have made the squad?!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

Portnoy wrote:Breaking news:

England:

Morgan.

I really hate that bench, again. Is the wing not considered worth covering?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:42 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Anyone else think Goode is playing well and unlucky not to have made the squad?!

Its that old leicester sleection po0licy bias again....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:01 am

I have slightly worried sense that the criticism of lack of attacking intent may get through to Farrell and he might take silly risks trying to disprove it. Other than that I'm happy to let SL do his thing. This 6 Nations is becoming less about the final standings and more about whether he can do enough to get the job. I had low expectations re results from the off and that hasn't changed, in fact we have the wins under our belt that I expected. Everything else is about young players getting the exposure to international rugby that they need if they are to develop and Lancaster finding his feet in the top flight.

A good performance is all I want from the team win or lose. On balance neither side has exactly set the tourny on fire so I see only a small French advantage. PSA is in a strangely similar situation to SL in that he has the task of refocussing the skills available and changing the mentality of his team. For me the jury is still out on that for the French but is partly achieved for us.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:04 am

England have already got a small phsycological advantage in the Parra and Trinh-Duc have been dropped to the bench. Thats a clear indication that PSA expects a very tight and defensively orientated match.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:06 am

aitchw wrote:I have slightly worried sense that the criticism of lack of attacking intent may get through to Farrell and he might take silly risks trying to disprove it. Other than that I'm happy to let SL do his thing. This 6 Nations is becoming less about the final standings and more about whether he can do enough to get the job. I had low expectations re results from the off and that hasn't changed, in fact we have the wins under our belt that I expected. Everything else is about young players getting the exposure to international rugby that they need if they are to develop and Lancaster finding his feet in the top flight.

A good performance is all I want from the team win or lose. On balance neither side has exactly set the tourny on fire so I see only a small French advantage. PSA is in a strangely similar situation to SL in that he has the task of refocussing the skills available and changing the mentality of his team. For me the jury is still out on that for the French but is partly achieved for us.

Which makes it all the more depressing hes chasing damage limitation

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

PSW, you really should be Irish. Your negativity would do well in Irish team discussions Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:15 am

[/quote]

I really hate that bench, again. Is the wing not considered worth covering?[/quote]

I assume it's Brown for Full-back, then Foden out to the wing to cover it.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

In Malzeau and Clerc France have some deadly wings so a specialist there would help - Shame Sharples isn't in there somewhere. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:21 am

PSW, Lancaster is being pulled every which way. He's a caretaker with a short contract but finds himself in the frame for the permanent job. He has held to his philosophy re discipline, blooding young players etc and now finds himself trying to live up to unreasonable expectations re results with a young inexperienced side. He may have preferred to go further with a more attacking style and the hell with results but now is expected to act like a results dominated permanent coach. I don't envy him one bit. Just you wait and see how much stick the permanent coach gets when he's appointed irrespective of who he is and what he achieves. It will be brutal. SL just needs to be allowed to get on with job.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

aitchw wrote: PSA is in a strangely similar situation to SL in that he has the task of refocussing the skills available and changing the mentality of his team. For me the jury is still out on that for the French but is partly achieved for us.

The big difference is that Phillippe St. Andre is formerly a very successful international player and a successful club coach. Lancaster is not...!

France have been lamenting their performance in conceeding a draw against Ireland in Paris. All week they have been demanding more of their team in the press, changing halfbacks, trying to solve problems. England lost at home to Wales but they saw that as progress because they only lost by a converted try.

That is toO very very different coaching mentalities. That may figure large on the result.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:13 pm

Of course they are different in many ways. PSA is drawing on a pool of experienced, skillful players and still hasn't made it click. SL is drawing on a pool of inexperienced players who's skill set is to a degree unproven with just a few who have experience. I'd say given their starting points SL is doing the better job. As far as the result is concerned SL only needs a good performance whilst PSA needs to win convincingly. Win or lose England are in a better place right now than France. The French public are not a forgiving bunch generally and PSA's head is on the block.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm

aitchw wrote:Of course they are different in many ways. PSA is drawing on a pool of experienced, skillful players and still hasn't made it click. SL is drawing on a pool of inexperienced players who's skill set is to a degree unproven with just a few who have experience. I'd say given their starting points SL is doing the better job. As far as the result is concerned SL only needs a good performance whilst PSA needs to win convincingly. Win or lose England are in a better place right now than France. The French public are not a forgiving bunch generally and PSA's head is on the block.

That would be true if England potentially had anywhere near the quantity of talent that France have.

They don't and that is what is really starting to show in England's current fortunes.

It will change, ten years ago England had talent coming out of every club in a myriad of positions. That has not been the case for a while though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:01 pm

"Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland)
Assistant referees: Nigel Owens (Wales), John Lacey (Ireland)
Television match official: Jim Yuille (Scotland)"

Abandon hope all ye that enter here...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm

Portnoy wrote:"Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland FRANCE)

Fixed that for you Port Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

Are Rolland and Owens the joint world champion homer refs?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:54 pm

Portnoy wrote:Are Rolland and Owens the joint world champion homer refs?

oh you said homER

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Portnoy wrote:"Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland FRANCE)

Fixed that for you Port Wink

Quality William pure quality Very Happy clap

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:08 pm

France are going to stuff us on Sunday and there is absolutely nothing that we can do about it. It will start with the restarts, scrums, lineouts and breakdown area and finish with a stuffing on the scoreboard.

We might as well just assume the position now.

Have great weekends everyone. My wife is dreading hers. raspberry

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:36 pm

Portnoy wrote:"Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland)

A Celtic Cabal! I love these kind of movies. I'll be watching.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:59 pm

Looking forward to Tuilagi vs Fofana, a potential highlight of the tournament if these two decide to go directly face to face.

Will Manu send Foffy cascading through the Parisian sky or will ferryboy be left grasping at thin air? We will see Drool

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:08 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Looking forward to Tuilagi vs Fofana, a potential highlight of the tournament if these two decide to go directly face to face.

Will Manu send Foffy cascading through the Parisian sky or will ferryboy be left grasping at thin air? We will see Drool

Yeah. Face to face and it's curtains for Fofana. But Fofanas's whole modus operandi is that he avoids face-offs. If Tuilagi can't see him, Fofana has probably just scored.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3