The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland team vs Fiji

+20
Manky-Flanker
bsando
Wi11
NeilyBroon
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
tigertattie
Biltong
RuggerRadge2611
TJ1
Scot Abroad
formerly known as Sam
IanBru
alexgmacdonald
RDW
EST
KickAndChase
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland team vs Fiji - Page 2 Empty Scotland team vs Fiji

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:50 am

First topic message reminder :

Time for a new thread and to leave the victory in Oz behind. The lads travel on the weekend to Fiji and a week after that they will face Fiji in their own backyard. FIJI v SCOTLAND at Churchill Park, Lautoka, on Saturday 16 June 2012, with kick-off 3pm (local). Not sure this match is being televised anywhere unfortunately.

Altho Fiji seem to have regressed somewhat over the last few years from their 2007 RWC heights, this remains a massive potential banana skin for the Scots. Our performance in Australia in attrocious conditions that were a great leveller stands out for the supreme defensive effort, but in the dry, humid conditions of the islands, we'll need to show a wee bit more in attack.

Taking from the SH Tour thread, a few brave posters have ventured their opinions on team selection for this second fixture of the summer tour:

Captain_Sensible wrote:The performance against Oz has given us quite a few selectorial headaches (in a good way, for a change!)

Welsh or Grant?

I think Welsh deserves to build on his performance vs Italy, but Grant was just superb last night. It was great for Scotland to have a scrum that could be used as a weapon, for a change. I’d keep Grant as the starter, and Welsh on the bench. I’m sure Welsh will get a chance to play, as the games vs Samoa and Fiji will be played at a much faster pace and in higher temperatures of course. Happy for Murray to stay at TH as well, he should munch the Fijian scrum.

Harley or Strokosch?

Big Stroker made me eat my words yesterday – I didn’t think he should have been selected, but he was immense. Having said, I think the conditions suited his style of play, and he probably isn’t the right answer at 6 for the future. I really do think that Harley should get some game time, but that can maybe wait for the Samoa game. I’d be happy with either playing, though there is an argument for Harley to come on from the bench.

Visser or Lamont or Brown or Ansbro?

I think Ansbro should stay at wing – every time he gets the ball he does something decent with it, and he defends very well too. Matt Scott and NDL should be allowed to show off their form as a partnership at club level in conditions more conducive to running rugby, so I think the centre pairing is solid for the Fiji game. I think Visser should take the other wing slot, with Brown covering the back three from the bench. Perhaps harsh to drop Lamont entirely and keep Brown on the bench, but we’ve been waiting three years for Visser to tear teams apart – let’s see him do it asap!

So, team for Fiji would be

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch/Harley
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Harley/Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

and

allyt2k wrote:1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

Don't want to change the team to much, Sean sounds like he's taken a knock to the ribs so straight swap with Visser. Brown and Grant capped with Scott getting good game time at 12, priority of the bench would probably be weir and welsh but depends how the Fiji game goes and injuries.

Don't move Hogg to 13 he's really good where he is with him and Brown challenging each other for the 15 berth with Mr Glass as cover. Bring Dunbar through as 13 and Bennett needs to start making an impact France or he's gonna be forgotten about.

Agree that Laidlaw will probably move back to 9 in the next couple of seasons when Leonard gets more game time, so I would keep Jackson at 10 but give him a kick up the backside.

I see Max has arrived with the squad, I think it would be wrong to put him in the squad or on the bench in place of Brown, unless Ansbro is injuried after his hug with stroker then i cant see any reason for his inclusion, like Vernon he hasn't been on the best of form.

and
funnyExiledScot wrote:My team for Fiji:

1.Grant 2.Ford 3.Murray 4.Kellock 5.Gray 6.Strokosch 7.Rennie 8.Vernon 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.NDL 14.Ansbro 15.Hogg

16.S Lawson 17.Welsh 18.Ryder 19.Harley 20.Cusiter 21.Weir 22.Brown

Just two changes to Tuesday's side for me. Visser, because Lamont was injured plus hasn't been close to Visser's form all season, and Vernon, purely because I think this game will suit his abilities perfectly (and because I still see Barclay as a 7 rather than an 8, despite his awesome performance).

