The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread

+64
Duty281
1GrumpyGolfer
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
SharkSoul
Mike Power
kingraf
VDT
theundisputedY2D2
BlueCoverman
rodders
FIFA Diva
rIck_dAgless
JubbaIsle
JPX
MIG
kittenv2
Diggers
Bathman_in_London
Breadvan
TRUSSMAN66
Dr Gregory House MD
VTR
Galted
Lumbering_Jack
westisbest
Fists of Fury
two_tone
Mr Bounce
Nakatomi Plaza
Corporalhumblebucket
trottb
Beer
Dave.
Scott is Back
JuliusHMarx
The Boss
Crimey
dummy_half
ShahenshahG
GSC
GG
Mike Selig
Ent
Liam
TopHat24/7
littleswannygirl
Il Gialloblu
as1079
B91212
alfie
Adam D
Mat
Cari
liverbnz
President Trump
Hero
eirebilly
Kenny
Good Golly I'm Olly
Derbyblue
Biltong
Enforcer
Luckless Pedestrian
Pal Joey
68 posters

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread - Page 8 Empty The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread

Post by Pal Joey Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 am

First topic message reminder :

by Big Daddy Bee on Sat Jan 29 2011, 05:39
So then people what really annoys you.

No matter how big or trivial it is, this is the thread to vent your anger and annoyance.

Last thread: https://www.606v2.com/t199p950-the-that-really-grinds-my-gears-thread

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread

Post by dummy_half Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:14 am

Luckless

Perhaps there's only the one Watkins?

Oh, and as for dreadful trailers, have you seen the one for 'Citizen Khan'? Have we returned to 1970s sitcom land?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The "That Really Grinds My Gears" Thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:20 am

I'm amazed the BBC have commissioned that programme. Never mind the fact that it's unfunny, it's going to reinforce outdated stereotypes and offend a fair few people.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Here's something that's annoying me: after Team GB, we now have ParalympicsGB - but written exactly like that, with no space between the two words. It's so flucking stupid as well as being wrong. It makes it sound like a gimmicky product, like ProActiv. The BBC are going along with it, too. What on God's green earth is wrong with just plain Paralympics GB? Someone (or more likely a committee) somewhere has made the conscious decision to get rid of the space between the words. I demand to know what their reasoning was - and to slap them.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Citizen Kahn. I can't see that programme hanging around because they've been inundated with complaints since its broadcast. I haven't seen the show myself, but I'm wondering if it's along the lines of "Love Thy Neighbour" or "Mind Your Language". The excuse the BBC give for showing it, seems to be that it's written by a British Muslim so it must be all right. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Muslims are so over-sensitive there's no point ever showing anything that even acknowledges them, you'll only get earache for it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 pm

To be fair to Citizen Khan, Muslims getting offended by it, is akin to Catholics getting offended with Father Ted. Of course it plays on stereotypes, most comedy does.

Other than that, it's just not funny, that's probably the only offensive thing about it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:39 am

What really grinds my gears is posters who resort to petty childish name calling because they have lost a debate. Man up FFS Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 am

Buzz words get on my nerves, something thats suddenly trendy and every idiot with half a brain cell uses...

1) Reem - What in dear jesus does this even mean!

2) Epic - "This is Epic" "That is Epic" ......Just P*ss off!

3) Man Up - What? Like the Incredible Hulk, or Hulk Hogan? What are you asking of me?

4) Grow some Balls - Ok, not a buzzword, but why grow some balls, they are small and sensitive....Surely grow a Vag is more appropriate, those things take a right pounding!

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am

At least 2-4 are real words. Anyone caught using 'Reem' should be shot in the face. Same for purveyors of 'totes amaze'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Fat girls that think its ok to wear next to nothing when its hot out....please stop this...PLEASE!!!

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:Fat girls that think its ok to wear next to nothing when its hot out....please stop this...PLEASE!!!

lol think this is what Kate Moss was talking about when she said British people don't know how to dress for warm weather.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Kate Moss
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:27 pm

GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:Fat girls that think its ok to wear next to nothing when its hot out....please stop this...PLEASE!!!

Dicey, are you in the US? East coast?

