The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland team vs Fiji

+20
Manky-Flanker
bsando
Wi11
NeilyBroon
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
tigertattie
Biltong
RuggerRadge2611
TJ1
Scot Abroad
formerly known as Sam
IanBru
alexgmacdonald
RDW
EST
KickAndChase
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland team vs Fiji Empty Scotland team vs Fiji

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 am

Time for a new thread and to leave the victory in Oz behind. The lads travel on the weekend to Fiji and a week after that they will face Fiji in their own backyard. FIJI v SCOTLAND at Churchill Park, Lautoka, on Saturday 16 June 2012, with kick-off 3pm (local). Not sure this match is being televised anywhere unfortunately.

Altho Fiji seem to have regressed somewhat over the last few years from their 2007 RWC heights, this remains a massive potential banana skin for the Scots. Our performance in Australia in attrocious conditions that were a great leveller stands out for the supreme defensive effort, but in the dry, humid conditions of the islands, we'll need to show a wee bit more in attack.

Taking from the SH Tour thread, a few brave posters have ventured their opinions on team selection for this second fixture of the summer tour:

Captain_Sensible wrote:The performance against Oz has given us quite a few selectorial headaches (in a good way, for a change!)

Welsh or Grant?

I think Welsh deserves to build on his performance vs Italy, but Grant was just superb last night. It was great for Scotland to have a scrum that could be used as a weapon, for a change. I’d keep Grant as the starter, and Welsh on the bench. I’m sure Welsh will get a chance to play, as the games vs Samoa and Fiji will be played at a much faster pace and in higher temperatures of course. Happy for Murray to stay at TH as well, he should munch the Fijian scrum.

Harley or Strokosch?

Big Stroker made me eat my words yesterday – I didn’t think he should have been selected, but he was immense. Having said, I think the conditions suited his style of play, and he probably isn’t the right answer at 6 for the future. I really do think that Harley should get some game time, but that can maybe wait for the Samoa game. I’d be happy with either playing, though there is an argument for Harley to come on from the bench.

Visser or Lamont or Brown or Ansbro?

I think Ansbro should stay at wing – every time he gets the ball he does something decent with it, and he defends very well too. Matt Scott and NDL should be allowed to show off their form as a partnership at club level in conditions more conducive to running rugby, so I think the centre pairing is solid for the Fiji game. I think Visser should take the other wing slot, with Brown covering the back three from the bench. Perhaps harsh to drop Lamont entirely and keep Brown on the bench, but we’ve been waiting three years for Visser to tear teams apart – let’s see him do it asap!

So, team for Fiji would be

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch/Harley
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Harley/Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

and

allyt2k wrote:1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

Don't want to change the team to much, Sean sounds like he's taken a knock to the ribs so straight swap with Visser. Brown and Grant capped with Scott getting good game time at 12, priority of the bench would probably be weir and welsh but depends how the Fiji game goes and injuries.

Don't move Hogg to 13 he's really good where he is with him and Brown challenging each other for the 15 berth with Mr Glass as cover. Bring Dunbar through as 13 and Bennett needs to start making an impact France or he's gonna be forgotten about.

Agree that Laidlaw will probably move back to 9 in the next couple of seasons when Leonard gets more game time, so I would keep Jackson at 10 but give him a kick up the backside.

I see Max has arrived with the squad, I think it would be wrong to put him in the squad or on the bench in place of Brown, unless Ansbro is injuried after his hug with stroker then i cant see any reason for his inclusion, like Vernon he hasn't been on the best of form.

and
funnyExiledScot wrote:My team for Fiji:

1.Grant 2.Ford 3.Murray 4.Kellock 5.Gray 6.Strokosch 7.Rennie 8.Vernon 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.NDL 14.Ansbro 15.Hogg

16.S Lawson 17.Welsh 18.Ryder 19.Harley 20.Cusiter 21.Weir 22.Brown

Just two changes to Tuesday's side for me. Visser, because Lamont was injured plus hasn't been close to Visser's form all season, and Vernon, purely because I think this game will suit his abilities perfectly (and because I still see Barclay as a 7 rather than an 8, despite his awesome performance).

