The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh and Australian teams head to head.

+19
GunsGerms
welliamwibb
WWosprey
welshy6
TycroesOsprey
thebluesmancometh
mckay1402
munkian
Biltong
flyhalffactory
Cymroglan
Morgannwg
majesticimperialman
wales606
CurlyOsp
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
Shifty
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Welsh and Australian teams head to head. Empty Welsh and Australian teams head to head.

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

15) Leigh Halfpenny (Blues);
14) Alex Cuthbert (Blues),
13) Jonathan Davies (Scarlets),
12) Scott Williams (Scarlets),
11) George North (Scarlets);
10) Rhys Priestland (Scarlets),
9) Mike Phillips (Bayonne);
1) Gethin Jenkins (Toulon),
2) Ken Owens (Scarlets),
3) Adam Jones (Ospreys),
4) Bradley Davies (Blues),
5) Luke Charteris (Perpignan),
6) Dan Lydiate (Dragons),
7) Sam Warburton (Blues, capt),
8) Toby Faletau (Dragons).

Replacements:
Matthew Rees (Scarlets),
Paul James (Bath),
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys),
Ryan Jones (Ospreys),
Lloyd Williams (Blues),
James Hook (Perpignan),
Ashley Beck (Ospreys).

15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs)
14. Joe Tomane (Brumbies)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)
7. David Pocock (captain, Western Force)
6. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves:
16. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
17. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
18. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs)
19. Michael Hooper (Brumbies)
20. Nic White (Brumbies)
21. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
22. Mike Harris (Queensland Reds)
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Welsh and Australian teams head to head. Empty Re: Welsh and Australian teams head to head.

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

I'm really scratching my head at some of these selections. The Ospreys have creamed Munster and won the league title in Dublin, yet only have 1 starting player!

Ryan Jones, AWJ, Ianto, Tips, and Hibbard have formed the back bone of a magnificent pack in winning the Rabo Direct and the grand slam and yet none of them are good enough for the first test!

I'm also a bit worried about the lack of organisation and experience in the Welsh backs, it looks like a team of kids. Who's the guys who's going to be organising them?

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Welsh and Australian teams head to head. Empty Re: Welsh and Australian teams head to head.

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:41 pm

I honestly dont know which way to call this game.

My heart says Wales but my head says Australia due again to our shocking record in the SH.

With the exception of Jamie Roberts this is pretty much one of our strongest teams to have gone against them and we finally have a very strong (especially forwards) looking bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:43 pm

THere is plenty of leadership in that team in a mix of experience and the X factor that Warburton has brought as Captain.

Gethin, Adam, Mike and Luke have all been around enough to know what to do. We have several triple GS winners in the team too.

Its a huge ask of the youngsters, but they havent let us down have they...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

It does seem strange that the players from the most successful team in Wales arent being utilised. Personally I would have started Beck ahead of Williams and dropped B.Davies for AWJ, with Tipuric taking his place on the bench.

The only only reason there's a lack of leadership in the backs is because Roberts is injured. Phillips is still there to bark orders and he'll have more time to do so with Warburton leading the pack. Besides, it's about time one of our "talented youngsters" crossed the bridge into becoming an "experienced international".

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:05 pm

Personally I'd of been a lot happier if the pack was:

8 Ryan Jones
7 Sam Warburton
6 Dan Lydiate
5 Ian Evans
4 Alun Wyn Jones
3 Adam Jones
2 Richard Hibbard
1 Gethin Jenkins
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:08 pm

Not sure i would pick anyone over toby Faletau, he is an exceptional player. Evans is injured

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:08 pm

Curly,

I am guessing that AWJ will only hve just got out there hence why on bench.

Alyn,

Evans isn't there yet as getting married and for next week I expect to see Evans and AWJ in the 2nd row though for me Evans and Charteris is our best combo
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:09 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Not sure i would pick anyone over toby Faletau, he is an exceptional player. Evans is injured

Is he injured as well Maes?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:17 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Not sure i would pick anyone over toby Faletau, he is an exceptional player. Evans is injured

Is he injured as well Maes?

Ian Evans is getting married.

AWJ was at his sisters' wedding so played vs the Baabaas and flew out later - so was only considered for a bench spot.

Ryan Jones is a 6 these days, he isn't a better 8 than Faletau, and despite being on amazing form, he isn't worth more than the Lydiate - Warburton partnership. Ryan will be playing super sub.

Hibbard is on good form, but hasn't been constant for Wales, Ken Owens has - and Rees is the former captain and B&I Lion.

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

Yeah I knew thats why he wasn't there for first one was just wondering whether he had picked up and injury as well.

