The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1/2p and Other Welsh Players "Respect" Mistake

+16
eirebilly
Mr Fishpaste
Luckless Pedestrian
Hood83
Cari
offload
kiakahaaotearoa
damngoodOvalball
munkian
Biltong
fa0019
sugarNspikes
gowales
ScarletSpiderman
RuggerRadge2611
RubyGuby
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1/2p and Other Welsh Players "Respect" Mistake Empty 1/2p and Other Welsh Players "Respect" Mistake

Post by RubyGuby Thu 24 May 2012, 12:01 pm

I am both embarassed and fed up of seeing welsh players over recent years claiming they want to be respected. You never get other national sides whimpering on about this and for me it reveals something weak within the welsh psyche. They have so got this all wrong. All the SH coaches and players have great respect for Wales and more so now than ever. Therefore, I believe 1/2p and his mates need to recognise this and start respecting themselves rather than banging on about it like children wanting attention. You have the respect Wales, you now need to go and back that up FFS mad thumbsup

Don't worry i look forward to the WUMS and hopefully some sensible posts.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

1/2p and Other Welsh Players "Respect" Mistake Empty Re: 1/2p and Other Welsh Players "Respect" Mistake

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 24 May 2012, 12:12 pm

Help me out Ruby, who is disrespecting Wales to make 1/2 rant about respect?

The Ozzies? Or someone else?

As a Scottish fan I certainly respect Wales and I think most of the other home nations would respect a team that just Grand Slammed the 6N.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

1/2p and Other Welsh Players "Respect" Mistake Empty Re: 1/2p and Other Welsh Players "Respect" Mistake

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 May 2012, 12:16 pm

Ruby - I see what you mean but I think it is more the press trying to get players to say that the want/demand/deserve to be respected by the rest of the world, as opposed to the players being mentally frigile and requiring reassurance from other nations that they are good boys.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 24 May 2012, 12:19 pm

I think we (fans) can be a bit paranoid at times, constantly looking for the worlds approval that we are a good rugby nation.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 24 May 2012, 12:23 pm

Are there articles in the press from 1/2p etc saying that Wales don't get respect? Can we have a few links?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 May 2012, 12:23 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18169398
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 24 May 2012, 12:27 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18169398
It's a complete non-story (as usual). He's saying you only get respect by beating sides and by earning it.

He's not whinging, it's just banal soundbites that you hear from almost any sportsperson.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 24 May 2012, 12:28 pm

nothing wrong with what he said... he said that he wants to be respected by the SH and the only way he can do that is to win in the SH.... something he admits he hasn't done yet.

He is not calling to be respected for things he has actually done.

Here in the SH you get no respect for zero achievement and in the SH a GS is zero achievement.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 May 2012, 12:32 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18169398
It's a complete non-story (as usual). He's saying you only get respect by beating sides and by earning it.

He's not whinging, it's just banal soundbites that you hear from almost any sportsperson.

Which is pretty much what I said in my earlier post, it is the press twisting words and asking specific questions so that they can spin a 'we need to be liked' story that just doesn't exist.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 24 May 2012, 12:35 pm

Spiderman, I'm not even sure the press have twisted this one that much. It seems straightforward and non-controversial ie boring Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 May 2012, 12:40 pm

Spikes - the headline was a bit dramatic.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 24 May 2012, 12:43 pm

You don't have to win in the SH to get respect. Talk to the SH coaches, listen to the SH players, they have great respect for the welsh team. People like 1/2p and many others before him seeking this out, even unwittingly just gauls me, it's always welsh players and its been going on for years.

Go Wales alludes to it in his post above where he suggests

" think we (fans) can be a bit paranoid at times, constantly looking for the worlds approval that we are a good rugby nation" -

It's probably a welsh trait IMO but it is very much endemic. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 24 May 2012, 1:13 pm

To misquote Mr Cobain,

Just because you're paranoid
Doesn't mean they're not respecting you

Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 24 May 2012, 1:16 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Spikes - the headline was a bit dramatic.
It is a little. They could have made it better though.

