The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster V. Aironi

+23
MrsP
ME-109
Artful_Dodger
Golden
humphstheman
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Jenifer McLadyboy
red_stag
BelfastDickVet
pete (buachaill on eirne)
WillyGilly
geoff999rugby
eirebilly
ulster_on_the_up
marty2086
rodders
geoff998rugby
Rory_Gallagher
Notch
clivemcl
Rava
Standulstermen
Don Alfonso
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ulster V. Aironi Empty Ulster V. Aironi

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:23 pm

Provisional Ulster Squad to play Aironi, Friday 30th March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm):

Forwards:
Callum Black, Tom Court, Adam Macklin, Declan Fitzpatrick, John Afoa, Jerry Cronin, Paddy McAllister, Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Johann Muller (captain), Neil McComb, Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg, Chris Henry, Robbie Diack

Backs:
Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, Luke Marshall, Paddy Wallace, Ian Whitten, Nevin Spence, Darren Cave, Stefan Terblanche, Craig Gilroy, Andrew Trimble, Adam D’Arcy

Unavailable due to injury:
Jared Payne, Simon Danielli, Mike McComish, Tim Barker

Is there any rugby-playing adult male in Ulster not named in these lists? Would like to see Deccie get a bit of game time. Still our second best tight head.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Ulster V. Aironi Empty Re: Ulster V. Aironi

Post by Standulstermen Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

Start with

Court, Best, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Ferris, Henry, Wannenburg, Pienaar, Humph, Gilroy, Wallace, Cave, Trimble, Terblanche

bench of McAllister, Kyri, Macklin/ Fitz, Stevenson, Diack, Marshall, Spence, D'arcy

Try and rack up some scores and get the 5 points done from the get go. Then bench Afoa, Court, Best, Tuohy, Ferris, Ruan, Paddy and Trimble in one fell swoop Erm

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:34 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Start with

Court, Best, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Ferris, Henry, Wannenburg, Pienaar, Humph, Gilroy, Wallace, Cave, Trimble, Terblanche

bench of McAllister, Kyri, Macklin/ Fitz, Stevenson, Diack, Marshall, Spence, D'arcy

Try and rack up some scores and get the 5 points done from the get go. Then bench Afoa, Court, Best, Tuohy, Ferris, Ruan, Paddy and Trimble in one fell swoop Erm

I'll go with that Stand, and we can close down this article early.

Sorry Don, just kidding.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:00 pm

Its ok lads, I've texted Brian and its all sorted. We can discuss try scorers after the game Whistle

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:05 pm

No need to apologise, I agree with Stand 100% myself.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:07 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Start with

I'd be interested to see how you would take Ruan AND Paddy off with that bench! lol. Right enough though, if we want to sub both of them, we will see Paddy Jackson get some gametime. Maybe thats all a bit presumptious though?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:08 pm

Marshall in for Ruan at 9 and spence in for Paddy at 12. i dont like him there but Cave needs a full 80 as does Muller.

Easy clive thumbsup

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:12 pm

A Marshall-iHumph-Spence 9-10-12?

Maybe in the 79th minute. Providing we're three tries ahead. (All of ehich have been converted).

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

It's very simple. We start with the XV to play Munster.

Court, Best, Afoa
Tuohy, Muller
Ferris, Wannenburg, Henry
Pienaar, Humphreys
Trimble, Wallace, Cave, Gilroy
Terblanche

We then swap Spence for Cave at halftime. 40 minutes each to decide who gets to start. Diack for Ferris, McAllister for Court, D'Arcy for Trimble and Kyriacou for Best all at some point in the second half.

Take off Muller, Pienaar and Afoa late on if the game is beyond doubt.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:37 pm

I love the simplicity of the whole thing. If only it were that simple, eh?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:36 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:A Marshall-iHumph-Spence 9-10-12?

Maybe in the 79th minute. Providing we're three tries ahead. (All of ehich have been converted).

We have the bonus point wrapped up at half time in my scenario. I don't think spence is anywhere near cave for the 13 shirt

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:43 pm

Standulstermen wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:A Marshall-iHumph-Spence 9-10-12?

We have the bonus point wrapped up at half time in my scenario. I don't think spence is anywhere near cave for the 13 shirt

Why do you think he is nowhere near Cave, stand? I think Cave is the better player atm, but Spence isn't far behind.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

At the minute spence is nowhere near the 13 cave is. Plenty of time for that to change and I do think ulster Ballsed things up at the start of the season by not starting marshall at 12 and alternating cave and spence. Given caves injury profile I am sure spence will get plenty of time at 13 in the coming years

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

Fair enough, I hope Spence does learn a lot from Cave. And I agree, Spence hasn't had many chances this year at 13.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:10 am

Took a glance at the Uafc and apparently kyriacou has been suspended for a game (not sure if it is club or league disciplinary) for taking a whizz in the back of a taxi. Not sure of the truth behind it but.....

Stay classy Andy thumbsup

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

2 rumoured changes

Stevenson for Tuohy and
Whitten for Spence on the bench.
We will know soon

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

Teams up

(15-9): S Terblanche; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (capt), L Stevenson, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg;
Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, D Tuohy, W Faloon, P Marshall, I Whitten, A D’Arcy

Supposedly it is the team earmarked for the QF (with maybe Kyriacou for Brady).

