The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Springbok training squad announced for incoming England tour.

+7
emack2
Bathite
Taylorman
Blueschief
Morgannwg
RDW
Biltong
11 posters

Go down

First Springbok training squad announced for incoming England tour. Empty First Springbok training squad announced for incoming England tour.

Post by Biltong Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 am

Heyneke Meyer has announced his group of players selected for the first of three training camps to be held in Pretoria next week in preparation for the incoming English touring team.

It will consist of Lions and Cheetah players as both these two Franchises have a bye next week.

“I’ve been mindful of the fact that we won’t have a lot of time to prepare for England, but these sessions will greatly assist in getting the players ready for when we get together a week before the first Test,” said Meyer.

“The five Vodacom Super Rugby franchises have been very accommodating in assisting us with the release of players for the various planning sessions and walk through camps.

“We’ve planned these camps in accordance with their bye weekends during Vodacom Super Rugby and I’ve given the franchises the assurance that there won’t be any intense field training during our sessions - it will be mostly theoretical planning sessions as well as walk through sessions of our planned plays.”

The second planning camp, from April 23-26 in Pretoria, will feature players from the Bulls and the Sharks, while the third camp will take place in Cape Town with Stormers players from May 1-3.

“I’m planning to look quite wide at most of the eligible players from our five Vodacom Super Rugby squads when I invite players to attend our sessions - including currently injured players. The more players that are aware of how we’d like to play this year, the better for the Springboks’ preparations for a very tough season,” said Meyer.

Players invited to the first Springbok planning camp:

Forwards:
Coenie Oosthuizen, Caylib Oosthuizen, Pat Cilliers, CJ van der Linde, WP Nel, Adriaan Strauss, Bandise Maku, Callie Visagie, Izak van der Westhuizen, Davon Raubenheimer, Franco van der Merwe, Heinrich Brüssow, Derick Minnie, Pieter Labuschagne, Ashley Johnson, Juan Smith, Josh Strauss, Philip van der Walt

Backs:
Piet van Zyl, Michael Bondesio, Johan Goosen, Elton Jantjies, Butch James, Willie le Roux, Andries Strauss, Doppies La Grange, Robert Ebersohn, Alwyn Hollenbach, Lionel Mapoe, Jaco Taute, Hennie Daniller

I personally think this is very astute of him to not only consider the usual group of 40-45 players, but to use these three camps as a basis to eliminate players in a methodical manner and looking at a wider group of potential candidates.

We haven’t seen the likes of this type of process for quite some time in Springbok rugby. This does give me a very positive feeling as it indicates Heyneke Meyer is planning this in the correct manner. Consider all form players and then work your way from there, leave no stone unturned.

Hopefully this is also an indication that he will keep looking at a progressive game plan as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

First Springbok training squad announced for incoming England tour. Empty Re: First Springbok training squad announced for incoming England tour.

Post by Biltong Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:28 am

These are the players I would expect will get close scrutiny from Heyneke Meyer.

Coenie Oosthuizen, WP Nel, Adriaan Strauss, Heinrich Brüssow, Derick Minnie, Ashley Johnson, Josh Strauss,

Johan Goosen, Andries Strauss, Robert Ebersohn, Alwyn Hollenbach, Jaco Taute, Hennie Daniller

It seems the opinion amongst south africans is that Meyer is pulling these groups together to discuss a collective mindset regarding gameplan for the five franchises as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

First Springbok training squad announced for incoming England tour. Empty Re: First Springbok training squad announced for incoming England tour.

Post by RDW Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:51 am

How has WP Nel been playing this year?

Obviously very interested as he is coming to Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:51 am

He is in top form RDW, he has been a star for the Cheetahs, I expect he would get a shot at the English in June, if he doesn't he'll be very unlucky.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:04 am

Any uncapped players in there who have no hope in hell of playing for SA that England can poach?

Seriously though, a great idea by Meyer. The sign of a good coach althought I still think the majority of the team will come from the other 3. Altogether, who retired after the world cup?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:18 am

If I was a SA fan right now I'd be feeling really good about the future.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Yikes... a very Graham Henry like approach... love the transparency of his planning, a good sign to let everyone know whats going on...good strategy working around the current byes to get as early a start as possible.

Hopefully from these players will know exactly what they need to work on, will have an idea of the proposed Bok template and direction and most of all, hope.

