The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down.

+16
BoxingFan88
hampo17
The Galveston Giant
ShahenshahG
davidemore
manos de piedra
RANDY77
alanqlm
mobilemaster8
azania
TopHat24/7
John Bloody Wayne
sittingringside
6oldenbhoy
Rowley
School Project
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down. Empty Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down.

Post by School Project Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:09 pm

News from the weigh in...

Adrien Broner weighs in 3.5lbs over the limit, tells everyone he wont strip the weight in his designated 2 hours. Escobedos manager rightly threatens to pull out of the fight, yet the WBO have other interests.

Even if Broner doesn't attempt to make the weight, they'll still allow the fight to continue.

WBO President Valcarcel states that Broner will be stripped, more interestingly: "If Escobedo wins, then he becomes the champion. If Broner wins, then he will become No. 1 at 135 pounds and become the mandatory for Ricky Burns."

Broner obviously hasn't made the effort, which in my opinion is VERY unprofessional. Yet there's no accountability, the fight will be allowed to continue!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down. Empty Re: Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down.

Post by Rowley Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:14 pm

Surely in such a case the correct procedure would be to ask Escobedo if he wished to proceed and if he says yes, then and only then does the fight continue, agree with him still winning the tlte should he win but your thread suggests he has little choice whether he fights a guy who has not made the weight, if that is the case it is shameful.

Not sure him being installed as Burns' mandatory sits well with me either (of Warren I would guess) realise money and star power talks but as you have alluded to where is the punbishment for not making weight or getting even close to doing so.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down. Empty Re: Adrien Broner - Comes in 3.5lbs over... refuses to boil down.

Post by School Project Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:27 pm

Escobedo seems silent on the situation, but they've not long had the weigh in so I'll have to wait until interviews to judge the situation.

All I know is that it's completely obsured a professional AND a champion refuses to make weight...

They've just agreed that they will fight based on the weigh in tomorrow. Neither fighter can come in over 140lbs.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

I think it's a case of the WBO not wanting to lose a potential star to another governing body. The way Escobedo has been treated is truly shameful, can't wait to hear what excuses Golden Boy make to protect him, whilst sacificing Escobedo.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:39 pm

Could this be a worrying sign for Broner? The guy is freakishly talented, but this smacks of a lack of dedication, and that has brought down many fighters even more talented than Broner.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

Good shout Ringside...

There's an air surrounding Broner that reminds me a little of Naz. "I'm invincible, I can cut corners"... One day he may find himself against his own Barrerra.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:48 pm

I find it hard to get excited about guys like Broner (and Rios/Chavez jr) because for all their talents, how can they be rated so highly when they never seem to fight a guy in their own weight class?

Regardless of the weigh in, they're obviously so much bigger on fight night. Broner I feel has the skill to win anyway, at least.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 11:30 pm

Thinks he's (the next) Floyd so follows in his footsteps. Difference is Floyd was already p4p #1 by the time he took this attitude.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

Perhaps he simply cannot make the weight. You guys think losing the extra pounds is simple, but when you are boiling down to make that weight there simply could not be more to lose.

He should go up to 135. He would still be strong at 140 given his size.

But if he is made the #1 contender for Burns (assuming he gets past his next defense) watch Ricky suddenly struggle to make weight and move up.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

I think he both camps have a stipulation that Broner can not weight more than 140lbs this morning.

Agree with mose on here though, Broner needs to sort his attitude out. He is a very talented boxer, but is far from being P4P number 1 at the moment.

Also agree with AZ, it could be a case of he has outgrown the weight.

Never the less, should be a decent scrap later on!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:21 pm

Think this just makes it a no lose situation for Escebedo, he gets 10% of Broners purse that extra £30,000 will probably be about an extra 30-40% on Escebedo's paycheck.... Add to that it gives him a ready made excuse for losing (if he does) which probably would of happened either way.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:37 pm

What is the weather forecast for this fight tonight??

