The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Summer Tour Squad

+49
anotherworldofpain
kiakahaaotearoa
toml
MMC
Cari
Gibson
sean.c
wolfball
kunu
aucklandlaurie
Gretgael1
SecretFly
geoff998rugby
Rava
BoyneRFC
rodders
the-goon
Zander
valjester
LeinsterFan4life
GunsGerms
Golden
lbachy
Rory_Gallagher
geoff999rugby
Sin é
Feckless Rogue
JmD
D24tress
debaters1
Thomond
1F'sgonnagetya!
ME-109
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
red_stag
Mcgavin Sean
eirebilly
Brendan
George Carlin
asoreleftshoulder
The Great Aukster
Hookisms and Hyperbole
dublin_dave
Mickado
CailinRua
caoimhincentre
Standulstermen
clivemcl
53 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Irish Summer Tour Squad - Page 4 Empty Irish Summer Tour Squad

Post by clivemcl Mon 21 May 2012, 12:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

RELAND SUMMER TOUR SQUAD (New Zealand 2012):

Backs (13):

Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
AN Other

Forwards (16):

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon/Ulster) *
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Mike Sherry (Garryowen/Munster) *
Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
AN Other
AN Other
AN Other

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Irish Summer Tour Squad - Page 4 Empty Re: Irish Summer Tour Squad

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 9:46 pm

Earls' strengths:

1) Speed
2) Broken field running
3) Try scoring
4) Kicking

Earls' weakness's

1) Distribution
2) Defensive decision making (knowing when to break line, drift, etc)
3) Vision in seeing space for players other than himself

These are all just my opinion but from watching him he is not a natural centre and I couldn't care less where he WANTS to play. I think he and Trimble should be our wingers. I think he will do a pretty damn good job there too.

At centre against good teams I think he is very poor and then against poorer teams he is capable of exploiting spaces that wouldn't be there against top quality.

ROG ahead of Madigan is so disheartening.
Very glad POM is in there immediately he has been so impressive

I'd go for a Wallace BOD partnership if Wallace was in the squad or a BOD Cave partnership.

Val- Surely Sexton has to be one of the most inform irish backs. I wouldn't call earls in form at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 21 May 2012, 9:47 pm

So BOD at 12 and Earls on the wing. You know it makes sense lads.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 21 May 2012, 9:55 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Earls' strengths:

1) Speed
2) Broken field running
3) Try scoring
4) Kicking

Earls' weakness's

1) Distribution

These are all just my opinion but from watching him he is not a natural centre and I couldn't care less where he WANTS to play. I think he and Trimble should be our wingers. I think he will do a pretty damn good job there too.

At centre against good teams I think he is very poor and then against poorer teams he is capable of exploiting spaces that wouldn't be there against top quality.

I'd go for a Wallace BOD partnership if Wallace was in the squad or a BOD Cave partnership.

Val- Surely Sexton has to be one of the most inform irish backs. I wouldn't call earls in form at all.

I wasn't really counting halfbacks. I think your prejudged opinion on Earls is blinding you to how he has actually being playing this season. In the Six Nations and pretty much since the Lions tour is defence has been excellent besides one or two blips. His distribution is a lot better than it is given credit for and since the world cup his passing has been good. He might have a bit to work on in terms of seeing space for others but I think this is more down to coaching than his abilities. Watching him at underage and especially A level, as well as when he first broke on the scene, he is quite good at looking for the offload and setting people free but the way Munster play he doesn't really get a chance to do this. It is the same with Ireland the amount of times he makes a break or half break looks for support but is isolated means he has taken to trying to do it all on is own.