I'd like Welsh, Ryder and Harley all to get some time on the pitch in this game, assuming the match situation permits it.

and

George Carlin wrote:Agree Captain - Grant and Murray have to stay and I am starting to agree with Ferrie in the Herald today who said that Robinson has to realise Al Kellock's brain and his ability to keep talking to the ref and get him onside (something which Ford has not got a handle on yet) is worth the trade-off for not being as fat a knacker as Swingin' Jim Hamilton. I would also blurt out the following:

1. Should Max Evans replace Joe Ansbro?

I am a big fan of Ansbro - he never seems to waste a ball and runs very good lines. I hope that everyone has been on RugbyDump.com and seen Max's 60m run against Toulouse in the Top 14 semi-final, only for him to have a nutty when he got over the line and try to pass it back instead of wrestling it to the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhkwBYCJN8&feature=player_embedded

Impressive and yet not impressive. Really between Brown and Max as the utility back of choice on the bench. Which brings me to...

2. Should Brown stay on the bench?

Something that hasn't been talked about much was the way in which Brown kept his error count down and effectively wrapped up Ioane whenever he got the ball. It would be hugely unfair to drop him but I think that Robinson will.

3. Should Barclay stay at 8?

Oh lord god, I don't know. It's still like watching a granny with a mobile phone - completely wrong, but strangely fascinating. Maybe having JB on the pitch is actually the best option if we can't have Denton or Beattie. But will Edinburgh's favourite Fijian mash him?

4. Are we wrong about Strokosch?

Good lord, I always had him down as a perennial underachiever. He still is, on past performances. But I think that I would rather have him as chopper than Rob at present. Robinson will almost certainly keep him.

5. Who drops out of the wing slot?

McVisser and either Max or Joe for me. Cannot decide. Better post this now before I change my mind again.

So who are you going for and what will Robinson do?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland team vs Fiji Empty Re: Scotland team vs Fiji

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:28 am

Am hearing that ESPN may have the game live 3-5am next Saturday early morning OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Am hearing that ESPN may have the game live 3-5am next Saturday early morning OK

YES! Very Happy this will be 10pm - 12am for me in the States too - time for a curry or whatever they eat here.

As far as team selection, what was the exact team that played Aus? It has to be Visser straight swap for Lamont and no further changes. You could almost say the match was a confidence booster but really we learned nothing from it which is a shame for what could be considered a development tour (we're in tier 3 now whether we like it or not).

What a first cap for Visser - dutch man played in scotland for 3 years now flying that flag in sunny Fiji. Must be a dream (apart from the Scotland part)

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:04 am

My XXII:

Grant
Ford
Cross
Gray
Ryder
Strokosch
Barclay
Vernon

Blair
Laidlaw

Visser
Scott
Dunbar
Ansbro/Evans depending on injury

Hogg

S Lawson, Low, Kellock, Harley, Cusiter, Weir, T Brown

OK, some justifications. I've made more changes than most would probably like to see, and almost certainly more than Robinson will make. I think Fiji will be marginally the weaker of the two sides we still have to face, so this is the game for me where we try to give everyone in the tour a chance - cue cries of 'we need to win, fool'!! Quite right, we do, but I believe this side is more than capable of getting a result, and the bonus is that it will keep the whole tour squad together and NOT divided.

Front row - Gutted for Welsh that he is out, so Grant starts again after an excellent debut - Murray was exceptional by his normal standards in the loose, so I'd be looking for Cross to hold his own in the scrummage and do at least as much with ball in hand and at the breakdown. Lawson will come on at some point to relieve Ford, and with Low on the bench, he can either replace Cross directly, or replace Grant with Low at LH or Cross moving over to LH.

