The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster return to Aironi in search of Five Points - Sat 17th December, Stadio Brianteo, Monza (kick off 1.30pm GMT)

+20
The Great Aukster
flynnnio
Thomond
valjester
Kingshu
Artful_Dodger
greybeard
clivemcl
WillyGilly
Glas a du
red_stag
Notch
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
geoff998rugby
MrsP
Shafted
Don Alfonso
Standulstermen
Rava
24 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Ulster return to Aironi in search of Five Points - Sat 17th December, Stadio Brianteo, Monza (kick off 1.30pm GMT) Empty Ulster return to Aironi in search of Five Points - Sat 17th December, Stadio Brianteo, Monza (kick off 1.30pm GMT)

Post by Rava Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:26 pm

Ulster Coach Brian McLaughlin has only made one change in the starting lineup, bringing back Tom Court with Paddy McAllister moving to the bench. Nevin Spence has been named having been passed fit. Adam D'Arcy retains his place at full back with Terblanche on the bench.

Elsewhere in the Pool, Clermont defeated Leicester at the Stade Marcel Michelin 30-12 on Sunday with no bonus points scored, making Pool 4 the tightest in the tournament at this stage with just 2 points separating the top three teams.

Ulster Match Day Squad to face Aironi, Saturday 17th December, Stadio Brianteo, Monza (kick-off 1.30pm GMT)
(15-9): A D'Arcy; A Trimble, D Cave, N Spence, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg;
Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, T Barker, R Diack, P Marshall, P Jackson, S Terblanche

The match is televised live on Sky Sports behind the red button.

Last edited by Rava on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Starting 15 named.)
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ulster return to Aironi in search of Five Points - Sat 17th December, Stadio Brianteo, Monza (kick off 1.30pm GMT) Empty Re: Ulster return to Aironi in search of Five Points - Sat 17th December, Stadio Brianteo, Monza (kick off 1.30pm GMT)

Post by Rava Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:28 pm

So Luke Marshall is in the squad? If Spence doesn't make it would you fire him in or go to Whitten as a "safe" option?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ulster return to Aironi in search of Five Points - Sat 17th December, Stadio Brianteo, Monza (kick off 1.30pm GMT) Empty Re: Ulster return to Aironi in search of Five Points - Sat 17th December, Stadio Brianteo, Monza (kick off 1.30pm GMT)

Post by Standulstermen Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

Rava i think he is named in that to hold tackle bags. he isnt in the HEC squad.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm

That's what I thought Stand but seeing his name has confused me. Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 13 Dec 2011, 4:06 pm

I'd be happy with the team from last week. Whitten in for Spence if necessary. Whitten's not a bad player by any stretch, when you get right down to it.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Shafted Tue 13 Dec 2011, 4:24 pm

I think Whitten is a better 12 that Nevin, who i rate as a good player, but he is limited in this position. Whitten has excellent hands and as shown by his sorties on the wing this season that he can find good lines and play a decent offload!

Shafted

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 13 Dec 2011, 6:04 pm

Ian Humphreys didn't score a try last weekend, Paul Marshall did!!!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 13 Dec 2011, 7:52 pm

MrsP wrote:Ian Humphreys didn't score a try last weekend, Paul Marshall did!!!

Yea yea Wink

Ulster Rugby website got it wrong Whistle
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 13 Dec 2011, 8:42 pm

I dont think whitten has great hands but they probably are better than Nevins at the minute.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:42 pm

I'd be amazed if Spence makes it.

He wants to play but for his own good should be rested.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

Right there's nothing for it chaps. Cave to 12 and Trimbs to 13! 5 points please chaps! Yahoo

SUFTUM!..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:I'd be amazed if Spence makes it.

I admire his attitude.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

Whitten to start but Paddy Jackson on at 12 at 50.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:16 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I admire his attitude.

Foolhardy more like. Shouldn't be taking any chances.

Whitten to start with Cave and play the whole game. Jackson should only be brought on at 12 in an emergency. He's the back-up 10 in the squad. No doubt if Spence doesn't make it then the subs will reflect that.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:39 pm

I would go with Notch. Whitten to soften them up (although in reality i want the pack to keep it tight and 'muller' them) and if everything goes to plan bring Paddy on to run riot. I do like Spence and get the feeling he would do anything to pull on the shirt but he must be looked out for as well.

I might actually be tempted to go Cave/Terblanche in midfield. I get a good vibe off Terblanche but wouldnt drop D'arcy

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:03 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I admire his attitude.