I saw a very pale looking couple wearing not much (tank tops & shorts) in the middle of winter about 6 weeks ago. It was a clear sunny day however relatively cool temperature outside I thought. It doesn't really grind my gears but I was quietly amused.
I just had a feeling they were from either Wales or Scotland... Smile

On the other hand, here in Australia, I remember seeing people wearing swimming costumes (bikinis OK and 'sluggos' nope ) only in supermarkets back in the 70s/80s.

It doesn't seem to happen much these days. We're in for a very hot summer (El Nino) so I'll keep my eye out for this sort of thing and keep you informed.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Linebreaker wrote:

Dicey, are you in the US? East coast?

I saw a very pale looking couple wearing not much (tank tops & shorts) in the middle of winter about 6 weeks ago. It was a clear sunny day however relatively cool temperature outside I thought. It doesn't really grind my gears but I was quietly amused.
I just had a feeling they were from either Wales or Scotland... Smile

On the other hand, here in Australia, I remember seeing people wearing swimming costumes (bikinis OK and 'sluggos' nope ) only in supermarkets back in the 70s/80s.

It doesn't seem to happen much these days. We're in for a very hot summer (El Nino) so I'll keep my eye out for this sort of thing and keep you informed.

Do you expect it to be very hot still in February time Linebreaker?

My folks are heading over for a few weeks then and hoping for the worst of the heat to have burnt out by then....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:58 pm

February is the hottest and most humid time of year for us, TopHat.
Our summers tend to drag on well into March... sometimes early April.

Which part of Oz will they be going to? Rainy season up north then and it can be v.hot and dry in southern Australia at that time.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Linebreaker wrote:February is the hottest and most humid time of year for us, TopHat.
Our summers tend to drag on well into March... sometimes early April.

Which part of Oz will they be going to? Rainy season up north then and it can be v.hot and dry in southern Australia at that time.

Melbourne and Sydney, possibly, Brisbane then a 2 week cruise round New Zealand I think. Abotu 5 weeks in total. They've old friends living in Oz who they're going out there to meet.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Melbourne gets the hottest (due to prevailing desert winds) in February.
Then if you go to Sydney they'll feel the rise in humidity.... then Brisbane is even more humid. Even I notice the difference.

It helps if they stay near the coast to get advantage of any sea breeze which takes the edge off the heat but if their are no winds - it can be hot everywhere.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Scott is Back wrote:Buzz words get on my nerves, something thats suddenly trendy and every idiot with half a brain cell uses...

1) Reem - What in dear jesus does this even mean!

2) Epic - "This is Epic" "That is Epic" ......Just P*ss off!

3) Man Up - What? Like the Incredible Hulk, or Hulk Hogan? What are you asking of me?

4) Grow some Balls - Ok, not a buzzword, but why grow some balls, they are small and sensitive....Surely grow a Vag is more appropriate, those things take a right pounding!

How about overly self righteous people? They tend to grind my gears...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm not sure where epic and man up came from but you have TOWIE to blame for "reem" I believe. Thankfully I never watch that or use that word.

Three words I really dislike people using - "totes" meaning "totally" "deets" meaning "details" and "emosh" meaning emotional. Are we really getting too lazy or Tweeting too much to write properly?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:38 pm

What about 'Delish' Cari? Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Well maybe if society didn't put so much pressure on women and girls to be "fashionable" and "attractive" objects for the likes of people with that sort of attitude, then you wouldn't see "fat" women trying to fit in by wearing unflattering and supposedly trendy clothes. Not every women can be a walking clothes horse like Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss. Incidentally, I've seen some pretty fat blokes wear next to nothing - or go topless - in the summer too.

