The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your thoughts on the new trump course?

+24
JAS
George1507
SmithersJones
Doon the Water
mystiroakey
twoeightnine
Diggers
shudofhita4iron
dynamark
Shotrock
Fader
Sand
Dave The Jackal
barragan
Skydriver
Slowride
Eyetoldyouso
incontinentia
Conehead
EmmDee57
navyblueshorts
SpacemanSpiff
super_realist
McLaren
28 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What are your thoughts on the new trump course? - Page 2 Empty What are your thoughts on the new trump course?

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Jul 2012, 11:37 am

First topic message reminder :

So trump has officially opened his new course on the menie estate and among the first players to tee off were Monty and Paul Lawrie. It is sad to see that Paul lawrie makes another decision which only someone unable to comprehend a wider world could make. For Monty, associating with the obtuse just seems normal and unfortunately he seems comfortable with this.

Lawrie skips the US open and then fails to realise what a terrible raping of the land he is condoning. He can help all the young Scottish folks in the world but it does not seem to help him to expand his mind.

There is no doubt I will get the usual backlash from those who see environmentalists as over sensitive or only repeating what the guardian told us to. But I would hope everyone, regardless of whether you think destroying an sssi is ok, can see that a great fraud has been committed against the people of Aberdeen and the country as a whole in the building of this course. The levels of corruption needed to gain planning permission for this course are just unacceptable and the government should never be held to ransom by one individual businessman.

Why any pro golfer would want to be seen standing by trump is a mystery, well it is not really; they no doubt had their wallets sufficiently stuffed. You would just hope they had a bit more integrity.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts on the new trump course? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are your thoughts on the new trump course?

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2012, 5:57 pm

Diggers wrote:A green agenda designed by who......oh yes, them. Gives you a bit of room for manouvere Id say.

I think you'll find that procedure is pretty much administered by the green lobby. , environmental and splliage incident plans have to be available to the public and are pretty much poured over by the likes of the scum at greenpeace etc who will barrack your company until it is at a point that they deem acceptable.

These are the people who really ensure certain standards are reached.

Anyway almost everything we do or use is reliant on oil, so let's not get hypocritical about things. We couldn't function as we currently do without it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts on the new trump course? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are your thoughts on the new trump course?

Post by twoeightnine Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:19 pm

Bottom line is that the course is there now so lets talk about that. I read the article with Hawtree in Golf Illustrated last quarter and I have to say that it sounds fantastic. I am sure that most courses sound best with the architect telling you the subtleties but he weaves a great yarn.

Sounds like it follows the land as they have laid it out and it isn't full of elevated tees but the landscape slowly reveals itself as you go round. Lots of options for tees depending on wind and ability and a fair amount of strategy.

That its been laid out by a bloke who's office looks like an old shed is even more appealing.

I instinctively don't like Trump as he is far too showy but I think that he is smart enough to know that this is not the place for pink marble and gold (Trump Tower, NY anyone) as that is not the market. I expect it to be pretty impressive. Not sure when I would get to play it but expect that over the next few years it will start to become somewhere that I will feel I want to make the effort.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

course looks decent, but untill i play it i dont know, its just a golf course though- what the heck is the big deal??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:59 pm

How many people despite their objections would turn down a free round?

This course could turn aberdeenshire round from being the poor relation to a first choice location for golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jul 2012, 7:23 pm

This thread made me remember Obama tacking trump and the other tea party types down a peg or two;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

Best speech ever from a politician?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2012, 7:43 pm

Mac, you strike me as the type of person who probably has a top ten of politicians speeches written down somewhere Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 11 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

Mac that was funny, Obama has just gone up a couple of notches in my book.

No 1 spech by a politician has to be Geoffrey Howe to Maggie, Maggie, Maggie.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2012, 9:25 pm

Surprised Mac's favourite speech doesn't involve Arthur Scargill.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 11 Jul 2012, 9:44 pm

McLaren wrote:This thread made me remember Obama tacking trump and the other tea party types down a peg or two;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

Best speech ever from a politician?
Laugh Laugh Oh, that's good. Not sure His High Egoness enjoyed being messed with though. Liked Obama since he first appeared; clever, charismatic, broad outlook etc etc. Certainly, following Dubya, he's off the scale intellectually in comparison.

