The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread

+35
I hate fish
Galted
EnglishReign
Adam D
teassoc
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Dave.
boomeranga
Pot Hale
TwisT
Kenny
hornbloweroafc
GG
The Best in the World
GSC
Ent
whocares
Pal Joey
liverbnz
Super D Boon
eirebilly
Crimey
HERSH
John Cregan
mystiroakey
Hibbz
Duty281
dyrewolfe
Jennifer1984
Biltong
Liam
Thomond
Smirnoffpriest
Good Golly I'm Olly
Shelsey93
39 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread Empty The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 10:39 am

So, is everybody as excited as I am?

I literally can't wait for 9.00 tonight - just a shame that I'm going to be round with family who'll probably have it on but will probably talk.

I hope that they put on something spectacular rather than just following the way other Games have done it. Apparently HM The Queen's entrance is weather-affected (surely she can't be parachuting Shocked ), and then we have the question of how the flame will be lit. The more I think about it the more I think it won't be a famous sportman - more likely it'll be something to do with legacy (a young kid from the East End maybe, or a sport's coach), or it'll be lit by more than one person. If it is a famous sportsperson surely it has to be Sir Steve Redgrave - nobody can match him as a British olympian. If its Beckham I think it would be a travesty; luckily it almost certainly won't be.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread Empty Re: The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 27 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

It's gonna rain.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread Empty Re: The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

Olly wrote:It's gonna rain.

I hope not. Weather this morning was saying it should probably stay cloudy, with the chance of a shower Fingers Crossed

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 27 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

It will rain. But I prefer the rain The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread 3559488474
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

I heard David Beckham kicks a flaming ball onto the main flame torch that ignites it or something along those lines. I think it should be Redgrave, he's a bit boring but he's an Olympic legend. As long as Tom Daley is nowhere to be seen I will be happy. I must admit, all this talk of sheep and cows seems embarrasing but I will reserve judgement on it until tonight. If it does rain, then the cows will be sitting down won't they, could be a problem moving them lol! Laugh . I can't see it being superior to Beijing but it will be a spectacular show and finally we can get underway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

I'm still amazed (and a little disappointed) about the level of negativity that's been in the press surrounding the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. We haven't even seen it yet but people are talking like it's obviously going to be rubbish "coz it's got cows in it (apparently)"

I'm intriged to see what they will do and imagine it will highlight British excentricity

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:17 pm

To be honest I couldn't really give a shoite about the opening ceremony really, I'm off to see a match tonight might tunr it on if it's still on when I get back, China's was good from waht I saw will be hard to match.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I'm still amazed (and a little disappointed) about the level of negativity that's been in the press surrounding the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. We haven't even seen it yet but people are talking like it's obviously going to be rubbish "coz it's got cows in it (apparently)"

I'm intriged to see what they will do and imagine it will highlight British excentricity

I think that the media have generally been pretty good at building the anticipation - they could well have gone on about the Korea incident or various ticketing issues, but most instead seem to be reflecting the generally positive public mood. Sadly there is an element of the public that resent anything which disrupts normal life, and think that the taxpayer is always being robbed.

After the Beijing ceremony a lot of our media started saying - "How on earth are we going to be able to compete with that?". But I think we might do even better. Whilst humungous amounts of money were spent on Beijing (twice the cost of tonight I think), in reflection a lot of it was dancers trying to represent events in Chinese history, millions of fireworks, and cute girls miming a song sung by less cute girls. I really hope that we can put a quirky British tinge on it, and create at least a couple of genuinely memorable moments.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 27 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

can't wait to see this tonight. Seeing the sneak preview last night and it looked superb I have to say.

At first I was apprehensive about the olympics but I've really got in the spirit of things. Of course, I haven't got one of those ridiculous little flags and merchandise like that but there's nothing like cheering on the brits at the olympics, even in the sports you have never seen or really understand.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 27 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm

South Africa is going into this Olympics with a goal to win 12 medals, but they reckon two medals will be a success after we only won one medal last time. Crying or Very sad
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 2:50 pm

biltongbek wrote:South Africa is going into this Olympics with a goal to win 12 medals, but they reckon two medals will be a success after we only won one medal last time. Crying or Very sad

How are you and the area you live in looking forward to London 2012? Bil

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 27 Jul 2012, 2:58 pm

Smirnoff, the Olympics are always very low key in SA, problem is all those sports are not really mainstream in SA, and most of those sports struggle to get sponsors.

When you look at SA only a few sporting codes really have money, Rugby, cricket, Football, and the rest comes a distant second.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

biltongbek wrote:Smirnoff, the Olympics are always very low key in SA, problem is all those sports are not really mainstream in SA, and most of those sports struggle to get sponsors.

When you look at SA only a few sporting codes really have money, Rugby, cricket, Football, and the rest comes a distant second.