Also Trimble's form has dropped off a cliff since the turn of the year.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 10:00 pm

valjester wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Earls' strengths:

1) Speed
2) Broken field running
3) Try scoring
4) Kicking

Earls' weakness's

1) Distribution

I wasn't really counting halfbacks. I think your prejudged opinion on Earls is blinding you to how he has actually being playing this season. In the Six Nations and pretty much since the Lions tour is defence has been excellent besides one or two blips. His distribution is a lot better than it is given credit for and since the world cup his passing has been good. He might have a bit to work on in terms of seeing space for others but I think this is more down to coaching than his abilities. Watching him at underage and especially A level, as well as when he first broke on the scene, he is quite good at looking for the offload and setting people free but the way Munster play he doesn't really get a chance to do this. It is the same with Ireland the amount of times he makes a break or half break looks for support but is isolated means he has taken to trying to do it all on is own.

Also Trimble's form has dropped off a cliff since the turn of the year.

I don't think I'm prejudice against Earls at all Val to me it's just clear but I completely accept that you and others may disagree.
Is it not odd that Downey and Lualala have been signed if Earls wants to play 13?

I do agree with you re: Trimble perhaps McFadden will play 14???
Without Bowe and Fitzgerald I'd be very surprised if earls wasn't playing on the wing.

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 21 May 2012, 10:06 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
I don't think I'm prejudice against Earls at all Val to me it's just clear but I completely accept that you and others may disagree.
Is it not odd that Downey and Lualala have been signed if Earls wants to play 13?

I do agree with you re: Trimble perhaps McFadden will play 14???
Without Bowe and Fitzgerald I'd be very surprised if earls wasn't playing on the wing.

Meh, I was right about Kearney last summer when people doubted that. Its annoying now that people are saying he has improved on all
these things he wasn't doing before injury but he was people just tend to forget. This year Earls was solid in the Six Nations and despite
the sh**e he has inside him at Munster he has been playing well, when he gets the chance but as usual injury is curtailing the amount of
games hes played. Along with POM, he was the only Munster player who could hold their head up after the Ospreys match.

I'm really unsure on the wingers for the squad. Knowing Kidney it will be Earls and Trimble but I don't really trust D'arcy, Zebo, Trimble or McFadden
against the All Blacks but not much choice really with injuries.

I've no idea why Munster signed either of the two centres. I'm sure their fans are a bit peed off at the second especially when what they really
needed to do was sign a top class 12 and an excellent ball carrying backrow instead of two average centres.

Edit; Especially with Penney coming in, it seems crazy that he won't be able to sign his own players. A ball carrying backrower should have been the priority but now it seems they are going to have to go for a project player as the backrower which limits options severely.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 21 May 2012, 10:14 pm

Nope, disagree there Val. Kearney has vastly improved his running game since returning to rugby. He was never that effective on the counter, but now he is a complete danger to any team. Nothing to do with forgetting anything.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 21 May 2012, 10:16 pm

DOD made the point in the past that distribution wasn't O'Driscoll's strong point when he started out at 13 either. It was seeing space and making breaks. Like Earls. The distribution can be developed. It's also true if there's no good support play, any talk of distribution and awareness is fairly pointless. Most players can pop a ball out to a good support runner on his shoulder. If he's not there then Sonny Bill Williams can't even get it to him.

I personally think Earls is a better winger than a centre. But I've no doubt he can become a really good 13. In fact he already is. He was good in 6 Nations and will get better if he stays there. If he can nail down the starting 13 jersey for Munster with competition from Lualua then he's Ireland's 13. He has the talent and a bit of an X factor about him.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 21 May 2012, 10:20 pm

Speaking of good support play, that is one of Cave's biggest strengths IMO. Hence why I think he would love playing outside BOD.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 21 May 2012, 10:22 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Nope, disagree there Val. Kearney has vastly improved his running game since returning to rugby. He was never that effective on the counter, but now he is a complete danger to any team. Nothing to do with forgetting anything.

Look back to the the Lions series in 2009 for Kearney's running game. Or else back to the two games under Michael Bradley on the 2008 summer tour. When he has been allowed he has always had a superb running game. Under Cheika at Leinster he mostly played on the wing or was told to boot the ball away.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 10:28 pm

That 30 metre pass Kearney made on Saturday from the left wing more a less to the right. That was something Kearney would never have even seen 2 years ago. it's not forgetting Val he has improved.