Fantastic, and we watch with keen interest as theres some awesome talent in those sides.
thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Any uncapped players in there who have no hope in hell of playing for SA that England can poach?

Seriously though, a great idea by Meyer. The sign of a good coach althought I still think the majority of the team will come from the other 3. Altogether, who retired after the world cup?

You're most likely correct Morgann, But I think the Cheethas have a few that are real close to selection. Josh Strauss from the Lions as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Fantastic about nel - can't wait for him to come over!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:15 pm

biltongbek wrote:These are the players I would expect will get close scrutiny from Heyneke Meyer.

Coenie Oosthuizen, WP Nel, Adriaan Strauss, Heinrich Brüssow, Derick Minnie, Ashley Johnson, Josh Strauss,

Johan Goosen, Andries Strauss, Robert Ebersohn, Alwyn Hollenbach, Jaco Taute, Hennie Daniller

It seems the opinion amongst south africans is that Meyer is pulling these groups together to discuss a collective mindset regarding gameplan for the five franchises as well.

Do we really think that Ashley Johnson is anywhere near a SA squad? Especially now that he is moving to Wasps?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:20 pm

He is a current Springbok, besides the Wasp financial problem need solving, I am not convinced the deal will go through yet.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:57 pm

It looks promising for The Boks,after all they have nothing to lose it isn`t a RWC year.So they will be trying in ALL tests this year,Defence is not a problem,set piece might be [by THE best Bok standards].Goal kicking no problem ,with the Stormers likely S15 holders this year,they should kick on.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 pm

I can't say i know much about SA Rugby, i am far too blinkered on the White & Rose, but i am liking the selection process.

Pick your top flight form players, gently simmer in a training camp to whittle down to the best 22, and serve steam heaps of the best international Rugby you can.

Henry has used this approach to great success, Lancaster has adopted this form approach as well, and i see Meyer is using it by the looks of things. Players have to really fight for their places, and prove they are top of their game to wear the jersey, and the fans see great Rugby. I am very excited for this tour!

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:39 pm

It is definitely a new era for South African rugby - and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:07 pm

biltongbek wrote:He is a current Springbok, besides the Wasp financial problem need solving, I am not convinced the deal will go through yet.

Didn't answer my question though....biltong, do you really think he is good enough?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Bathite, he is an extremely strong ball carrier, defensively he is decent, in my view no he isn't good enough, but we do have a quota that needs filled, and although he is just not good enough against a plethora of strong back rowers, I won't complain if he is chosen though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:39 pm

I have seen him do some amazing stuff for his province though, he just struggles to take that to the international stage. Maybe he's just a late bloomer he can only be what 26/27?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 pm

biltongbek wrote:Bathite, he is an extremely strong ball carrier, defensively he is decent, in my view no he isn't good enough, but we do have a quota that needs filled, and although he is just not good enough against a plethora of strong back rowers, I won't complain if he is chosen though.

Fair enough, I'd agree with that he is a great ball carrier and not weak defensively, just didn't think he'd be at the int level.

Your back row is ridicolous though.

Burger, Broussouw, Louw, Alberts, Spies, Smith, Vermuleun, even Cronje and Van Niekerk!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Think Johnson is one of those highlights / montage players.

Biltong - what are the quota rules exactly?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:27 am

Bathite

There are no official quota rules for the boks... however if you read Jake White's post 07 book you'll see how much pressure he was placed to choose players of colour.

Johnson is a good player but given he is on the fringes of the Cheetahs side at the moment.. certainly not a nailed on first team player and the boks have players such as Burger, Vermeulen, Brussow, Smith, Spies, Deysel, Alberts, Kankowski, Strauss, Stegmann, Potgieter, Daniel & Coetzee means that you don't just need to be a good player to get into the squad.. you need to be world class.

I doubt there is another country with such strength in depth in the backrow at the moment.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:46 am

Bathite wrote:Think Johnson is one of those highlights / montage players.

Biltong - what are the quota rules exactly?

Publically the Sports Minister said quotas have been scrapped, but in the same speech he said representation needs to progress. So it is an unwritten rule.

We won't tell you how many non whites must be in your team, but we will keep on telling you there isn't enough.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:53 am

fa0019 wrote:I doubt there is another country with such strength in depth in the backrow at the moment.
I agree. The French have plenty of decent backrow options but even that falls a long way short of what SA have to choose from.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down