Interesting. Most countries direct their funding specifically towards Olympics sports - maybe the lack of funding goes some way to explaining why a country with the sporting pedigree of South Africa does so badly in the Olympics.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

Yeah I would have expected a sporting nation like SA to have funded quite a lot of sports, rather than rely on sponsorship to develop the sports

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 3:51 pm

I've been disappointed with the petty nit-picking in sections of the press in the build up to the Games. It's as if they want it to be a failure so they can crow "We told you so... it should never have been held here."

Unfortunately, this element is always present in our sporting press. Whatever the sport, some elements of it seem to want Britain to fail.

As for the opening ceremony, well, on Wednesday Beckham flirted with the press, telling them that he "has a role to play" in the opening ceremony. That immediately installed him with some bookies as the favourite to light the flame.

I would be disappointed if it were Beckham... or any other sporting 'giant' come to that. It isn't that I have any particular axe to grind with Beckham or anyone else, but I think the honour would be better given to somebody who has a more deserving reason.

For my tuppence worth, I would prefer the honour to go to somebody like Nikki Rollason, the daughter of Helen Rollason the BBC sports presenter who died from bowel cancer in 1999.

For those who do not know, or may not remember, after being diagnosed in 1997 she gave up her work to devote the remainder of her life to raising funds for cancer research in the name of sport. Helen Rollason raised more than £5 million before she died and her work, through the Helen Rollason Foundation goes on to this day, supported by her now adult daughter Nikki who works on in her mother's memory.

The BBC founded the Helen Rollason Award, which is presented annually at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards. It is awarded for "for outstanding achievement in the face of adversity" (Biltongbek may care to know that last year, it was awarded to Oscar Pistorius). The Sunday Times also started the Helen Rollason Award For Inspiration.

Another such candidate for lighting the flame could be the widower of Jane Tomlinson, another woman like Helen Rollason who devoted the remainder of her life to raising money for charity through sport, before succumbing to cancer.

Would not the selection of people such as these be more fitting than giving it to some shallow celebrity who just wants the publicity..?

I'm sure there are many other praiseworthy people in the country who have done wonderful things selflessly. In my opinion, any one of them would be far more deserving than any celebrity and it would be making a statement to the world that these Games belong, first and foremost, to the people.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

I'm almost certain it won't be Beckham - there would be little justification for it.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm hoping the Olympic flame will be lit via some giant Mousetrap-style mechanism, involving rolling balls, tipping buckets and see-saws, set in motion by Timmy Mallett. Laugh

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:05 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:I'm hoping the Olympic flame will be lit via some giant Mousetrap-style mechanism, involving rolling balls, tipping buckets and see-saws, set in motion by Timmy Mallett. Laugh

Laughing. We could have Timmy Mallett and Boris Johnson throwing great big dice to see who gets a double six first, to set the machine in motion. Very Happy Very Happy

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:07 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:I'm hoping the Olympic flame will be lit via some giant Mousetrap-style mechanism, involving rolling balls, tipping buckets and see-saws, set in motion by Timmy Mallett. Laugh

That would be classic - the flame could roll through some sort of 'Fun House' as well (maybe setting Pat Sharp on fire) before toasting some giant 'Welsh Rabitt' before being booted into the 'coldron' by either Vinny Jones or Juilian Dicks!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:30 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

That would be classic - the flame could roll through some sort of 'Fun House' as well (maybe setting Pat Sharp on fire) before toasting some giant 'Welsh Rabitt' before being booted into the 'coldron' by either Vinny Jones or Juilian Dicks!

Vinny Jones and Julian Dicks would kick it out of the stadium, then drop a head butt on Jacques Rogge before running round the stadium with their shirts pulled up over their heads. Dennis Wise would kick Jacques Rogge in the nads while he's on the floor, hoping nobody else notices and walk away trying to look innocent.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:58 pm

Let's just enjoy the opening ceremony tonight, I'm sure it will be fantastic. The eyes of the World will be on Great Britain over the next two weeks, let's show them why we are Great!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:30 pm

No chance I'm afraid, if I recall the game Mousetrap took about 20 years to set up so they've not had chance to plan it.

Great idea though.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:32 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Smirnoff, the Olympics are always very low key in SA, problem is all those sports are not really mainstream in SA, and most of those sports struggle to get sponsors.

Interesting. Most countries direct their funding specifically towards Olympics sports - maybe the lack of funding goes some way to explaining why a country with the sporting pedigree of South Africa does so badly in the Olympics.

Unfortunately the Olympics have always been a source of disappointment for proud South Africans, we have always been proud of our sporting traditions but as you say lacking severely in the Olympics.

There is also a questionable motive behind some of the sports as to why we don't send bigger groups of athletes. Boxing, shooting, archery etc we send sometimes only one ot two to represent us which makes no sense, boxing as an example is very popular amongst the townships and yet this year we only sent two boxers.

Makes little sense. i can't really tell you why.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:33 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Yeah I would have expected a sporting nation like SA to have funded quite a lot of sports, rather than rely on sponsorship to develop the sports
Smirnoff sport in SA is wholly reliant on private sector money.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:40 pm

I see, that seems mad as I come from the UK where almost every sport benefits from funding (except football, but even then there's bit put into grass roots). And athletics benefits more than almost anything else, as it doesn't draw as many fans unless it's a big event like the Olympics or Commonwealth Games, so they desperately need the money.

