The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+32
JeffCarnage
gaelgowfer
SpacemanSpiff
Caito
princedracula
goldwolf
GunsGerms
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
oldshanker
Doon the Water
Slowride
raycastleunited
super_realist
shudofhita4iron
Skydriver
1GrumpyGolfer
oldparwin
matelot golfer
barragan
Plunky
Hibbz
SmithersJones
dynamark
incontinentia
hend085
mystiroakey
McLaren
JAS
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
Diggers
36 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Of course there are shades of grey but ultimately nobody can be sent to jail for saying they would like to kiddy fiddle but won't as it's illegal and cannot include consent by definition.
They go to jail when they break the law by looking at images or worse acts. So what do you do, change the laws ? Having an open debate won't change the laws, it will still come down to the same thing.
So whether they are deemed evil by society or not is ultimately fairly irrelevant as far as I can see. The end game remains the same.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:15 am

Are you actually in favour of independence Gael? I suppose it doesnt surprise me given how much you affect your scottishness to a nauseating degree.

You are so far the only person on these boards that appears to agree with the notion.
Looks like suicide to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 am

super_realist wrote:Are you actually in favour of independence Gael? I suppose it doesnt surprise me given how much you affect your scottishness to a nauseating degree.

You are so far the only person on these boards that appears to agree with the notion.
Looks like suicide to me.

s_r, as a former 606 poster used to say ... "More think, less ink!".

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 am

kwinigolfer wrote:d4s,
If you're in Myrtle Beach, just talk to us about this hurricane . . . . .

Good to hear from you sir thumbsup

Hi kwini, been back from Myrtle Beach for 2 weeks, had a great time as always thanks Smile

Orkas are working well, got me round in 2 over par today, money well spent!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:29 am

d4s,
Did our HHI trek in June this year - as you say, tough to go wrong in either place.
Hope all is well in Stoneham country; your thread still going strong, despite possibilities for a civil war north of the border.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 am

Yes all well, still working across the road from Stoneham. I've joined a 2nd club, one I expect you will know well...... Hayling. Always been an ambition of mine to be a member of a links course.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:13 am

thumbsup Never played Hayling; by the time I got into golf I was pretty much in the US, just had a year living in Soton and played Stoneham when I could, others in the London area otherwise.
Sure I have long-ago friends there however . . . . .how's the course?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 am

Ask me next weekend after I've played in the monthly stableford! I joined a couple of weeks before going to MB so only played 1 round there so far. Been busy at Broadstone since I got back but looking forward to next weekend. Courses down here are still in good nick, further north is a different story though, flooding, snow....all sorts already and it's still October.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:52 am

Who says that dreams don't come true, just take James Busby 45th on the challenge tour list going into last weeks comp only the top 21 on the money list would get there full European Tour card, meaning he had to finish 1st or 2nd to get his tour card, so with rounds of 66, 67, 67 and a last round of 66 to secure joint 2nd place and push him into 15th place on the challenge tour and secure his tour card for next year.

Well done James and one worth watching next year. OK

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 pm

drive4show wrote:Ask me next weekend after I've played in the monthly stableford! I joined a couple of weeks before going to MB so only played 1 round there so far. Been busy at Broadstone since I got back but looking forward to next weekend. Courses down here are still in good nick, further north is a different story though, flooding, snow....all sorts already and it's still October.

You're back!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:12 pm

JAS wrote:
drive4show wrote:Ask me next weekend after I've played in the monthly stableford! I joined a couple of weeks before going to MB so only played 1 round there so far. Been busy at Broadstone since I got back but looking forward to next weekend. Courses down here are still in good nick, further north is a different story though, flooding, snow....all sorts already and it's still October.

You're back!!

Only until the admins p**s me off again Yahoo

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Lol!! Looks like you timed the Carolina trip well, would want to have been there at the moment :-/

Had a decent hack round St Pierre yesterday best round for about a month, how are you going?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:05 pm

"Only until the admins p**s me off again Yahoo"

laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:09 pm

At the risk of tempting fate, I'd say that we don't seem to have had any fallouts with the mods lately.

No need - we're perfectly capable of p***ing each other off, though it would seem.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Skydriver wrote:At the risk of tempting fate, I'd say that we don't seem to have had any fallouts with the mods lately.

No need - we're perfectly capable of p***ing each other off, though it would seem.

That's true...there's been a couple of quite "opinion polarising" debates recently...Trumps and Rory's nationality threads being good examples (although the Rory one got terminated for going "off topic")

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Skydriver wrote:At the risk of tempting fate, I'd say that we don't seem to have had any fallouts with the mods lately.

