The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nervous

+11
anotherworldofpain
OzT
chewed_mintie
kiakahaaotearoa
AlastairW
Mr Fishpaste
aucklandlaurie
mowgli
Biltong
Taylorman
emack2
15 posters

Go down

Nervous Empty Nervous

Post by emack2 Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:11 pm

We come to the final chapter of the 4Ns,with both the Boks and AllBlacks coming off a big win.As always i`m nervous of the Boks at home I
really want an All Black win.The teams are picked the verbal mind games continue, BUT unlike in Dunedin no one is writing off the Boks this time.The difference is with Aron Smith and Dan Carter starting the AB `s backs have a real chance of clicking.The odds have swung the Boks way with the ref.Allain Rolland expect stop start.Lots of penalties and free kicks which will slow the game down i`ll bet money the Bok Goalkicking will be spot on.That Goosen will be able to take long range pots at Goal too all the Bok injuries talk was so much hot air.
Still think it is to close to call BUT if the AB`s get a good start they have the experience to close the game out.Altitude means that running flat out for 80 minutes means tired bodies in the last 20 minutes advantage Boks.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Nervous Empty Re: Nervous

Post by Taylorman Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:34 pm

I think Goosen will have been told to kick more and take the line on less- hes probably seen as a turnover risk though he's probably built of sturdier stuff than we think.

I think he'll hold up...just. But his newness to the side does put him in a position similar to previous newby's where the AB's have almost ended the career before it starts.

The altitude is a myth these days. So what if SA have an advantage in the 60-70 metre range? If it means Carter can push out to 55-60 dont see that as a bad thing and hes kicking better than any of the Bok kickers at the mo.

Run out of puff? Last match in Soweto it was the AB's that scored the two tries in the last 10 minutes going harder at the end so that adds to the myth. Also assuming the non high veldt players of the Bok sides are equally affected- their sea level air being the same as ours perhaps?

We play and win there sxv in some matches and theres not a lot of complaining there.

The bigest determination for the outcome of this game I think is how good the Aussies really were, and how much false confidence has it given SA, if any, because its certainly given the AB's the motivation.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:45 pm

Alan.

Firstly mate, not everything is smoke and mirrors, Pienaar will do the kicking this weekend. Secondly can't see why Rolland will be advantage Boks.

Taylorman.

At Soweto 2010 Morne Steyn kicked the ball away the whole last quarter, had two penalty kicks that didn't go out and fed the All Blacks, this time he isn't there.

I agree Goosen will be a little more circumspect and not run at every opportuntiy. The Boks won't have false confidence.

Lastly, I am tense, nervous, sweaty palms and short fuse with a sickening feeling at the pit of my stomach.

This must be our time.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:59 pm

this must be your time? laughing

Nah...the Blacks by a ton!!

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:05 am

Biltong wrote:Alan.

Firstly mate, not everything is smoke and mirrors, Pienaar will do the kicking this weekend. Secondly can't see why Rolland will be advantage Boks.

Taylorman.

At Soweto 2010 Morne Steyn kicked the ball away the whole last quarter, had two penalty kicks that didn't go out and fed the All Blacks, this time he isn't there.

I agree Goosen will be a little more circumspect and not run at every opportuntiy. The Boks won't have false confidence.

Lastly, I am tense, nervous, sweaty palms and short fuse with a sickening feeling at the pit of my stomach.

This must be our time.

Alans saying there will be penalties with Rolland, in SA's case more kickable ones...and stop start doesnt help with the AB's fast game as it relies on continuity, though, still an assumption I agree.

Not so nervous about this one as much as usual but very intrigued as to how SA will go. Funnily enough we're the more predictable ones this time round.

The biggest possible scenario that can come out of this match is if SA beat the AB's the same way they beat the Ozzies last week. That will send shivers through the entire rugby world and set a scene for a very combative future between the 2 sides.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:11 am

Who's going to kick those more kickable ones for SA?

Goosen is still struggling, hence the kicking going to Pienaar, Frans Steyn is not there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:26 am

Yeah I know...its based on a long held expectation that SA will get long range kicks regardless...

Once I get home from this yuk day at work then the tension will start to rise no doubt...actually been waiting for a SA side like this for a couple of years.

