The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+32
JeffCarnage
gaelgowfer
SpacemanSpiff
Caito
princedracula
goldwolf
GunsGerms
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
oldshanker
Doon the Water
Slowride
raycastleunited
super_realist
shudofhita4iron
Skydriver
1GrumpyGolfer
oldparwin
matelot golfer
barragan
Plunky
Hibbz
SmithersJones
dynamark
incontinentia
hend085
mystiroakey
McLaren
JAS
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
Diggers
36 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Of course there are shades of grey but ultimately nobody can be sent to jail for saying they would like to kiddy fiddle but won't as it's illegal and cannot include consent by definition.
They go to jail when they break the law by looking at images or worse acts. So what do you do, change the laws ? Having an open debate won't change the laws, it will still come down to the same thing.
So whether they are deemed evil by society or not is ultimately fairly irrelevant as far as I can see. The end game remains the same.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:39 pm

That is so cheap. did you get a drink with that!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Diggers wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:sewage treatment - oh dear sr... you have made me imagine Diggers straining on the toilet!

Questionable as to which of us finds this comment more disturbing really. You for having the thoughts or me now imagining you having the thoughts...... Headscratch

embrace the dark side once in a while

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Mysti - One other part of the NYC food experience I would recommend: Katz's Deli or the Second Avenue Deli ... not haute cuisine, but some excellent Jewish food.

And Mark Twain said it best: "Moderation in all things, including moderation."

Have fun.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:44 pm

mystiroakey wrote:That is so cheap. did you get a drink with that!

No, I never fizzy drinks anyway. Have a bottle of sugar free Robinsons apple and blackberry squash back at the office. Much nicer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:45 pm

nice Srock- I will note it down on my new york map

got that idea from mac!!! he is actually usfull sometimes

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:48 pm

I am also addicted to diet coke.. bad i know..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:50 pm

So Mysti, fags, diet coke and hopelessly addicted to believing Westy will still run away with a major one day. You're a lost cause mate.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:52 pm

yep thats me!!

Come on Westy!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:06 pm

I do chuckle when I see a fat knacker clutching a diet coke and getting in the lift to go up two flights.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Its as if you see that scenario alot sr!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Its his Dad Mysti.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Laugh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:13 pm

You can't avoid it Oakey. UK is full of fat deluded bar stewards who believe a diet coke is their salvation from a life of fatness

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Good calories ... bad calories? Has (good/bad) cholesteral gone out of fashion then? Rolling Eyes

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 pm

super_realist wrote:Navy, I don't think you are getting the point. Taxing by calorie wouldn't work because all calories are not equal. Well they are in the sense of the energy that each has, however, it's easier to get energy from certain foods than others, and the energy not released as energy can become stored as fat. So you might take in the same amount of calories as someone on a healthier diet, but because your body can't process it as easily, less energy is released and your net balance is skewed and you put on weight.

If you changed your current diet from what it is to an equivalent calorie level in Mars Bars or Lard, you'd put on weight.

S_R. Sorry, but you're talking clap-trap. If I need 2500 calories a day to maintain my weight, it makes sod all difference where they come from. You can't exist on a diet of solely Mars Bars/lard because you'd get all sorts of deficiencies.
A bit of biochemistry for you. Sugar (i.e. sucrose or even glucose) is a primary energy source. The brain (with rare exceptions) must use glucose as an energy source so we have to maintain circulating glucose for the brain, if nothing else. If you don't have enough glucose from the diet, you'll make it via de novo synthesis from gluconeogenic precursors, some of which are derived from fat or protein. The need for glucose is what drives our potential energy stores to be used in the order, sugar then protein then fat. If I have no glucose, I'll burn protein and fat. If you need energy, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Question: how is it you think that the Atkins Diet works? After all, the intake is almost pure fat in various forms. I'm waiting....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:34 pm

super_realist wrote:Exactly, it's not as easy as people think. If you are into cardio vascular sport you know about stuff like that. A couple of meals of poor quality calorie sources soon affects performance.

