The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread

+35
I hate fish
Galted
EnglishReign
Adam D
teassoc
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Dave.
boomeranga
Pot Hale
TwisT
Kenny
hornbloweroafc
GG
The Best in the World
GSC
Ent
whocares
Pal Joey
liverbnz
Super D Boon
eirebilly
Crimey
HERSH
John Cregan
mystiroakey
Hibbz
Duty281
dyrewolfe
Jennifer1984
Biltong
Liam
Thomond
Smirnoffpriest
Good Golly I'm Olly
Shelsey93
39 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread - Page 6 Empty The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 10:39 am

First topic message reminder :

So, is everybody as excited as I am?

I literally can't wait for 9.00 tonight - just a shame that I'm going to be round with family who'll probably have it on but will probably talk.

I hope that they put on something spectacular rather than just following the way other Games have done it. Apparently HM The Queen's entrance is weather-affected (surely she can't be parachuting Shocked ), and then we have the question of how the flame will be lit. The more I think about it the more I think it won't be a famous sportman - more likely it'll be something to do with legacy (a young kid from the East End maybe, or a sport's coach), or it'll be lit by more than one person. If it is a famous sportsperson surely it has to be Sir Steve Redgrave - nobody can match him as a British olympian. If its Beckham I think it would be a travesty; luckily it almost certainly won't be.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:02 am

Well i loved it man- different and clever- more symbolic less traditional

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Opening/Closing Ceremony Thread

Post by Super D Boon Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:06 am

But it wasn't an olympic flame it was a lot of smaller olympic flames.

Highlights for me - The greenery, some of the music montage, Arctic Monkeys held it well, some of the flag bearers.

Lowlights - Macca needs to retire, Hey Jude, the flame, Muhammed Ali

Nice to speak to you all during this historic event though! I'm having a couple more beers then bed I think.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:10 am

gonna watch boyles the beach on telly it has just started- trainspotting was on before- i think thats sacraledge to put his work on while his work was on for the oylimpics

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Sat 28 Jul 2012, 3:35 am

That was really good. A very British mix of creativity, patriotism and taking the p*ss. There is always difficult patches, but it was something you can be proud of I think. It'll be a great games.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:24 am

I loved it. Sure the flag bearing things goes on for ages, but it always does, there is no getting around it. The rest I loved (except for Macca - my god I thought he was bad at the Queen's jubilee, but that was pretty poor). Quite brilliant how Danny Boyle put that all together, just pure genius
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:27 am

All things considered, this ceremony was excellent. Historic and meaningful in places, exuberant and youthful in others with a tinge of wicked British humour thrown in for good measure. We should have known that Mr Bean would put in an appearance somewhere....LMAO

The Queen and James Bond... Brilliant. Her Majesty got into the spirit of it all and showed what a trouper she is.

The lighting of the cauldron was a triumph and I am so glad the honour was given to a group of young people nominated by great British Olympians of the past. The old passing tradition and responsibility on to the young.

Only one thing I didn't like: The GB team uniforms. What the heck was that white and gold all about..? Perhaps it is my own British 'reserve' kicking in here, but looking like blinged up chavs doesn't sit comfortably. The British look best when they wear blazers, slacks / skirts and have hats for waving, not wearing.

But that's just a little personal thing. Overall, after the stratospheric high of the Beijing opening ceremony, we brought it back to Earth without losing the essential elements of entertainment, history, culture and tradition.

If this was an opening ceremony on a budget, then I'd say we got our moneys worth.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:27 am

I thought macca was great at the queens jubilee. Not so there, shame but it got abit better

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:31 am

Yeah that roger fed outfit was abit ermm- i really liked the white though.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:31 am

Jennifer1984 wrote:All things considered, this ceremony was excellent. Historic and meaningful in places, exuberant and youthful in others with a tinge of wicked British humour thrown in for good measure. We should have known that Mr Bean would put in an appearance somewhere....LMAO

The Queen and James Bond... Brilliant. Her Majesty got into the spirit of it all and showed what a trouper she is.

The lighting of the cauldron was a triumph and I am so glad the honour was given to a group of young people nominated by great British Olympians of the past. The old passing tradition and responsibility on to the young.

Only one thing I didn't like: The GB team uniforms. What the heck was that white and gold all about..? Perhaps it is my own British 'reserve' kicking in here, but looking like blinged up chavs doesn't sit comfortably. The British look best when they wear blazers, slacks / skirts and have hats for waving, not wearing.

But that's just a little personal thing. Overall, after the stratospheric high of the Beijing opening ceremony, we brought it back to Earth without losing the essential elements of entertainment, history, culture and tradition.

If this was an opening ceremony on a budget, then I'd say we got our moneys worth.