One things for sure Biltong...theyre on the right track. This young pack is going to be a monster in a year or two and if they develop some good solid flowing backplay SA will become the juggernaut I'm used to seeing in my nightmares a few years ago... Shocked Shocked Crying or Very sad ghost Run

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:49 am

Nervous, you bet.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Fri 05 Oct 2012, 6:21 am

The 'foreign teams run out of puff in the highveld' is also not really applicable, because the bulk of the boks come from the Sharks and Stormers - both coastal teams!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:01 am

emack2 wrote: ... with the ref.Allain Rolland.

Dammit! Sad

I was looking forward to this game as well.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

Rolland is supposed to be a stickler for the rules yet seems incapable of maintaining the offside line. Expect both teams to be well over the mark and less space to work with.

But don't worry Alan. Nerves are a good sign. We only get nervous about the things that matter to us. All the more reason to watch the game at a civilised hour this week with a drink in hand and a soft toy nearby to kick at when it all gets a bit too much to watch. RedWine

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:33 pm

Kia, you must be careful, I suspect GG may still frequent this forum, no talk of kicking soft toys...err pets, he put the SPCA onto me. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:44 pm

The Sth African I work with has rather proudly heralded to me that it is 99% set in stone that SA will smash us by 50 pts.

I wee’d myself after that

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:47 pm

dogs, no dogs!! Smile

SPCA??? Soft Pets???

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm

Biltong wrote:Kia, you must be careful, I suspect GG may still frequent this forum, no talk of kicking soft toys...err pets, he put the SPCA onto me. Whistle

I have some foxes in the garden that dig up things and keep destroying the European award winning planters of the encumbent Ms. Pain. You are welcome to come and shoot them from the balcony if things don't go your way.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 05 Oct 2012, 3:09 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:The Sth African I work with has rather proudly heralded to me that it is 99% set in stone that SA will smash us by 50 pts.

I wee’d myself after that
I am sure there were tears running down your cheeks from the laughter as well. Crying or Very sad
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 05 Oct 2012, 8:07 pm

Tell the man to get to the nearest bookies and put his money where his mouth is.A £100 will earn him severral thousands at least 5.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:40 pm

I like McCaws take on the contest:

The fact the Test was a dead rubber now that the Rugby Championship has been decided in the All Blacks favour would not detract from the contest.

"If you can't get excited for the Boks then you should be doing something else with you life really," he said.

No truer words have been spoken...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:51 pm

But it's still a dead rubber.....

It's a pity a 4N Grand Slam wasn't given more value and prominence than the nonsensical one they have against Britain and Ireland.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:52 pm

Well said by the fantastic captain. Looking forward to this game. It sucks to see the championship already wrapped up but I hope it's a good game anyway.

Morg's prediction; a nervy but stylish All Black win, allowing NZ to get the clean sweep. Then I can't see past this team slamming their NH tour. Hansen has inherited a good squad here.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:06 pm

Yes the thing about the 6N and the RC is that unlike the WCup theres no single moment where you have won the tournament. I mean we won the RC at some point last week when it became obvious Argie werent to going to beat us. But should we win tonight technically we won it once we'd beaten the Boks in Dunedin 3 weeks ago.

All I could think of last week after seeing McCaw holding up the trophy was the Bok match after seeing Oz get beaten.

Same could have happened with Wales last year if theyd not beaten France. Tournament winners but missing out on the GS.

I mean we could win all 6 but that wasnt the initial goal.

At least with a knockout tournament theres a defining moment. A point in time where the match ends and the celebrating begins.

Last week Hansen said "We'll enjoy the moment but tomorrow its straight to SA for a very tough match" sort of thing.

Compared to a 'world cup moment' its the proverbial kissing your sister comparison...We'll take it! ...but I just feel I missed out on the moment that we did... Headscratch

....or just this kiwi getting blase about these titles... Rolling Eyes

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm

Except it is that sort of thinking when sides play deliberately weak sides in an attempt to win a RWC.The attitude NOTHING else matters and that is sad and devalues the 3/4Ns.Something NO Bok or AllBlack side should ever do the precedent set stinks.I am glad for those concerned Bok and AB they won the title.BUT not at cost of deliberately throwing a tournament and I don`t think I am alone in my thinking.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 06 Oct 2012, 4:01 am

Just some interesting stat for you Alan, Rolland has officiated in 5 tests over Boks vs AB's, guess what the AB's won 4 of them.