Last edited by Cari on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 pm

eirebilly wrote:What about 'Delish' Cari? Wink

That's not too bad Billy because at least it's close to what it's supposed to mean so you can gather what they're saying. I don't use Twitter and when I saw a post on here once saying "I need deets" I didn't know what the feck the person was on about! "Totes emosh" just sounds juvenile.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:43 pm

I dont even have Twitter. I see so many people posting #things and i had no idea what it all meant Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:45 pm

eirebilly wrote:I dont even have Twitter. I see so many people posting #things and i had no idea what it all meant Laugh

oh gawd don't get me started on that stupid hash tag business. It's punctuation abuse!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 am

It annoys me when people write 'ty' to mean 'thank you'. How flucking lazy can you get?!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:49 am

Cari wrote:

Well maybe if society didn't put so much pressure on women and girls to be "fashionable" and "attractive" objects for the likes of people with that sort of attitude, then you wouldn't see "fat" women trying to fit in by wearing unflattering and supposedly trendy clothes. Not every women can be a walking clothes horse like Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss. Incidentally, I've seen some pretty fat blokes wear next to nothing - or go topless - in the summer too.

Sorry Cari, but I think that's BS. You can't blame 'society' or 'glossy magazines' for a 16 stone girl walking round town centre in short denim skirt and bikini top (one of the many rank examples I can think of). Take Adele, a fuller figured (and IMO v attractive) woman, I've never seen her strolling around in gross poorly fitted too small clothes. She has class, dresses well, and for the most part always looks lovely.

I wouldn't judge an over-weight girl for wearing a bikini on the beach as that's beach-wear and, being a big guy, I know what it's like the be self-conscious on the beach. The origianl comment/post, I think, was in reference to around town etc where some girls think it's better to put it all out on show when, in fact, a touch more class would make them look a lot more attractive.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:58 am

eirebilly wrote:I dont even have Twitter. I see so many people posting #things and i had no idea what it all meant Laugh

#neverdoubtGSC
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 am

GSC wrote:

#neverdoubtGSC

Laugh feck af ya cheeky scamp Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Cari wrote:

Sorry Cari, but I think that's BS. You can't blame 'society' or 'glossy magazines' for a 16 stone girl walking round town centre in short denim skirt and bikini top (one of the many rank examples I can think of). Take Adele, a fuller figured (and IMO v attractive) woman, I've never seen her strolling around in gross poorly fitted too small clothes. She has class, dresses well, and for the most part always looks lovely.

I wouldn't judge an over-weight girl for wearing a bikini on the beach as that's beach-wear and, being a big guy, I know what it's like the be self-conscious on the beach. The origianl comment/post, I think, was in reference to around town etc where some girls think it's better to put it all out on show when, in fact, a touch more class would make them look a lot more attractive.

Sorry thats what I was trying to get at, I dont mind the fuller figured woman, I like a bit of cushion for the pushin but I dont like when big women walk around with there rolls hanging out all over the place, I can say the same about men that do it with their over hung bellies out

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 am

Dicey Reilly wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Cari wrote:

Sorry thats what I was trying to get at, I dont mind the fuller figured woman, I like a bit of cushion for the pushin but I dont like when big women walk around with there rolls hanging out all over the place, I can say the same about men that do it with their over hung bellies out

Exactly. And as a fat bloke with a belly I do my best to keep it covered up!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:44 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Cari wrote:

Being as you use her as an example, Adele is fortunate in that she has affordable stylists who can tell her what suits her and what doesn't, and who advise her about what is fashionable and attractive - because every woman HAS to be "attractive" does she? Says who exactly? That's right, the media and society! The girl on the street doesn't have the money for a stylist, and if, in her mind, wearing certain types of clothes makes her think she's being fashionable and looking attractive where do you think her perception comes from? The pressure on everyone to look "attractive" is bigger than ever these days, and more so for women - and a lot of that pressure comes from the media and the fashion industry who make billions from it. I'm not a radical feminist by any means, but, coming from a man, your original comment was ill thought and crass. I'm not disagreeing with you for the sake of it, that's how your first comment came across to this reader.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm not saying every woman HAS to be attractive, stop being a typical woman trying to read crap into what a guy's saying that he clearly isn't.

If I walked round topless, drooling and with my nob hanging out it would look rank and I'd expect anyone and everyone to think so. Hence why I wouldn't. I'm not fashionable or trendy, stylish clothes don't fit me and I don't have a stylist, yet I still manage to walk around without making people's breakfast revisit them.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Oh dear...you've completely missed the point I made. I never said YOU were responsible for that perception. Read my post again carefully and think about it. Oh never mind... picard Contrary to your misogynist views, I can't be arrsed arguing.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 pm

-secret escapes advert, really can't stand that posh women who whispers all the way through.