Very true, only takes a couple of threads about dress code, Scotland granting England independance, Donald and Westy winning half a dozen majors each or long putters to get things livened up a bit

Run

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:56 pm

JAS wrote:...Trumps and Rory's nationality threads being good examples ..

The Trump one in particular was like the blind arguing with the deaf about ballet. Whistle
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:
JAS wrote:...Trumps and Rory's nationality threads being good examples ..

The Trump one in particular was like the blind arguing with the deaf about ballet. Whistle

Aye indeed...who cares who built the ballet school as long as it has nice sprung floor!! Eh? What was that you said??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 am

drive4show wrote:

Very true, only takes a couple of threads about dress code, Scotland granting England independance, Donald and Westy winning half a dozen majors each or long putters to get things livened up a bit

Run

Nah, you need a post about exercising a dog whilst driving to get things really spicy..

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:36 am

Or.........Monty's chance of winning a Seniors Major.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 pm

New York declared a major disaster area.

Hope all our friends based in that part of the world are OK. Not sure who might be worst affected though - Plunky / Mr Plunky?

Stay safe,

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 pm

Sky,
Would also imagine Shotrock's Philadelphia and grumpy's Poconos could be in a bit of a mess.
Spent part of last evening watching prescient Springsteen youtubers:
Sandy
Atlantic City
Jersey Girl
Philadelphia
not to mention all the other odes to Asbury Park, the Boardwalk and Jersey!

Be good to get some eye-witness reports from our correspondents . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 pm

Pah, tis but a mere breeze. Played worse at St.Andrews

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 pm

Not when the bunkers are flooded and the fairways are rivers!

Would think Pine Valley, Winged Foot and Shinnecock would be among courses affected, perhaps NGL also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:42 am

Aye, it would be good to get a check in from Plunky, Shotrock et all...just to confirm they're ok.

The wind has clearly caused some damage but I guess the 12-13 foot storm surge has caused a helluva damage in the coastal areas

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:45 am

Bethpage? It didn't fare too well during a li'l storm during the US Open 3 years ago.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 am

We escaped relatively unscathed in the Poconos. Some minor damage to a fascia board on the roof at the back of the house. One piece of it ended up being blown over the roof to land by the front door.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:09 am

Golf clubs safe and sound, I hope Grumps?

Has the action moved on West of you now?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:38 am

One long night, sounded like a freight train around 9pm. Couple big trees down in the yard, thankfully none on the house or garage. Still have a leaning "widow maker" that will need to be attended to. Firewood for another year, at least.

No power yet, had to hit a hotel with the clan. Hopefully power back on in a day or two.

Hope all are OK.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:57 am

Super - I guarantee you never played St. Andrews or any course in the kind of wind I experienced last night! I bet I could have hit a 300 yard 9 iron at one point.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:40 am

Jesus H Christ, it's true what they say about yanks not getting sarcasm.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:48 am

Yeah, clubs are good. Not sure about the course, we have plenty of tree branch debris laying around.

Just seems a grey and miserable day at the moment.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:25 am

Super - Oh, I get humor and sarcasm, but given your nutty daily (hourly?) anti-Irish and more rants ... well, the benefit of the doubt long gone! Smile

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Have to say that was pretty scary for a while! We're not too close to the water so have no flooding at all. Lost power for a while but ok now. No cable though so no tv or phone or wifi. Not even 3G until a few minutes ago -- suspect we only have this sporadically. But we are so so lucky. Took a walk earlier and saw plenty of trees and power lines down -- some taking parts of homes with them. They've evacuated an entire town not too far from us because there's no power, no water, and no sanitation. Got to go now and write a few e-mails while I can !
Kwini, how's your son doing in Brooklyn ?

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Horrendous situation. Can't even begin to imagine how long it will take to put things right although I expect the americans will have well-rehearsed contingency plans.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:49 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:Horrendous situation. Can't even begin to imagine how long it will take to put things right although I expect the americans will have well-rehearsed contingency plans.

If they learned from Katrina, I'm sure the wealthy areas will be rebuilt rapidly, doubt the poorer areas will be though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Indeed Gael, i was in the Bahamas not long after hurricane Andrew 20 years ago and the destruction had to be seen to be believed, for that sort of destruction to hit major cities must be awful.

Good to hear you guys are all safe.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks Plunky,
The boy is fine, but he took a stroll down to the Barclays Center yesterday and couldn't believe the damage (mostly trees in unnatural positions) - and he ain't seen nuffink yet. He's all set to walk to work in Manhattan - seven miles, hope he can reconcile that to being nothing much more than 18 holes!
Glad you're safe. As said elsewhere, this storm could easily have a silver lining for the Tri-State area, infrastructure pretty antiquated (19th century)and this could cause a lot of improvements (at least to 20th century standards) quite apart from the economic stimulus.

gael, Think you can rest assured that there has been equal opportunity damage and would expect equal opportunity rehabilitation as such a huge proportion of the damage has been to public services rather than just homes.

