The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

POST-FIGHT CRITICISM AND THE SORE WINNER

5 posters

Go down

POST-FIGHT CRITICISM AND THE SORE WINNER Empty POST-FIGHT CRITICISM AND THE SORE WINNER

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:54 pm

Post fight criticism from the commentary team can leave the winner of a bout in a particularly unsavoury mood. Perhaps the most famous of these is Mayweather’s verbal exchange with Larry Merchant after his controversial victory over Ortiz. As you all probably remember, Mayweather took umbrage to Merchant's line of questioning and fired back with a retort stating that Larry didn't know a whole lot about boxing. Merchant's riposte, whilst not wise, made the boxing headlines for a few days after.

Who else took offence to the damning assessment of the post-fight interview?

Who proved to be a sore winner?

Back to top Go down

POST-FIGHT CRITICISM AND THE SORE WINNER Empty Re: POST-FIGHT CRITICISM AND THE SORE WINNER

Post by Rowley Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

Hopkins used to have some fairly heated exchanges with Merchant, remember after a defence against some guy called Hakkar or something similar Merchant had a fair old dig for hopkins fighting bums which got a bit lively. Agree with the general consensus Merchant should have got the picture of a Spitfire long ago but to be fair to the old boy he does not duck asking the tough questions.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

POST-FIGHT CRITICISM AND THE SORE WINNER Empty Re: POST-FIGHT CRITICISM AND THE SORE WINNER

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

rowley wrote:Hopkins used to have some fairly heated exchanges with Merchant, remember after a defence against some guy called Hakkar or something similar Merchant had a fair old dig for hopkins fighting bums which got a bit lively. Agree with the general consensus Merchant should have got the picture of a Spitfire long ago but to be fair to the old boy he does not duck asking the tough questions.

He might not duck questions, but would he duck Mayweather if he was 50 years younger? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:16 pm

Problem with Merchant is that he now seems hell bent on asking inflammatory questions, even when they are not necessary. It gets on my nerves because sometimes you just want to hear the normal questions, such as, how did fight go? Who you after next? etc and Merchant starts of with his crap about Martinez going up to 168 and stuff and the interview is done. I mean tey only get about a minute each at the end with no after fight discussion really, so do it properly.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Merchant interview with Lennox Lewis after Vitali Klitschko fight. Typical Merchant, goading fighters in interviews..

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

Didn't he make Katsidis cry after the Marquez fight by talking about his recently dead brother? I can give or take Merchant tbh.

It's hard to find that many sore winners, but Eubank Jr comes across like he feels above his opposition in terms of general body language. Hopefully he doesn't really think like that.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 19 Mar 2012, 7:32 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Problem with Merchant is that he now seems hell bent on asking inflammatory questions, even when they are not necessary. It gets on my nerves because sometimes you just want to hear the normal questions, such as, how did fight go? Who you after next? etc and Merchant starts of with his crap about Martinez going up to 168 and stuff and the interview is done. I mean tey only get about a minute each at the end with no after fight discussion really, so do it properly.

I agree it is crap for Martinez to even consider 168. At the same point, some have been arguing for Floyd to fight him at catchweight.

Anyway, I wish someone (preferably 80 years old) punches Merchant hard.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down