By and large though, a steady calorie intake to exercise programme results in a healthy person.
Laugh "Poor quality calories"????? I know you're fit (at least you say you are) but this is nonsense. You're confusing things such as the rate at which energy is released from foodstuffs (and which order the differing foods are metabolised) with 'healthy'.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:Good calories ... bad calories? Has (good/bad) cholesteral gone out of fashion then? Rolling Eyes
No, the good/bad cholesterol hasn't gone out of fashion but it's not referring to dietary cholesterol i.e. cholesterol ingested as part of your diet.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:40 pm

nbs your getting wrapped up in nonsense here mate, its kinda clear what is being said and meant. you are probally theoritically correct though...but you are arguing symatics..

Soon enough we will be going to a deli and asking for stuff in realtion to amount of calories.. "oh can i have 250 calories woth of turkey please"

Last edited by mystiroakey on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 pm

super_realist wrote:You can't avoid it Oakey. UK is full of fat deluded bar stewards who believe a diet coke is their salvation from a life of fatness

yeah maybe!!

but tbh i think diet coke has some kind of addictive formula in it!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Navy, I'm not confusing anything. If you took 10 foods all with the same amount of calories but with different levels ti which your body can deal with those calories then you'll struggle to burn them the calories in the worst if the foods.

If you don't know the value of different types of food I don't really care, I'm fit, thin and healthy. Certain grumpy Scots battleaxes are round, unsightly and portly.

Atkins works due to the absence of carbs. Though you'd have to be desperate amd already a fat git to try it. It's protein energy which is easier to fragment with than fat laden carbs.

By and large 2500 from a balanced diet combined with exercise will see you right, 2500 from questionable fat laden carbs and you might find it difficult after a while.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:00 pm

there is no might about it SR, you feel lathargic in mind body and soul!

the fact is i am struggling to work out what thisargument is all about- but i think the fact is if people worry less about need to worry less about calroies' and more about fresh decent food(that is balanced) and eat at the right times- they will all be better off.

That link i posted last night, is from a trailor trash reality show..

they were cooking dinner!

they made the spagetthi!

the sauce consisted of loads of butter and tomato sauce- microwaved together!!

drop me out!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Just watched that clip Mysti. I know its easy to say only in America but I reckon plenty of families in the UK are just as bad, those kids dont really have a chance do they. They are gonna grow up with obesity and diabeteslooming over them, mind you guess thats the norm.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:08 pm

super_realist wrote:Navy, I'm not confusing anything. If you took 10 foods all with the same amount of calories but with different levels ti which your body can deal with those calories then you'll struggle to burn them the calories in the worst if the foods.

If you don't know the value of different types of food I don't really care, I'm fit, thin and healthy. Certain grumpy Scots battleaxes are round, unsightly and portly.

Atkins works due to the absence of carbs. Though you'd have to be desperate amd already a fat git to try it. It's protein energy which is easier to fragment with than fat laden carbs.

By and large 2500 from a balanced diet combined with exercise will see you right, 2500 from questionable fat laden carbs and you might find it difficult after a while.
I should leave this discussion now. This is demonstrable nonsense. I don't normally shout the odds in this way but I'm a Biochemist by way of a living. I've held a Ph.D. in the subject since '93 and I work in an institute who have an international reputation in human, whole body and sports physiology research.

Atkins has nothing to do with an absence of carbs. Not a single, solitary thing. It burns fat (even though that's all you eat) because it forces the body's metabolism to both burn the fat you eat and convert the fat you have sorted in adipose tissue to glucose and other fuels that tissues such as the brain have to use.