Halfpenny Demands Respect From Southern Softies raspberry

Wink

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 24 May 2012, 1:17 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:To misquote Mr Cobain,

Just because you're paranoid
Doesn't mean they're not respecting you

Smile

1/2p and Other Welsh Players "Respect" Mistake I-see-what-you-did-there

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 24 May 2012, 1:19 pm

What you really, REALLY want as a team is to see the FEAR, you can keep the respect. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 24 May 2012, 1:21 pm

'You don't owe me respect, you OWE ME AWE !!'

Red Dragon Thomas Harris

Wales
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 24 May 2012, 1:25 pm

munkian wrote:'You don't owe me respect, you OWE ME AWE !!'

Red Dragon Thomas Harris

Wales

Hartley (Lions captain Wink) ate his finger with some fava beans and a fine Chianti.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Thu 24 May 2012, 1:27 pm

RubyGuby wrote: All the SH coaches and players have great respect for Wales

No they don't. Far from it in fact, but why does that matter? 1/2p is saying, quite rightly, that Wales need to beat the big 3 to earn their respect, not just give them the odd good game in Cardiff every now and then.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 24 May 2012, 1:29 pm

I'd say Jim 'Voldemort' Mallinder looks more like Ralph Fiennes Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 24 May 2012, 5:34 pm

Frankly I don't think there's much to this article and the other one about being an embarrassment if Australia lose to Wales.

Halfpenny has said he has never beaten a SH side. So I'm not sure Wales have the respect of Australia. Let's face it, they don't have the respect of any side. They always back themselves, regardless of the opposition.

It's another bland, half-baked morsel offered up as a deadline approached and garnished with a sensationalist headline and can be conveniently heated up whenever so desired simply by saying the word respect. So I'm afraid drawing our attention to this drab fare is an oversight on your part Ruby and recommend being more critical with your palate next time. thumbsup

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 24 May 2012, 5:54 pm

Kia - I really think you need to be welsh to understand this one sorry - It's a national trait and if you're missing the point that's fine - Ovalball, if you think Aus don't respect the NH Champions then I have to disagree sorry old chum thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 24 May 2012, 6:00 pm

If I may say this.

If my son comes to me and says someone is bullying him at school (in relation to disrespect) my answer to him is man up and sort the bloke out.

The same applies to any rugby team. Firstly I don't think it is wise to publically state anther team doesn't respect you (in relation to a bully it shows weakness)

If you want respect on a rugby field, you take it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 24 May 2012, 6:23 pm

Australia don't respect anyone. I mean that in a positive way. They fear no one. Of course Wales are going to be a tough opponent.

I understand your point. You want the Welsh players to do their talking on the field rather than in these interviews. But we have so much news we have to put up with this guff so all I'm saying bear in mind a journalist has pre-written this article and has just got an appropriate soundbite dressed up as insight into the player's psyche. Don't be fooled. It's much like I don't like it when ABs get so precious about the haka. Everyone cites Nonu as crying after your Welsh boys put up a good response but I'd be surprised if he was quoted accurately by the journalist and my anger at Nonu would best be directed somewhere else. thumbsup

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 24 May 2012, 6:35 pm

Sorry this is a bit off topic - I don't have any opinion on what 1/2p did or didn't mean.

Its just that I hate the modern use of the word respect. It's become some note of passing approval rather than a core value. I also dislike the notion that respect has to be earned. No one has to earn my respect - I give it freely.

What we need to see is a lot more self respect and if more people had that then there would be less demand for it from others.

Last edited by offload on Thu 24 May 2012, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 24 May 2012, 6:35 pm

I respect your opinion offload.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 24 May 2012, 6:39 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I respect your opinion offload.

