The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabo team of the season

+13
21st Century Schizoid Man
Notch
wales606
RDW
HammerofThunor
Standulstermen
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
profitius
Cryptoyourisan
Captain_Sensible
Mickado
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
17 posters

Go down

Rabo team of the season Empty Rabo team of the season

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 4:45 pm

RaboDirect PRO12 Dream Team 2011/12: Isa Nacewa (Leinster), Tim Visser (Edinburgh), Casey Laulala (Cardiff Blues), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues); Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors), Ruan Pienaar (Ulster); Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors), Richardt Strauss (Leinster), BJ Botha (Munster), Dan Tuohy (Ulster), Tom Ryder (Glasgow Warriors), Dave Denton (Edinburgh), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ben Morgan (Scarlets)

Teams (8):Glasgow Warriors 3, Cardiff Blues 2, Edinburgh 2, Leinster 2, Ospreys 2, Ulster 2, Munster 1, Scarlets 1

Just for reference, here's a couple of previous years too:

Dream Team 2010/11:Isa Nacewa (Leinster); Fionn Carr (Connacht), Casey Laulala (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Tim Visser (Edinburgh); Ronan O’Gara (Munster), Ruan Pienaar (Ulster); Iestyn Thomas (Scarlets), Richardt Strauss (Leinster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Sean O’Brien (Leinster), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster)

Teams (9):Leinster 5, Blues 2, Scarlets 2, Ospreys 1, Connacht 1, Glasgow Warriors 1, Edinburgh 1, Munster 1, Ulster 1

Dream Team 2009/10:Ben Blair (Cardiff Blues); Tommy Bowe (Ospreys), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster), James Hook (Ospreys), Tim Visser (Edinburgh); Dan Parks (Glasgow Warriors), Tomas O'Leary (Munster); Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Leo Cullen (Leinster), Ali Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Jerry Collins (Ospreys), John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors),
Jamie Heaslip (Leinster)

Teams (7):Ospreys 4, Glasgow Warriors 3, Leinster 3, Blues 2, Edinburgh 1, Munster 1, Scarlets 1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Rabo team of the season Empty Re: Rabo team of the season

Post by Mickado Thu 03 May 2012, 5:13 pm

I think Madigan can feel hard done by...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Thu 03 May 2012, 5:19 pm

Duncan Weir is the Rabo top points scorer this season, I think, so you can't say he doesn't deserve his place.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 03 May 2012, 6:18 pm

Biggar is, but that's not the point. 7 tries and 7 assists from outhalf is pretty impressive considering this season was his breakthrough to the first team.

Weir had a really good season, don't get me wrong. I just think Madigan has been the best outhalf in the league.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Thu 03 May 2012, 6:55 pm

Even as a Glasgow fan, I wouldn't have Weir in front of Madigan. Saying that Parks made the 2009/10 team so perhaps the judges aren't necessarily looking for class, flair and genuine attacking threat in a stand off. Weir had a pretty sensational dip in form mid-season as well.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 03 May 2012, 7:40 pm

Can't really complain about the selections. I'd have put Madigan in there too.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 03 May 2012, 7:55 pm

Not convinced Denton has been the best blindside in the Rabo this season. Harley at Glasgow has a better case.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 03 May 2012, 8:24 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Not convinced Denton has been the best blindside in the Rabo this season. Harley at Glasgow has a better case.

Until Harley starts carrying ball, hes only a 50% player. Granted he does that 50% brilliantly, but hes anonymous when Glasgow are in possesion.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 03 May 2012, 8:33 pm

I would actually agree with Harley over Denton. Let's remember Edinburgh have had their worst season in the league. Madigan should be at out half. Not that weir isn't deserving but madigan has led the runaway leaders splendidly.

Either way I think it is probably a better selection than previous seasons.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 03 May 2012, 8:35 pm

Standulstermen wrote:I would actually agree with Harley over Denton. Let's remember Edinburgh have had their worst season in the league.

Why does that stop Denton from being in the team? Does Visser not deserve to be there despite scoring 12 tries?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 03 May 2012, 8:39 pm

No visser is grand as try scoring is as good a way to measure the influence of a wing as any.

