The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guide to London for visitors

+15
Galted
Sugar Boy Sweetie
mystiroakey
reckoner
propdavid_london
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
TM Moot
Thomond
PenfroPete
Fists of Fury
sodhat
Hero
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
TopHat24/7
ChequeredJersey
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Guide to London for visitors Empty Guide to London for visitors

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:27 am

Edit - KRD - made this one a global in the lead up to the Olympics
With the Olympics nearly upon us, I thought it'd be nice to compose a guide for those visiting London written by 606 members in London. If everyone joining this thread from the big Smoke could give examples of the following, we'll get a great guide very quickly:

1) your favourite London Landmark
2) your secret bargain eatery
3) your favourite drinking spot
4) your favourite leisurely London activity
5) the best nearby place/activity outside of London
6) your tip for where tonwatch sport (live or on tv) in London
7) your favourite local dish
8) your favourite London musician/venue/ club/ music-y thing
9) your favourite beverage and where to get it (if different to 3)
10) anything I've missed Wink

I'll add mine later today but let's help visitors to the biggest sporting stage!

Last edited by Adam D on Sun 29 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Globalled thread)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Guide to London for visitors Empty Re: Guide to London for visitors

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:06 am

1) River Thames.
2) The stalls at Camden Lock Market. Or Vrisakis in Wood Green for the most authentic Greek food in London.
3) Maddison @ One New Change if it's sunny.
4) Hire a Boris Bike and go explore. Take advantage of world class museums and art galleries for free (Tate Modern, Natural History and Imperial War being my favourites).
5) Walking or mountain bike riding in Epping Forrest.
6) Any Walkabout. For less raucous and slightly tucked away try Bonds on Dering St (just off Oxford St, linking to Hanover Sqr). Grand Union in Clapham/Brixton. The Junction at Highbury & Islington corner.
7) Mezze at Vrisaki or goat curry from Camden Lock. Or steak from Hawksmoor.
8) Roundhouse for music. Hoxton/Shoreditch for nights out.
9) Anything anywhere.
10) Top tip: WALK! Tube stations are hot, stuffy, over-crowded and more often than not much closer together than people realise. Piccaddilly Circus-Leicester Square-Covent Garden being the most pertinent examples. Never tube between these, walk and soak up the vibrancy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:10 am

- Tower of London takes some beating

- my best bargains are way out in the 'burbs. But most of Chinatown's pretty cheap (Leicester Square). I had a phenomenally good, cheap meal at the Chinese restaurant across the road and a couple of hundred yards riverwards of Twickenham Station a few weeks back. Both Palms of Goa in Fitzrovia are worth a look - Charlotte St in general in WC1 has lots of choice

- Don't go anywhere near a Walkabout Wink. The Porterhouse in Covent Garden is a big pub with a massive beer selection, just don't eat there.
The Wheat Sheaf in Ealing has a good shilled vibe
- Sadly London doesn't have all that many beer gardens. So if the sun's out do what the locals do, and head a local park to sunbathe. Put up some cold ones at an off-licence on the way and you're set.
- Take a trip out to The Royal Standard of England, Forty Green, Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, HP9 1XT. One of the oldest pubs in England, good beers, great food, fantastic on a nice day.
6) your tip for where to watch sport (live or on tv) in London
- The aforementioned Wheat Sheaf in Ealing
- The Sports Bar attached to New Zealand House in Haymarket, Picadilly has pretty good TV watching, though as far as beer does you'd better like Guinness or Corona.
7) your favourite "local" dish
- Head to Brick Lane for a curry. Also, GBK (Gourmet Burger Kitchen) is an NZer-founded burger chain that has made an artform of the humble hamburger.
- some of the buskers in Tube stations are worth a stop-and-listen, they have to audition for a licence so there is some standard-setting
I'm a big fan of Spitfire Kentish Ale, hard to find in pubs but it's available in bottles in a lot of supermarkets/off-licences
10) anything I've missed
Stay off the tube (or any mode of transport) in rush hour (7.30-9.30am, 5.00-7.00pm, or, on the Central Line, pretty much any time between 5pm and midnight if travelling away from the centre (it's OK coming into town)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:1) River Thames.
2) The stalls at Camden Lock Market. Or Vrisakis in Wood Green for the most authentic Greek food in London.
4) Hire a Boris Bike and go explore. Take advantage of world class museums and art galleries for free (Tate Modern, Natural History and Imperial War being my favourites).
6) Any Walkabout. For less raucous and slightly tucked away try Bonds on Dering St (just off Oxford St, linking to Hanover Sqr). Grand Union in Clapham/Brixton. The Junction at Highbury & Islington corner.
9) Anything anywhere.
10) Top tip: WALK! Tube stations are hot, stuffy, over-crowded and more often than not much closer together than people realise. Piccaddilly Circus-Leicester Square-Covent Garden being the most pertinent examples. Never tube between these, walk and soak up the vibrancy.