I deserved that. Laugh
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 24 May 2012, 6:40 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I respect your opinion offload.
Whistle laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 24 May 2012, 6:46 pm

To be fair to 1/2p I do wonder sometimes if these sort of quotes are taken out of context and blown up to make a story about nothing. I did cringe at the BBC headline though which just said "HALFPENNY WANTS WORLD'S RESPECT" Made him sound like a Mafia boss or something...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 24 May 2012, 6:48 pm

Exactly Cari. I think by clicking on these links, we're giving the wrong idea. We don't want to read something we could make up ourselves. I wrote a thread on this - press cuttings - as a form of protest.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 25 May 2012, 8:55 am

I respect Wales - Deans

Bet Now | Share It

May 16, 2012 17:04:51 UK

Wales will arrive confident of success in Australia, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has warned.

Deans believes the Wales squad are ready to push on after their Six Nations success earlier this year. Rob Howley, Wales' caretaker coach, has named a 38-man squad for the tour which includes four uncapped players.

"After winning the Six Nations so impressively, there's no doubt that Wales see this tour as the chance to take the next step," Deans said.

The core of the Welsh squad has been together for a long time, and they are used to being successful.

Wales finished fourth at last year’s Rugby World Cup before achieving a second Grand Slam of the annual European Six Nations tournament in five years.

They are 9.00 to win the 2015 Rugby World Cup, while Australia are 6.50.

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 25 May 2012, 11:20 am

I think it's been mentioned before but i think most of the Welsh lads are saying 'we want to earn the SH's respect' rather than 'we demand respect from them'.

It's an important distinction and i think shows the increased maturity of that squad. As an Englishman i think it's great to see Wales looking forward and trying to make some new history, if that makes sense. Good luck to them, been really impressed by their collective attitude.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 25 May 2012, 12:06 pm

Hood the problem for me is that the SH does respect them yet they keep whinging on about wanting to be respected. I can't stand it, just get on with it FFS thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 25 May 2012, 12:08 pm

Perhaps the problem isn't with the SH then, but rather with the teams that travel there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 25 May 2012, 12:08 pm

The problem isn't with the SH and never has been thumbsup

The irony is that if Wales go there and win the Test series 3-0 then the Aussies will totally disrespect them after that Whistle

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 25 May 2012, 12:53 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Kia - I really think you need to be welsh to understand this one sorry - It's a national trait and if you're missing the point that's fine - Ovalball, if you think Aus don't respect the NH Champions then I have to disagree sorry old chum thumbsup

I just don't agree that "all the SH players and coaches respect Wales". Whether they should or not is another matter. Personally I don't see why its such a big issue. Respect will come from the opposition (in this case Australia) when Wales beat them. Simple as that

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 25 May 2012, 12:55 pm

Oval - Read what Deans sais, if you don't think that they don't respect Wales and their players then that's your perogative, I just differ big time and would consider them arrogant fools if they didn't respect this side. I do not think they are though unlike some thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 25 May 2012, 1:10 pm

Deans doesn't represent all the SH coaches and players Ruby, and let's face it he's unlikely to say that he doesn't respect any team.
Not sure if you're having a little dig at me there with your last sentence (apologies if you aren't) but perhaps youre being a tad sensitive. I'm just offering my opinion which is that I don't agree with you that "all the SH coaches and players respect Wales". It's almost seems that you are craving the respect of all the SH players and coaches and yet having a go at 1/2p for (quite rightly IMO) craving victories over the top 3 on the pitch. Wales are a side to be respected. I just don't think that the SH teams really have that respect for the NH sides. Look at the 2003 RWC. England had beaten the top 3 sides regularly leading up to the tournament and yet did the kiwis respect them? Did they f@@k

Anyway, that Martin Corry advert for holland and Barrett has just come on so you'll have to excuse me whilst I'm violently sick

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 May 2012, 1:23 pm

I did sort of cringe when I read the BBC article the other day. Whether the journalist (unnamed, funnily enough) went looking for the soundbite or not, it would have been better if Halfpenny had said something along the lines of, 'I don't care what anyone else thinks of us.' What does it matter what anyone else thinks? Results are what matters.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Fri 25 May 2012, 1:35 pm

This all sounds like a tribute to Aretha Franklin!