Feckless-

I can remember Earls making a break in the 6N can't remember against who, and Bowe was on his outside, there was someone coming back to cover Bowe but they weren't blocking the pass and Bowe while he may not have scored would definitely have brought the ball up close to the line.

I can remember the next part as clear as day; Earls didn't even look left or right. It wasn't that he knew Bowe was there and decided to take contact, all that he saw was the 15 and tried to beat him, he got halfway through the tackle and then the defenders coming back enveloped him.

I will look back over some tapes cos I have it recorded and try and find which game it was in.

That right there says so much about Earls' natural rugby decision making. That is the decision making of a winger not a centre, you see the same thing of Zebo.

Both are great (like you say X-Factor) players but those kinda things are so frustrating. Granted we have the benefit of being above the field of play and not being the one actually playing! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 21 May 2012, 10:31 pm

valjester wrote:
I've no idea why Munster signed either of the two centres. I'm sure their fans are a bit peed off at the second especially when what they really
needed to do was sign a top class 12 and an excellent ball carrying backrow instead of two average centres.

Edit; Especially with Penney coming in, it seems crazy that he won't be able to sign his own players. A ball carrying backrower should have been the priority but now it seems they are going to have to go for a project player as the backrower which limits options severely.

Mafi going to Perpignam and Barry Murphy retired (injury). No depth in the centre - Johne Murphy has played HCup rugby at 12. Earls is only available to Munster for about 12 games a season due to international commitments.

Barnes will be a good player for Munster (he is still very young and has had a few injuries this year), but Munster needs a bit of depth there - and fairplay to MR, they got a decent centre with Casey.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 21 May 2012, 10:33 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:That 30 metre pass Kearney made on Saturday from the left wing more a less to the right. That was something Kearney would never have even seen 2 years ago. it's not forgetting Val he has improved.

Feckless-

I can remember Earls making a break in the 6N can't remember against who, and Bowe was on his outside, there was someone coming back to cover Bowe but they weren't blocking the pass and Bowe while he may not have scored would definitely have brought the ball up close to the line.

I can remember the next part as clear as day; Earls didn't even look left or right. It wasn't that he knew Bowe was there and decided to take contact, all that he saw was the 15 and tried to beat him, he got halfway through the tackle and then the defenders coming back enveloped him.

I will look back over some tapes cos I have it recorded and try and find which game it was in.

That right there says so much about Earls' natural rugby decision making. That is the decision making of a winger not a centre, you see the same thing of Zebo.

Both are great (like you say X-Factor) players but those kinda things are so frustrating. Granted we have the benefit of being above the field of play and not being the one actually playing! Wink

Meh, his passing might have improved but that is something you expect from all players but his running game was always there. Earls' decision making can let him down at times but there are two seperate occasions that I can remember being similar to what you describe but I think he made the correct decision on both occasions. As an example of Earls making good decisions, see Keatley's try against Ospreys.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 21 May 2012, 10:37 pm

Sin é wrote:
valjester wrote:

Mafi going to Perpignam and Barry Murphy retired (injury). No depth in the centre - Johne Murphy has played HCup rugby at 12. Earls is only available to Munster for about 12 games a season due to international commitments.

Barnes will be a good player for Munster (he is still very young and has had a few injuries this year), but Munster needs a bit of depth there - and fairplay to MR, they got a decent centre with Casey.

You didn't need two centres though.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 May 2012, 10:38 pm

It was against England.

I think he's had a good season though and has done more good than bad.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 10:42 pm

That was a great line by earls (fair play) but in terms of decision making it was just a 2 on 1 with the fullback every player HAS to be able to do that.