Nice call on the Junction in Highbury - it was closed last week for renovations, but is supposed to be back up again. The Roundhouse has been largely closed down for its summer break this month, but is back open this weekend.

And +1 on the walking thing.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

I'm in London tomorrow on a course so may well try some of these recommendations! Cheers! OK

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:24 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
9) Anything anywhere.

Nice call on the Junction in Highbury - it was closed last week for renovations, but is supposed to be back up again. The Roundhouse has been largely closed down for its summer break this month, but is back open this weekend.

Lol any real Londoner knows the walking thing. Always shake my head when I get on the tube and some gets on at Bond Street and off at Oxford Circus (or vice-versa). Not only is it more unpleasant, but it's not even quicker!

Always reminds me of one of my favourite London phrases - real Londoners don't walk on Oxford St, they only cross it. Love it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:26 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:

- Sadly London doesn't have all that many beer gardens. So if the sun's out do what the locals do, and head a local park to sunbathe. Put up some cold ones at an off-licence on the way and you're set.

Endinboro Castle in Camden is a gem though.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:28 am

Hero wrote:I'm in London tomorrow on a course so may well try some of these recommendations! Cheers! OK

Let me know if you're after anything specific and I'll try come up with a few recommendations.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
9) Anything anywhere.

Lol any real Londoner knows the walking thing. Always shake my head when I get on the tube and some gets on at Bond Street and off at Oxford Circus (or vice-versa). Not only is it more unpleasant, but it's not even quicker!

Always reminds me of one of my favourite London phrases - real Londoners don't walk on Oxford St, they only cross it. Love it.

To be honest about the only time I'm ever above ground on Oxford St is waiting for a Night Bus because I've missed the last westbound Central Line home Wink

Speaking of Night buses, avoid them if at all possible!

I had a really good Mexican dinner at La Perla in Covent Garden the other night (Maiden Lane next to the Walkabout, opposite the Porterhouse)

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

I'm quite a sushi fan so any recommendation on a decent sushi bar would be appreciated.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:34 am

I really like the Southbank although maybe it isn't a landmark.

I agree with Chinatown, but there is also a place called Gaby's on Leicester Square. It's only a takeout place, but it does some fantastic wraps and sandwiches.

De Hems on Macclesfield Street in Soho does the whole range of Belgian and Dutch beers, and it's well worth a look.

Visit the various parks, or go along the river walks. Avoid 12pm-2pm though because you will be dodging joggers.

Well there are all sorts! You can jump a train from Waterloo, King's Cross, Paddington to anywhere and do whatever you like mostly.

Walkabouts are generally ok, and they are cheap with food and beer if you want that too. Avoid the Sports Cafe in Piccadilly on big events, the place gets jam packed, so I'd say the same goes during the Olympics.

I second the call for Brick Lane in the East, any Indian food fans should go there.

