The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Killer Bs

+11
RuggerRadge2611
RDW
George Carlin
InjuredYetAgain
alexgmacdonald
gowales
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
Taylorman
jeffwinger
15 posters

Go down

The Killer Bs Empty The Killer Bs

Post by 123456789 Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:30 am

On many of the Lions related topics when people are talking about backrow options often not one of the "Killer Bs" is mentioned, this would have been simply inconcievable back in 2010 in fact none of them are certain for positions in the Scotland team yet in 2010 I read in a paper that Barclay should be the Lion's captain. Could anyone have predicted such a dramatic fall from grace. Will we ever see them at their best again and if we do will they be Scotland's first choice, let alone Lions contenders, when they face competition from Denton, Rennie and Strockosch and further pressure from the young Glasgow trio: Wilson, Fusaro and Harley (who could end up being something similar). Is their fall a result of not playing with each other regularly in fact when was the last time they all played together? The way they complemented each other was remarkable, could it be the case that they (with the exception of Brown who's done very well since then) can only play effectively when they're with each other and that individually Beattie and Barclay aren't that good but the unit allows them to focus on their strong points?

Back to top Go down

The Killer Bs Empty Re: The Killer Bs

Post by jeffwinger Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 am

Take it as a positive that the contenders have developed so much that there is competition and depth. That a world class player/unit is no longer assured of his/its place is great. Just shows how good all the options are now.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:49 am

The (hopefully temporary) decline of Beattie and Barclay cannot be denied.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am

Geez and I thought AucklandLaurie was giving an update on the new signings to the Blues side... Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Brown is an exceptional player. Having joined Sarries he took up where he left off with Glasgow. He reads the game increidibly well and his work rate and tackle count are great, a true pro.

Barclay looks like he has found it hard to a rise to the challenge of Chris Fusaro at Glasgow. The wee man's work at the breakdown has been chosen over Barclay's more complete game play. Will be interesting to see if he wrests the 7 shirt back next season, or will Townsend simply give it back to the more senior player? Will be interesting to see what happens.

Beattie has simply not found his former form since return from shoulder surgery last January. Much like Barclay he has struggled to cope with the emergence of an excellent young player in the shape of Ryan Wilson.

The interview he gave to the Beeb recently sounds like he is a slightly bitter at how things turned out this season, but he left his girl friend, during her lunch breaks, to organise all the arrangements for accomodation, travel etc in Montpellier. He hasnt even bothered taking any French lessons, relying on his school French to see him right!

So far, so uninspiring. His competition for the 8 shirt is no easier than at Glasgow with Alex Tulu, a kiwi, as the current encumbent. He scored a great try in Montpellier's defeat to Castres in the Top 14 play off's. So I think it will be either make or break for Beattie this season. He may flourish but I also think he is almost as likely to sink without a trace in the Top 14.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:13 am

I'm not that surprised. The key to the Killer B's was that they were a great combination. Tackler, fetcher and carrier. When they broke up the decline in form was swift.

Barclay by his own admission got jaded basically having to play every Glasgow and Scotland game in the run to the World Cup, then got rusty being left out and told to focus entirely on what was an awful WC campaign. The emergence of both Fusaro and Rennie will ultimately be good for Barclay I think. More time for him to just focus on his game. Signs against Australia that he's back to his best.

Beattie fell out with Lineen and was ultimately neglected in favour of a decent, but not as talented player. The frustration was evident. In my view the move to France will do wonders for Beattie, and he'll provide a stern challenge to Denton, who with Basilia and Talei will face some stern challenges of his own next season.

Brown is the most improved of the three since they split. He's added strong carrying and lineout work to his game and is now a pretty complete and very consistent 6. He's never going to be a star draw, but every team needs a consistent work horse and he's the perfect foil in my view for Rennie or Barclay at 7 and Denton or Beattie at 8.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:34 am

If Beattie does take the 8 shirt, that would be some back row with 6 Ouedraogo - 7 Gorgodze - 8 Beattie

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 am

I think its just a testament to the current players coming through, Fusaro looks in his game play very similar to Rennie. Quick, strong and a great knack of turning the ball over and I think he has the potential of being just as good.