With forwards it does become more difficult and the chances are than no one has seen all the games that Denton and Harley have played. In those instances the team that finishes top four against the team that finishes 2nd last is as good a tie breaker as any.

That's not to say Denton has been poor. Whenever I have seen Harley he has performed. The same can't be said of Denton even though he was bloody brilliant against us in the HEC.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 03 May 2012, 8:40 pm

Standulstermen wrote:No visser is grand as try scoring is as good a way to measure the influence of a wing as any.

With forwards it does become more difficult and the chances are than no one has seen all the games that Denton and Harley have played. In those instances the team that finishes top four against the team that finishes 2nd last is as good a tie breaker as any.

That's not to say Denton has been poor. Whenever I have seen Harley he has performed. The same can't be said of Denton even though he was bloody brilliant against us in the HEC.

Whens Denton not performed?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 03 May 2012, 8:54 pm

Off the top of my head the last 20 mins against Leinster, one of the Glasgow games and against Connacht at murrayfield.

Harley has been consistently good any time I have seen him. Methinks you are taking this a tad too personally. No one is saying he has been crap. Just that Harley might be more deserving.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 03 May 2012, 9:06 pm

Cor. 10 'foreigners' in there.

It does seem more reasonable that previous seasons, in terms of guys actually performing the league rather than being the best players generally who happen to play in the league.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 03 May 2012, 9:11 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Off the top of my head the last 20 mins against Leinster, one of the Glasgow games and against Connacht at murrayfield.

Harley has been consistently good any time I have seen him. Methinks you are taking this a tad too personally. No one is saying he has been crap. Just that Harley might be more deserving.

Well have to agree to disagree then, for me harley doesnt do enough to deserve it, and thats perhaps why hes yet to step up.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 03 May 2012, 9:25 pm

I'm just glad there isn't Jenkins, BOD, O'Connoll et al who have barely played this year in the Rabbo!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 03 May 2012, 10:33 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Not convinced Denton has been the best blindside in the Rabo this season. Harley at Glasgow has a better case.

Until Harley starts carrying ball, hes only a 50% player. Granted he does that 50% brilliantly, but hes anonymous when Glasgow are in possesion.

6. Michael Paterson Wink

Better player than Cuthbert and Laulaula who made the team. He has also played pretty much every game in the pro12 and set a high standard for himself which he lives up to every game.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 03 May 2012, 10:37 pm

Dan Tuohy deserves to be there, at least. Good to see a fine season from him recognised.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 04 May 2012, 8:12 am

Contrary to what those Wendyball Idiots on Radio Scotland say, Tom Ryder is not leaving Glasgow Warriors - I nearly choked on my porridge and had to come out of self imposed, bad boy 606v2 exile to post this. Back to hermit land then !

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 May 2012, 8:32 am

c21st, come back, don't go!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 04 May 2012, 8:44 am

Great List...

I think it fairly identifies the players who have been key to the league. The absence of the established internationals from the list is a very good thing.

It is wonderful to see Jon Welsh in over Gethin or Cian... Dan Touy in over POC or GRay who are all arguably better players, they havent had so much to do with the Rabbo because of injuries and other commitments.

This list is rewarding the right people..

Good work Rabbo

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 05 May 2012, 7:38 am

Jon Welsh and Tom Ryder have been immense for Glasgow all season - in fact when you compare the Warriors front row (Welsh, MacArthur and Low and sometime Grant) to that useless front row unit that plays for Edinburgh (rubbish again v Ulster last week but realise Bradley has no viable options but to play Jacobsen, Ford and Cross) and Scotland, it once again highlights what a urine poor selector Robinson is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 05 May 2012, 12:15 pm

These are not the best players in the RaboDirect they are the best players who have not spent the bulk of the season away with their International teams at the World Cup, Autumn Internationals and 6 Nations.

