The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield

+78
ironrobson21
clivemcl
yappysnap
LondonTiger
whocares
mattygoat
Pot Hale
RogerLewis
wales606
nathan
Notch
thebluesmancometh
EnglishReign
eirebilly
KickAndChase
Cari
Duty281
alive555
Impossible Standards
mystiroakey
kingjohn7
Morgannwg
EST
RubyGuby
emack2
anotherworldofpain
lostinwales
Tattie Scones RRN
Hound_of_Harrow
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ghad
IanBru
NeilyBroon
Biltong
justified sinner
caz
TJ1
Rugby Fan
Dorothy_Mantooth
UlstermaninGlasgow
R!skysports
gregortree
jimbopip
ChequeredJersey
George Carlin
MacKnocked-on
beshocked
nganboy
westisbest
Taylorman
blackcanelion
reallybored
Cryptoyourisan
sensisball
Captain_Sensible
tigertattie
GLove39
Scot Abroad
Pat_Mustard
EWT Spoons
aucklandlaurie
SlipperyAsAWetTrout
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Tramptastic
21st Century Schizoid Man
bsando
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
kiakahaaotearoa
Manky-Flanker
Looseheaded
nickj
bluestonevedder
Majestic83
RuggerRadge2611
RDW
disneychilly
cp10
82 posters

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield - Page 3 Empty Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield

Post by cp10 Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland team:

Backs: S Hogg, S Lamont, N De Luca, M Scott, T Visser, G Laidlaw, M Blair

Forwards: Grant, Ford, Cross, Gray, Hamilton, Strokosch, Rennie, Brown (capt).

Subs: S Lawson, A Jacobsen, K Traynor, A Kellock, D Denton, H Pyrgos, R Jackson, M Evans

All Black squad :

15 - Israel Dagg
14 - Cory Jane
13 - Ben Smith
12 - Tamati Ellison
11 - Julian Savea
10 - Daniel Carter
9 - Piri Weepu

8 - Victor Vito
7 - Richie McCaw (c)
6 - Adam Thomson
5 - Sam Whitelock
4 - Luke Romano
3 - Owen Franks
2 - Andrew Hore
1 - Wyatt Crockett

Reserves:
16 - Dane Coles
17 - Tony Woodcock
18 - Ben Franks
19 - Ali Williams
20 - Sam Cane
21 - Tawera Kerr-Barlow
22 - Beauden Barrett
23 - Ma'a Nonu

Two new caps : Kerr-Barlow and Dane Coles

Last edited by cp10 on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:33 am; edited 4 times in total

cp10

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield

Post by nganboy Mon 29 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm

Isn't it interesting how many relatively inexperienced players are in the team.
2 totally new boys in Coles and Kerr Barlow.
14 new this year boys or (been around but not many games) in Faumina, Crockett, Romano, Retallick, Cane, Messam, Vito, Smith, Barrett, Cruden, Ellison, Gear, Savea, Smith.

In fact that would make a pretty good NZ A team wouldn't it! Front row bit dodgy.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:07 am

Slightly off topic but some interesting comments from Dodson at a press conference recently:

He has openly come out saying Edinburgh's performances are unacceptable and need to get better. Also said how the SRU missed out on a deal with Sky this season because Edinburgh's start to the season was so bad. That's fairly depressing news!

Sean Maitland was brought over outside of the Glasgow budget - i.e. the SRU are paying for him and it is not in Glasgow's budget. That means that he wasn't sent to Glasgow because Edinburgh had spent all their budget, and the SRU had decided that he was better suited for Glasgow.

Seems strange to me with the number of quality wingers at Glasgow compared to Edinburgh, but I would say that wouldn't I!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:13 am

It is strange that he has gone to Glasgow, their books are stuffed with classy wingers and back 3 players, Hogg, DTH, Seymore, Rory & Sean Lamont etc.

I suppose Edinburgh aren't too shabby either with Visser, Jones, Tonks, Brown but after that we are looking a little thin on the ground.

Not sure I'm all that bothered about Edinburgh not getting a deal with Sky TV. I'm not a sky customer and to be honest I'm happy with watching the games I can't get too on BBC Alba.

Besides it's funny watching the games on BBC Alba. A penalty is called a penus. So the commentator is constantly shouting "Penus a Glasgow/Edinburgh". It makes me chuckle.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:16 am

I'm not bothered about the Sky deal falling through because I wanted to watch it on TV - it's the investment that would have been good to get.

That's the cold hard reality of pro rugby that I hope the players now understand - if they perform badly Scottish rugby loses out in investment, meaning less money, meaning their contracts might not be renewed.

Read recently that Ben Atiga is on a one year deal - he definitely has a lot to do to persuade people that he's worth holding on to!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:24 am

When is the captain announced?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:39 am

Surely Brown will Captain?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:40 am

beshocked wrote:When is the captain announced?

It will be Kelly B I hope, I also hope his Sarries winning mind set comes with him!