On the Barclay issue, I think he has been left behind to a certain extent. With this batch of "super 7's" coming through (Pocock, Rennie, Tipuric etc) who are very quick and excellent at the breakdown, he's starting to look like he's stuck in between a 6 and a 7 without really having the qualities of either.

I like John Barclay, I think he is a great player that is a bit low on confidence and out of form. Many thought that he was a candidate for the Scotland captaincy until recently. So, if he and Fusaro hit top form for Glasgow and Rennie keeps up his form, there is going to be an almighty battle for the 7 jersey with all 3 potentially top class players.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:42 am

Currently the best 7s in the world are Pocock, Warburton, McCawc and Rennie. At his 2010 best could Barclay compete with them? Probably but I think he will only reach that standard if coaches stop trying to shoehorn him into the back row although next year he'll struggle to get into the Glasgow side, they seem to have quality players in each position.
6. MacDonald and Harley
7. Barclay and Fusaro
8. That Tongan guy and Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:08 am

The Killer B's are finished, I think. Beattie isn't right in the head and will go the same way as Simon Taylor - a player who never lived up to their potential. McInally will overtake him soon assuming he gets some game time at Edinburgh

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Of the original KBs, only Brown remains the strongest in his position.

Denton has blossomed into an international quality player over the past 18 months and McInally has shown every indication of following.

As a fan, it's wonderful to see this level of competition and if you'd told me two years ago that we'd seriously be suggesting players as young as Harley and Fozzy for full cap call-ups, I would have struggled to believe you.

On Beattie, I have no problem with him believing that his talents were not being recognised at Glasgow although the truth is that he just wasn't the form player in the shirt. I absolutely agree that if he doesn't push back at Montpellier, he (a) will sink without trace as an international player and (b) whilst unlucky with the injury, will only have himself to blame. I hope he will be back. Anyone who didn't see his blind floated feed to his outside man for the Barbarians should go to RugbyDump.com and check it out.

Class is indeed permanent. But form sure as sh!t helps.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Beattie also had a good run off a free kick/penalty tap where he boshed Dowson unconscious!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 pm

I loved the killer B's, but I do think there time as a unit is passed. Brown and Barclay still have a lot to offer but Beattie will have to come on leaps and bounds in France if he is to get anywhere near selection. I really hope he does - can you imagine Denton and Beattie competing??

I'd say our best back row is

6 Brown
7 Rennie
8 Denton

And I'm sure most people would agree. What name could we give them?? BRD doesn't have the same ring to it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Notorious B-R-D?

picard
Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I almost have a good mind to complain about that comment because it was such a terrible joke.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm already considering a lifetime ban.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Laugh

I laughed.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm already considering a lifetime ban.
Harsh, but probably fair. tomato
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Dear God GC!

warning

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:32 am

I...I've been having problems keeping the standards up recently. Cry

Q. Where did Saddam Hussein keep his CDs?
A. In Iraq.

See?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:42 am

tomato Booooooo tomato Hisssssssss rubbish! tomato Get Off the stage! tomato
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:55 am

GC, we are simply not worthy of your sense of humour Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:35 am

Here's one for your files GC

What is brown and sticky?

A Stick

I will get my coat Run

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 am

censored
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:58 am

I think they were overrated and stood ut in a poor Scotland team that rarely delivered. Beattie in particular.

The players they have in now are better, simple as that.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 am

At his best Beattie was the most talented no.8, although his tendency to flicker in and out of games is a constant unfortunately in 2010 he was more in than out however it seems to be the opposite now. Although Denton is quality I'd say that Beattie is more talented and more skilful but if I was picking a side I'd choose Denton over Beattie for consistency and work rate, if we had all our players fit, on form and available I'd pick:
1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Brown
7. Barclay/ Rennie (both are world class at their best and who's picked would depend on the opposition, Fusaro isn't far behind in my opinion)
8. Denton
9. Blair
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Dunbar
14. Jones
15. Hogg
16. Welsh
17. MacArthur
18. Cross
19. Kellock