The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiji vs Scotland - Second Summer Test - Teams and Live match thread

+30
HERSH
maestegmafia
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
NeilyBroon
Wi11
Gibson
Pal Joey
IanBru
monty junior
GLove39
bsando
justified sinner
123skelm
Biltong
TJ1
RuggerRadge2611
Tattie Scones RRN
nickj
R!skysports
Dorothy_Mantooth
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
KickAndChase
propdavid_london
George Carlin
hugehandoff
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
34 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Fiji vs Scotland - Second Summer Test - Teams and Live match thread - Page 9 Empty Fiji vs Scotland - Second Summer Test - Teams and Live match thread

Post by RDW Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fiji vs Scotland - Second Summer Test - Teams and Live match thread

Fiji v Scotland

Churchill Park, Lautoko, Fiji
June 16: Kick off: 3.00am (BST)

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Ian Smith, Andrew Lees (both Australia)

Weather: 25 degrees and sunny (although was p!ssing down earlier in the week): http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2204506?day=2

FIJI:

15 Isimeli Koniferedi
14 Waisea Nayacalevu
13 Wereniki Goneva
12 Aloisio Buto
11 Watisoni Votu
10 Jonetai Ralulu
9 Nikola Matawalu
8 Netani Talei (c)
7 Malakai Ravulo
6 Iliese Ratuva
5 Leone Nakarawa
4 Apisai Naikatini
3 Setefano Somoca
2 Viliame Veikoso
1 Jeremaia Yanuyanutawa.

Replacements:
16 Tuatpati Talemaitoga
17 Waisea Daveta/Graham Dewes
18 Josefa Domolailai
9 Kelepi Ketedromo
20 Nemia Kenatale
21 Kameli Ratuvou
22 Metuisela Talebula.

SCOTLAND:

15 Stuart Hogg
14 Max Evans
13 Nick De Luca
12 Matt Scott
11 Tim Visser
10 Greig Laidlaw
9 Mike Blair

1 Ryan Grant
2 Ross Ford
3 Euan Murray
4 Alastair Kellock
5 Richie Gray
6 Alasdair Strokosch
7 Ross Rennie
8 John Barclay

Replacements:
16 Scott Lawson
17 Geoff Cross
18 Tom Ryder
19 Richie Vernon
20 Chris Cusiter
21 Duncan Weir
22 Sean Lamont

Last 6 Results:

Fiji

Wales - Fiji 66-0
Fiji - Samoa 7-27
South Africa - Fiji 49-3
Fiji - Namibia 49-25
New Zealand - Fiji 60-14
Italy - Fiji 24-16

Scotland

6-9 Australia - Scotland
13-6 Italy - Scotland
32-14 Ireland - Scotland
17-23 Scotland - France
27-13 Wales - Scotland
6-13 Scotland - England

Build up threads:
https://www.606v2.com/t30529-scotland-team-vs-fiji

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Fiji vs Scotland - Second Summer Test - Teams and Live match thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Fiji vs Scotland - Second Summer Test - Teams and Live match thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Yeah, where is 21st? Did he get the hump after everyone had a go about his endless ranting.
Yes, I suspect he did Sad Which is kind of sad, cos (i) you didn't have to read it, (ii) you knew what was coming, & (iii) it made I larf!! Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Fiji vs Scotland - Second Summer Test - Teams and Live match thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Fiji vs Scotland - Second Summer Test - Teams and Live match thread

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:38 am

I quite liked schiz, he wore his heart on his sleeve and was clearly passionate about rugger, he just really didn't like AR. His opinions were strong and we all kind of agreed, but he just didn't know when to walk away from the keyboard!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 am

Yeah, we all admired his passion, but my sympathy wore a bit thin when he berated fellow supporters for not agreeing with his Robbophobia.

Still, we probably shouldn't worry - he'll be sitting in his living room, nursing a dram, and clutching a short, balding voodoo doll.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:02 am

I'd rather 20m 21st's than half the Welsh posters on here. Have you read some if the guff they're coming out with today?