I'd like Welsh, Ryder and Harley all to get some time on the pitch in this game, assuming the match situation permits it.

and

George Carlin wrote:Agree Captain - Grant and Murray have to stay and I am starting to agree with Ferrie in the Herald today who said that Robinson has to realise Al Kellock's brain and his ability to keep talking to the ref and get him onside (something which Ford has not got a handle on yet) is worth the trade-off for not being as fat a knacker as Swingin' Jim Hamilton. I would also blurt out the following:

1. Should Max Evans replace Joe Ansbro?

I am a big fan of Ansbro - he never seems to waste a ball and runs very good lines. I hope that everyone has been on RugbyDump.com and seen Max's 60m run against Toulouse in the Top 14 semi-final, only for him to have a nutty when he got over the line and try to pass it back instead of wrestling it to the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhkwBYCJN8&feature=player_embedded

Impressive and yet not impressive. Really between Brown and Max as the utility back of choice on the bench. Which brings me to...

2. Should Brown stay on the bench?

Something that hasn't been talked about much was the way in which Brown kept his error count down and effectively wrapped up Ioane whenever he got the ball. It would be hugely unfair to drop him but I think that Robinson will.

3. Should Barclay stay at 8?

Oh lord god, I don't know. It's still like watching a granny with a mobile phone - completely wrong, but strangely fascinating. Maybe having JB on the pitch is actually the best option if we can't have Denton or Beattie. But will Edinburgh's favourite Fijian mash him?

4. Are we wrong about Strokosch?

Good lord, I always had him down as a perennial underachiever. He still is, on past performances. But I think that I would rather have him as chopper than Rob at present. Robinson will almost certainly keep him.

5. Who drops out of the wing slot?

McVisser and either Max or Joe for me. Cannot decide. Better post this now before I change my mind again.

So who are you going for and what will Robinson do?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland team vs Fiji - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland team vs Fiji

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:18 pm

Lets not get onto the De Luca debate eh?? Already got about 3 pages worth on the other thread!

ASBO is right though - on Scotland form purely alone none of those would be in with a shout, including Shingler!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I was meaning in terms of performances - if he had been picked over Laidlaw, Weir, Scott, De Luca, Dunbar etc I wouldn't have been happy because those guys have been playing well this year and Shingler would have just been picked to get him qualified.

He's been OK for London Irish but whenever I've seen him play or watched highlights he's never seemed anything special!

Fixed that for u as in a Scotland shirt he has not
I'm no great fan of NDL (mainly for his brain farts, partly for his inability to translate club form to international form), but if performances in a Scotland shirt are the qualification, then I've re-fixed it for you, Risky! Wink

Weir and Dunbar are uncapped, and Scott has two caps and hasn't "excelled" in either to be fair

Minor points - Weir is capped (and has 3 points!) and Scott hasn't "excelled" but has only played 20 mins against Ireland and a game in the pishing rain where he touched the ball twice or something!

It was more a general point though - Shingler has done nothing to suggest that he should be picked ahead of our Scottish club players, so if he had been picked to just get him capped I wouldn't have been happy.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:29 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Apologies for my lack of input in this discussion but I can barely see due to my eye operation. For me I kind of hope AR keeps the sane team that played Oz but with Visser in for Lamont.

Did we lose a prop to injury or did I imagine that?
Radge, should we type in large print for you, matey?! What'd'ya have done? Hope it mends soon, bud

Cheers ASBO that helps! Self inflicted laser eye surgery. Contact lens bandages off tomorrow. Happy days! The big type helps a lot too!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

Hope it goes well RR - was thinking of the zap myself, as am sure that contacts are the only thing stopping me being the worlds best rugby player

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:20 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Cheers ASBO that helps! Self inflicted laser eye surgery. Contact lens bandages off tomorrow. Happy days! The big type helps a lot too!
Good stuff Radge, I was thinking of having that done myself - walking into walls in the morning has got a bit monotonous! Hope it's not too painfull. All the best, chief.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm

This is a good way to talk about RR without him knowing about it - really who does he think he is Very Happy .