Looks like Stevenson has got the nod over Tuohy and Whitten on the bench not Spence as he can cover the entire three quarter line

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

Is Tuohy being rested? Can't see him being below Stevenson for the QF. Headscratch

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:26 pm

Good team.

Would prefer spence in there over whitten truth be told but no real complaints. Tuohy being rested?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

Good call to give big Dan a rest. Look at his stats, he has put some minutes in this season.
I did think recently he was starting to look a bit jaded.

Team should be good enough to rack up some points against Aironi early on and then get the bench emptied around the 50 minute mark.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

Honest answer is I dont know.

The talk in the week was it would be the strongest team against Aironi.

By all accounts Stevenson was excellent when he came on against Treviso. It may be the one undecided selection.

I have to say Stevenson has been Ulsters unsung hero of 2012-13. He has been very good.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:36 pm

Its very difficult on players to not get recognised for their efforts. Tuohy wasnt shy about his expectations internationally. And rightfully so. Perhaps his dip in form is only partly needing a rest, and partly because he's demoralised a little.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

I suspect that is the team for the QF. Unless Tuohy is carrying a knock.

5 points needed here big time.

Any idea what sort of team we might see against Leinster in 3 weeks time?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:49 pm

I dont think Tuohys form has really dipped.

He got MOTM in one of the last home games did he not. Cant recall who we have played.....
Ospreys and Edinburgh was it? I thought he was good in these games and was running then lineout brilliantly in Mullers absence. THat being said i do think Stevenson has been good too and is a great option to have.

I suspect this is a rest and well earned.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

roddersm wrote:I suspect that is the team for the QF. Unless Tuohy is carrying a knock.

5 points needed here big time.

Any idea what sort of team we might see against Leinster in 3 weeks time?

I suspect that will depend on the result against Munster. If the unthinkable happens then it will be full steam ahead against Leinster.
If we win then I would expect certain players to be protected if there were any niggly injuries.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:12 pm

Standulstermen wrote:I dont think Tuohys form has really dipped.

He got MOTM in one of the last home games did he not. Cant recall who we have played.....
Ospreys and Edinburgh was it? I thought he was good in these games and was running then lineout brilliantly in Mullers absence. THat being said i do think Stevenson has been good too and is a great option to have.

I suspect this is a rest and well earned.

Stand I think compared to his early season form it has dipped but it seems wise to rest him with Munster around the corner and hopefully hell be back there

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

Just found out Stevenson has been told that it is up to him to grab the chance. If he delivers on Friday the suggestion is he could start against Munster.

The feeling is Stevenson has out performed Tuohy over the last 3 games.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:37 pm

To be fair, Stevenson has been playing really really well.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

so..... do we go over to the international section and complain that Stevenson wasnt called up to partner Ryan? lol.

Is it more a case of Stevenson upping his game rather than Tuohy under-performing? Or a bit of both?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

The form players should be picked. Fair play to Stevenson, hopefully he and Tuohy can drive each other on to new levels.

Nice to be building a bit of depth and competition for places there too. We'll need a strong bench to hammer... sorry I mean beat Munster.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

Serious question after POC and Ryan who should start for Ireland and given that their is no real point picking DOC, Cullen, McCarthy, Hayes etc because of age who are the next best 2nd rows.

For me Stevenson deserves to be included with the likes of Toner, Nagle and Tuohy who are the only other names mentioned.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

A couple of posts before the Edinburgh game 4 weeks ago: -

Rava wrote:We were discussing Tuohy today. I think he needs a break. Look at his minutes on the pitch, particularly with Muller absent. I would start Stevenson and Barker on Friday and give big Dan a much needed rest

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Another thing I forgot to note was that Stevenson I feel has been outplaying Tuohy the last few outings. Tuohy has been disappointing I feel, while Stevenson has got through a huge amount of work.

roddersm wrote:Stevenson had a cracker the other night, Tuohy definitely needs a break. Henry looks a bit jaded too.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:16 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Serious question after POC and Ryan who should start for Ireland and given that their is no real point picking DOC, Cullen, McCarthy, Hayes etc because of age who are the next best 2nd rows.

For me Stevenson deserves to be included with the likes of Toner, Nagle and Tuohy who are the only other names mentioned.

I don't think Nagle is anywhere near that level right now.

In my opinion Ryan is the second best 2nd row in Ireland and Toner and Tuohy were both unlucky not to make the senior squad. If Stevenson is pushing Tuohy then he should be thereabouts too.

I think Ryan and Toner need someone with a bit of grunt to partner them on the TH side, based on what I've heard from smal and Schmidt so they'd be competing for one spot and Tuohy/Stevenson for the other.

That said I think DOC, Cullen and McCarthy still have a bit to offer yet as squad players.