Come back 21st mate. We miss you!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:31 am

Anybody got a link to watch a recording of the game online? I watched the other three games but missed this game. Good luck in the next game as it could be a good test if they have their full team out, Scotland must keep their heads to make it three games on the trot (in more ways than one!).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:57 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Yeah, where is 21st? Did he get the hump after everyone had a go about his endless ranting.
Yes, I suspect he did Sad Which is kind of sad, cos (i) you didn't have to read it, (ii) you knew what was coming, & (iii) it made I larf!! Laugh

+100 should we make a search party thread?? I loved it.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:34 pm

We should pm him and ask him to cone back - then he'll get an email about it!

Glamorganalun - no recording but there'll hopefully be highlights

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:21 pm

What are the De Luca haters thoughts on his performance? The Scotmsan this morning rates it as his best in a Scotland top, and I think it wasn't far off.

Visser credits his tries to De Luca, and he made a genuine game-changing tackle when Fiji were rampant and De Luca dumped the guy back on his erse and stole the ball. He took some big hits from the Fijians too!

Great performance De Luca!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:25 pm

That was a great hit from de Luca near the end there when Fiji were making a raid down the sideline. It effectively put a full-stop on their ambitions to try and steal an upset win in the dying stages. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:54 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:20 am

Full Match Yahoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdqMc261qII

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:43 am

Sweeeet.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:10 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:What are the De Luca haters thoughts on his performance? The Scotmsan this morning rates it as his best in a Scotland top, and I think it wasn't far off.

Visser credits his tries to De Luca, and he made a genuine game-changing tackle when Fiji were rampant and De Luca dumped the guy back on his erse and stole the ball. He took some big hits from the Fijians too!

Great performance De Luca!

It was a good performance. Hopefully a few on here can now munch some humble pie cake

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:34 am

Woah, think you lads are being extremely generous - as an attacking display, that was a B+ from me, nothing more, and absolutely nothing there to convince me that NdL is the second coming! His tackle and steal of the ball were excellent (as I noted at the time), but then he had a rush of brain to the head and kicked the ball away aimlessly for no apparent reason. That illustrates perfectly for me the issues that I have with NdL - a player that seems capable of some very decent stuff, but then from time2time just loses the plot. So I'll not be joining the worshipping party just yet - still plenty of time to all Bennett up from the beach so we can see a decent 13 Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:59 am

I've only ever seen him do that tackle and run a few meters, As. Wink
Worship this: guinness

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:09 am

Linebreaker wrote:I've only ever seen him do that tackle and run a few meters, As. Wink
Worship this: guinness
Now we're talking, breaker! Back at ye: Ale

I'm wondering if the NDL response is either (i) phew, he didn't have a brain fart, he must have played brilliantly, or (ii) he's been questioned (not slammed as some would care to believe) by many supporters, and now that he's had a decent game we mus talk him up. The simple truth is that he has done quite well so far on the summer tour, but I've seen nothing to pen him in as the new messiah! Wink

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:43 am

Thanks for the link to the game - Shame ESPN seem to have wind up cameras -

What a terrible attempt at recording a match

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:42 pm

I was watching the full Scotland v Australia match again (FULL GAME posted on RugbyDump.com incidentally) and it has to be said that what got us in the field position for the last minute collapsed scrum and penalty was a 15m break by De Luca which was supported by Scott.

I enjoy making fun of him as much as the next person but when Visser is interviewed and says that NDL not only supplies him with great ball but covers his backside in defence, we have no reason to believe that this isn't the truth.

Even if De Luca is not the first choice at 13, the point is I think that he and Scott are definitely our first choice centre combination.

I watched Bennett play for Ayr for most of a season and whilst he has huge promise, he needs to be playing regularly for Clermont before we can even start to make a judgment. He has played well enough in the U20 JWC but Scotland haven't been winning. Compare that to the Irish U20's who have now beaten both England and South Africa in this tournament.

Then again, I enjoy a bit of hyperbole and bombast too. I think that a great, great grandparent may be Welsh... censored
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 am

I said it was a "good performance" from NDL, not a great one. I also agree that he should share the same mark with Laidlaw, who was also good.

Scott a notch down. Poor knock-on taking his eye of the ball, and he didn't contribute the same key decisive moments that we had from Laidlaw and NDL.

I think I'm being pretty fair here, much as I'd have loved NDL to score 5 tries (5 assists to Vernon), obliterate the Fijians and cause all other 13's playing the international game to retire immediately.