Nothing more than silly schoolboy bravado
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:10 am

red_stag wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I admire his attitude.

Nothing more than silly schoolboy bravado

Or else he just really wants to play rugby Rolling Eyes

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:13 am

Rory, every player who has an injury wants to play. Thats just common sense. Id be amazed if any player didnt want to play rugby.

However if he is genuinely contemplating playing whilst injured its mere bravado and a shortsighted approach which doesnt help Ulster or Spence.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:16 am

Of course Stag but it is nice to see it means so much to him. The lad is only 21 so silly schoolboy bravado isnt so far fetched at that age. He has had possibly 1 (maximum 2) seasons as a pro. I am very confident more sensible heads will obviously spell out the idiocy of it to him and he will understand but you need that kind of dedication if you want to succeed.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:28 am

The best way to get a tbp is to be clinical on the kick off. If you can get an early try by keeping the ball and going through the phases rather than kicking it away it has a hugely demoralising effect on the other side. Also, always take your three points if you are in the lead. Get the game won before looking for the kitchen sink. Aironi are easy to frustrate if you retain ball and defend well.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:43 am

red_stag wrote:Rory, every player who has an injury wants to play. Thats just common sense. Id be amazed if any player didnt want to play rugby.

However if he is genuinely contemplating playing whilst injured its mere bravado and a shortsighted approach which doesnt help Ulster or Spence.

And of course the likes of Paul O'Connell, Brian O'Driscoll or Ritchie McCaw never took the field when injured?

I think it's a great attitude and one which marks Spence out as a potential top, top player. His commitment is exemplary and if all our players were as committed and determined as he was then we'd be in a good place.

It's for the coaches and medical staff to decide weather he should play but if Spence wasn't chomping at the bit to play in a crucil HEC game, even with a leg hanging off, I wouldn't be impressed. As a young man I'm sure he believes he's invincible and thats a good thing in my book.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:46 am

Wanted to be the first to plug Paddy Jackson at 12 but I see Notch as usual has beat me to it. Oh well you heard it here second I guess.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

I beleive three alternative options being considered - Whitten, Jackson and Terblanche.

The later would, I assume, mean Cave moving to 12.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

Has Terblanche played much at 13? Seems a risk to try an untested partnership.

Whitten would be the conservative and perhaps sensible option.

I'm disappointed though that Cave at 12 and Trimble at 13 is not in consideration.

There's plenty of options in the back 3 even without Trimble.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

I believe most of terblanches gametime in the last few years has come at 13 rodders. Lambie was more often at 15 for the sharks i was led to believe.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:09 pm

Hardly earth shattering but I am also hearing Stevenson will be given game time elsewhere so I assume Barker for the bench.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:10 pm

OK OK Stand well that seems sensible to consider him as an option then.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

Hey guys does anyone know if the Ulster v tigers tickets have gone on general sale yet?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:35 pm

Dont think so Rodders. I dont think there is a date for it yet

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:38 pm

Correct there will be no date until after this weekend and Sky have decided when the matches are played - my guess is mid week next week.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:49 pm

OK thanks guys!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:04 pm

roddersm wrote:Has Terblanche played much at 13? Seems a risk to try an untested partnership.

Whitten would be the conservative and perhaps sensible option.

I'm disappointed though that Cave at 12 and Trimble at 13 is not in consideration.

There's plenty of options in the back 3 even without Trimble.

A bit of a contradiction Rodders?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm

Hmm I can see how that could be percieved that way....but to clarify I mean that Cave and Trimble are very familiar with each others games...not sure if they've ever lined out together in the centre but imo it would be less risky than playing Terblanche.

That said as Stand has pointed out that Terblanche had been playing 13 recently I don't feel so strongly about it.

I did always rate Trimble as a center though and its a shame he's never considered as a real option there anymore by club or country, despite him being more suited to the role now than he was when he played there as a youth.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:18 pm

Yes I see what you are saying but you would in effect be playing two people out of position in a very important game. Surely we have learned our lesson recently about playing people in unfamiliar positions?

I would definately go with Whitten and Cave should the need arise.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:38 pm

Well thats the logical combo Rava and presents the least risk for sure. However given that we need 5 points perhaps its worth a gamble?

Is Whitten as good a player as Trimble or Terblanche? I'd suggest not.