The Hammersmith Apollo has always been a favourite of mine, but there are plenty of places all over, particularly Camden. Soho is great for a night out if you have the money to waste!

Duvel, from the aforementioned De Hems.

10) anything I've missed

Stay out of the City on weekends because it will mostly be closed. Go to the West End where it's always buzzing with people.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:36 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

- Sadly London doesn't have all that many beer gardens. So if the sun's out do what the locals do, and head a local park to sunbathe. Pick up some cold ones at an off-licence on the way and you're set.

Must try that one. Trying to find anywhere just north of the river (I work on the Strand) that does Friday pub lunch outdoors is a real struggle (Temple Walkabout has it's roof terrace open, but their licence conditions are a right faff).

Of course there's plenty of options over on the South Bank.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:38 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
9) Anything anywhere.

To be honest about the only time I'm ever above ground on Oxford St is waiting for a Night Bus because I've missed the last westbound Central Line home Wink

DISREGARD! Night buses are so much fun!! Yes they are a slow way to get home, and yes I've fallen asleep on them and ended up somewhere I didn't want to be, but you always get a story from a night bus trip. Loads of banter, there's hundreds of them all night so getting home is never an issue and they're FREE (if you have a travel card) so a lot better than £20-30 on a taxi. Very Happy

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:45 am

sodhat wrote:2) your secret bargain eatery

I agree with Chinatown, but there is also a place called Gaby's on Leicester Square. It's only a takeout place, but it does some fantastic wraps and sandwiches.

Get there quick as it's closing Sad

De Hems on Macclesfield Street in Soho does the whole range of Belgian and Dutch beers, and it's well worth a look.

GREAT SHOUT have had many a fun night at De Hems, great for chatting up foreigh birds too if that's your thing, nicely followed up by Soho Bar on Old Compton Street.

Walkabouts are generally ok, and they are cheap with food and beer if you want that too. Avoid the Sports Cafe in Piccadilly on big events, the place gets jam packed, so I'd say the same goes during the Olympics.

Agree re Sports Cafe, never been a fan, though it's horses for courses I suppose. Will be crazy rammed during the Olympics as it's so central and so obvious.

I second the call for Brick Lane in the East, any Indian food fans should go there.

Thirded. Motion carried. Very Happy Curry isn't great quality but it's a great experience. Followed by drinks at Big Chill, Cafe 1001, 93 Feet East, Vibe Bar.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:46 am

I'm not a local, but in terms of venue I loved the Ally Pally (Alexandra Palace, for those that haven't heard of it before).

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

- Sadly London doesn't have all that many beer gardens. So if the sun's out do what the locals do, and head a local park to sunbathe. Pick up some cold ones at an off-licence on the way and you're set.

Must try that one. Trying to find anywhere just north of the river (I work on the Strand) that does Friday pub lunch outdoors is a real struggle (Temple Walkabout has it's roof terrace open, but their licence conditions are a right faff).

Of course there's plenty of options over on the South Bank.

The Fence, nr Farringdon Station, is a good shout too for a nice pub garden with decent food. Get's busy in the summer though as, as you say, there's few good spots like it in Central London.

Can't help re outdoor food spots near Strand tho, sorry.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

Being as I come from Macclesfield the name thing here is a must.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
9) Anything anywhere.

DISREGARD! Night buses are so much fun!! Yes they are a slow way to get home, and yes I've fallen asleep on them and ended up somewhere I didn't want to be, but you always get a story from a night bus trip. Loads of banter, there's hundreds of them all night so getting home is never an issue and they're FREE (if you have a travel card) so a lot better than £20-30 on a taxi. Very Happy
Maybe I'm showing my age there Wink

Price wise they're great. And I have some stories - the time we parked up for 40 minutes somewhere in Notting Hill because there'd been a car accident block the road, and the bus was too big to turn around (it was longer than the street was wide) I got off and started walking to another stop to try and carry on West via a different route, only to be picked up by the same bus once the wreckage was cleared. Then there was waiting 30 minutes for one, only to be booted off 4 stops later as someone had vomit downstairs meaning the bus went out of service to wait for a cleaner, queue another 30 minutes wait. After leaving a restaurant in Chinatown at 2am, I got home at 5am - and had to be at Paddington by 11am to get the train to Cardiff to see the All Blacks ...