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Just been on a stage doo to Newcastle - think I'll need at least a month to recover!

Plus the last time I watched a Scotland game that late was against Romania - and we all know how that turned out!
A (less than) convincing 4-try win?!?! Whistle

I didn't think you watched that game ASBO?! Wasn't that the one where Vernon came off the bench and rescued us?? Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 11 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Just been on a stage doo to Newcastle - think I'll need at least a month to recover!

Plus the last time I watched a Scotland game that late was against Romania - and we all know how that turned out!
A (less than) convincing 4-try win?!?! Whistle

I didn't think you watched that game ASBO?! Wasn't that the one where Vernon came off the bench and rescued us?? Wink
fES, not sure you did if that's your recollection!! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Jun 2012, 2:09 pm

Eye laser surgery needed for all of us by the sounds of things Cool

On the resting players point, not at all necessary on this tour, thus my suggestion to keep the same team as Australia with the exception of Vernon and Visser.

Robinson shouldn't feel the need to ensure that everyone gets a game. Had we had a club mid-week game rescheduled then I'd have been advocating mass rotation for that, but as that game has gone, we're back to the priority of securing the win. Beat Fiji and Samoa and we'll have had a cracking tour. If we lose to Fiji it'll be a big step backwards after a hugely impressive result.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

Riskysports wrote:This is a good way to talk about RR without him knowing about it - really who does he think he is Very Happy .

Zoom function on smart phone works tho risky! laughing
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 11 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Eye laser surgery needed for all of us by the sounds of things Cool

On the resting players point, not at all necessary on this tour, thus my suggestion to keep the same team as Australia with the exception of Vernon and Visser.

Robinson shouldn't feel the need to ensure that everyone gets a game. Had we had a club mid-week game rescheduled then I'd have been advocating mass rotation for that, but as that game has gone, we're back to the priority of securing the win. Beat Fiji and Samoa and we'll have had a cracking tour. If we lose to Fiji it'll be a big step backwards after a hugely impressive result.
fES, very much agree that we should not be putting out a team unless it is one that we believe is capable of winning. But I also think that there is an argument for getting everyone at least some game time. A few players aside (Hamilton, Denton, K Brown, etc.) this is going to be our core group of international players for the next year or two imo, unless something spectacular happens - so I'd like to see squad spirit as high as it can be, all buying into the way we've decided to play the game, all believing each other capable of delivering on that too. So for me, it's not about resting players, it's about building something greater provided that we can be sure of putting a winning side out

PS I don't for one second imagine that is what Robinson will do - 3 changes at the most, more likely 2 OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Riskysports wrote:This is a good way to talk about RR without him knowing about it - really who does he think he is Very Happy .

Zoom function on smart phone works tho risky! laughing

Darn that technology thing

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

On Rennie - he has proved his worth and commanded hs position - but I would like to see barclay at 7 and Vernon at 8 so Rennie doesn't get dropped - he gets rested :-)

I do want to see wWeir get some meaningful game time - I believe Robinson dioes not trust him tho. I think he should get one of th 3 games or at least a half. So the Fiji game to me is the obvious one

Try a few other combos against Fiji either from the start or bench - then we know the best team for the 3rd game

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 11 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

Morrison the Pen has a well deserved reputation as the lackey biatch Smithers of Mr Andrew Robinson so I am assuming that he has had the team partially leaked to him as it always is.

From the reports I've read, Ansbro may well not make it thanks to his enthusiastic celebrations and I think that Robinson will have his decision made for him.

Robinson will just swap Schlong for Max at 14, stick His Mighty Timness at 11 and add Vernon on at the start, with Barclay on the bench. No way in the world now that we've started winning we should bench Rennie. Sheer frothing lunancy - the man is indispensible.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 11 Jun 2012, 4:10 pm

George Carlin wrote: No way in the world now that we've started winning we should bench Rennie. Sheer frothing lunancy - the man is indispensible.