S_R

You do go on about Mac's supposed lefist leanings. Have you got a first edition Mein Kampf anywhere? Whistle
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2012, 9:48 pm

Wish I did navy, be worth a fortune by now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:39 pm

Go to about 22 minutes to hear lawrie's views on the course

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01kjt8j/5_live_Sport_5_live_Golf_11_07_2012/

If you continue to listen it is mentioned that only the back nine is built on the SSSI and there was the possibility of building an 18 hole course away from the dune site. Which is pretty much what all the classic links courses do.

Super - you will be gutted to hear the ecomentalist that talks on the show is actually very reasonable.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:56 pm

Seems to me like Trump wanted to own a course where a major would one day be held. He couldn't buy Pine Valley so bought the course next door, and now he's built a links course in an attempt to host the Open. He could have built a less controversial, more run of the mill complex but that wouldn't have had the slightest hope of hosting the big one. I personally doubt the R&A will countenance the idea but it is pretty much the only explanation for the site.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:31 am

McLaren wrote:Go to about 22 minutes to hear lawrie's views on the course

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01kjt8j/5_live_Sport_5_live_Golf_11_07_2012/

If you continue to listen it is mentioned that only the back nine is built on the SSSI and there was the possibility of building an 18 hole course away from the dune site. Which is pretty much what all the classic links courses do.

Super - you will be gutted to hear the ecomentalist that talks on the show is actually very reasonable.

Mac, when the "classic" links were made many years ago, certainly the ones on the eastern coast of Scotland the position of most of them was actually much much closer to the coast, in effect building on and in the dunes. (You trying to tell me the 12th TOC isn't right on the dunes?)
Parts of The Old Course for example would pretty much have been right next to the sea in various sections, such as the second, third, fourth and fifth.
That area in particular of the St.Andrews coast agrades (grows outwards towards the sea, reclaiming land in effect) and new dunes actually grow towards the sea, meaning that the dunes on which the Old Course was laid out are actually further away than they originally were when the course was first constructed.

There is a good chance depending on the sediment cycle of the coast around Trumps course that it will do the same and fore and embryo dune will develop and mature leading in time to a wide margin (as happened at St.Andrews) protecting the exposed areas of the coast.
It only appears now that St.Andrews was laid away from the coast, because the coast has grown outwards.
Even in my own lifetime of living near, I've seen the massive changes, From the ninth tee on the Jubilee there has probably been an agradation and maturation of the dunes right at the point with 20-30 new metres of dune right on the east side, the northern side has suffered some erosion, but nothing serious.

However, if you'd ever worked in Engineering of course you'd know most sand dune systems are mobile and subject to erosion and agradation and that due to the age of the classic links, much agradation will have take place on the east coast as I'm sure you know the net sediment gain of that part of the coast meaning that a great deal of change has happened around them, in some cases giving the impression that they were built away from the coast, where in fact the coast has grown around the course areas.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:45 am

Super

I have never seen a picture of a links where so many of the holes run between such steep sided dunes as they do on trumps. whether the dunes have been artificially enhanced or not i have no evidence to suggest courses of the past were routed in this manner.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:52 am

Mac, they were extreme dunes to begin with, much more extreme than I've seen elsewhere. I don't think much earthworks have been done to enhance what was already there from what I remember pre construction.

You can't compare this to an old "classic" links because although it's links the site is very different, however both this and TOC have been built on the same maturation stage of the dune system, so in effect Trump hasn't done anything different, so in 400 years time, it could well appear far more inland too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:01 am

been hearing aboiut this trump course alot- and yet one thing i dont know is what it is called?????

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:02 am

Trump should have had a lot more appreciation of nature and the science of preserving it, and the importance of this. Sadly in old tom/Robertson’s time it was not universally accepted that the land was not created by god. Oh wait.......
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:05 am

Apparently Paul Lawrie didn't play on the Trump course.

Whether it was, as reported, really because of weather difficulties, or some other reason we may never find out.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

Ok Mc what are the enviormomental affects of this course- sorry to sound abit ignorant on it, i havent really read to much on it- it is only a golf course to us down in the south, we havent heard much else other than trump is making some top course- but will wildlife and rare plants be sacrificed, or is it just this extreme dune system that has been altered beyond recognition

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

Lawrie has walked the course but hasnt played it as it wasnt opened and couldnt manage Tuesday due to the weather. I presume he will play it in the next few weeks when hes back home.