Sadly I've just described 2 of my last 4 night-bus journeys Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

Hero wrote:

If you like strong beer then it's a great place. Can be a little full sometimes and inside is on the small side.

The toilets are located down some perilous stairs though, so if you are going to have a few take a helmet.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:53 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
sodhat wrote:2) your secret bargain eatery

Get there quick as it's closing Sad

GREAT SHOUT have had many a fun night at De Hems, great for chatting up foreigh birds too if that's your thing, nicely followed up by Soho Bar on Old Compton Street.

Agree re Sports Cafe, never been a fan, though it's horses for courses I suppose. Will be crazy rammed during the Olympics as it's so central and so obvious.

Thirded. Motion carried. Very Happy Curry isn't great quality but it's a great experience. Followed by drinks at Big Chill, Cafe 1001, 93 Feet East, Vibe Bar.

It's closing? Aww, man, I was only walking past this weekend tempted to go in for something.

I went to the Sports Cafe for the Haye/Klitschko fight and it was so packed it was unreal. It cost £20 to get in and even then we left because it was crazy and I wanted a drink!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:54 am

Fists of Fury wrote:I'm not a local, but in terms of venue I loved the Ally Pally (Alexandra Palace, for those that haven't heard of it before).

Nice bar with outside area with plenty of picnic tables and some of the best views in London due to Pally's elevated position.

The building is very attractive also and there's quite a bit on. Often used as a music venue (though I thought the accoustics weren't great when watching Alice Cooper last Hallowe'en) but best for Prizefighter boxing and the Darts world champs.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

sodhat wrote:
It's closing? Aww, man, I was only walking past this weekend tempted to go in for something.

I went to the Sports Cafe for the Haye/Klitschko fight and it was so packed it was unreal. It cost £20 to get in and even then we left because it was crazy and I wanted a drink!

Yeh, it's been getting a lot of press in the Metro/ES as it's such a famous local haunt and it's part of a parade to be redeveloped which means it'll be replaced by some generic cack like Eat or Pret. Think it's got a little life in it yet tho, maybe 12-18 months.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

Hero wrote:

It's also in China town, off Gerrard St - the main strip, so good for the aforementioned cheap grub Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

Either Paddigton Station or Chiswick Flyover Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:27 pm

Wouldn't fill the whole list as I haven't spent enough time in London but for the kids I think they would enjoy Hamleys, which I think is on Regent Street? Lots of cool activities to do there , and some neat toys to buy.

London Eye was enjoyable as well. I stayed in Chlsea in a Jury's Inn which was comfortable and at a good price. On the way we stopped in a place called Bodean's if you're into BBQ food it's a great spot to go, pulled pork, wings, ribs you name it. Very tasty and I think it was quite cheap.

I think getting a travel day card which covers Buses and tubes make sense but if you have a map or no where you're going (even if you don't your never too far from a tube) I would echo TopHat's thoughts and go for a walk, take the place in, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in London

P.S. If you have time I enjoyed Legoland when I was 5 so that might be good Wink

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

not a Londoner, but do visit from time to time..

one place i really have to big up is the National Gallery (Trafalgar Square)

free entry, just pop in, grab an audio guide and lose yourself for hours... Very Happy

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:41 pm

Great shouts from both Thomond and TM Moot there, wholeheartedly agree.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

Science museum is pretty interesting too, I remember they used ot have a great breakdown of an F1 crash of David Coulthard I think.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

Hero wrote:I'm quite a sushi fan so any recommendation on a decent sushi bar would be appreciated.