Agree about R Jones and the Warbs and Lyd partenership aside he just isn't as good as the form Lydiate is currently in but great to have off the bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

I guess the point I was making was the get as much of the Ospreys pack in there because their all fit, on form and confident. I forgot about Ianto though. Crying or Very sad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:26 pm

What i am looking forward to is the battle of the 10s.

Berrick Barnes v Rhys Priestland. Which ever of these 2 controls the game the best, could well win the game for their team.

Good luck to Wales for Saturday.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

Alyn after saturday I think AWJ and Evans will be back in the starting lineup. with that I think Tips will be back on the bench with R.Jones. I would also have had Hibbard in Rees' place, I think that's a mistake. Either Owens or Hibbard are our best hooker right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing your pack start one of the tests Very Happy. It's a 'Grand Slamming' pack!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:What i am looking forward to is the battle of the 10s.

Berrick Barnes v Rhys Priestland. Which ever of these 2 controls the game the best, could well win the game for their team.

Good luck to Wales for Saturday.

I think Genia vs Phillips will be the most interesting battle, and potentially decide the game.

I don't think many would disagree that it is the best NH scrum half vs the best SH scrum half.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Alyn after saturday I think AWJ and Evans will be back in the starting lineup. with that I think Tips will be back on the bench with R.Jones. I would also have had Hibbard in Rees' place, I think that's a mistake. Either Owens or Hibbard are our best hooker right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing your pack start one of the tests Very Happy. It's a 'Grand Slamming' pack!

I doubt Davies and Charteris will both be dropped from the 22, one of them is bound to perform well...

Without a 5/2 split I can't see Tipuric getting a bench spot unless there are injuries as Ryan won't be used as lock cover when we have 4 very good locks.

I think Ian Evans and Charteris will start the second test, with AWJ on the bench.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:35 pm

Yeah, that's a battle of two average outside halves right there isn't it.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:38 pm

When you go for individual battles at 9 or 10 then the pack would need to be pretty even, It's much easier to win the battle if your forwards are on the front foot.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:56 pm

I think Australia are asking a lot of Nathan Sharpe, he is 34 and played on Tuesday, wasn't he one of the players treated for Hypothermia after the game too?

I think come 50 minutes a lot of these guys who played last Tuesday might be on their last legs.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

AlynDavies wrote:I think Australia are asking a lot of Nathan Sharpe, he is 34 and played on Tuesday, wasn't he one of the players treated for Hypothermia after the game too?

I think come 50 minutes a lot of these guys who played last Tuesday might be on their last legs.

Fingers Crossed
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

Evans and Charteris for me is our best 2nd row combo which means AWJ and R Jones on the bench for me.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:42 pm

AlynDavies wrote: wasn't he one of the players treated for Hypothermia after the game too?

I take it not many of the scots were suffering from anything other than something a few paracetamol or an alka seltzer might cure...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
AlynDavies wrote: wasn't he one of the players treated for Hypothermia after the game too?

I take it not many of the scots were suffering from anything other than something a few paracetamol or an alka seltzer might cure...!

Or a few head stitches...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:56 pm

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Ha ha ha...! Jesus that would have been a good night out, the look on the players faces after the game said everything about what that result meant to them. lets hope we see some welshmen with the same gleeful disposition on saturday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:21 am

maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Ha ha ha...! Jesus that would have been a good night out, the look on the players faces after the game said everything about what that result meant to them. lets hope we see some welshmen with the same gleeful disposition on saturday.

You clearly didn't see how the Scottish players celebrated

http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/06/2619/scotland-celebrate-historic-win-over-wallabies-with-sickening-head-clash
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:52 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Evans and Charteris for me is our best 2nd row combo which means AWJ and R Jones on the bench for me.

Bedford
Agree 100% Charteris is the best lock you have by a country mile and the best balance is with Davies' agression, in my mind Ian Evans deffo is pushing them but AWJ is a distant 4th............ but I would rather Ryan start at 8 ahead of Toby

Alyn as much as Hibbard has played well, he was not any better than a half fit Rees last week and certainly no improvement in the throwins (and thats with Rees fingers been taped together), and Owens is a better all round player and until Rees is fully fit has to start.