Which will mean Mr AR will certainly do that

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 11 Jun 2012, 5:13 pm

George Carlin wrote:Morrison the Pen has a well deserved reputation as the lackey biatch Smithers of Mr Andrew Robinson so I am assuming that he has had the team partially leaked to him as it always is.

From the reports I've read, Ansbro may well not make it thanks to his enthusiastic celebrations and I think that Robinson will have his decision made for him.

Robinson will just swap Schlong for Max at 14, stick His Mighty Timness at 11 and add Vernon on at the start, with Barclay on the bench. No way in the world now that we've started winning we should bench Rennie. Sheer frothing lunancy - the man is indispensible.

+1 to that GC.

If we are a couple of scores ahead, he should bring Weir on and move Laidlaw to 9, just to see how they both get on. Undoubtedly, there may be 1 or 2 injuries after Saturday so it's best to find plan B's in time.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Jun 2012, 7:16 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Eye laser surgery needed for all of us by the sounds of things Cool

fES, very much agree that we should not be putting out a team unless it is one that we believe is capable of winning. But I also think that there is an argument for getting everyone at least some game time. A few players aside (Hamilton, Denton, K Brown, etc.) this is going to be our core group of international players for the next year or two imo, unless something spectacular happens - so I'd like to see squad spirit as high as it can be, all buying into the way we've decided to play the game, all believing each other capable of delivering on that too. So for me, it's not about resting players, it's about building something greater provided that we can be sure of putting a winning side out

PS I don't for one second imagine that is what Robinson will do - 3 changes at the most, more likely 2 OK

To be honest this is a rare occasion where I don't feel too strongly about the selection. Were AR to select Ryder in place of Kellock for example, or Harley in place of Stroksoch, I'd get over it pretty quickly. As you say, the key is that he does nothing to risk the final result. Sean Lamont at 12 would be a fine example.

I don't want the midfield tampered with as I think it's important for long term planning that Matt Scott gets every opportunity to play 12, and I think it's essential that Visser gets established on the wing over the next couple of games, but players like Harley and Ryder do actually deserve a shot at some stage. I thought both should play against Australia, even if Strokosch proved me wrong.

Cracking that it's on ESPN. Now to decide what to do about watching it. Might record it and watch at 6am. That way I can squeeze it in before I get to see Ireland stuffed again, Wales battle the Aussies and England have a crack at SA. My wife is going to be chuffed about this Saturday!! Ale

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 11 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

Agree with most of these posts as always. I'm always concerned about our backrows getting injured, but I really have a good feeling Beattie will be back firing well in France next season, and I hope Brown gets stuck in again at Sarries.

I don't think Robinson subbing Rennie would be the end of the world, Barclay's not doing too shabbily at the moment as I think he well knows his place is constantly under threat from many angles. I'd rather this than Rennie getting some horrific tendon injury which potentially ruins the start of his season and blights his chance of getting onto the Lions tour next year. Dry ground has as much hazard as frost ground so, don't wanna see any of our players go down really!

Would be good to see Scott's capabilities in these conditions, I think either way we're in for a cracking game of rugby that Fiji always provide! My prediction, Scotland to win by 2 points, maybe a score of something like 18-20 or 20-22.

Let's see some tries now!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 11 Jun 2012, 7:57 pm

(also with the heat, def going to need to use our bench 100% so that selection is just as important, but I think we have very good cover so I'm not worried)

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

This is a fascinating couple of games. I watched the Fiji - Samoa game on the irb website - it should still be up there and well worth a look. 7 tries between them, the first 5 of which all came from attacks from their own half.

Thoughts on that match:

- Both sides had, as you would expect, some fine natural runners and outrageous offloading. Plenty of breaks. Given the likely conditions, and the fact that Scotland have some good runners too, expect plenty of running and tired-out defences.

- Both are conspicuously poorer when trying to play tactical, european-style rugby. This is particularly true of kicking from hand.

- I have never seen a team drop the ball as much as Fiji. Hit them hard in the contact and it usually spills. Scotland should really target this, if it happens as often as it did against Samoa Fiji will struggle to get anywhere.

- Samoa are a bit smarter and more reliable. I see that as the harder game for Scotland.