Mmmm, sushi....not my expertise, but there is a very good Japanese restaurant called Sakura just off Hanover Square. It's small, you can't book reserve and is meant to be very good and very authentic.

There's also a good sushi restaurant in Camden but I can't for the live of me remember the name of it!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Hero wrote:I'm quite a sushi fan so any recommendation on a decent sushi bar would be appreciated.

Mmmm, sushi....not my expertise, but there is a very good Japanese restaurant called Sakura just off Hanover Square. It's small, you can't book reserve and is meant to be very good and very authentic.

There's also a good sushi restaurant in Camden but I can't for the live of me remember the name of it!

If you just want quick sushi then it is literally available every five yards on most streets

Itsu is a part of Pret I think, and they are all over the shop!

Where exactly are you going? If it's central you'll have no problem.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

Itsu is very good! Wasabi is a similar chain with a slightly broader range and worth a look too.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Edit - KRD - made this one a global in the lead up to the Olympics
With the Olympics nearly upon us, I thought it'd be nice to compose a guide for those visiting London written by 606 members in London. If everyone joining this thread from the big Smoke could give examples of the following, we'll get a great guide very quickly:

1) your favourite London Landmark - The combo of the Thames, the Houses of Parliament inkling whateve the tower with Big Ben in is called and Westminister Abbey as seen from Southbank
2) your secret bargain eatery - I second/third/whatever Chinatown and Bricklane, but also if you're in South Ken for some reason, there's a shop called the Sandwich stop on Gloucester Road that does excellent and cheap baguettes (and other sandwichy things)
3) your favourite drinking spot- lots, mostly more in West London but for its excellent balcony view of the Thames and little bar and decent food, the Dove in Hammersmith. Can do recommendations anywhere in central though too.
4) your favourite leisurely London activity- walking along the River, or in Borough Market or lying in one of the many parks
5) the best nearby place/activity outside of London- it's not that near, but Brighton for Fish and Chips, the beach and a top day out
6) your tip for where tonwatch sport (live or on tv) in London- properly live- the Stoop. Obviously. On TV- Walkabout, the only place that shows Rugby all the time as well as cricket and Aussie Rules Smile
7) your favourite local dish- Boar Sausages at Borough Market. Been twice just for them
8) your favourite London musician/venue/ club/ music-y thing- club- Koko. Venue- The Brixton Electric. Other- Matilda in the West End. Cracking show, good price tickets too
9) your favourite beverage and where to get it (if different to 3)- any Cornish Ale, any pub that serves it. Or a Lynchberg Lemonade, various overpriced cocktail bars.
10) anything I've missed Wink- I seriously recommend te Comedy Store in Leicester Square

I'll add mine later today but let's help visitors to the biggest sporting stage!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:00 pm

It's near the Barbican where I'm heading to (Wood St) but I'll be travelling back to Euston afterwards.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:06 pm

Hero wrote:It's near the Barbican where I'm heading to (Wood St) but I'll be travelling back to Euston afterwards.
Hero, recommend you give yourself half an hour in here (http://www.eustontap.com/) before your train departs Ale

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:15 pm

Hero wrote:It's near the Barbican where I'm heading to (Wood St) but I'll be travelling back to Euston afterwards.

You'll have plenty of options around there if you head down towards Cheapside or to St Paul's, every other shop is a restaurant and I imagine a fair amount will be sushi!

I like the Barbican actually, some of my favourite landmarks are the three tower blocks there.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

1) River Thames
2) Wahacca (cheap mexican street food)
3) White Swan (Twickenham)
4) People watching on Richmond Green - Twickenham raft race
5) Sunny Day by the sea down in Brighton.
6) Hate to say it but, Walkabout pubs are always good for watching sport.
7) Indian restraunts - Curry, if not Brick Lane then Drummond St (by Euston Station)
8) O'Neils - Richmond (live band every Friday night)
9) Pint of Naked Lady bitter.
10) anything I've missed

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:28 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Hero, recommend you give yourself half an hour in here (http://www.eustontap.com/) before your train departs Ale

I actually think the Tap is over-rated...... censored

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:28 pm

Seriously, this time –

Royal Naval College, Greenwich - http://www.ornc.org/
A great walk is from the Isle of Dogs, through the Foot Tunnel - http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/tunnel.htm under the Thames, past the Cutty Sark up to the College

Good value can always be got in Chinatown Ok!