Ford was under no illusions he was just holding the torch untill Kelly Brown recovered.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:12 am

Grant Shiells has been added to the training squad – apparently Ryan Grant, Jacobsen and Corss all have various injuries but are expected to be available to play vs NZ.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:13 am

We really are struggling with props - watch out radge, you might get a call up soon!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:19 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:We really are struggling with props - watch out radge, you might get a call up soon!

Well I am in the best shape of my life mate! Although it's been over 5 years since I have played a competative match. When I say competative I mean anything above the 2nd XV thumbsup

To be fair, if chunk can pull on one of those skin tight jerseys and take the field I don't see why I can't!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:24 am

Having said that though would I enjoy packing down against any of this lot?

Wyatt Crockett
Charlie Faumuina
Ben Franks
Owen Franks
Tony Woodcock

As the All Blacks finish their haka I would almost certainly need to pick something up from my car. Run

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:29 am

I'll take em on!

I'm no a feardie like radge! boxing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:46 am

They are all yours bud!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:28 am

smuggle a sgian dubh in your socks and then give them a Glasgow kiss as a welcome to scotland gesture. Mr McCaw would be a lot more passive in the rucks from that point on...

edit: ive just realised how sinister this sounds. Its a joke. honest.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:43 am

Captain will be announced tomorrow.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Captain will be announced tomorrow.

Thanks for answering the question OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:57 am

Oi!

Stop answering questions, get back to providing off topic nonsensical banter please!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:03 pm

OK, OK, sorry!

How about:

People who would stand as much chance against the ABs as Kyle Traynor?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

I notice Sir Chris Hoy will be at the All Blacks game, he could probably prop better than some of our regular 'experts', bound to have stronger legs.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:22 pm

I'd suggest Andy Murray's Mum for the front row (I won't say which position). She is the most terrifying person in Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:57 pm

you suggesting as a lady of the night?

For shame FES, for shame!!!

I'd put Alec Salmond in as a crash ball inside centre. Although this would make me cheer for the other team each time he got dump tackled!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:58 pm

I like the General Salmond idea. Like it very much!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 30 Oct 2012, 6:32 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:smuggle a sgian dubh in your socks and then give them a Glasgow kiss as a welcome to scotland gesture. Mr McCaw would be a lot more passive in the rucks from that point on...

Dave, A few before you have thought of and tried that idea, But my curiosity gets me , What on earth is a sgian dubh?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 30 Oct 2012, 6:50 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Slightly off topic but some interesting comments from Dodson at a press conference recently:

He has openly come out saying Edinburgh's performances are unacceptable and need to get better. Also said how the SRU missed out on a deal with Sky this season because Edinburgh's start to the season was so bad. That's fairly depressing news!

Sean Maitland was brought over outside of the Glasgow budget - i.e. the SRU are paying for him and it is not in Glasgow's budget. That means that he wasn't sent to Glasgow because Edinburgh had spent all their budget, and the SRU had decided that he was better suited for Glasgow.

Seems strange to me with the number of quality wingers at Glasgow compared to Edinburgh, but I would say that wouldn't I!

I dont know if you guys know it but when a New Zealand players agent is trying to put together a contract for a New Zealand player in Scotland, much of the negotiations and agreed upon terms are between the player and the SRU as they are with the particular club (Glasgow, Edinburgh), Ireland operate in similar manner, personally I think its prudent on Scotlands part, as it controls the type/position of players coming into your squads, it can leave opportunity for your young Scottish players, and all parties get to have a chat with Sean Lineen.... I just dont know what happened when some one signed up Ben Atiga.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:10 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:smuggle a sgian dubh in your socks and then give them a Glasgow kiss as a welcome to scotland gesture. Mr McCaw would be a lot more passive in the rucks from that point on...

Dave, A few before you have thought of and tried that idea, But my curiosity gets me , What on earth is a sgian dubh?

It's a wee knife you keep in your sock when wearing a kilt!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Literally, small black knife, laurie OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SlipperyAsAWetTrout Wed 31 Oct 2012, 12:00 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Literally, small black knife, laurie OK

The thing is about the sgian dubh, it is never to be drawn for trivial or mundane purposes and must taste blood before it can be re-sheathed, even if that means nicking one's own finger...
SlipperyAsAWetTrout
SlipperyAsAWetTrout

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:17 am

So are the socks you wear when youve got your sgian dubh and your wearing a kilt, are they anything like rugby socks?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:51 am

Glad I found this thread just as it descended into the Bonkers Basement.

Nganboy - to answer your question, yes it is a relatively inexperienced ABs side but that's really just a comment about how long they kept their core team together over the past 5 years (with devastating results for whomever played against them).

I am quite certain that all of the new lads will get a run-out against Italy and most of them will against us. Surprising to see Weepu and Williams in there - coach's personal picks, no doubt - it's the only possible explanation as neither deserves to be there on form.

I don't understand what the fuss is about Kerr-Barlow travelling - I think that he's had a great season. I also poo myself when I see a back three comprising any of Jane, Gear, Savea and Dagg - just an astonishing amount of talent. Cannot believe how good Savea is for someone who's about 12 years old or something silly.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:58 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
So are the socks you wear when youve got your sgian dubh and your wearing a kilt, are they anything like rugby socks?
Laurie - it's an interesting one and the sgian dubh is actually an official exemption from the Knives Act which means that anyone in Scotland (I think ) is allowed to carry it as part of a full highland dress.