One more point - the Islanders tend to be thought of as minnows. Yet when you consider their records in the context of rarely having home advantage, proper preparation or full availability it becomes clear that they are much better that people think. This time round they have home advantage and proper preparation, although sadly nothing like their best XVs starting. I don't think Scotland are clear favourites.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

From the BBC.....

The Edinburgh wing has been the top scorer in the RaboDirect Pro12 for three seasons running and is likely to start against Fiji, with the two wide men who began against Australia both sidelined.

Sean Lamont is still suffering from the rib injury that forced him out of that match just before half-time, while Joe Ansbro has a badly cut eye after a clash of heads with Al Strokosch during the post-match celebrations.

So it would be fairly safe to say that Visser and Evans will be starting on the wings. Don't mind that but both will have to be on their best defensive behaviour cos these Fijian boys can run.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Jun 2012, 9:04 am

It's a fair point about the defense - Sean and Ansbro are much better defenders than Visser and Max.

Visser especially infuriates me as he often leaves them too much space on the outside so by the time he finally tackles them they've made a load of ground.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 12 Jun 2012, 10:14 am

So Max is guaranteed for 14. now with ansbro out. Did anyone see Max Evans failed try for Castres in French final? bloody unlucky not to score but an excellent individual effort. I hope he can replicate some of that magic against fiji. However, I think the problem with max evans is he is very much a solo player and is not the best at off loading in the tackle or passing when he gets the ball, which can make him quite predictable. Ansbro to me seems to be more rugby smart, shame he's injured for fiji because I was really hoping he'd be picked again.

If I were AR i'd drop NDL for Dunbar. I think Dunbar is a better player from what I've seen of him for Glasgow. I would really like to see him getting a cap soon because I honestly think he has a lot of potential.

Therefore my team would be...

1.Grant 2.Ford 3.Murray 4.Kellock 5.Gray 6.Strokosch 7.Rennie 8.Barclay 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.Dunbar 14.Evans 15.Hogg

16.S Lawson 17.Cross 18.Ryder 19.Harley 20.Cusiter 21.Weir 22.Brown

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

One thing that I read on another forum which I thought was worth sharing - so much of the success of Edinburgh's backline relies on the go-forward ball that they get from their big, back-row ball-carriers (ie Talei and Denton), one of whom will be appearing for the opposition and the other of whom is injured. If that is the case (and I still consider that to be open to debate), where will that come from for Scotland? Gray in broken play, but he can't do it on his own and he can't do it from the scrum either. Any thoughts?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

I think that few people would argue that Ansbro is a more 'heads up' player than Evans. He certainly has better hands and probably better vision as his passing during the club season was always very good whereas running down blind alleys and being turned over became an unfortunate Evans Special Power as far as recent international form goes.

But then again Max was always 8ft of unfulfilled potential in a 4ft body as far as I was concerned.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 12 Jun 2012, 11:02 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:One thing that I read on another forum which I thought was worth sharing - so much of the success of Edinburgh's backline relies on the go-forward ball that they get from their big, back-row ball-carriers (ie Talei and Denton), one of whom will be appearing for the opposition and the other of whom is injured. If that is the case (and I still consider that to be open to debate), where will that come from for Scotland? Gray in broken play, but he can't do it on his own and he can't do it from the scrum either. Any thoughts?

We are definitely missing Denton, Brown and Beattie for the tour and they would have been good to have but Rennie is pretty darn capable of go forward ball and Barclay is also very good when at his best. I don't really think it'll be an issue agains Fiji and Samoa, nor do i think go forward ball carrying is the best option against either team as it'll be like taking on a brick wall. I think Scotland should be focusing on clearing out rucks quickly and performing well in the scrum and set piece. If we can do all three of these to perfection then that should ensure more than enough chances for the backs to score trys or for laidlaw to kick penalties.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 12 Jun 2012, 12:23 pm

Right back at work today and back to being able to comment properly instead of via smart phone.

First off, the loss of Ansbro if neccesary is a shame but Max Evans is a pretty good player to come in off the bat. I think I would rather Tam Brown kept the wing spot since he did everything that was asked of him when he came on for Lamont in the Ozzy game.