Greenwich was always a joy or on the Thames around Chiswick (happy memories of Sunday afternoon with Kiwi friends Cool )

Just walking around taking it all in or sitting watching the locals run like ****, barging and jostling people, then go absolutely stark raving schizoid because they missed their tube and would have to wait for whole minute. Yep 1 minute Rolling Eyes

WALES – it’s only 2 hours on the train Very Happy http://www.visitwales.co.uk/

6) your tip for where to watch sport (live or on tv) in London
I could tell you, but Dog (Hound of Harrow) would probably kill me Whistle

n/a – love Italian food

n/a - not on the local ‘scene’ now. A lot will have changed in 16 years, we used to hang out in the Soho area Yikes

The beers in De Hems (Chinatown) were always good

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

sodhat wrote:

You'll have plenty of options around there if you head down towards Cheapside or to St Paul's, every other shop is a restaurant and I imagine a fair amount will be sushi!

I like the Barbican actually, some of my favourite landmarks are the three tower blocks there.

If you're on Wood Street then, if it's sunny (which it will be, and hot) it is inexcusable not to visit Madison at the top of One New Change. Seems to be a bit of a Londoners only haunt still, not that well known outside of City workers but still tremendously popular. Fantastic sun-trap with stunning views.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Prepare to face the wrath of an agry Scotsman Braveheart

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm

Thomond wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Prepare to face the wrath of an angry Scotsman Braveheart
Good jeebus, no, T, everyone is entitled to be wrong, even TopHat Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
sodhat wrote:

If you're on Wood Street then, if it's sunny (which it will be, and hot) it is inexcusable not to visit Madison at the top of One New Change. Seems to be a bit of a Londoners only haunt still, not that well known outside of City workers but still tremendously popular. Fantastic sun-trap with stunning views.
One reason to avoid it like the plague! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm

Thomond wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Prepare to face the wrath of an agry Scotsman Braveheart

haha I know I know. It's a controversial opinion but I've never bought into it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:38 pm

Cheers fellas, hopefully these will make the 5:30am start more bearable!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:52 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Edit - KRD - made this one a global in the lead up to the Olympics

10) anything I've missed Wink

OK here's an incomplete list...

1) Greenwich Observatory, Millennium Eye, Tate Modern, British Museum, National Portrait Gallery
2)
Asakusa on Eversholt St for Japanese food you could spend ten times as much for at the likes of Nobu.
Gelupo in Soho for ice cream. The coconut sorbet is worth a try.
Roganic in Marylebone. Not cheap but bit of a bargain as far as top end goes. Morgan M is also OK in a similar vein.
The Wright Brothers in Borough Market for everything to do with oysters. Borough Market itself is insanely busy and probably best avoided, but this little restaurant is worth the visit.
Wells Tavern in Hampstead for very nice gastropub fare. Good pints too.
Lunch at the Indian YMCA near Warren St - the most authentic Indian food in London.
Tayyabs in Whitechapel. Punjabi awesomeness, order the lamb chops.
Rasa Samudra near Oxford Circus. Keralan seafood and vegetarian dishes.
***Please avoid Indian food in Brick Lane if you can!***
Fish & Chips at the Two Brothers, Finchley - simple, awesome F&C. You're more likely to make it to the Rock & Sole Plaice near Covent Garden, also pretty good.
Chains worth checking out: Busaba Eathai (Thai), Wahaca (Mexican), Byron Burgers, Chipotle (Burritos)

3)
Paramount at the top of Centre Point by Tottenham Court Road. Good for cocktails. Amazing views.
Skylon, South Bank and Nightjar, Old St - cocktails.
Flask in Hampstead - nice old man pub (with good food).
Barrica - Tapas Bar on Goodge St, very nice wine selection.
Norfolk Arms, Bloomsbury. Nice pints, great tapas!
Upper St. in Islington. Yes, the whole street, simply have a pint in every single bar. Recuperate on Sunday by lunching at any pub in Chalk Farm.
Lock Tavern, Camden - nice pub with bands on at night.