Locks - Gray and Ryder to start, having gone well for Glasgow at the back end of the season. Kellock on the bench to provide leadership if necessary.

Backrow - Giving Rennie a rest after a phenomenal tackling display, with Barclay taking the 7 jersey and giving Vernon a chance to see how he runs on the hard surfaces which in theory should suit his game. Harley to appear from the bench at some point in the 2nd half.

Halfbacks - Blair and Laidlaw as the combination to start to see if they can get this backline moving; Cusiter and Weir to come on for those to at some point in the second half.

Centres - I'd like to see how Scott and Dunbar go as a combination - that's not a reflection on NdL, he's not being dropped (even tho I wouldn't have played him in the first game vs Oz). Grove may be unlucky to miss out on game time, altho arguably a run at 12 or 13 versus the hard-running Samoans may suit his defensive game. Ansbro or Evans provide cover for OC.

Back three - First cap for MacVisser, with Hogg nailed on (could be tempted to give Brown a spin), plus Ansbro if his 48 stitches allow him to play, otherwise Evans, with Brown providing cover.

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Interesting test, this one; Fiji are maybe not at the top of their game, but at home, in the heat, they could pose a pretty stern challenge. To win I feel Scotland will have to keep it tight in the first half, frustrate the Fijians with a territorial kicking game using, what should be, our dominant set piece, and take it from there.

All that taken into consideration, I agree with ASBO. This Fijian team I don’t feel will be as much of a challenge as Samoa, therefore we should look to mix it up slightly (while retaining the core of the team), with a nod to the future. I know this is another must win, but I dont see any reason why this team couldnt do a job.

Grant
Ford
Murray
Gray
Ryder
Harley
Rennie
Vernon

Cusiter
Weir

Visser
Scott
De Luca
Ansbro
Hogg

Lawson, Low, Kellock, Barclay, Blair, Laidlaw, Brown

Front 5: Very strong scrummaging front 5, with the inclusion of Ryder adding even more grunt. After his form throughout the season I think he deserves a chance, Kellock to come back for Samoa.

Backrow: A big change here, considering how well the backrow all played, last time out, but I still don’t like Barclay at 8. Vernon would be no-where near the starting team usually, but he is the only alternative and the dry pitches should suit his game. Harley deserves a chance after a consistent season, will need to improve his ball carrying to stake a permanent claim

Halfbacks: Slightly controversial but I would start Weir, using his boot to pin them back in the first half, bring on the Edinburgh pair as the game opens up.

Centre: Keeping the same centre pairing, let’s see what this club duo can do at international level in the dry.

Back three: Visser, can he translate to the international arena? Hogg is a stick on and Ansbro is a very solid operator.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:30 pm

EST wrote:Interesting test, this one; Fiji are maybe not at the top of their game, but at home, in the heat, they could pose a pretty stern challenge. To win I feel Scotland will have to keep it tight in the first half, frustrate the Fijians with a territorial kicking game using, what should be, our dominant set piece, and take it from there.

All that taken into consideration, I agree with ASBO. This Fijian team I don’t feel will be as much of a challenge as Samoa, therefore we should look to mix it up slightly (while retaining the core of the team), with a nod to the future. I know this is another must win, but I dont see any reason why this team couldnt do a job.

Grant
Ford
Murray
Gray
Ryder
Harley
Rennie
Vernon

Cusiter
Weir

Visser
Scott
De Luca
Ansbro
Hogg

Lawson, Low, Kellock, Barclay, Blair, Laidlaw, Brown

Front 5: Very strong scrummaging front 5, with the inclusion of Ryder adding even more grunt. After his form throughout the season I think he deserves a chance, Kellock to come back for Samoa.

Backrow: A big change here, considering how well the backrow all played, last time out, but I still don’t like Barclay at 8. Vernon would be no-where near the starting team usually, but he is the only alternative and the dry pitches should suit his game. Harley deserves a chance after a consistent season, will need to improve his ball carrying to stake a permanent claim

Halfbacks: Slightly controversial but I would start Weir, using his boot to pin them back in the first half, bring on the Edinburgh pair as the game opens up.