Don't see the benefit now do you?

By the way apparently Goosen has been cleared to kick
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 06 Oct 2012, 4:10 am

Pot Hale wrote:But it's still a dead rubber.....

It's a pity a 4N Grand Slam wasn't given more value and prominence than the nonsensical one they have against Britain and Ireland.

Stop being so stupid! Its a TEST match it counts for everything. The dumbasses here who think that games that count for nothing in some league system need to mature and remember that in rugby union TEST matches are a competition in themselves. devil
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 06 Oct 2012, 7:33 am

Taylorman wrote:I like McCaws take on the contest:

The fact the Test was a dead rubber now that the Rugby Championship has been decided in the All Blacks favour would not detract from the contest.

"If you can't get excited for the Boks then you should be doing something else with you life really," he said.

No truer words have been spoken...

Spoken like a true king.

Jed Thian will be doing his very amusing brand of commentary for the game.

http://www.arcrugby.co.nz/

Live feed online is:

http://cargocollective.com/alternativerugbycommentary/1646981/Listen-Live

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 06 Oct 2012, 7:51 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Rolland is supposed to be a stickler for the rules yet seems incapable of maintaining the offside line. Expect both teams to be well over the mark and less space to work with.

But don't worry Alan. Nerves are a good sign. We only get nervous about the things that matter to us. All the more reason to watch the game at a civilised hour this week with a drink in hand and a soft toy nearby to kick at when it all gets a bit too much to watch. RedWine

Jeez Kia, you call 3.50am civilised?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 06 Oct 2012, 7:53 am

I have absolutely no clue as to what this post is about.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:03 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:

I have absolutely no clue as to what this post is about.

I think maybe he means it would be good to have a triple crown-esque trophy or something to play for...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:46 am

Hi,Biltong what a surprise?bruised heel my hat like PDV complete team sick home games 2011.The way Rolland refs is very stop start,and will break up the
ABs continuity,also the Boks if they go for the footrace.I`m to old and cynical to believe any coaches comments especially a Bok one.As predicted they are all magically fit,the same can`t be true of Romano if Retalick gets injured early.
Looks like something out of a frankenstein movie.Incidentally do you think compulsory scrum caps would reduce blood cut injuries.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:54 am

Alan, go ahead mate, see it your way.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:27 am

Just nerves Biltong I really want this one,but win or lose they`ve still done well.The Boks i`ve always said are ahead of the Curve injuries may have dictated it but with Bismarck,Pietersen,and Burger plus Morne Steyn you have a very good team.Make no mistake when Steyn is kicking his goals he`ll be back.Also hope Goosen does`nt have the running coached out of him,like happened to M.Steyn.HE was a runner in the beginnig and WINNING is more important to a Bok Coach than style.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 06 Oct 2012, 10:22 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Rolland is supposed to be a stickler for the rules yet seems incapable of maintaining the offside line. Expect both teams to be well over the mark and less space to work with.

Jeez Kia, you call 3.50am civilised?

For you mate it's pure decadence. It was 1-3am for me last week. Now the European time zone fits nicely with the SA time zone. But I was mistaken. I think it's 5pm here and 4pm for Alan.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

emack2 wrote:Hi,Biltong what a surprise?bruised heel my hat like PDV complete team sick home games 2011.The way Rolland refs is very stop start,and will break up the
ABs continuity,also the Boks if they go for the footrace.I`m to old and cynical to believe any coaches comments especially a Bok one.As predicted they are all magically fit,the same can`t be true of Romano if Retalick gets injured early.
Looks like something out of a frankenstein movie.Incidentally do you think compulsory scrum caps would reduce blood cut injuries.

The problem is that with the best rugby teams and best referees coming from SA and NZ, any contest between the two will invariably be presided over by an inferior referee. In my mind SA and NZ should get together and agree "the best" referee should preside rather than a "neutral" one. We could have Joubert as ref when SA play in NZ and Bryce Lawrence when NZ play in SA. Surely we'd all agree to that?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:16 pm

Fine by me AWOP, I'll even make sure Bryce is safe when he lands, I'll make room in my dungeon for him. angel
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down