Ah come on Val, are you trying to say you don't remember Kearney collecting a kick jogging a bit then sprinting straight into a few defenders? That was common for a fair old while!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgavin Sean Mon 21 May 2012, 10:44 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Probably Declan Kidney..

http://www.kidneyclock.net/ please God it will be sooner!
Mcgavin Sean
Mcgavin Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 May 2012, 10:46 pm

Mcgavin Sean wrote:

laughing

Oh man you will be in trouble when Sin E and DOD get here..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 21 May 2012, 10:49 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:That was a great line by earls (fair play) but in terms of decision making it was just a 2 on 1 with the fullback every player HAS to be able to do that.

Ah come on Val, are you trying to say you don't remember Kearney collecting a kick jogging a bit then sprinting straight into a few defenders? That was common for a fair old while!

If that line is the one I'm remembering it wasn't as simple a 2 on 1 as you are implying.

Like I've said already Kearney had shown that he was capable of playing a running game on lots of occasions but for whatever reason he wasn't playing like that all the time. Cheika wasn't exactly the most attacking minded of coaches about. Kearney was always going to start playing like this when he came back from injury and started playing under Schmidt.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 10:53 pm

The primary line was cutting out to in to break the line and that was fairly damn slick. The actual decision making part was pretty simple and straight forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhNnc1kbVc

2 on 1 should be a success every time. That is basic rugby. That is what beginners and kids learn

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 10:54 pm

Bon nuit la gare, will take this up in the morning

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 21 May 2012, 10:57 pm

Mcgavin Sean wrote:

If this is right, why does Kidneys contract not end right after the 6 nations? why do the IRFU employ him for another 3 months for him to twiddle his thumbs? surely the time would be useful in letting his successor get his back room staff ready and introduce himself to the players ahead of the summer tour.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 21 May 2012, 11:00 pm

Mcgavin Sean wrote:

Laugh

Fingers Crossed
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 21 May 2012, 11:00 pm

Golden wrote:
Mcgavin Sean wrote:

If this is right, why does Kidneys contract not end right after the 6 nations? why do the IRFU employ him for another 3 months for him to twiddle his thumbs? surely the time would be useful in letting his successor get his back room staff ready and introduce himself to the players ahead of the summer tour.

Because it got extended before the world cup for that exact reason. They didn't want to get someone in with no time to prepare for the six nations.#

Edit; having actually looked at the clock it is longer than I thought. There won't be a summer tour next year quite possibly due to the Lions tour, or else a tour of a weakened nation.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 21 May 2012, 11:06 pm

[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)
[/quote]

Problem Earls has with Ireland is that the rest of his team mates don't have any gas (except Luke Fitz) so there are rarely there for the offload. Earls was encouraged to back himself a bit more because of this I think.

Anyway - two of your favourite Munster players featured here Pete. What a boot Leamy had! Great offload by Earls - draws the defenders before passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTeK17yVaps

Ulster fans don't watch this as you won't like it.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 21 May 2012, 11:23 pm

http://www.espnscrum.com/ireland/rugby/story/164335.html

The template for Irish success is there. If only Kidney would just use it. It's obvious.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 21 May 2012, 11:35 pm

Earls doesn't back himself enough on the wing. He should because he has pace and a step but far too often he seeks the comfort of recycling inside rather than try to skin someone on the outside. His best position has to be full back because that utilises his best assets - but he doesn't play there because he is supposedly weak under the high ball.

At 13 he is ok but often takes the wrong option in close combat. Munster like the rest of the provinces put far too much emphasis on the high ball and rate Felix Jones too highly accordingly. Penney should convince Earls that 15 is his position and give him the freedom to become fantastic there.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 21 May 2012, 11:45 pm

Sin é wrote:[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)

Problem Earls has with Ireland is that the rest of his team mates don't have any gas (except Luke Fitz) so there are rarely there for the offload. Earls was encouraged to back himself a bit more because of this I think.

Anyway - two of your favourite Munster players featured here Pete. What a boot Leamy had! Great offload by Earls - draws the defenders before passing.