Centre: Keeping the same centre pairing, let’s see what this club duo can do at international level in the dry.

Back three: Visser, can he translate to the international arena? Hogg is a stick on and Ansbro is a very solid operator.

EST, interesting selections there - for the gameplan that you propose, i would agree with your choice of halfback pairing.

However, much like my own XXII, far too many changes for Robinson!!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Really interesting selection this - it would be extremely harsh to drop any of the forwards, and Robinson is known for his loyalty, but this really is a chance to see what other players can do.

Barclay had one of his best games I've seen at 8, but the conditions are much more suited to Vernon as Barclay is a more defensive orientated player. Same can be said for Cross over Murray, but Murray seems to finally have his swagger back.

Max Evans is one of our most exciting backs but do you drop Ansbro or Tom Brown?

Visser will definitely be starting, and I think Lamont won't be involved (rightly so IMO.)

What I think he'll pick

1 Grant
2 Ford
3 Murray
4 Gray
5 Kellock
6 Strokosh
7 Rennie (definitely his kind of conditions)
8 Barclay
9 Blair
10 Laidlaw
11 Visser Yahoo
12 Scott
13 De Luca
14 Ansbro
15 Hogg

Subs Cross, Lawson, Ryder, Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

With us hopefully building a decent lead to allow Ryder, Brown and Weir at least 20 mins. Gonna be tough though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:57 pm

I'd like to see Barclay at 7 again to see if he can rekindle his old form. At his best he is world class and if he hits top form again its going to be an almighty battle between him and Rennie and also, Fusaro if he keeps up his form.

I'd like to see Dunbar involved in the 22 but I won't be too disappointed if he isn't. Also, I'd like Low to come in on the bench so we can munch them up front, I've never really rated Cross and the Glasgow front row have been really good this season. It's unfortunate that Welsh is injured, he might have started this one.

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch
7. Barclay
8. Vernon
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Evans
15. Hogg

16. Lawson
17. Low
18. Ryder
19. Harley/Rennie
20. Cusiter
21. Weir
22. Brown/Dunbar

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah, I cant see it happening in a million years. For me the best way to beat this lot is to frustrate and control the team, subding the fans. The Fijian team are going to be so fired up, given its in their own backyard..hence Weir dictating the play. Im sure that Laidlaw can do this aswell, he just doesnt seem to have the kicking distance to really punnish teams, if playing that way...... plus it would be a great learning experience for Dunc.

Looking at our choices at 8, it is very frustrating knowing we have a potentially world class one (Beattie) sitting at home.....

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:01 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:I'd like to see Barclay at 7 again to see if he can rekindle his old form. At his best he is world class and if he hits top form again its going to be an almighty battle between him and Rennie and also, Fusaro if he keeps up his form.

I'd like to see Dunbar involved in the 22 but I won't be too disappointed if he isn't. Also, I'd like Low to come in on the bench so we can munch them up front, I've never really rated Cross and the Glasgow front row have been really good this season. It's unfortunate that Welsh is injured, he might have started this one.

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch
7. Barclay
8. Vernon
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Evans
15. Hogg

16. Lawson
17. Low
18. Ryder
19. Harley/Rennie
20. Cusiter
21. Weir
22. Brown/Dunbar
Totally agree on Welsh, alexg - would probably have had him starting with Grant on the bench, both capable of doing a fine job imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:01 pm

EST wrote:Yeah, I cant see it happening in a million years. For me the best way to beat this lot is to frustrate and control the team, subding the fans. The Fijian team are going to be so fired up, given its in their own backyard..hence Weir dictating the play. Im sure that Laidlaw can do this aswell, he just doesnt seem to have the kicking distance to really punnish teams, if playing that way...... plus it would be a great learning experience for Dunc.