By all means continue to believe in nonsense and quack 'facts'.

mysiroakey wrote:nbs your getting wrapped up in nonsense here mate, its kinda clear what is being said and meant. you are probally theoritically correct though...but you are arguing symatics..
No, it's not semantics and I'm clear as crystal on what's correct and what's not here. The distinction between which fuel types are utilised first etc and whether they're healthy is pretty important to what's being said here. The relationship between that and whether something is 'healthy' and something that's not doesn't even exist.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : "than"? "that"? What's in a letter?!)
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:11 pm

mystiroakey wrote:there is no might about it SR, you feel lathargic in mind body and soul!

the fact is i am struggling to work out what thisargument is all about- but i think the fact is if people worry less about need to worry less about calroies' and more about fresh decent food(that is balanced) and eat at the right times- they will all be better off.

That link i posted last night, is from a trailor trash reality show..

they were cooking dinner!

they made the spagetthi!

the sauce consisted of loads of butter and tomato sauce- microwaved together!!

drop me out!
picard

Even that clip isn't so bad from a food point of view. Pasta is fine, butter is OK and ketchup isn't so bad. Just because they put it together like they did and look like people from South Park doesn't necessarily mean it's that bad.

If they'd been Italian and served spaghetti with a butter and tomato sauce I doubt you'd bat an eyelid.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:15 pm

I don't know much about food or the hierarchy of energy sources in the human body, but I know what I like.

Tonight I'm going to a Thai restaurant.

Yummy.

Sorry, but I can't add much more than that to the debate!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:46 pm

nbs are you actually for real. that is pure fat mixed with low quality sugary salty ketchup. I am sorry but that is the most disgustingly fatty over sugary combination i have ever heard of! apart from that it is disgusting. We are clearly from different worlds

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Somebody once told me that food calories settle somewhere (usually on your hips), but that booze calories just whizz around your body. I don't care if that makes sense or not -- I choose to believe it ! RedWine Ale

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Diggers wrote:Just watched that clip Mysti. I know its easy to say only in America but I reckon plenty of families in the UK are just as bad, those kids dont really have a chance do they. They are gonna grow up with obesity and diabeteslooming over them, mind you guess thats the norm.

its kind off sad, but hey supposedly they are happy!!(well thats what many people say from watching the show!)

I cant say its much worse than gets getting feed oven chips and nuggets like our chavs live on.

but i was physally wretching watching that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Knew of a middle-aged portly male who went on the Atkins diet and the weight just fell off him. Trouble was, because his carbohydrate intake was so small, he felt hungry all the time. Needless to say ...

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Plunky wrote:Somebody once told me that food calories settle somewhere (usually on your hips), but that booze calories just whizz around your body. I don't care if that makes sense or not -- I choose to believe it ! RedWine Ale

Love it Plunky, don't care if it's true or not. I would imagine that booze calories whizz around your head for a while then make a collective stampede for your bladder :-D

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Casting aside the calorie discussions of today and back to yesterdays musical discourse...

Who remembers the Bangles? Check out Susannah Hoffs these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoAFzv-qEKQ&feature=player_detailpage[url][/url]

Still would!! Matured like a good Bordeaux Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Thank you JAS - I checked it out and liked it enough to add to my Grooveshark lists - well worth it.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:45 pm

mystiroakey wrote:nbs are you actually for real. that is pure fat mixed with low quality sugary salty ketchup...
And? For real? Yes, obviously! As I said, if it was presented as spaghetti with a butter and tomato sauce, you wouldn't bat an eyelid. Plenty of butter used in most of the great French sauces. Pasta? What's wrong with pasta? Pretty sure I heard that sporty people like pasta. The TK I'll give you somewhat - it's a bit sugary but there's not a lot wrong with it.
What isn't said in the video is whether they eat the same every day etc etc.
To be fair, I'm being a pedantic re. the lovely spaghetti but it's not as bad as is made out. I wouldn't want to eat it the way it's shown in the video clip.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:47 pm

JAS wrote:Casting aside the calorie discussions of today and back to yesterdays musical discourse...

Who remembers the Bangles? Check out Susannah Hoffs these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoAFzv-qEKQ&feature=player_detailpage[url][/url]

Still would!! Matured like a good Bordeaux Wink
Yeah. Have to say, Hoffs was a bit of alright.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:40 am

Navy, if reading books or journals aided you in gaining your phd I suspect super will not consider it legitimate. Only knowledge which just pops into your head counts in his eyes.