-Injury lawyers for you ads. Again, awful acting and all way too serious.

-Colgate advert, this is THE WORST advert I have ever seen. That women with the floss 'A bit of blood....is that normal?'. Then the guy giving the speech 'Look at mine, completely clear, are we all going to buy colgate?' everyone: 'yes yes absolutely indeed...' my god who gives these adverts the go ahead?

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm

love how every guy that stands up for himself is always labelled a misogynist whereas his female equivalent is called a feminist Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 am

What grinds my gears is reality TV. Holland (EnDeMol) are the inventors of all this rubbish on TV. For every one show you get in the UK, there are 5 here in Holland. Seriously rubbish stuff.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:52 am

Liam wrote:-Colgate advert, this is THE WORST advert I have ever seen. That women with the floss 'A bit of blood....is that normal?'. Then the guy giving the speech 'Look at mine, completely clear, are we all going to buy colgate?' everyone: 'yes yes absolutely indeed...' my god who gives these adverts the go ahead?

Laugh It's terrible, isn't it?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:16 am

eirebilly wrote:What grinds my gears is reality TV. Holland (EnDeMol) are the inventors of all this rubbish on TV. For every one show you get in the UK, there are 5 here in Holland. Seriously rubbish stuff.

Holland kicked off Big Brother didn't it?

The Dutch should hang their heads in shame for that..... Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:13 am

Holland kicked off all that was bad in regards to reality TV Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:28 am

eirebilly wrote:Holland kicked off all that was bad in regards to reality TV Sad

lol I'm pretty sure we're to blame for teletubbies tho.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:33 pm

I wouldn't scrap it but............local news.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:42 pm

I mentioned it before on this thread but it still grinds my gears and Dave has touched upon it.

The Voice of the Nation...
When the news station decide that the topic in question needs some random knuckledragger from a random city to provide his wonderful insight and then treat the usual moronic reply as suddenly being what the general populous is also thinking.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:18 am

eirebilly wrote:What grinds my gears is reality TV. Holland (EnDeMol) are the inventors of all this rubbish on TV. For every one show you get in the UK, there are 5 here in Holland. Seriously rubbish stuff.

It's a cultural epidemic isn't it? I dread to think how many "reality" TV shows there are going at any one time in the world. It's weird how it only took off in the 2000s though. Does anyone remember the BBC experimenting with reality TV when they did "The Living Soap" about a bunch of people sharing a house? I think MTV did a similar series as well called "The Real World" in the 1990s. They were nowhere near as popular as they are now. To be fair, we do have social networking now, but you didn't get the celebrity with it back then it seems.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 am

We've been having them here since 1992... anyone recall "Sylvania Waters"?

They're just about to can it's great-great-grandchild: "The Shire"

3 of them; a bloke and two of the girls got in separate 'real life' scraps recently... they were way out of their 'territory' too! Wink

Spoiler:

Reality... nah!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 am

Hero wrote:I mentioned it before on this thread but it still grinds my gears and Dave has touched upon it.

The Voice of the Nation...
When the news station decide that the topic in question needs some random knuckledragger from a random city to provide his wonderful insight and then treat the usual moronic reply as suddenly being what the general populous is also thinking.

Have never even heard of Voice of the Nation, what is it??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:48 am

Just when news reports decide that one person's view on the subject in question is obviously what everyone else in the country also thinks.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am

Ah, right, thought it was an actual show or something lol

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:21 pm

There's a lad in a boyracer type car with a thunderous engine on it. He's been sat outside my house for the last half an hour with the engine running. Why do that? If you're stationary, switch your engine off you noisy pr*ck! furious

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:44 am

Had a bloke here who used to spend 5 minutes warming up his car in the evenings (must have been a shift worker?) So annoying.
He's stopped doing it now though.

So called 'peaceful protesters' who look anything but peaceful. We had a nasty group try to cause disruptions on Saturday. They had children waving the most awful placards - I can't type what was written on them but they were very evil words - whilst their parents had their faces covered up and were screaming for blood alongside their kids.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next