I agree with everything you say. Except the uniforms, they were just average for me.
The ceremony cost £27 million according to Sky Sports. I would assume Beijing's cost a lot more than that. I loved all the going through time, through the periods, and everything worked amazingly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:32 am

27million- thats peanuts- we give 44 million quid to the EU every day

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:33 am

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews
What did you think of the ceremony? It cost £27 million - money well spent? #SSN
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:34 am

yeah we did well on next to nothing. great honest opening ceromony.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:44 am

I personally thought that it was a rather good opening ceremony. Went a bit far with being all pc but was very good. Was not a fan of the musical part though but then again, every ceremony has to have its down sides.

A lot of money spent but thats what these kind of things cost.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:46 am

Beijing's opening ceremony cost roughly $300 million. They went down a different route, and purely awe inspiring stuff.

We went down a more unique, cultural route and I loved it. The mound with all the flags on, then speaking on the mound, oh it was wonderful
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:46 am

Music is clearly a massive part of this country - therefore it had to be represented- kinda surreal, but very creative- not everyone is gonna get it though. Many will like the music but get bored of the rest and viceversa..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:50 am

I actually enjoyed this opening ceremony more to that of Beijing. Beijing seemed to just try too hard for the wow factor. This one was excellent in its simplicity.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:54 am

I think this one was just sort of the start of a new Olympic movement, it was fresh. We sort of knew we couldn't match Beijing, so we had free reign to create and we did. And it keeps with the 'Inspire a generation' motto, by keeping youngsters like me involved with all the new age stuff, and the torch lighting by the old guard handing over to the new guard so to speak, was pretty cool
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:59 am

Great Show............pity about McCartney, but i never thought much of him as a performer anyway............and "Hey Jude"??.....is that all he's got?

At least 10 countries id never heard of...................................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 9:03 am

John Cregan wrote:Great Show............pity about McCartney, but i never thought much of him as a performer anyway............and "Hey Jude"??.....is that all he's got?

Shocked

One of the greatest musicians and performers of all time Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 9:09 am

I heard that a young girl singer at the bejeing olyimpics was replaced with a prettier version that mined - says it all really...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 28 Jul 2012, 9:17 am

It was just fantastic, a great story from start to finish. A brilliant touch with the young lighting the cauldron, bring our four nations together, passing the torch from old to young. Marvelous!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 28 Jul 2012, 10:12 am

eirebilly wrote:
John Cregan wrote:Great Show............pity about McCartney, but i never thought much of him as a performer anyway............and "Hey Jude"??.....is that all he's got?

Shocked

One of the greatest musicians and performers of all time Shocked

Not for me Bill...............never got him at all.................loved the Frog Video though. !!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

John you still have to respect that he is iconic throughout the world because of what he has acheived and been a part of

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 28 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

Fair enough John, each to their own. I have always found him to be a great showman myself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sat 28 Jul 2012, 11:04 am

who are Muse?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:19 pm

HERSH wrote:who are Muse?

They wrote the official Olympic song, turns out they are playing the closing ceremony.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

I was wondering where Muse were

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:27 pm

Hesrh do you really not now who muse are?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:42 pm

McCartney is embarrasing now, can't sing at all. He's like a bad smell nowadays at all the top events that just never goes away.

Thought the ceremony was actually brilliant up until he came on after the fireworks.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

I think we had to showcase him- but his performanec wasnt great- jeas i wish he mined it!! his voice just isnt right any more- he has no control

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:50 pm

Each tired rendition of 'Hey Jude' is more desperate and boring than the last. Just retire, but I expect he'll be all over the closing ceremony like a rash.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:51 pm

Good:

The part where the greenery turned into the Industrial Revolution, loved the drums when this was going on.
James Bond and Queen part.
Mr. Bean on piano.
Arctic Monkeys
The lighting of the flame, I liked it, it looked like a cauldron, and it was quite symbolic of it all coming together.
The children and story book section.

Bad:

The flags (but obviously it has to happen).
Paul McCartney, awful at the Jubilee, worse then, the crowd were getting bored of doing 'Hey Jude' by the end. His voice has completely gone.
Muhammad Ali, it was really quite sad seeing him like that.
That silly text, romance thing.

Overall it was a lot better than I expected it to be, I think if you're not a fan of opening ceremonies you wouldn't like it, but you wouldn't like anything they tried. They didn't try to outdo Beijing, but rather do it in a British way and I think Danny Boyle should be praised.

You just know that in 5-10 years time there will be a tabloid piece on one of the torch-lighters who is now living in squalor in East London having failed to live up to their expectation.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm

The Rutles always were better. Im not sure though, if it were a choice between him and Elton John doing another version of Candle In The Wind for the Olympic flame then return of the Mac probably was the better choice.
Arctic Monkeys though? I guess it really was done on a budget

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

Not a massive fan of ceremonies- but that one was awesome- loved everything- ali was abit odd, macca wasnt good enough but happy he was there anyway!