Its called the Trump International Golf Links, Mystiroakey.

Booked me and 5 mates on yesterday for the 29th of July. Counting down the days if im honest, looks just the ticket.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:16 am

trump international- omg what a guy!!!

how much did you pay?

I need to organize a Work golf trip- I might just consider it!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:18 am

Would have been great if he has called it Trumpton.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:33 am

I tell you what Mac, I'll buy you a round so that you can actually give a balanced view seeing as you've only seen pictures and read enviro-MENTALIST hyperbole.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

Diggers wrote:Would have been great if he has called it Trumpton.

Or Camber-WIG Green Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:04 pm

super_realist wrote:

Or Camber-WIG Green Laugh

Or...HegetsonMacswick Green ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:21 pm

OK super, book the tee time then. But don’t be surprised if I boycott a few of the holes and go tend to some homeless birds. You win them obviously but I still fancy my chances against you.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 12 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm

super_realist wrote:I tell you what Mac, I'll buy you a round so that you can actually give a balanced view seeing as you've only seen pictures and read enviro-MENTALIST hyperbole.

Sleepover ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 12 Jul 2012, 1:46 pm

McLaren wrote:OK super, book the tee time then. But don’t be surprised if I boycott a few of the holes and go tend to some homeless birds. You win them obviously but I still fancy my chances against you.

isnt that what you normally do on a friday night when your feeling horny?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave The Jackal Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:54 pm

George1507 wrote:Apparently Paul Lawrie didn't play on the Trump course.

Whether it was, as reported, really because of weather difficulties, or some other reason we may never find out.

George ... Simple explanation for his non-appearance. Lawrie was up at Skibo on Monday for a pro-am for his Foundation. Was to helicopter down on Tues morning, but the weather (visibility) was too bad. Too far away to get there on time any other way.

PS - Amazingly, a guy I know had the first ever hole in one on Trump yesterday. Didn't take long!

Dave The Jackal

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:57 pm

Laugh laughing Now that would have been superb. Why did no-one suggest it to the man???? Surely there was a chance of pulling it off?!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:59 pm

super_realist wrote:Or Camber-WIG Green Laugh
Laugh clap That's pretty good as well but I'm not convinced he wouldn't have spotted that one...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:21 pm

He could have called it Toupérary. Laugh

It's certainly a 'long way' to get there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:32 pm

Super

PM me about the round at trumpton, we can arrange some dates.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:35 pm

Mac, I was kidding, you've more chance of curling one off in the queens handbag than me shelling out £200 for you to turn your nose up at a masterpiece and miss out holes.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:42 pm

I promise to play all the holes.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:46 pm

So Mac the morales go out the window when you dont have to pay yourself. ermmmm

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 6:04 pm

Mac, with a bit of luck I won't be in Aberdeen too much longer as I hate it, but I may yet offer you a concession on The Castle next year and you can see what a splendid course it is.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 12 Jul 2012, 6:38 pm

Backing out SR.. go on book it up- give him a round!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:12 pm

super, I always suspected you were full o shight.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:30 pm

Surely a wealthy economist like you mac can afford it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

Sadly not super. I was actually very excited by your offer for many reasons so I am sad to hear it was not genuine.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:43 pm

Well £200 is a bit steep to splash out on a stranger, people might start calling it a first date, and then there would we be?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:45 pm

So why make the offer, only to then dash my hopes?

A rather cruel ruse you pulled there super.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

Only a simpleton would have thought it genuine. When did you last treat a stranger to 200 quid?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:47 pm

I have never had £200, so it is a mute question.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:52 pm

What about all those trips to the states and rounds on TOC? What do you treat your bird with if you have no cash.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

I had a trust fund which has now run dry.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:01 pm

awww poor Mac- go on SR sort the lad out

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 12 Jul 2012, 10:41 pm

McLaren wrote:I have never had £200, so it is a mute question.

A moot point perhaps?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm

Navy

I noticed that but couldn't be arsed to change it.

Mysti

it is my own fault really as I choose not to work, as I do not want to work in a capitalist system. So I just have to live of the dole.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next