But I of course realise now that other countries would do things differently.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:04 pm

remembering how awesome the chinese one was is making me abit more exited-.

Danny boyle directing hey and the line up looks sweet- its gonna be great.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:06 pm

England have massive depth(second in the world behind USA) in the one sport that is solely reliant on private sector funding!

That is offcourse the greatest game of all time- golf!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:10 pm

mystiroakey wrote:England have massive depth(second in the world behind USA) in the one sport that is solely reliant on private sector funding!

That is offcourse the greatest game of all time- golf!

I think you'll find that South Africa, Australia and even Ireland would disagree................maybe even the Swedes..................... thumbsup

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:37 pm

no its 100~% true john we have the most depth(bar US)-and have done for the last 10 plus years. this is not something i dont know. I have done extensive research.

england have 1 in every 10 golfers on the planet.

3rd in the the list are sweden with .56 in every 10.

we have 54 in the top 500, 112 in the total rankings, 12 in the top 100 and 3 in the top 10.

so............................

In comparison ireland only have about 16 in the total rankings- sweden 50 , aus about 30 and SA about 40

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:39 pm

USA have almost half the players if you were wondering!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:56 pm

Mysti,

You never cease to amaze me !!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:13 pm

Gonna be honest I did this the other day and I had to times a few multiples because i didnt count every player in the full ranking. But what is clear is that USA are miles out ahead and england are quite comfortable in second spot. What offcourse really matters is major winners which england currently suck at and the ireland(plus NI) as a whole is very good at with a very lowish relative depth. But depth is still a decent factor when discussing how successfull is funding in sport! Golf is clearly one of our most successfull sports and yet we dont pay a pretty penny for it(lottery fund tax etc)- Its all down to private indiviuals allowing juniours to join clubs for next to nothing costs.

I use this comparision alot when it comes to tennis in this country and ask myself what the heck is going on!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:15 pm

Tell you what, the olympic park just looks spectacular. Velodrome specifically looks superb and I think this next few weeks is going to be brilliant.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:32 pm

My moneys on the Queen lighting the torch.

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:33 pm

my moneys on Daley thompson..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:34 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Gonna be honest I did this the other day and I had to times a few multiples because i didnt count every player in the full ranking. But what is clear is that USA are miles out ahead and england are quite comfortable in second spot. What offcourse really matters is major winners which england currently suck at and the ireland(plus NI) as a whole is very good at with a very lowish relative depth. But depth is still a decent factor when discussing how successfull is funding in sport! Golf is clearly one of our most successfull sports and yet we dont pay a pretty penny for it(lottery fund tax etc)- Its all down to private indiviuals allowing juniours to join clubs for next to nothing costs.

I use this comparision alot when it comes to tennis in this country and ask myself what the heck is going on!

I know Llanelli had a pretty high standard golf course (think it was international standard) and that had millions of European funding to build.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:34 pm

bannister surely, i will be sickened if its giving to the queen!!!

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:37 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Gonna be honest I did this the other day and I had to times a few multiples because i didnt count every player in the full ranking. But what is clear is that USA are miles out ahead and england are quite comfortable in second spot. What offcourse really matters is major winners which england currently suck at and the ireland(plus NI) as a whole is very good at with a very lowish relative depth. But depth is still a decent factor when discussing how successfull is funding in sport! Golf is clearly one of our most successfull sports and yet we dont pay a pretty penny for it(lottery fund tax etc)- Its all down to private indiviuals allowing juniours to join clubs for next to nothing costs.

I know Llanelli had a pretty high standard golf course (think it was international standard) and that had millions of European funding to build.

whats holding back wales then?

you also had woosnam at the same time we had faldo!

I go and play celtic manor quite a bit - nice set up there

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:40 pm

personally if i was gonna award the flame to someone it would be paul mccartney

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:48 pm

mystiroakey wrote:personally if i was gonna award the flame to someone it would be paul mccartney

Headscratch

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

Frank turner is the nuts I love him!!

Crimey- Paul mccartrney is possibly the most important man alive dude!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:51 pm

HERSH wrote:My moneys on the Queen lighting the torch.

Isnt Roger Bannister lighting it? It was reported here in Holland that he may be the one?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:53 pm

they have stopped taking bets on him - so probally

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:54 pm

Crimey- Paul mccartrney is possibly the most important man alive dude!

I can't tell if you're joking or not?

Jeremy Clarkson to light the torch?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 9:04 pm

if you wanna compare clarkson with mcartney then i fear your abit to young

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 9:06 pm

this is cool

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 9:06 pm

mystiroakey wrote:if you wanna compare clarkson with mcartney then i fear your abit to young

I was joking mate.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 27 Jul 2012, 9:08 pm

This is making me cry!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 9:09 pm

Redgrave will light the torch and rightly so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 27 Jul 2012, 9:10 pm

I've only just put this on and already it's looking pants! picard

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next