Loved the music section- loved the singing from the choirs at the start, loved the history lesson . Arctic monkies were good.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

PSW the performers wont be getting paid mate.. Well i scincerly hope not!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

I'm a big fan of Arctic Monkeys and I thought they did well, it was obvious they were there so that they could do some stuff while they played music but I thought they did well. To the person who asked whether they had any other songs, of course they do, but they were obviously going to be asked to play the one that everybody knows them for.

Not sure about Alex Turner's hair though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

Crimey wrote:I'm a big fan of Arctic Monkeys and I thought they did well, it was obvious they were there so that they could do some stuff while they played music but I thought they did well. To the person who asked whether they had any other songs, of course they do, but they were obviously going to be asked to play the one that everybody knows them for.

Not sure about Alex Turner's hair though.

He did look very 50's with his leather jacket and DA haircut didn't he?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:06 pm

speaking of turner- Frank turner on the green hills just before the ceromony was my fav part!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

Liked the music, Ali and flames

Wasn't a fan of the Lord of the Rings opening or the NHS bit
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

Much better that I had expected.

Only 2 toe curling moments:

- the silly bit with the mobile phone text
- all those morris dancing props

Otherwise great use of lighting, fire works and film scenes for:

- James Bond
- Mr Bean (and his live bit of course)

Lovely to see the 'old uns' handing over to the 'young uns' at the end.

Nice bits commemorating those who died 7/7 and the deaf & dumb choir.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

Kinda surprised that people are surprised that the ceromony was good- we are one of the most artistic nations out there and having boyle direct it is a plus- The depth of directors we have in this country is staggering- I would love to see more of these things in the future done by british directors!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 28 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Kinda surprised that people are surprised that the ceromony was good- we are one of the most artistic nations out there and having boyle direct it is a plus- The depth of directors we have in this country is staggering- I would love to see more of these things in the future done by british directors!!

My worry was based on the truly awful 5 - 10 minutes taster we were given at the end of the Beijing games. I don't know who was responsible for that but last night's show was thankfully excellent.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 28 Jul 2012, 2:38 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I think we had to showcase him- but his performanec wasnt great- jeas i wish he mined it!! his voice just isnt right any more- he has no control

You were giving out earlier about the Chinese doing it, not too much of a difference. Macca wasn't great but I think he had to do it. Enjoyable ceremony, parts of it were simply spellbinging but some of it didn't do much for me.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 3:23 pm

Thomond- very different- i made the point of showcasing Macca, it was about Macca not what he sounds like today(he is a legend in the trueset sense of the word). The chinese used a pretty girl to mine over a fat girl. We on the other hand used deaf singers to sing our anthem

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 28 Jul 2012, 3:27 pm

Deaf singers while great hasn't much to do with the point at hand I think. I'm guessing your argument is that the whole anthem thing is fake and wrong ( I agree with this) but is ther much difference if they had Macca miming? Obviously not as bad but it's a similar scenario.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 3:31 pm

The deaf singers wernt just deaf though, they were(how can i put this in a non confrontation pc way)..... Basically they wernt the perfcet model type performers. The chinese put a pretty girl to mine over a fat one. I have no probelm with anyone singing the national anthem at all.

Our Ceremony wasnt a hollywood soap it was more real. Some conservative called it far to left wing earlier. Well it may have been abit - but that is what i strive for!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 28 Jul 2012, 3:34 pm

I'm not talking about the anthem I'm talking about McCartney! I applaud them for the anthem choice and I imagine it was done superbly but that's not my gripe. You give out about the Chinese using mime and dubbing but you wanted it done for McCartney? Obvioulsy it's not as big a deal as the anthem but it's a similatr thing in my view.

It was indeed a great ceremony, parts were amazing but I wassn't drawn in by some parts.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 3:37 pm

At least the arctic monkies beatles track was performed very well- so thats something..

I cant think of a tougher thing to direct and produce if i am honest. So getting it that good on a budget is something. many were saying 4 years ago on 606(was it really that long ago). That we would be pathetic in comparison to beijing- but we wernt- so i am proud

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 28 Jul 2012, 4:49 pm

still watching this now - I am at the music section where Dizzie Rascal is singing (I think its him, I aint up on current music!)

I thought the opening with Kenneth Brannagh as Brunnel was simply stunning. One of the most incredible things I have ever seen and Ken was a perfect choice. I just wished they had done another hour of that instead of some of the stuff they have done since!

I thought the James Bond stuff was naff personally, as was the Mr Bean dream sequence (although I enjoyed the piano playing bit).

i have enjoyed the music bit as well - I am guessing the flags are next!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 28 Jul 2012, 4:58 pm

I'd skip the flags.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next