And by the way navy, some of the best posts ever from you in the last few pages. So happy to see super burned by his total ignorance yet again.

Super..............

.........super?

.............. super?

where are you?

Oh yeah, that's right. You just lost an argument in the most humiliating fashion ever on v2.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:19 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:nbs are you actually for real. that is pure fat mixed with low quality sugary salty ketchup...
And? For real? Yes, obviously! As I said, if it was presented as spaghetti with a butter and tomato sauce, you wouldn't bat an eyelid. Plenty of butter used in most of the great French sauces. Pasta? What's wrong with pasta? Pretty sure I heard that sporty people like pasta. The TK I'll give you somewhat - it's a bit sugary but there's not a lot wrong with it.
What isn't said in the video is whether they eat the same every day etc etc.
To be fair, I'm being a pedantic re. the lovely spaghetti but it's not as bad as is made out. I wouldn't want to eat it the way it's shown in the video clip.

it isnt a tomato sauce is it it- it is ketchup!!

who said there is anything wrong with pasta-= i eat it loads- but when i make a sauce i use tinned tomatoes and onions and stuff- and its so easy- yet decent food!!

not ketchup and butter- off course we can use butter in certain sauces- i do alot of cooking.But That is sick!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:21 am

Mac your beiing an idiot there mate.. NBS at best is on some pedantic mission at the moment- at best arguing symatics..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:03 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:navy ... you seem to be confusing the upper classes with the burgeoning middle class which rose out of the growing industrialision of Britain who made up the vast majority of the officer class. They suffered terribly and enjoyed a particularly short shelf life at the front.

Not sure that I am. I don't equate Bowes-Lyon et al with a burgeoning middle class. The classes of Eton were decimated and that would include a lot of the scions of the traditional upper classes.
It's a moot point anyway really - there'll always be shirkers because they're either connected or rich and can avoid what the rest have to endure.

Yes you are. I never suggested for one moment that all members of the landed gentry used their privileged positions to avoid front line duty but those Eton classes to which you refer were made up mostly from sons of the upwardly mobile middle classes. Think about it; there is no way the growing independent school system could be supported only by boys from the landed gentry. There simply weren't enough of them.

When I read this article in the Sunday Times I was, at first, surprised that such a high proportion managed to wangle rear line positions but then when I thought about it, it kind of made sense that the families of the large estates would do whatever was necessary to ensure the family name lived on.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:09 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Mac your beiing an idiot there mate.. NBS at best is on some pedantic mission at the moment- at best arguing symatics..
Don't be a plank. There's nothing semantic in what I've said. You always say I'm arguing semantics when you don't get what I'm talking about!
You're right re. the spaghetti, butter and TK. It's not great but it's not as bad, nutritionally, as is being made out. As I said before, if they ate that occasionally, what's the issue? If they eat it every day? That's another matter.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:15 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:Yes you are. I never suggested for one moment that all members of the landed gentry used their privileged positions to avoid front line duty but those Eton classes to which you refer were made up mostly from sons of the upwardly mobile middle classes. Think about it; there is no way the growing independent school system could be supported only by boys from the landed gentry. There simply weren't enough of them.

When I read this article in the Sunday Times I was, at first, surprised that such a high proportion managed to wangle rear line positions but then when I thought about it, it kind of made sense that the families of the large estates would do whatever was necessary to ensure the family name lived on.

Could you cite your Sunday Times article please.
Look, let's not argue about something this pointless? Officers were disproportionately annihilated in WW1, many of them were the traditional nobility and I daresay, many of them were the sons of the new industrialists. Some wealthy toffs undoubtedly avoided serving via contacts etc and some industrialists' offspring undoubtedly did likewise. None of this really affects my conjecture that Dubya skipped the draft for Vietnam via his family contacts.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 am

The danes have given up on the fat tax;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20280863

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=37223
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20