Nothing like Katrina - there's high quality leadership on the ground quite apart from obvious other differences.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:24 am

I work in the WFC and my building is hoping to reopen tomorrow. If the long island railroad gets back on it's feet then I'll be heading into manhattan tomorrow and hoping i can walk down to the office ( dont know what streets may still be closed downtown so this could be an adventure). Company emails got back to normal last night so things are looking up ! We were supposed to have celebrate 10 years of being a public company tomorrow -- ringing the closing bell at the stock exchange, cocktails, dinner, etc. That's been cancelled due to " inclement weather" according to the email !

Will be checking out Bethpage at the weekend. Not on the water, so i'm expecting downed trees and a bit of a mess but no flooding. Long island got very little rain from sandy, just wind, but the gusts were incredible -- don't want to go through that again.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 am

gael, Think you can rest assured that there has been equal opportunity damage and would expect equal opportunity rehabilitation as such a huge proportion of the damage has been to public services rather than just homes.

Nothing like Katrina - there's high quality leadership on the ground quite apart from obvious other differences..
kwinigolfer

Thanks for the reassurance kwini but I think you'll find it was the world's most negative poster who had expressed criti ... concerns. Erm

Plunky ... don't forget yer wellies!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 am

To change the subject somewhat and to have a proper old mans moan....has anyone ever been in one of the Hollister or Abercrombie and Felch shops ? I dont mind a few of the things they sell but the problem is you literally cant see anything, know its kind of a night club vibe, pumping tunes included. Surely when you go shopping you need to be able to have a look at what you want to buy, or am I just being awkward and needy ?
On the plus side there were several young girls in there only wearing bikinis so it wasnt all bad.......

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 am

Dig - Yes! Although I'll stick to the Abercrombie side if that's the other side!

No real idea if the stuff looks good or not in there (I guess it's clearly not designed for me then!). I'm sure the hollister I went in didn't have any prices either (if you have to ask you can't afford it etc etc).

But yes, the young, beautiful crowd do seem to frequent!

I'll just go back to the car park with me humbugs and listen to radio 2.

In a similar vein, when is one duty bound to only shop for M&S Blue Harbour?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:02 am

Some pretty significant damage in NYC and the Jersey Shore. Father-in-law not allowed to return to his house (barrier island on NJ Shore), and who knows what it will be like when he gets there.

No power at home, and the energy company says 11/4, yet my next door neighbor never lost power!

On the (much) less important golf front, tree damage at our course will cause it to be closed until Saturday.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 am

Good to know that you are all safe. The death rate seems very low compared to the damage.
Also good to see the political parties working together so near the election.
I don't think that would happen in the UK.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:18 am

'Course, it's in State's best interests to work closely with the Federal Government, which is the reason Mississippi got boatloads of Federal support after Katrina but Louisiana was largely left to fend for itself . . . .

Shotrock,
Why is your power out? Trees fallen on powerlines? Better emigrate to CNY or VT.

We're steadily burying our lines, something most of the rest of the world did fifty years ago. Baffling why above-ground lines are tolerated in this day and age.

Having said that, we have wooden sewer lines in parts of the City . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:23 am

Kwin - Buried near the house, but there are plenty of above ground power lines that were affected. CNY in a minute, but I would be spending my life in an airport, given the business climate up there. VT sounds great!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 am

best marketing stratergy ever!!!

It almost makes me wanna buy one

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-01-sony-ad-compares-playstation-vita-to-a-woman-with-four-breasts

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:43 am

Shotrock wrote:Some pretty significant damage in NYC and the Jersey Shore. Father-in-law not allowed to return to his house (barrier island on NJ Shore), and who knows what it will be like when he gets there.

No power at home, and the energy company says 11/4, yet my next door neighbor never lost power!

On the (much) less important golf front, tree damage at our course will cause it to be closed until Saturday.

Bethpage hopes to open 9 holes (out of a possible 5 x 18) by sometime next week. The recorded message said 587 trees came down! If we ever get enough petrol to drive out there again we probably won't recognize it. Sad

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Plunks,
Sounds like there's a nor-easter steaming towards you (us?) - if that hits, nine holes might be optimistic.

Keep safe down there,

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:13 pm

I heard that too. No offense Kwini but we're hoping upper new England will take it for the team ! Whistle

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks very much Plunky Wink
Strangely, no-one's summoned our National Guard for help yet - they've pretty much been stood down. You'd think that with their Irene experience behind them, they'd be of assistance, but no!
Think we can take a modest little storm (nothing much bigger, mind), we'll gladly make that tiny sacrifice; bring it on . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next