The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland team vs Fiji

+20
Manky-Flanker
bsando
Wi11
NeilyBroon
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
tigertattie
Biltong
RuggerRadge2611
TJ1
Scot Abroad
formerly known as Sam
IanBru
alexgmacdonald
RDW
EST
KickAndChase
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Scotland team vs Fiji - Page 4 Empty Scotland team vs Fiji

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:50 am

First topic message reminder :

Time for a new thread and to leave the victory in Oz behind. The lads travel on the weekend to Fiji and a week after that they will face Fiji in their own backyard. FIJI v SCOTLAND at Churchill Park, Lautoka, on Saturday 16 June 2012, with kick-off 3pm (local). Not sure this match is being televised anywhere unfortunately.

Altho Fiji seem to have regressed somewhat over the last few years from their 2007 RWC heights, this remains a massive potential banana skin for the Scots. Our performance in Australia in attrocious conditions that were a great leveller stands out for the supreme defensive effort, but in the dry, humid conditions of the islands, we'll need to show a wee bit more in attack.

Taking from the SH Tour thread, a few brave posters have ventured their opinions on team selection for this second fixture of the summer tour:

Captain_Sensible wrote:The performance against Oz has given us quite a few selectorial headaches (in a good way, for a change!)

Welsh or Grant?

I think Welsh deserves to build on his performance vs Italy, but Grant was just superb last night. It was great for Scotland to have a scrum that could be used as a weapon, for a change. I’d keep Grant as the starter, and Welsh on the bench. I’m sure Welsh will get a chance to play, as the games vs Samoa and Fiji will be played at a much faster pace and in higher temperatures of course. Happy for Murray to stay at TH as well, he should munch the Fijian scrum.

Harley or Strokosch?

Big Stroker made me eat my words yesterday – I didn’t think he should have been selected, but he was immense. Having said, I think the conditions suited his style of play, and he probably isn’t the right answer at 6 for the future. I really do think that Harley should get some game time, but that can maybe wait for the Samoa game. I’d be happy with either playing, though there is an argument for Harley to come on from the bench.

Visser or Lamont or Brown or Ansbro?

I think Ansbro should stay at wing – every time he gets the ball he does something decent with it, and he defends very well too. Matt Scott and NDL should be allowed to show off their form as a partnership at club level in conditions more conducive to running rugby, so I think the centre pairing is solid for the Fiji game. I think Visser should take the other wing slot, with Brown covering the back three from the bench. Perhaps harsh to drop Lamont entirely and keep Brown on the bench, but we’ve been waiting three years for Visser to tear teams apart – let’s see him do it asap!

So, team for Fiji would be

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch/Harley
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Harley/Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

and

allyt2k wrote:1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

Don't want to change the team to much, Sean sounds like he's taken a knock to the ribs so straight swap with Visser. Brown and Grant capped with Scott getting good game time at 12, priority of the bench would probably be weir and welsh but depends how the Fiji game goes and injuries.

Don't move Hogg to 13 he's really good where he is with him and Brown challenging each other for the 15 berth with Mr Glass as cover. Bring Dunbar through as 13 and Bennett needs to start making an impact France or he's gonna be forgotten about.

Agree that Laidlaw will probably move back to 9 in the next couple of seasons when Leonard gets more game time, so I would keep Jackson at 10 but give him a kick up the backside.

I see Max has arrived with the squad, I think it would be wrong to put him in the squad or on the bench in place of Brown, unless Ansbro is injuried after his hug with stroker then i cant see any reason for his inclusion, like Vernon he hasn't been on the best of form.

and
funnyExiledScot wrote:My team for Fiji:

1.Grant 2.Ford 3.Murray 4.Kellock 5.Gray 6.Strokosch 7.Rennie 8.Vernon 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.NDL 14.Ansbro 15.Hogg

16.S Lawson 17.Welsh 18.Ryder 19.Harley 20.Cusiter 21.Weir 22.Brown

Just two changes to Tuesday's side for me. Visser, because Lamont was injured plus hasn't been close to Visser's form all season, and Vernon, purely because I think this game will suit his abilities perfectly (and because I still see Barclay as a 7 rather than an 8, despite his awesome performance).

I'd like Welsh, Ryder and Harley all to get some time on the pitch in this game, assuming the match situation permits it.

and

George Carlin wrote:Agree Captain - Grant and Murray have to stay and I am starting to agree with Ferrie in the Herald today who said that Robinson has to realise Al Kellock's brain and his ability to keep talking to the ref and get him onside (something which Ford has not got a handle on yet) is worth the trade-off for not being as fat a knacker as Swingin' Jim Hamilton. I would also blurt out the following:

1. Should Max Evans replace Joe Ansbro?

I am a big fan of Ansbro - he never seems to waste a ball and runs very good lines. I hope that everyone has been on RugbyDump.com and seen Max's 60m run against Toulouse in the Top 14 semi-final, only for him to have a nutty when he got over the line and try to pass it back instead of wrestling it to the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhkwBYCJN8&feature=player_embedded

Impressive and yet not impressive. Really between Brown and Max as the utility back of choice on the bench. Which brings me to...

2. Should Brown stay on the bench?

Something that hasn't been talked about much was the way in which Brown kept his error count down and effectively wrapped up Ioane whenever he got the ball. It would be hugely unfair to drop him but I think that Robinson will.

3. Should Barclay stay at 8?

Oh lord god, I don't know. It's still like watching a granny with a mobile phone - completely wrong, but strangely fascinating. Maybe having JB on the pitch is actually the best option if we can't have Denton or Beattie. But will Edinburgh's favourite Fijian mash him?

4. Are we wrong about Strokosch?

Good lord, I always had him down as a perennial underachiever. He still is, on past performances. But I think that I would rather have him as chopper than Rob at present. Robinson will almost certainly keep him.

5. Who drops out of the wing slot?

McVisser and either Max or Joe for me. Cannot decide. Better post this now before I change my mind again.

So who are you going for and what will Robinson do?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland team vs Fiji - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland team vs Fiji

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

Sorry guys, yes I meant Harry. I've just realised that Alex Leonard was a fella at a place I used to work at. Doh

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4