Hayes is noweheresville I'd imagine.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

Again, it is about combinations. I think Tuohy and Ryan as a future irish partnership would be a potentially world class combination, as Ryan is a very hard worker, and Tuohy is a very dynamic ball carrier. Both are very good line-out operators. For Ulster, Tuohy works well with Stevenson or Muller, but I am not sure if Stevenson and Muller will be as effective together.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:48 pm

Yes, but I think it's smart. Tuohy with a point to prove coming off the bench? We'll miss his ball-carrying and dynamism but we have two very hard working physical players in Stevenson and Henry who will be replaced by great link men in Tuohy and Faloon. With McAllister, Tuohy and Faloon coming on in the second half we can up the pace of the game after playing some attritional forwards orientated stuff.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ulster_on_the_up Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:17 pm

I remember seeing Stevenson after the game away to Newport earlier in the season, I remember us agreeing over our disappointment over the result, before he said 'We'll be much better next game I promise'. I spent the next week warm in the comfort of the prospect of a better performance and a win before watching us crumble at ravers to Treviso.

I think my point is that though I have been impressed with his performances of recent, I'm finding it hard to trust the man - for that (and the consistently great performances of Touhy) I hope Touhy starts the QF, although it is great to know we would have an in - form Stevenson waiting in the wings especially with Munsters strength in depth at second row, assuming POC and DRyan are fit

ulster_on_the_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:31 pm

As much as I like Tuohy, after a frustrating Six Nations featuring Irish players selected on reputation, I'm just delighted to see something of a meritocracy somewhere in Irish rugby. The Great White Hope usurped by another player putting in the effort. Bravo Stevenson and bravo McL.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:37 pm

Did I just contribute a post with not one but two "bravo"s? Time for a slap. I blame this infernal heat...

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by ulster_on_the_up Thu 29 Mar 2012, 4:04 pm

I just think Touhy offers more as a player, having said that I like many others didn't see their respective performances in the Treviso game and am very happy for Stevenson to prove me wrong (and am glad he is given the chance to if form dictates).
Does anyone think there are any other perhaps contentious decisions regarding the best available first XV or match day squad for the QF e.g. Spence/Whitten, Kyriacou/Brady for the bench, what do people see as our strongest XV + replacements

ulster_on_the_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 29 Mar 2012, 5:49 pm

Stevenson has been going well and he has a chance. If he doesn't take it Tuohy will remain first choice and if he does, fair play. It's a meritocracy. Tuohy will be smarting to get his place back.

Judge Stevenson purely on how he does against Aironi on Friday.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 29 Mar 2012, 5:57 pm

I like the balance withing the Ulster team. They have been building towards this for some time so i am really happy to see them reaping the rewards OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

We'll talk about reaping rewards (or failing to) after next weekends game. This is just get some gametime together and please god no injuries!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:10 pm

Well in my eyes they are already reaping the rewards by pushing for the HC and being very consistent. I would be dead happy if i supported them. Things are on the up.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

Yeah I'm happy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:34 pm

Its just such a shame that they will lose to Munster Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:07 pm

ulster_on_the_up.

Seroiously what did you expect Stevenson to say. He can not be held liable for other player failings.

Whatever else Tuohy has to offer Stevenson has him beaten hands down in the consistancy department.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:16 pm

Never mind the second row debate. The real question is how far has Spence fallen in the Ulster reckoning? His form hasn't been great all season and he's had a few injuries but now it looks as though he could miss out on a qf spot.

Bonus point wrapped up before half time then empty the bench at 50 minutes. Pienaar has played a lot of minutes as well this season, and regardless of the fact he didn't feature much during the WC he still must be running low.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:27 pm

I'm not against Stevenson starting at all I just don't feel Stevenson has really outperformed him. That being said if the ulster coaches/management feel that way it is really positive that they are giving him a chance. Needs to happen more within Irish rugby.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by ulster_on_the_up Thu 29 Mar 2012, 8:17 pm

I wasn't holding it against him Geoff I just thought I would slip an anecdote into my post, it has no real bearing as to who I think should be selected, I think he was just making relevant conversion he came across as a nice honest bloke.

Incidentally don't think consistent describes Stevenson this year I wasn't too impressed by him in hist first few cameos but i believe he has been on an upwards curve since then. From what I have seen of the 2 players I believe Touhy is still the better but if Stevenson performs better than him Friday night then I won't have any gripes if McLaughlin starts him against Munster

ulster_on_the_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 29 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

Would bear this in mind for tomorrow night;

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/9080.php

The corresponding fixture last year we scored two tries in the first 10 minutes, and at one point looked like we could very possibly lose. We went completely flat. Turned around at HT just 5 points up and the visitors dominated for much of the second half- thankfully Aironi (being not a great team away from home at all) couldn't translate field position and pressure into points. And we sneaked another try and a penalty to make it safe.

We've a stronger team out and I expect us to get a good win but it'll be a test of our professionalism in keeping our minds on Aironi for as long as it takes to get the bonus point an an insurmountable lead. Anyone holding anything back for next weekend could make it harder than necessary. I view this with suspicion; it's the perfect fixture to set us up for Thomond but we can complicate things for ourselves if we get complacent.

In this sense, I like that Spence and Tuohy have been dropped. Players knowing they are playing for their place next week should focus the mind...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next