The forwards should stay as is. The Reverand Murray seems to have remembered that he is a beast of a man and can really do some damage at scrum time so long may that continue and Barclay has proven not to be a total disaster at 8, still I would be happier with Dents or Kelly B back in that slot, so don't get too comfy there Mr Barclay.

Half Backs Laidlaw showed balls of steel to kick that last penalty and he and Blair / Cusiter were part of a backline that had a lot of questions asked of it by the Ozzy defence and they came up with some pretty emphatic answers.

I was really happy with how we played against Austrialia in diabolical conditions and I think its only fair that the team is kept largely intact so we can see what that team can do in the dry.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Jun 2012, 1:09 pm

The issue of us lacking ball carriers was immediately flagged as soon as the squad was announced. The fact that both Denton and Beattie are missing is the real key here. Whoever plays 6 against Fiji will need to step up and be prepared to carry. Another reason I'd go for Vernon at 8 for this match. Little in it, but I think he's a better player ball in hand than Barclay, and given that this will likely be a pretty open an rangy game, having Vernon's additional pace will be handy. We all know that Talei will get around the park and look to carry as much as possible. We should encourage Vernon into a similar role and get him offloading in the tackle.

Interesting piece from Kellock on the Beeb. He emphasises what is no doubt party line, and that is not to get sucked into Fiji's playing style and preferred type of game. I can see the point, but whilst I hope our set piece has the upper hand, a fast and loose game may well suit Scotland. Our breakdown skills should be more technically accurate and enable us good turnover ball. We should not be afraid to go toe to toe and counter attack, provided we make sure we work the score board in the first quarter (something we were awful at against Australia).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Jun 2012, 1:15 pm

FES - I agree with this but haven't wanted to mention it until now.

I've thought it was strange for a while that the offical Scotland line for this match has been that we won't try to play Fiji "at their own game". The problem is that's, well, exactly the style of game that AR has been telling us he's been aiming for for 3 seasons now.

Confused? You will be. Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Jun 2012, 1:22 pm

There's no way we can win this by keeping it tight and kicking the points. No doubt AR is preaching discipline and keeping the defensive shape, and if that's what is meant by "not playing Fiji at their own game", then fine. But we should not be afraid to tap and go and look to exploit ill-discipline in their own defensive line. We need to be better at exploiting those sorts of opportunities and this is a great chance to work on that.

As for Max Evans starting, it could work quite well. Where I like Evans is when he's drifting off his wing in a sort of freelance role, deciding where and when to hit the line. It makes us less predictable and against a side like Fiji there may be more half gaps to slide into than against more structured and polished 6 Nations opposition. Where he needs to improve is what to do once he's fashioned an opening. His "all for one and more for me" approach to rugby can be unproductive and miss good opportunities.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 12 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote: Where he needs to improve is what to do once he's fashioned an opening. His "all for one and more for me" approach to rugby can be unproductive and miss good opportunities.

I can see why you say that, but more often than not there are few or no Scottish players running supporting lines when Max has a go. His teammates sometimes look just as puzzled and unsure as the opposition. Not saying he never holds on, just that sometimes he has little choice.

Watching the NZ v Ireland game last weekend, it was clear the kiwis ran expecting the ball carrier to make a linebreak. Whereas we tend to expect nothing more than a ruck and a reshuffle for the start of the next phase.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

The difference is though that the Kiwis plan it. Evans just goes off script and runs where he thinks there is space, regardless of whether that's a lateral direction and away from support.

As I said above, I prefer him roving off his wing and picking lines through the middle. That way he can jink into space and there should be bodies with him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm

I think the balance of effort lies with the support players rather than the player making the break tbh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 12 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

Lets hope those 'bodies' with him aren't all Fijians! Very Happy

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 12 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

Scotland's support play does have to improve. It doesnt matter if we have a great backline, if a player is isolated there is not a lot that can be done. I recently re-watched Scotland vs France in this year's 6N. Stuart Hogg made a number of fine breaks from full back but no matter how good he is he cannot beat every player. Some decent support on those breaks and they can be converted into tries.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 12 Jun 2012, 4:43 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:Scotland's support play does have to improve. It doesnt matter if we have a great backline, if a player is isolated there is not a lot that can be done. I recently re-watched Scotland vs France in this year's 6N. Stuart Hogg made a number of fine breaks from full back but no matter how good he is he cannot beat every player. Some decent support on those breaks and they can be converted into tries.