Beck is unlucky although Williams did very well whenever he played last season
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 08 Jun 2012, 6:42 am

The big question here is can this Wallaby back line fire? I think the packs are more or less equal, but Wales back line is really only missing Roberts, where as the Wallabies are missing Beale, O'Connor and Cooper, and Barnes might be the reason their back line won't function at its optimum
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 6:49 am

Then again Bill they do have Genia, who is a game changer.. Ioane is no slouch, AAC and Barnes have played very well against Wales in the past.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 08 Jun 2012, 6:55 am

Yes I do agree, I expect Barnes to go for the corners, he will look to get the ball in behind North and Cuthbert, the problem for Oz is the devastation in attck they lose, Wales can still run the inside line at pace with North even though Roberts is not there. the other point is Beale and O'Connor from depth ffer a lot more than AAC
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:05 am

biltongbek wrote:The big question here is can this Wallaby back line fire? I think the packs are more or less equal, but Wales back line is really only missing Roberts, where as the Wallabies are missing Beale, O'Connor and Cooper, and Barnes might be the reason their back line won't function at its optimum

You really think the packs are equal ? Do you mean at scrum time or in the loose ? The Welsh front row will stand up to anyone in the world.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:07 am

Munkian they might be a little on the back foot in the Scrum, but overall I think they will compete well
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:51 am

Genia is the only player who worries me,the rest look like they could be contained,
I don't think they are risking it with Sharpe the guy is a machine they should get an hour out of him.
If possible could someone personal message me any links so I can watch the game tomorrow please.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:56 am

biltongbek wrote:Munkian they might be a little on the back foot in the Scrum, but overall I think they will compete well

If the the scrum is refereed with even slightly more compentancy this time Wales should have the upper hand. The amount of time Aus collapsed the scrum without penalty last game was mental, they would have been a man down if it was played in the Northen hemisphere.

Planet rugby predict a slim Welsh win
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:02 am

For me the big question mark and weakness for Wales is Priestland. He blows too hot and cold at International level to be considered consistent. If he has an off game, in a position of control as important as 10, then the whole back line is shut down and we struggle to get momentum. I'm hoping that being surrounded by fellow Scarlets backs he feels more at home and will have more of a natural feeling for the players around him. The Scarlets score some sublime tries through the backs (just check youtube), so hopefully he can bring club play/form to this game.

Not sure what the alternative is mind. I'm not a hugh Hook fan, but I hear he's doing well with a good run in the Perpignan squad?

Actually, it always amazes me the cycle of depth and despair in the Welsh team over the years. If only we could have depth in ALL key positions at once then we might get somewhere! We often talk about the 'welsh flyhalf factory', but at the moment we seem to be doing better at producing locks and back rowers, positions we've often struggled with in the past. Prisetland is OK 'on his day' (ha!), Hook has been messed around and is subsequently inconsistent (understandably), and then we're down to kids or oldies. It's a bit bleak at 10 for us at the moment...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:04 am

munkian wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Munkian they might be a little on the back foot in the Scrum, but overall I think they will compete well

If the the scrum is refereed with even slightly more compentancy this time Wales should have the upper hand. The amount of time Aus collapsed the scrum without penalty last game was mental, they would have been a man down if it was played in the Northen hemisphere.

Planet rugby predict a slim Welsh win

I know what you're saying Munk, but this is a different front row for Aus. I don't think we'll muller them. They'll be very competitive IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:18 am

Don't know how much Super XV you have watched, but this is the Waratahs front row, and did rather well in the competition so far.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:23 am

biltongbek wrote:Don't know how much Super XV you have watched, but this is the Waratahs front row, and did rather well in the competition so far.

Rather well for a S15 side , you lot only care about tries Very Happy Run
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:30 am

biltongbek wrote:Don't know how much Super XV you have watched, but this is the Waratahs front row, and did rather well in the competition so far.

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. I think the front row battle will be even.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:41 am

munkian wrote:

Rather well for a S15 side , you lot only care about tries Very Happy Run
Don't tell the Stormers that. they won't believe you. Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Just saw its a 90% chance of rain.

Not sure who it will favour as its going to slow down North and Cuthbert :/

I think I would have preferred dry conditions against this Aus team. No Roberts for crash ball either...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:12 pm

It will also slow down the tackler so that evens things out.
Rain wont bother the players as long as it's not blowing a gale out there.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

We will be more used to rain than them mind you.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

Handling skills will be paramount.

Ireland vs Wales in the first 6N game, I was very impressed with Wales' handling considering they hadn't player together for months, hopefully they will do the same if its slippery wet conditions.

Fingers Crossed No injuries though
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

I like Scott Williams in the team. He seems to be able to find the line which will get behind a defence. Much more guile as a backline than with Roberts. I would have picked R Jones on the bench as well because he can cover so many positions. He's also an impact player off the bench. Beck has been in good form but this is not the situation to chuck him in for his first international rugby.

With regards the front rows I don't think Aus will live with Wales in the scrum. I can't wait for the breakdown to see how that will be interpreted.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:21 pm

I am worried...