Looking at our choices at 8, it is very frustrating knowing we have a potentially world class one (Beattie) sitting at home.....
I didn't watch that much of the recent Baa-Baas games - how did he get on?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:08 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
EST wrote:Yeah, I cant see it happening in a million years. For me the best way to beat this lot is to frustrate and control the team, subding the fans. The Fijian team are going to be so fired up, given its in their own backyard..hence Weir dictating the play. Im sure that Laidlaw can do this aswell, he just doesnt seem to have the kicking distance to really punnish teams, if playing that way...... plus it would be a great learning experience for Dunc.

I didn't watch that much of the recent Baa-Baas games - how did he get on?

I have only seen the highlights of both games, but from what I saw, especially the Wales game, he had some really nice touches. Who knows what happened after his rushed return from injury over the last season, but here's hoping he gets back on track in France. Having Denton and Beattie fighting it out for the 8 position can only be a good thing.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:10 pm

I'll drink to that Ale

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:29 pm

1. Grant - Hugely impressed with his first performance; nice shove and showed some attacking ambition.
2. Ford - Captain, needs to sort out his lineout
3. Cross - I would have started Low, but I'm wary of playing a guy with just a week's preparation

4. Gray - We're simply not the same team when he's not starting. See Wales at Murrayfield last year.
5. Ryder - For me, even more than Visser, Ryder is my worry over replicating club form. No reason in particular, just that we're short of international-standard locks if he isn't able to make the step up.

6. Strokosch - We'll need another barnstorming performance, and I worry about starting Harley who I'd rather ease in to the 6 shirt over the next six months. No hurry.
7. Barclay - Excellent last week, and Rennie needs a rest. When you're not facing Pocock, and with Ryder starting, there's less need for a second fetcher.
8. Vernon - I'm a fan, and he hasn't been that bad for Sale. He has set up two tries for us in the last year, so I'm rather more forgiving than some! He seems to thrive in the dry, so now's his chance.

9. Blair - didn't do a lot wrong, though Cusiter was excellent. I'd start Blair and Laidlaw as an aid to Scott, De Luca and Visser. Time to tear it up.
10. Laidlaw - Balls of tungsten. Napoleon without the horse. Chuck Norris without the jeans.

12. Scott - Last week was nice and all, but this is a fair and honest chance to see if the Edinburgh midfield really is of an international standard.
13. De Luca - Ditto. He defended well last week, and made a nice break at the end, but this is the test we've been talking about.

11. Visser - Start him. Now. He probably won't live up to the hype, but he might at least score a try. I'm open to all possibilities, even the crazy ones.
14. Ansbro - As others have said, he rarely seems to waste possession, and he has a habit of tracking across and taking the scoring pass. Good defence last week.
15. Hogg - Seems to grow every game; I would be tempted to start Brown, but the Samoa game will be as good an opportunity as Fiji.

Subs:
Lawson - you can't deny that he has been playing well. Unfortunate for him that Ford's the captain.
Low - Save Murray for Samoa. Would have been Welsh, but for his injury.
Kellock - tackled brilliantly last week. Benched simply to give Ryder a shot, but I'd be all for keeping him on.
Harley - I'd start him against Samoa, where his defence will really be needed.
Cusiter - good at bringing some pace into the game when Blair tires.
Weir - He's our other stand-off. There's no way to control it, it's totally automatic.
Brown - I'm more impressed with his ability not to be fazed when thrust into a new and challenging situation. Evans hasn't done enough yet, and should get a shot against Samoa.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:36 pm

As an idea to what you'll face this was the team Fiji fielded in the first round of the Pacific Nations Cup (vs Japan, Fiji won).