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm

3.5 lbs is alot to miss the limit by. He should have moved up ages ago if thats the best he can manage now.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

Typical of what is wrong with boxing. Utterly typical.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:28 pm

Have him arrested a put on trial for incest

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

I hate Broner and the bumhole who combs his hair, very talented but very annoying. Not been following the build up but agree his attitude stinks but he also may have outgrown the weight and realised mid training it wasn't happening. Interesting becoming Rickys mandatory, i hope Warren makes the fight happen in Britain and doesn't shy away from it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 5:27 pm

It's been called off after Broner weighed in over 140lbs today.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jul 2012, 5:33 pm

Thought it might so took the back up fights serious.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

Broner should be fined 100% of his purse with the proceeds covering Escobedos expected purse. What a schmuck.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 7:26 pm

Apparently the fight is off.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm

Dan Rafael just announced on twitter that the fight is going to happen...

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:14 am

The fight is happening but he has given up A LOT of his purse. Reports in the States are that Escobedo is getting $400,000 for this now. He was originally going to get $150,000!!!

Broner weighed in at 148lbs compared to Esco @ 140lbs at 1900 UK time yesterday (21/7/2012)

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:15 am

18lbs above the fight weight limit? That's ridiculous and very dangerous for his opponent.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:18 am

azania wrote:18lbs above the fight weight limit? That's ridiculous and very dangerous for his opponent.

Tell me about it. Escobedo weighed in at 130lbs on the weigh in, 135 in the morning and now weighs 140lbs (last report). Probably hydrate another couple of lbs.

Broner on the other hand has jumped from 133.5lbs on weigh in to 143lbs in the morning then to 148lbs!! So he may come in ABOVE 150lbs?!?

Unreal that this fight is going ahead.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:21 am

Esco should just take a dive. F up the whole show.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 22 Jul 2012, 3:56 am

This is a joke... At least Chavez Jr MAKES the weight (depite the dubious circumstances of doing it). How a guy can go ahead and say some of the things he's said is disgusting...

"I ain't talking about the fight, but I will see you tonight. I'm going to beat his ass" - Yeah of course mate, coming in at around 150lbs for a Junior Lightweight Fight.

So he's been stripped, so what. How many times will this happen in the future? It makes a mockery of himself, his opponent and the sport.

He's made no effort out of the ring, obtained a number of advantages inside the ring and I just hopeone day he'll meet someone who teaches him a lesson in sportsmanship.

Snide little fool.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 22 Jul 2012, 4:30 am

School Project wrote:This is a joke... At least Chavez Jr MAKES the weight (depite the dubious circumstances of doing it). How a guy can go ahead and say some of the things he's said is disgusting...

"I ain't talking about the fight, but I will see you tonight. I'm going to beat his ass" - Yeah of course mate, coming in at around 150lbs for a Junior Lightweight Fight.

So he's been stripped, so what. How many times will this happen in the future? It makes a mockery of himself, his opponent and the sport.

He's made no effort out of the ring, obtained a number of advantages inside the ring and I just hopeone day he'll meet someone who teaches him a lesson in sportsmanship.

Snide little fool.

Said it on the other thread, I think he has simply outgrown the SFW Division. Whilst he has obtained advantages (Not that it looked as though it made a jot of difference) I don't expect it to happen again and again as I assume he will be moving up.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 22 Jul 2012, 4:34 am

Rios vs. Broner?

Best Middleweight fight this year if it happens.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 22 Jul 2012, 4:49 am

School Project wrote:Rios vs. Broner?

Don't forget, although there are guys like Rios who rehydrate to higher levels than most there opponents will be putting the pounds on themselves, not to the same extent, but why wouldn't Chavez Jr. Etc. do it if they have an advantage on there opponents? They can physically do it with there bodies, so why shouldn't they?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 22 Jul 2012, 1:03 pm

Chavez Jr is well within his rights to boil down to 160 and come in heavier, he makes weight. However, the fact that Broner has essentially not even tried to make weight, in the knowledge that the cost of the promotion and other pressures would drive the fight through anyway is a mockery of the rules.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

It defeats the whole purpose of weight classes when you have men fighting in the same division but come fight night are divisions apart.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

There should be a limit which guys are allowed to rehydrate to.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 22 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

azania wrote:There should be a limit which guys are allowed to rehydrate to.