Let's leave Bennett alone for now. I'm concerned the absorbant wings on his nappies will make him easier to tackle.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:56 am

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:27 am

Where do you guys think Ansbro ranks in your centre reckoning?

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:28 am

2nd choice 13 IMO. He's also being considered on the wing

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:05 am

I like him on the Wing, but 2nd at 13 for the moment.

Ansbro is a really versatile player and that versatility may be a weakness.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:06 am

He's pretty handy on the wing, but having seen him play a fair bit of both for Saints & Irish, centre is definitely his best position. I thought he was going to make the Scottish shirt his own before his injuries and now NdL's stock seems to be rising.

With Visser now on the scene, starting on the wing is a bit more unlikely short of injuries isn't it? A more than decent bench option though.

It'll be interesting what happens at Irish next season as they've got a fair few centres and not many wings.

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 am

alcoombe wrote:He's pretty handy on the wing, but having seen him play a fair bit of both for Saints & Irish, centre is definitely his best position. I thought he was going to make the Scottish shirt his own before his injuries and now NdL's stock seems to be rising.

With Visser now on the scene, starting on the wing is a bit more unlikely short of injuries isn't it? A more than decent bench option though.

It'll be interesting what happens at Irish next season as they've got a fair few centres and not many wings.

I always thought Ansbro looked better on the wing when he was still at Northampton. Maybe that was because the way they played relied on having Downey and Clarke in the centres. I wasn't aware Thompstone had signed for the Tigers so I think wing would be a sensible option for Ansbro, rather than continuing with him at 12, as I think Joseph will be starting substantially more games for them at 13.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 am

My opionion is that although he can be effective on the wing he doesn't have the most nuanced play there and 13 allows him to bring in more of the abilities he has.

Irish have got a couple of options at 12 now, Geraghty & Shingler are the creative selections and I think they're lining up this Samoan league convert Sa as their power option (6'3", 16st3lbs). Joseph is the golden boy at 13, but I can see them opting for Ansbro there depending on who plays 12. Yeah, with Thompstone gone they're down to Ojo, Tagicakibau (seemingly perpetually injured) & Yarde on the wings, with Homer at FB. Anthony Watson looks a cracking player at wing & FB, but he's barely turned 18.

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:31 am

I agree that Ansbro is going to face tough competition to get rugby at Irish next season. With Joseph the outstanding player at 13, Ansbro will either have to play 12 or wing, but Irish probably have better options there.

He'd be a good fit at Glasgow if he could be tempted back.

In the Scotland reckoning I think he's behind NDL, but it's close. He's a good bench option though, as he covers 12, 13 and wing.

What tips it in NDL's favour currently is his combination with Scott and Visser. It's compelling to try and move a proven club combination into the international arena. We've had no chemistry or combination in midfield since 1999, so it's certainly worth giving the Edinburgh midfield an extended chance. They've been ok so far, and shown the odd glimpse of real promise (Visser's first try was nicely done).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 am

I agree FES ... and when's the last time we could say we saw a glimpse of real promise in the backline?

Hogg disallowed try v Wales was another. We're beginning to get those sweeping broken field moves into the international scene and playing nothing like the Scotland of our recent reputation ...

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 am

Agree with both the above posts. We have to try and get some consistency into our backline then consider changes. For too long we've said X has had a bad game drop him. All of the guys from 10 to 13 work as a unit and are good let's see what happens then consider changes and additions.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:05 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I agree that Ansbro is going to face tough competition to get rugby at Irish next season. With Joseph the outstanding player at 13, Ansbro will either have to play 12 or wing, but Irish probably have better options there.

He'd be a good fit at Glasgow if he could be tempted back.

I would love to see him team up with Dunbar because that's where we're still missing a bit of talent at Scotstoun. I suspect that Joe might struggle to get a wing place with DTH being nailed on and either His Schlongness or our new favourite foetus Master Paris potentially looking good for the other.

Young Bruce Dick from Melrose will also be challenging for a centre slot and as has been often talked about, we may even see Jackson at 12 with the Meatball at 10.

Don't want Joe warming a bench anywhere though - too much talent, we need him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:11 pm

Ansbro to Glasgow would be an incredible signing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9