4) Walking / biking / ferry along the Thames, picnic on Primrose Hill, Proms.
5) Day trip to Brighton / Canterbury / Whitstable. Weekend trip to Paris / Edinburgh.
6) I struggle to find decent places for televised sport but imagine every pub will want to be part of the Olympics action!
7) Can't and won't choose!
8) Lock Tavern in Camden, Roundhouse, Ronnie Scott's, Albert Hall, Royal Festival Hall and the South Bank venues, the Barbican for the LSO.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 5:11 pm

Thanks for your input, chaps
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm

1) erm not sure- just go on a walk about you will find something.
2) try out the new jamie oliver italian chain restaurants- they are amazing and the same price as a zizzis or presso, but bursting with flavours- also borough market is brilliant to grab a hog roast roll or a burger or really different quality worldy foods(market in the day by london bridge)- best steak house- the maze grill(jason atherton head cheff- a gordon ramsey restaurant)- or go to a gauchos
3) covent garden is class for a drink
4) just floating about - allways something to see,shop,drink,eat, do
5) go to brighton for the day/night- good times
6) dont really have one, just go to random bars- the sports bar leicester square will allways have something on though 24/7 on any night(i have watched the cricket there all night v australia)
7) hog roast roll or beef and horseradish roll- borough market
8) any club in shoreditch- that place is mental- i have forgetton the names to them!!
9) all bar one london bridge if i am honest- duval ,leffe, etc- well any all bar one will do- they have great contennental lagers/beers.. there is also a great bar in shorditch as well- argg i forget names
10) cant think

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 24 Jul 2012, 6:49 pm

1) Landmark = Lloyds building. From an architects point of view it's so unique, and whenever I see it's silhouette on the horizon with the Gerkin and Natwest Tower I know I'm home.
2) Obertellis Italian deli in Leadenhall Market. A hidden gem, the opposite of fancy but the food does the talking (best home made chicken escalope sandwiches in town!).
3) Hard to narrow down, I like the little places like the Elephant on Fenchurch Street or the Red Lion near Bank Station. The Worlds End in Camden is another personal favourite.
4) Nothing fancy, just a walk along Oxford Street through Marble Arch to the park, spot of lunch, stroll by the Thames, maybe check out the guitar shops down Denmark Street (off tottenham court road). Museum or a gallery thrown in and you've cracked it - personally I like the Imperial War Museum but there choices are almost endless.
5) The snow dome in Milton Keynes is pretty cool, only 45 mins from Euston.
6) Take your pick, no real special place for that they're usually all packed during big events, I'm more of a watch it at home with friends type.
7) The Gaucho Grill (under the Cross Keyes Pub on Gracechurch Street) is a favourite of mine - if you like steak give it a try.
8) Depends what you're looking for, plenty of clubs in the West End but it'll cost you a pretty penny. Used to be a really good indie club near the Embankment called Kaleidescope. Best place IMO is Camden, the Lock, electric ballroom etc great for live music (not sure if the Barfly closed recently?) and the Enterprise is good for intimate gigs. 100 Club on Oxford Street is another live music favourite.
9) Peroni and/or Jack & coke - available city wide!
10) Nah you covered it.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 9:30 pm

Barfly still open a month or so ago
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm

Steak -> Hawksmoor. Gaucho is overpriced for what it is.

I must disagree with Jamie Oliver's chains - I've always found them a bit underwhelming in terms of what you actually get!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next