"What you want...Aussies I've got it
What you need...Kiwi's I've got it
All I'm asking for is a little respect (just a little bit, just a little bit)"

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 25 May 2012, 1:43 pm

Oval our argument is circular and I believe we disagree - nothing wrong with that - I saw the Corry advert last night, they must have just shot 1 take thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Fri 25 May 2012, 3:04 pm

"Oval's argument is cicrular" Very Happy

Alright, enough silly quips from me...I'll try to make a serious contribution with my next post.

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 25 May 2012, 3:08 pm

Nice one fishpaste I missed that obvious one you bxxxxxxxxxxxxxx thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 25 May 2012, 6:28 pm

Aaahhh Shrink, are you asking for respect as a credible poster? Wink Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieJakexv Fri 25 May 2012, 7:45 pm

I find it hard to respect any Northern Hemisphere teams - some individual players, of course, (O'Driscoll, Gethin Jenkins, and Kearney etc) but the teams consistently fail against our big 3 sides. I mean the standard of Six Nations is dire compared to our former Tri Nations.

AussieJakexv

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 26 May 2012, 11:10 am

AussieJakexv wrote:I find it hard to respect any Northern Hemisphere teams - some individual players, of course, (O'Driscoll, Gethin Jenkins, and Kearney etc) but the teams consistently fail against our big 3 sides. I mean the standard of Six Nations is dire compared to our former Tri Nations.

Unfortunately Jake your attitude is typical and yet so unfortunate. Why do you have a problem "respecting" teams that are not as good as yours? A lack of respect for what you perceive to be inferior is not a quality to be proud of.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 26 May 2012, 11:11 am

offload wrote:
AussieJakexv wrote:I find it hard to respect any Northern Hemisphere teams - some individual players, of course, (O'Driscoll, Gethin Jenkins, and Kearney etc) but the teams consistently fail against our big 3 sides. I mean the standard of Six Nations is dire compared to our former Tri Nations.

Unfortunately Jake your attitude is typical and yet so unfortunate. Why do you have a problem "respecting" teams that are not as good as yours? A lack of respect for what you perceive to be inferior is not a quality to be proud of.

I wholeheartedly agree with you offload, there is a big difference between not repsecting a team and not fearing a team.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieJakexv Sat 26 May 2012, 12:52 pm

In a sporting sense respect is about recognising how good a team is compared to its status, financial, cultural and talent restrictions. You cannot respect a group of PROFESSIONAL RUGBY PLAYERS being paid AS MUCH IF NOT MORE than our own players, who consistently perform BELOW OUR LEVEL.

I admire individual players and coaches as I have said and I will give credit to the opposition whenever it should be given. For example I was blown away by several Canadian, Tongan and Romanian players during the world cup and I respected their efforts. Wales, England and Ireland on the other hand under achieve considering their wages, contracts, sponsorships etc and I cannot respect such losers. Obviously excluding the likes of BOD, Kearney etc.

AussieJakexv

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 May 2012, 1:53 pm

See, here's the Beeb at it again with their stupid headlines:

"Wales deserve an invincible air" which is based on another quote from Gareth Thomas, when he actually said:

"Having the feeling of invincibility is deserved because they've beaten everyone in their path by winning the Grand Slam,"So you know what? I don't think you can knock the boys for being like that. But when you talk to them or when you're around them they're actually an honest, decent bunch of people. So I don't think in any way they'll be arrogant about it."

Well let's just make them sound arrogant anyway, eh BBC Sport? Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 26 May 2012, 2:35 pm

I could be wrong but isn't a "feeling of invincibility" something quite different from an "air of invincibility"? To me a feeling on invincibility is more a firm belief in yourself, whereas the term used in the beeb headline indicates that everyone around you should feel you're invincible.

Maybe the players (and Alfie) should just learn their lessons and stop giving interviews to the English media.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next