Firstly Mccabe (who is on lightening form) and Ioane (who is just immense) are really going to test that 10/12 channel, Our back row and Phillips are going to have to deal with Genia (nuff said) and Barnes (looking very sharp) as well as cover that channel. Williams is no walkover, but we know Priestlands failures, Mccabe and Ioane will anhialate those two given the chance!!

The Aus tight five really taught the Scots a lesson at the set peice. Fords lineout was a mess but Moores was much smarter. Sharpe was the only real lineout operater and Scotland failed to target him! Also the ref just failed to bother penalising Aus in the scrum, they actually frustrated Scotland into mistakes. If Aus are allowed to drop the scrum after a decent hit every time it's a non contest!!!

Then theres the breakdown, it was a non contest when Aus had the ball, sealing off at every other ruck, and allowed by the ref. They played him like a fiddle, and they will definately look to do the same against Wales.

It's simple we have to be in 2 gears higher than the Scots were to beat Aus, and although I think this welsh team definately has that in their locker, I don't know if a galvanised, and determined Aus team will fall to it.

I know one thing, Wales have the ability to beat Aus and rack up some points, I just don't think they will quite have enough nous to play the day to do so.

Aus by 3 my heads telling me!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

Also just want to say, I think Aus have missed a trick with Harris. Barnes shows much more flair but in the wet Harris ability at goal and out of hand would be a handy weapon to have. I think the game may come down to the taking of the 3's and 1/2p can be devestating there, as would JOC and Harris be.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:51 pm

Home advantage will be a huge factor too. The reds have driven the union fans in Bris-Vegas rugby mad and they will all be out to watch the Wallabies give Wales a good seeing to..!

We know we have a good, young and ambitious team down there, they have some Worldclass old heads to guide them in Geth, Adam and Phillips.

It will be a great game, I know Wales can win it but rugby is so unpredictable.

I need a distraction from the antagonising wait until tomorrow morning...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:20 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I am worried...

Firstly Mccabe (who is on lightening form) and Ioane (who is just immense) are really going to test that 10/12 channel, Our back row and Phillips are going to have to deal with Genia (nuff said) and Barnes (looking very sharp) as well as cover that channel. Williams is no walkover, but we know Priestlands failures, Mccabe and Ioane will anhialate those two given the chance!!

The Aus tight five really taught the Scots a lesson at the set peice. Fords lineout was a mess but Moores was much smarter. Sharpe was the only real lineout operater and Scotland failed to target him! Also the ref just failed to bother penalising Aus in the scrum, they actually frustrated Scotland into mistakes. If Aus are allowed to drop the scrum after a decent hit every time it's a non contest!!!

Then theres the breakdown, it was a non contest when Aus had the ball, sealing off at every other ruck, and allowed by the ref. They played him like a fiddle, and they will definately look to do the same against Wales.

It's simple we have to be in 2 gears higher than the Scots were to beat Aus, and although I think this welsh team definately has that in their locker, I don't know if a galvanised, and determined Aus team will fall to it.

I know one thing, Wales have the ability to beat Aus and rack up some points, I just don't think they will quite have enough nous to play the day to do so.

Aus by 3 my heads telling me!

Firstly, Barnes isnt looking sharp, I thought it was a satirical piece at first when I read that. Both against Scotland and in the Super league he has looked way out of sorts, Kicking far too much and waywardly. Barnes at ten is great for Wales as his distribution is poor and his running threat the least of any ozzie at outhalf. McCabe is a very good defensive midfield choice but not an offensive one. There is a distinct lack of penetration in the Australia backs compared to past sides. In the 6 Nations I had a similar feeling about the French selection. Its as if they are going to go out against the welsh desperate not to lose rather than desperate to win. I think that gives us a psychological advantage we have never had against the Ozzies in the pro era.

In the pack your analysis was spot on the Aussies twisted and dropped at virtually every scrum and the ref for the most part let it go. Similarly with the breakdown and sealing off however I do expect Joubert to be more on the ball than the guy on tuesday.

In the scrum Wales tight five have the edge over their Aussie counterparts. The Ozzies havent got better at scrummaging they have got cleverer. However I do think our tight five are streetwise enough to deal with it.

In the backrow Higgingbottom and Pocock will be on their third game in a week and I think they are going to struggle at the 60 min mark, Robinson in his first international start for a year is also being asked a lot.

All the pressure is on the home side and Dingo, My head says wales will win and should win well. My heart knows deep down we are capable of screwing it up (yes Gareth Cooper Im looking at you) but for a change Im going with my head.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

For all the betting folk, there's a chance to make some money on Wales winning
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm

munkian wrote:For all the betting folk, there's a chance to make some money on Wales winning

Very Happy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next