I don't feel particularly strongly about it but I think Cave + Trimble presents the best attacking threat and I don't think Aironi will cause us too many problems in defence (touch wood).

Is the taphouse showing this stand? Got the feckin outlaws visiting this weekend steam !
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Shafted Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:58 pm

Trimble is not a centre, he doesnt have the guile or hands for that role and Andrew agrees with me! we to be fair I agree with him as he said it first but you catch my drift he is not a centre!

Shafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:22 pm

I think he would be a fine 13 personally.. and perhaps it would be his best position given his current skillset and ability. He and Spence I feel are very similar players, except Spence has hit the physicality at a much younger age than Trimble did.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:58 pm

Shafted tell Trimble to catch himself on sir! Sure O'Driscoll and D'arcy couldn't pass and they did alright and if yer man Mcfadden can play centre anyone can Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

Here, Terblanche started 13 in his last game for sharks, and it was an important match. Also, it allows Darcy to continue at full-back. Gilroy and trimbs on the wings. Thats starting to look like a class backline!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:37 am

Shafted wrote:Trimble is not a centre, he doesnt have the guile or hands for that role and Andrew agrees with me! we to be fair I agree with him as he said it first but you catch my drift he is not a centre!

He started at centre didn't he? He was The Next BOD before Earls was The Next BOD. He could have been (and could still be) a great centre. Moving him to the wing has reaped rewards for Ulster, but with younger and sprightlier lads coming along it might be time that he made the move. It's not unusual for wingers to move into centre as their careers progress.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:42 am

greybeard wrote:

He started at centre didn't he? He was The Next BOD before Earls was The Next BOD.

Laughable to be honest - when Trimble was playing centre he was playing at 12 anyway, he was never being talked about as the next BOD or as the next Ireland 13. In fact I dont think he's played 13 for Ireland and if he has it was once.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

I agree Greybeard. How can a guy who was capped at 21 at both 12 and 13 not have the skills to play centre?

He was awesome in his 1st season at Ulster at 13. Yes he is an excellent winger now but his natural attributes make him more suited to the midfield imo. Even as a winger he's most effective when he comes infield. He's more of a creator of tries than a finisher and excellent at taking the ball up in heavy traffic.

Anyways this is another debate...I am happy to see Terblanche or Whitten get the nod but I categorically refute the suggestion that Trimble is not suited to playing centre.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:
greybeard wrote:

He started at centre didn't he? He was The Next BOD before Earls was The Next BOD.

Laughable to be honest - when Trimble was playing centre he was playing at 12 anyway, he was never being talked about as the next BOD or as the next Ireland 13. In fact I dont think he's played 13 for Ireland and if he has it was once.

Trimbles first two international caps were at 13, scoring two tries. He started at 13, because that's where he was playing for his province.

Last edited by greybeard on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:
greybeard wrote:

He was always a 13 and yes he was talked about as BOD successor. His 1st cap was at 13, his position at Ulster, against Australia when BOD was injured. He played for Ireland only once at 12, I think, against Scotland in 2008.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

3 starts at 12, against Wales, Scotland and France.

5 starts at 13, 1 replacement appearance at full back, and 7 replacement appearances at centre, mostly subbing BOD. It's not clear if he moved to 13 or 12 when he came on, although it was probably 13.

http://www.espnscrum.com/statsguru/rugby/player/15083.html?class=1;template=results;type=player

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:31 am

I like Trimble being on the wing at present, However I believe that he could make a better Centre than winger, but Ulste are ok with Centre's at present, and Wing is where he's needed and settled. I do see him playing in Centre more over the next year or so, and if he excels there could move there.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

Team announced!

(15-9): A D'Arcy; A Trimble, D Cave, N Spence, C Gilroy; I Humphreys, R Pienaar;
(1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, S Ferris, C Henry, P Wannenburg;
Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, T Barker, R Diack, P Marshall, P Jackson, S Terblanche

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:48 am

Interesting that Terblanche is on the bench again. (This should please most of yous) Still feel sorry for Paul Marshall.

But generally, pretty happy with the team.

SUFTUM!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

Until literally everyone else including him and all of his coaches worked out he was FAR more effective at wing, yes, he was a 13. His natural attributes make him a poor centre. Tunnel vision, wants to do it all himself, and doesn't use his feet going into contact enough. Spence is the same, but is still young enough to be molded into a centre.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

There you go Spence is fit anyways so we didn't need to worry! Yahoo
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next