1 Graham Dewes
2 Viliame Veikoso
3 Setefano Somoca
4 Apisai Naikatini
5 Leone Nakarawa
6 Iliesa Ratuva
7 Mala Ravulo
8 Netani Talei (C)
9 Nikola Matawalu
10 Setareki Koroilagilagi
11 Watisoni Votu
12 Isake Katonibau
13 Vereniki Goneva
14 Waisea Nayacalevu
15 Simeli Koniferedi
16 Seremaia Naureure (R)
17 Waisea Daveta Nailago (R)
18 Samu Bola (R)
19 Kelevi Ketedromo (R)
20 Kelemedi Bola (R)
21 Benedito Koroi (R)
22 Aloisio Butonidualevu (R)

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Who do all these guys play for? Apart from John Fiji himself of course....(Talei)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:02 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:As an idea to what you'll face this was the team Fiji fielded in the first round of the Pacific Nations Cup (vs Japan, Fiji won).

1 Graham Dewes
2 Viliame Veikoso
3 Setefano Somoca
4 Apisai Naikatini
5 Leone Nakarawa
6 Iliesa Ratuva
7 Mala Ravulo
8 Netani Talei (C)
9 Nikola Matawalu
10 Setareki Koroilagilagi
11 Watisoni Votu
12 Isake Katonibau
13 Vereniki Goneva
14 Waisea Nayacalevu
15 Simeli Koniferedi
16 Seremaia Naureure (R)
17 Waisea Daveta Nailago (R)
18 Samu Bola (R)
19 Kelevi Ketedromo (R)
20 Kelemedi Bola (R)
21 Benedito Koroi (R)
22 Aloisio Butonidualevu (R)
Former 7s captain, soon to be at Exeter Chiefs pending successful visa application Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm

IanBru wrote:
10. Laidlaw - Balls of tungsten. Napoleon without the horse. Chuck Norris without the jeans.
Laugh Classic, IanBru!

PS I thought it was Scott that made the break towards the end of the game rather than NDL? (more than happy to be corrected, just seeking clarification)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Think it was NDL.

There's some rumours on Twitter that ESPN are showing the game - anyone able to confirm?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:08 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Who do all these guys play for? Apart from John Fiji himself of course....(Talei)

For a minute there I thought there was a guy on their team called John Fiji Doh

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Ha! It was from when he first came to the club - we didn't really know who he was and what his name was so just called him John Fiji!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Think it was NDL.

There's some rumours on Twitter that ESPN are showing the game - anyone able to confirm?

Confirmed on the ESPN website under the tv schedule section. 3am to 5am.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Incidentally, did anyone else listen to the ABC radio coverage of the Oz game?

The commentator was having a high old time pronouncing the Scots' names -"Barclaaaaay" (like one would 'lay' an egg)
"Cooositer" (as in "highland cooo")
"Ansborough" (as in Erinsborogh, of 'Neighbors' fame)
"Kellog" (as in Special K)
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:33 pm

13 Vereniki Goneva

Soon to be a Leicester Tiger, if the visa etc all come through.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Dificult and interezsting choices to make.

On one had I think- no changes from last week, on the otehr I think some of these guys bneed to get a chance.

So to start
Forwards same bar - vernon at 8, barclay at 7, rennie gests a rest. Harley and welsh to come on at half time.

backs - visser in lamont gets a rest. half time cusiter and weir come on.

I want to see weir get some real game time - maybe even second ahlf move laidlaw to SH and weir at 10?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:51 pm

TJ wrote:I want to see weir get some real game time - maybe even second ahlf move laidlaw to SH and weir at 10?

If somehow we find ourselves in a strong position at half time, I think this would a good idea. The Laidlaw/Weir combination could be the to take us forward in the medium -long term.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 am

Evans, Vernon and MacVisser almost certain to get the nod according to the Hootsmon:

Andy Robinson poised to shake-up victorious Scotland team

By IAIN MORRISON

THERE must be a temptation to leave a winning side well alone but there many reasons for Andy Robinson to shake up the Scotland mix a little when the team for this weekend’s match against Fiji is announced around 6.30pm (UK time) tomorrow.