The big woolly knee length socks that you wear with a kilt are held up by elasticated flashes and you are supposed to tuck the knife into the sock so that the gemstone in the top of the handle shows. They're like rugby socks, but less partisan and a lot warmer and less suitable for getting sopping wet.

Wearing a sgian dubh there comes from the tradition that when you entered a friend's house, you would give up all your weapons apart from your stabbing dagger which was usually held in a sling under the armpit (the reference to 'black' in the name, in addition to the bog oak that the handle was made from, also refers to the fact that the knife was usually concealed). You weren't worried about the host - rather an intervention by someone else coming inside unexpectedly. As a mark of respect to your host, you kept this last weapon but tucked it into your sock so that you both could see it.

True. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:27 am

another thought about the sgian dubh is that it was placed in your left sock. This was for devious antics where you would shake the hand of a foe (being all smiles and niceness) then you would draw said weapon and stab them in the exposed side where you would puncture a lung and cause death.

So, never shake hands with a man in a kilt!

It caught out many and englishman!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:57 am

Right slightly off the current topic, but great news, SRU announces on Facebook that they've now sold over 62,000 tickets for the NZ game

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:59 am

Were we ever on topic??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 31 Oct 2012, 12:41 pm

Ok Ok Ok, if we are going back to actually talking about this match

Anyone heard anything about the captain yet?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 31 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm

ah, just saw

Broon

Good shout imo
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 12:44 pm

Tattie - yes, his Kellybrows will be captain:
http://www.scottishrugby.org/content/view/3211/2/
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 31 Oct 2012, 1:05 pm

Tremendous shout - hopefully that means a nice balanced backrow unit of Brown-Barclay/Rennie-Doze - good news. And Fordy can just concentrate on doing his hookery type things!

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 1:19 pm

Cannot argue with this Kelly Brown is without a doubt Scotland's best player and fully deserves this.

He'll certainly lead by example.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 31 Oct 2012, 1:21 pm

Really chuffed. He is an inspirational guy. All credit to him. It takes balls to do interviews when you're recovering from a stutter like he is.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 31 Oct 2012, 1:31 pm

Well done Kelly. Next up, Lions Captaincy...

I told you all!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 31 Oct 2012, 1:32 pm

Robbo in making the right decision shocker Shocked

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 31 Oct 2012, 1:51 pm

Re sgian dubh: when Mrs Pip went into purdah just before the wedding her last words were, "I've organised everything except the organist and the outfits for yourself and best man. Can I trust you to get that right? Anything but a kilt, OK?" Two minutes before she arrived to glide serenely down the aisle BM and self are standing there in full Royal Stewart regalia wondering what the feck happend to the keyboards chappie when thankfully he sauntered in "for a wee practice on the organ,father". At the reception MrsP, as she had become, told me that if I didn't start closing my legs when sitting in kilt she would show the assembled guests a whole new use for the sgian dubh. Happy days indeed.
P.S. when I finally got to see the AB's at Murrayfield I couldn't get over what cheating bandits they were. Lets hope for a referee with cojones next week.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:Robbo in making the right decision shocker Shocked

I know - quite remarkable really. In fact the whole selection process for these AIs has been relatively uncontroversial so far. Where are Nikki Walker and Hugo Southwell for heaven's sake?? Southwell has captaincy experience at Wasps - let's get him back at inside centre. He was awesome there..........

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:55 pm

GLove39 wrote:Right slightly off the current topic, but great news, SRU announces on Facebook that they've now sold over 62,000 tickets for the NZ game

Geez that was quick...imagine what those 62,000 could be telling their grandkids about what happened that day in years to come...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:35 pm

Good Morning guys.

tigertattie, Jimbo, George C, Asbo, Slipperyas, RDW Scotland.

When you come from a "young" country like NZ, which has very little history or tradition from a European point of view, little snippets like the sgian dubh are utterly brilliant, you are so lucky.

Perhaps when the ABs do the Haka the Scots should be allowed to carry a sgian dubh, and just reply with a staunch stare at the Kiwis in the tone of "Have we got a surprise for you". or even better the front row could stand there with a caber and let it be suggested to the New Zealanders "So lets see how good you go with one of these up yer".

I learnt something here.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:48 pm

You're welcome Laurie.

If we were being really traditional, the Scots team would respond to the haka by draining a bottle of Buckfast, shout "seemepalseeyouah'mgonnaehuvyouyabass", vomit on their boots and promptly get poured into the back of a passing police car with Andy Robinson driving.

Maybe I was in Glasgow for too long.

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:51 pm

Maybe the Scots should call an Armistice at HT.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:08 pm

Maybe we could have a halftime treaty,

We will swap you a tighthead prop, a first 5/8th, and an attacking coach for all the Drambuie that we can fit on the plane.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:21 pm

We will swap you Kyle Traynor for a Terry's Chocolate Orange.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:34 pm

Thats a serious bit of horse trading there George.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next