I used to go on and on about Scotland's lack of support for ages, but I think it has actually improved a lot with the introduction of laidlaw, Hogg and Jones. Hopefully it will just improve with the likes of Dunbar, Scott, Brown and Visser getting game time too.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 12 Jun 2012, 4:49 pm

I agree with the above statement, in previous years we've had plenty of breaks (especially from the back row) and no-one's been there in support. The backs weren't looking for tries. Visser is a wonderful example of a try opportunist as well as a powerhouse. Hogg is also good at taking advantage of situations and is sharp in support.

The reason Nick DeLuca is on the team is although he's unreliable at the best of times, more often than not, he's the one, certainly at club level, making breaks, but not only this, he's LOOKING for the offload, and he's generally pretty good in support. Its just a shame he can be quite the butterfingers, otherwise he'd be a very formidable player.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Jun 2012, 4:54 pm

V for Visser.

V for Victory.

Braveheart

(O for Overhyped? monkey)
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 12 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

Why are we rubbish at supporting breaks? Is it because we don't think that the ball carrier is actually good enough to make the initial break?!
I worry about Scott, though, as everyone expects great things from him. Did you see the Dragons game when he butchered a 2 to 0 overlap and he nearly did the same at the end of the HC semi. Let's not get carried away here
Greg Laidlaw at 9 may be an idea. Before the HC semi, Talei said that he covers Laidlaw defensively meaning that he knows that the Fijians will run right over him

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:26 pm

Teams been announced - same pack, visser and max starting!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:55 pm

Big Tam was speaking on the news just there about him getting the urine extracted for not knowing the words to flower of scotland!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

Heard that Geoff Cross deliberately told him the wrong words so he'd look an idiot singing it at the front of the bus - ledge!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:32 pm

Scotland team (sponsor RBS) to play Fiji at Churchill Park, Lautoka on Saturday 16 June, kick-off 2pm local time (3am BST)

15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) 5 caps, 1 try, 5 points

14 Max Evans (Castres) 28 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
13 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby) 34 caps, 1 try, 5 points
12 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) 2 caps
11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby) new cap. Scotland cap number 1032

10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 8 caps, 1 try, 2 conversions, 11 penalties, 42 points
9 Mike Blair (Edinburgh Rugby) 81 caps, 7 tries, 35 points

1 Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) 1 cap
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) CAPTAIN 59 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
3 Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons) 45 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
4 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors) 42 caps, 1 try, 5 points
5 Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) 22 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester) 26 caps, 1 try, 5 points
7 Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby) 17 caps
8 John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) 38 caps, 2 tries, 10 points

Substitutes (to be announced)

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa). Assistant referees: Ian Smith and Andrew Lees (both Australia).

Ah well, largely as expected - would have opted for a couple of changes in the pack myself, but no real complaints with that lot - wonder what the delay on subs is all about? More injuries?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:03 pm

Says he's waiting on Sean Lamont basically, plus there's been a stomach bug in the camp so maybe waiting to see how a few of them get on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

ASBO apparently there is an attack of the Brad Pitts going through the team (see what I did there? laughing ) and they will announce the bench ASAP. Barclay, Vernon and a few others are affected

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

Sorted, IYA - PM on its way to you re links

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

Message received and understood.
Where are you base these days,ASBO? I am on my way down to Londinium on the train at the mo bored out my skull as SkyGo doesn't work on the train's wi-fi

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:17 pm

Am in London this week - give us a shout if you fancy a beer tomorrow or Friday after work? Am in Amsterdam next week tho

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

MIght be able to do tomorrow but my rendition journey home is at 6 on Friday evening so cant do then. Sorry

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:50 pm

Give us a shout when you know what your plans are tomorrow then OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next