The first point is that one win in eight matches does not make this side Grand Slam contenders, not that anyone is arguing otherwise. That said, the difference a win has made to the self-belief in the young squad is palpable and they would be several pages ahead of where they currently are had it had arrived back in February against England.

Secondly, the giant Dutchman Tim Visser becomes available for selection and it will be a surprise if the top scorer in the league for the past three seasons doesn’t get the nod from the off.

Who makes way for him may depend upon who suffered the worst injury between Sean Lamont (ribs) and Joe Ansbro (cut eye). Neither man trained yesterday afternoon in the team’s first outing on the island, with Lamont restricted to a few lazy lopes around the pitch and Ansbro not even managing that much. Incidentally, Geoff Cross was deputising for Euan Murray, who was at the local kirk as is his wont on a Sunday.

The press were allowed to watch the squad go through their paces and it’s always instructive to see who brings that extra energy to practice. In that category Max Evans and Tom Brown put their hands up and both men would get the shout if Robinson picked his starting team on sheer enthusiasm alone. However, with Visser likely to fill his favoured left wing, and with Lamont/Ansbro both struggling to be ready, the coach is likely to opt for Evans’ experience over the Edinburgh player with just one cap to his name.

Evans has been on good form for Castres of late and he may be the last piece in the attacking jigsaw for Scotland. This looks close to the side that Robinson has been aiming at for some time now, although it’s worth noting that they showed absolutely nothing in attack against Australia – through no fault of their own. This is a team that is picked to attack with the ball in hand – provided, of course, that their big men can work up a head of steam and get onto the front foot.

With that in mind, Robinson may be tempted to draft Richie Vernon into the middle of the back row. Fiji have nothing like the expertise and experience at the breakdown that Australia were able to muster which is why he picked two specialist sevens in Newcastle. While it might be hard on John Barclay, who was as busy as anyone else on the night, Vernon offers a little more pace off the base of the scrum. If he doesn’t start, Vernon will surely get game time as Robinson must go to his bench more than twice (as he did against the Wallabies) if only to mitigate against the heat and humidity.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:12 am

Yeah I saw the title of that and expected genuine insider gossip but it looks pretty much like he's speculating to me! I also thought there might be wholesale changes judging by the title but he isn't really suggesting that many.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Yeah I saw the title of that and expected genuine insider gossip but it looks pretty much like he's speculating to me! I also thought there might be wholesale changes judging by the title but he isn't really suggesting that many.
True, but at least it sounds like he gleaned the information from attending a training session rather than pure guesswork!! Doesn't sound like any changes in the front 5, but will be interesting to see who is the prop sub on the bench as Wlesh was really the only one with decent-level and recent experience of covering both sides

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 am

Will definitely be Cross on the bench - Low is just back from holiday and won't be up to speed with training yet, and will be totally jetlagged!

Good to hear Tom Brown has got a really good attitude to training - Bradley says that a lot too and he'll do well if he keeps that up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 am

Apologies for my lack of input in this discussion but I can barely see due to my eye operation. For me I kind of hope AR keeps the sane team that played Oz but with Visser in for Lamont.

Did we lose a prop to injury or did I imagine that?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Apologies for my lack of input in this discussion but I can barely see due to my eye operation. For me I kind of hope AR keeps the sane team that played Oz but with Visser in for Lamont.

Did we lose a prop to injury or did I imagine that?
Radge, should we type in large print for you, matey?! What'd'ya have done? Hope it mends soon, bud

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 am

John Welsh has gone home injured - replaced by Low

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 am

Well it seems Vissie(small fish) is now at last going to become MacVissie.

Wonder it McDonald's ever were just Donald's?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:24 am

Yahoo
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:29 am

In wonder if Ansboro will be fit for the match after his 48 stitches!!!

I hope the Scotland team were watching the Wales game and took on board Cuthbert's supporting play when he scored his try.

If our players started doing that, we'd have scored a hell of a lot more tries than we have and possibly won a lot more matches.