Ulster fans don't watch this as you won't like it.[/quote]

I enjoyed that! What on earth were Ulster doing playing ball in overtime with not even a bonus point on offer? Still fairly typical broken field turnover try against a disorganised defence.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 12:21 am

valjester wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Nope, disagree there Val. Kearney has vastly improved his running game since returning to rugby. He was never that effective on the counter, but now he is a complete danger to any team. Nothing to do with forgetting anything.

Look back to the the Lions series in 2009 for Kearney's running game. Or else back to the two games under Michael Bradley on the 2008 summer tour. When he has been allowed he has always had a superb running game. Under Cheika at Leinster he mostly played on the wing or was told to boot the ball away.

I distinctly remember being frustrated by Kearney running straight for contact when he got the ball. He has improved immensely in that regard, and is a much more dangerous player now than he ever was before.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 12:23 am

Mcgavin Sean wrote:

Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 22 May 2012, 10:07 am

kearney has been absolutely brilliant this year. best fullback in the northern hemisphere

as per above he could always run and catch but his linkpay was poor to dreadful at times, that has improved massively this year.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 22 May 2012, 10:08 am

The AN Other in the backs could still go to Madigan could'nt it?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 22 May 2012, 10:09 am

going to be a 3rd scrum half it would appear just waiting on bosses fitness

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 22 May 2012, 10:10 am

Thats a real bugger, i am still holding some hope that Madigan goes.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 22 May 2012, 10:29 am

The Great Aukster wrote:

I enjoyed that! What on earth were Ulster doing playing ball in overtime with not even a bonus point on offer? Still fairly typical broken field turnover try against a disorganised defence.[/quote]

Aye it is completely free flowing. Not exactly the same as the try he created against the O's in the semi this year that was him choosing a good line. I would say that clip demonstrates his abilities as a winger rather than a centre as it is just so loose.

Agree with another poster who said Earls should back himself more he is very very quick.

Sin-Obviously Kearney is very fast too. He eclipses Luke Fitz for speed by quite some distance.

That was some kick by Leamy phoah! OK

Do we need 3 scrumhalves?
In the back 3 we only have:
Zebo, Earls, McFadden, Trimble and Kearney

I can see us taking another winger possibly. Or is that just silly? Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 May 2012, 10:34 am

For what its worth I thought Earls contribution to Ian Keatleys try in the opening minutes of the Pro 12 Semi Final was outstanding.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 22 May 2012, 10:36 am

steam

Got darnit....I said it wouldn't happen, that I wouldn't get sucked in again....but I'm starting to have a good feeling about this tour, to believe again........

music Why do you build me up, buttercup.... music

Leprechaun Cry
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 22 May 2012, 10:38 am

Rodders, you're all class mate. Cant keep you down for long Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 22 May 2012, 10:43 am

Dealing with crushing defeats are speciality of mine Billy Cry Hug guinness

Come on Billy whats the old bones say mate? Leprechaun
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 22 May 2012, 10:44 am

The old bones are all good after seeing a pic of your GF mate Wink

Seriously, i predict Ireland to win 1 test, probably the third.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 22 May 2012, 10:47 am

eirebilly wrote:The old bones are all good after seeing a pic of your GF mate Wink

Which one?..... Whistle .... Run

I'm feeling bold on this one so I'll go 2-1 to Ireland. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 22 May 2012, 10:51 am

For what it's worth, here's my team, if I were the Boss:

1. Healy
2. Best (Strauss post Oct)
3. Ross
4. Ryan
5. POC
6. Ferris
7. SOB
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Fitz / Kearney Jr
12. BOD
13. Earls
14. Bowe
15. Kearney Sr

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 22 May 2012, 10:53 am

Stop listening to your bone rodders Very Happy

You will curse Ireland...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 May 2012, 10:54 am

Boyne, Kearney Jr is 4th choice winger for Leinster (behind McFadden, Nacewa and Fitzgerald). Why would you start him for Ireland?