The real Rabo Dream Team would look something like:

Kearney
North
JD2
Roberts
Bowe
Sexton
Pienaar
Jenkins
Best
Jones
Gray
O'Connell
Ferris
Faletau
Warburton

Only one overseas player and Blair and Murray have a case for inclusion.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 05 May 2012, 12:52 pm

Seagultaf wrote:These are not the best players in the RaboDirect they are the best players who have not spent the bulk of the season away with their International teams at the World Cup, Autumn Internationals and 6 Nations.

Kearney
North
JD2
Roberts
Bowe
Sexton
Pienaar
Jenkins
Best
Jones
Gray
O'Connell
Ferris
Faletau
Warburton

You miss the point entirely. Its not about who you think is the best player, its about recognising the players who have performed best in the Rabo this season. Hardly any of those players can be considered, because they havent played as much as the team that was named.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 05 May 2012, 9:48 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:These are not the best players in the RaboDirect they are the best players who have not spent the bulk of the season away with their International teams at the World Cup, Autumn Internationals and 6 Nations.

Kearney
North
JD2
Roberts
Bowe
Sexton
Pienaar
Jenkins
Best
Jones
Gray
O'Connell
Ferris
Faletau
Warburton

You miss the point entirely. Its not about who you think is the best player, its about recognising the players who have performed best in the Rabo this season. Hardly any of those players can be considered, because they havent played as much as the team that was named.

"These are not the best players in the RaboDirect they are the best players who have not spent the bulk of the season away with their International teams at the World Cup, Autumn Internationals and 6 Nations."

How have I missed the point?

The term "Dream Team" suggests the best players not the players who have played the most games!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 06 May 2012, 12:59 pm

IBD - that's exactly why I'd pick Harley at 6 over Denton at 6 in this context. Denton's HC performances have been outstanding, but in the league (a) Bradley has rotated the team more so Denton hasn't played as much at 6 as Harley has, and (b) Edinburgh's defensive shape has been awful, and I'm afraid the Edinburgh pack has to take some blame for that.

You are absolutely right, Harley needs to work on his ball carrying game, no question, but he's a workaholic tackling machine, and one of the reasons why Glasgow's league form has been so formidable this season. In the HC Denton has certainly been better, and I think he's the better and more complete player for international rugby, but in the league this season Harley hasn't had a bad game, and what he does (which is the role he plays as a 6 for Glasgow), tackling himself into oblivion week in week out, he does exceptionally well. He is a cornerstone of Glasgow's consistency this season.

My own view is that this summer Scotland should use them both. Harley at 6 (as Brown is injured) and Denton at 8.

As you say, this isn't about the best players though, this is about the players who have performed best in the league this season. At 6, I think Harley has been as good as any.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 06 May 2012, 5:09 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:IBD - that's exactly why I'd pick Harley at 6 over Denton at 6 in this context. Denton's HC performances have been outstanding, but in the league (a) Bradley has rotated the team more so Denton hasn't played as much at 6 as Harley has, and (b) Edinburgh's defensive shape has been awful, and I'm afraid the Edinburgh pack has to take some blame for that.

You are absolutely right, Harley needs to work on his ball carrying game, no question, but he's a workaholic tackling machine, and one of the reasons why Glasgow's league form has been so formidable this season. In the HC Denton has certainly been better, and I think he's the better and more complete player for international rugby, but in the league this season Harley hasn't had a bad game, and what he does (which is the role he plays as a 6 for Glasgow), tackling himself into oblivion week in week out, he does exceptionally well. He is a cornerstone of Glasgow's consistency this season.

My own view is that this summer Scotland should use them both. Harley at 6 (as Brown is injured) and Denton at 8.

As you say, this isn't about the best players though, this is about the players who have performed best in the league this season. At 6, I think Harley has been as good as any.
+1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 07 May 2012, 9:11 am

Congratulations to Tim Visser on being named players player of the year and Stuart Hogg Young player of the year, both very well deserved!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 07 May 2012, 10:00 am

Majestic83 wrote:Congratulations to Tim Visser on being named players player of the year and Stuart Hogg Young player of the year, both very well deserved!

Absolutely, Majestic. That won't stop Andy Robinson humm'ing and haw'ing for a week about whether they're good enough to take on tour, of course.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down