I think this idea has some mileage actually. Would also improve safety as bigger men would be less tempted to drain down to silly weights, thus reducing the chances of a fighter being completely drained on fight night and therefore more susceptible to long term damage from a heavy knock out.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 2:50 pm

Khan rehydrated to 148 and Garcia to 150. I reckon a fighter rehydrating should not be permitted to go higher that the weight class above. In essense Khan and Garcia were coming in at the LMW division. Totally wrong. Makes a mockery of weight classes.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 22 Jul 2012, 7:43 pm

clap Best post I've read in a while.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 22 Jul 2012, 9:33 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:

clap Best post I've read in a while.

I always aim to please JBW Wink

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm

Everyone has the opportunity to drain, therefore, it is a level playing field... is it not?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:46 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Everyone has the opportunity to drain, therefore, it is a level playing field... is it not?

Think he was given the opportunity, just refused and gave up some of his purse instead...

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:46 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Everyone has the opportunity to drain, therefore, it is a level playing field... is it not?

No

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:46 pm

Why not ask Wlad to fight at LHW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:48 pm

Because he's 250lb?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:48 pm

A lot of it comes down to physiology though MM, you can have two 160lb fighters who can drain to differing degrees which can make things a very un level playing field. To put into context and using the most extreme case I can think of, last night Broner weighed more come fight night for a 130lb title fight than Mayweather did for a 154lb title fight. So in that sense you have two fighters of similar stature competing 5 divisions apart, that in my opinion is very wrong.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm

Unless fighters are made to weigh on in the day of the fight, this problem will not go away tho?

Some fighters who are able to dehydrate to more extreme levels than others will gain a weight 'advantage' come fight night.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:09 pm

Yeah i suppose you are right, but the way i see it, dehydrating is just part of the game. Everyone one does it, its just that some do it better than others.
For a time, I boxed at welter, walked around at 76kg, trained down to 70kg and drained the remaining 3kg. I was tall at the weight (5ft 11" ..and a half) with big long arms, but at times I was left struglling with stamina, so much so, that during my last bout at welter I was put on my @rse through exhaustion. The guys that are natural at the weight can fight all night at a high pace.
What I'm trying to say is that, from my experience, there are both advantages and disadvantages to draining.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:12 pm

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to see natural welterweights fighting at the weight instead of boiled down middleweights and super middleweights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Because he's 250lb?

So?

Too many thing cutting the extra pound is easy. Why not an extra 2-3 or more pounds? Why not 7? And so on.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm

I forgot to mention for an amateur club show the only time you weigh in is the night of the fight, therefore, the stamina issue caused by dehydrating is a little more pronounced! And the issues of becoming dangerously dehydrated over three or four rounds is obiously much less than if you are boxing 12.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm

Exactly, I think the based way forward would be weigh in the day prior to the fight, then a weigh in on the morning of the fight where only a predetermined amount of weight can be gained.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:15 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:A lot of it comes down to physiology though MM, you can have two 160lb fighters who can drain to differing degrees which can make things a very un level playing field. To put into context and using the most extreme case I can think of, last night Broner weighed more come fight night for a 130lb title fight than Mayweather did for a 154lb title fight. So in that sense you have two fighters of similar stature competing 5 divisions apart, that in my opinion is very wrong.

Absolutely. Make them weigh in again and stipulate that they cannot weigh in more than a division higher. A 140 fighter cannot be allowed to fight at a weight above 147.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm

You end up with so many undeserving world champions who get to the top solely because of their ability to boil down, Margarito and Clottey being two examples that jump at me straight away.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next