To me that doesn't make sense for the same reason that Donnacha O'Callaghan shouldn't be starting - he isn't good enough to start for his province.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 22 May 2012, 10:59 am

I cant be excited yet Rodders, I have to go through the annual process of cleansing my mind of the hate I have for BOD Sexton Kearney Healy Heaslip O'Brien etc...

I find it hard to suddenly switch on my love for them!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 22 May 2012, 11:02 am

It's my choice, not Kidneys or Schmidts. I think Dave Kearney is / should be 2nd choice behind Fitz.

Zebo's deffo one for the future.... when he get s a few lessons in defending. He cant defend.

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 22 May 2012, 11:04 am

Sin é wrote:

Fitz,Bowe,Kearney,Sexton,Ferris,Heaslip,Reddan,Murray,SoB and even Healy all have plenty of gas and there are a multitude of examples out there,the problem is that Kidneys gameplan doesn't seem to encourage players to run support lines I've no idea why not.

I think Earls did a decent job in the 6 nations but he has competition for the 13 jersey at both club and country.I'm afraid he will continue to be shunted around the backline as he's just too good an option in so many positions.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 22 May 2012, 11:05 am

But Zebo is pure raw talent Boyne. The guy scores tries, great at re-takes and has a good boot on him as well. Maybe not yet a complete a player as some have suggested but more than on the way to being that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 22 May 2012, 11:05 am

Is Strauss really playing well? He seems to have gone backwards a bit from his first couple of seasons, where he was really impressive.

Sorry lads, can't see anything but a 3-0 series defeat. No new coaches, not many new players, a great deal of fatigue for some in a World Cup year and if Kidney and his current coaching staff were going to lead the tactical revolution we need to evolve our game to the point we can consistently compete to win games like this it would have happened by now.

Our best hope of a test win is if the weather is awful enough to reduce one of the games to a dirge. Or, we get New Zealand undercooked, off form and in transition. Even if we get 50/50 parity up front we'll huff and puff to manufacture scoring chances whilst New Zealand will punish us every time they get into our 22.

I'm basically saying we need the benefit of things that are outside our control- the weather, the form of the opposition etc.- to go for us because this group of players and coaches have shown they aren't going to surprise us by getting the things they have in their control spot on.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 22 May 2012, 11:07 am

The Great Aukster wrote:

I enjoyed that! What on earth were Ulster doing playing ball in overtime with not even a bonus point on offer? Still fairly typical broken field turnover try against a disorganised defence.

Aye it is completely free flowing. Not exactly the same as the try he created against the O's in the semi this year that was him choosing a good line. I would say that clip demonstrates his abilities as a winger rather than a centre as it is just so loose.

Agree with another poster who said Earls should back himself more he is very very quick.

Sin-Obviously Kearney is very fast too. He eclipses Luke Fitz for speed by quite some distance.

That was some kick by Leamy phoah! OK

Do we need 3 scrumhalves?
In the back 3 we only have:
Zebo, Earls, McFadden, Trimble and Kearney

I can see us taking another winger possibly. Or is that just silly? Headscratch [/quote]

Earls is often accused of not being 'aware' - well he was here and that was a great offload. What page no in the outside centre playing instructions does it say you are not allowed run wing like lines? When you are chopping and changing a lot (13 for province, 11 for Ireland) you'll get that. Don't think its a disadvantage though!

Said in the paper that Paddy Jackson will be called up if either Sexton or O'Gara gets injured. Makes sense as he will be match fit and they are on a hiding to nothing in the Baby World cup in their particular group!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 22 May 2012, 11:08 am

I hate to say it but Trimble is lucky to be in there as he hasn't been in great form since the 6N. ROG has had a poor season as well.

Dave Kearney and Ian Madigan are very unlucky indeed as is Gavin Duffy.

I hope Kevin McLaughlin and Chris Henry make the squad as they've both been had excellent seasons.

Last edited by rodders on Tue 22 May 2012, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next