I think we'll dipose of Fiji quite comfortably though.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:21 am

I see that the game is being repeated on ESPN at 2pm - have to say that is a lot more appealing than 3am!!

Wake up, find out the score is, then watch the game with out the usual stress you get watching Scotland!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I see that the game is being repeated on ESPN at 2pm - have to say that is a lot more appealing than 3am!!

Wake up, find out the score is, then watch the game with out the usual stress you get watching Scotland!
Lightweight! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:37 am

Just been on a stage doo to Newcastle - think I'll need at least a month to recover!

Plus the last time I watched a Scotland game that late was against Romania - and we all know how that turned out!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:42 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Just been on a stage doo to Newcastle - think I'll need at least a month to recover!

Plus the last time I watched a Scotland game that late was against Romania - and we all know how that turned out!
A (less than) convincing 4-try win?!?! Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 am

Have you guys though of this?

Perhaps in a not too distant future, there may be a scottish team running out with these names on the team sheet.

MacVisser
MacNel
Macwesthuizen.

Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:54 am

Would be quite happy with that if they'd shown that they deserve their places (like Visser has). What I don't like is them being parachuted in without merit (like Laney was, and Shingler almost was). If our two Saffers are great assets for Edinburgh over the next 3 years then I'd be more than happy for them to play for Scotland.

I really don't see what all the attention on Scotland doing it is all about - everyone else does it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 am

I know RDW, I am just teasing you lot. Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 am

Not sure why people are saying Rennie should be rested? Almost 2 weeks between the matches - I say put him in, I think we need his strength against the giants running at us

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:57 am

Wouldn't have expected anything else!

It is a fair point though that I hadn't considered too much until now. I think we're OK in the 2nd row department for the future but tighthead is a worry.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 am

Riskysports wrote:Not sure why people are saying Rennie should be rested? Almost 2 weeks between the matches - I say put him in, I think we need his strength against the giants running at us

+1

By the look of things on Twitter and the SRU website they are getting lots of rest days too.

32 tackles and none missed against Aus for Rennie - great shift! It's not so much his strength (he's not that big) but fantastic technique - he is incredible in the tackle area and often targets the ball instead of waiting til the man is tackled and tries to get it on the floor. He's a strong link man too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Would be quite happy with that if they'd shown that they deserve their places (like Visser has). What I don't like is them being parachuted in without merit (like Laney was, and Shingler almost was). If our two Saffers are great assets for Edinburgh over the next 3 years then I'd be more than happy for them to play for Scotland.

I really don't see what all the attention on Scotland doing it is all about - everyone else does it!
Shingler has a Scottish mother tho, so was qualified thru parentage?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:09 pm

I was meaning in terms of performances - if he had been picked over Laidlaw, Weir, Scott, De Luca, Dunbar etc I wouldn't have been happy because those guys have been playing well this year and Shingler would have just been picked to get him qualified.

He's been OK for London Irish but whenever I've seen him play or watched highlights he's never seemed anything special!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I was meaning in terms of performances - if he had been picked over Laidlaw, Weir, Scott, De Luca, Dunbar etc I wouldn't have been happy because those guys have been playing well this year and Shingler would have just been picked to get him qualified.

He's been OK for London Irish but whenever I've seen him play or watched highlights he's never seemed anything special!

Fixed that for u as in a Scotland shirt he has not

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Riskysports wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I was meaning in terms of performances - if he had been picked over Laidlaw, Weir, Scott, De Luca, Dunbar etc I wouldn't have been happy because those guys have been playing well this year and Shingler would have just been picked to get him qualified.

Fixed that for u as in a Scotland shirt he has not
I'm no great fan of NDL (mainly for his brain farts, partly for his inability to translate club form to international form), but if performances in a Scotland shirt are the qualification, then I've re-fixed it for you, Risky! Wink

Weir and Dunbar are uncapped, and Scott has two caps and hasn't "excelled" in either to be fair

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next