The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread

+18
CFCNick
Daniel Reilly
SirJohnnyEnglish
hodge
two_tone
James_182
Fernando
jeromedubois
Mat
cherriesfna
TopoftheChops
TRUSSMAN66
mystiroakey
Gregers
GSC
Marky
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
22 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread - Page 8 Empty The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 03 Nov 2012, 8:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

A place to discuss all things Brighton and Hove Albion
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread

Post by mystiroakey Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm

you what!

ffs.

hull and watford lost an all..

we would have been second with a win!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread

Post by mystiroakey Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:13 pm

you should have backed that score.

This is the worst weekend for sport of all time.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:14 pm

Pretty good for Forest so far. Don't think it could've gone better

Beat Hull, Leicester and Watford lose, Palace losing, Bolton and Leeds lose.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:16 pm

Looks like it'll be one spanking apiece for Brighton and Palace in this game this season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 17 Mar 2013, 3:03 pm

Well fantastic afternoon of football at the AMEX, NO WAIT ONE OF THE BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE!!!!

This is why you love football, for moments like this. Brighton & Hove Albion football club i am proud to be apart of it.

Ian Holloway is a superb manager, but i think he will be first to admit today, his team got completely outclassed. How Zaha cost 15 million ill never know, their defense was all over the place. Murray had a shocker. Johnny Williams was playing well for the scum but he was taken off at half time. Wayne Bridge had Zaha in his back pocket.

Ulloa was the difference, had we had CMS upfront or Barnes the soreline would of been different for sure. He is a much better version of Glenn Murray IMO.

Spanish Dave free kick was amazing. Poyet chose to start to wingers in Lua Lua and Buckley and it worked.

Palace were very dirty and took chunks out of us. The ref had a very good game today.

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEAGULLLLSSSSSSSSS

Yahoo

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

Brighton were always going to win, purely on Palace's woeful away form.

Deserved to win but Brighton have a bunch of diving cheating b*stards, slightest foul and fall over. Annoying doesn't sum it up, especially when they clearly don't need to do it.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Reilly Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:57 pm

Chuffed Brighton won, Hull have slipped up so much this season and yet still find ourselves 2nd!

Daniel Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:58 pm

Daniel Reilly wrote:Chuffed Brighton won, Hull have slipped up so much this season and yet still find ourselves 2nd!

u reds Whistle
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 17 Mar 2013, 5:02 pm

Daniel Reilly wrote:Chuffed Brighton won, Hull have slipped up so much this season and yet still find ourselves 2nd!

Hull will still go up im sure mate.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:43 am

Only because we have slipped up even more!!(Palace)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:31 pm

look what i did find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLB508Tfbcg
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:35 pm

Good goal that. Shame we won the league that year mate Wink

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:41 pm

Spanish Dave wrote:Good goal that. Shame we won the league that year mate Wink

there were only 4 teams u lot didnt beat that year

Southamption
Huddersfield
Bournemouth
and.......
ROCHDALE Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:43 pm

You're knowledge is better than mine mate, cheers for that fact OK

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:47 pm

cherriesfna wrote:

Southamption
Huddersfield
Bournemouth
and.......

So your point is, Brighton wouldn't have won a mini league out of themselves and four specific sides, however they won the league of 24 teams instead. Sucks to be them...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:42 pm

Laugh

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:05 am

Marky wrote:
cherriesfna wrote:

Southamption
Huddersfield
Bournemouth
and.......

So your point is, Brighton wouldn't have won a mini league out of themselves and four specific sides, however they won the league of 24 teams instead. Sucks to be them...

also sucks tobe a poopy team like crapley Wink
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

cherriesfna wrote:
Marky wrote:
cherriesfna wrote:

Southamption
Huddersfield
Bournemouth
and.......

also sucks tobe a poopy team like crapley Wink

You say that, but we've won two promotions in two seasons, that's more than Boremouth.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

Poyet now heavy favourite with the bookies to become the next Reading manager. As low as 1/10 with some.

(I know the bookies is not the most reliable, but you know)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:56 pm

Poyet has been given permission to talk to Reading.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:01 pm

Just seen on Sky Sports, very surprised but i can see a minor bit of logic

Brighton probably won't achieve promotion this season.

Reading have A LOT of money (apparently according to my mate who is an avid Reading fan) they do look certain to come down but at least there will be parachute payment for next season for them, which is something Poyet has moaned about a lot, the lack of money we have. Which we clearly do not on wages admittedly but as seen we spent 2 million on a talented striker in January, as well as 3 million on CMS last summer and 1 million on Buckley. So interesting times lie ahead.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:02 pm

Gus could turn them down, you never know Sad

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:41 pm

Not likely. Championship football at a small club paying small wages or a big Premier League club with a billionaire owner? Not much of a choice is it.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:30 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Not likely. Championship football at a small club paying small wages or a big Premier League club with a billionaire owner? Not much of a choice is it.

You are talking about Reading right? Next year they'll be heading down to the Amex for a league game. If I was Gus I'd stay at Brighton.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm

I'm not joking, Poyet can go in there now and keep them up (a tough ask, but possible), and if he doesn't? They'll steamroller the Championship next season with some investment, then establish themselves in the Prem after that. Brighton aren't the club to match Poyet's obvious ambitions.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:33 pm

Reading have a big budget though and a squad capable of going back up.

Can tiny Brighton compete with that.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:43 pm

Reading will definitely be back but not straight away, the majority of their squad will be on a downer from relegation. There's plenty of good enough teams to go ahead of them and with three from Cardiff, Watford, Leicester, Palace and Hull going up, with a few decent signings why can't Brighton be one of the big clubs next season?

I think the club from Southampton, Sunderland, Villa or Wigan that goes down will struggle and QPR have a massive wage bill they'll need to deal with or offload, I don't think they'll be able to compete with Reading too much because if I was a player at that level and QPR came in for me I'd think "Why would I wanna join the QPR project 2.0 after it was so successful the first time?"

Last edited by MockingJay33 on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:44 pm

three from Cardiff, Watford, Leicester, Palace and Hull going up

Include Leicester but not Forest Sad
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm

I know GSC. Forest are on a great run but one of the clubs who don't go up with Cardiff will be too strong for Forest. Although I did think Forest were going up the year Blackpool did so I may be wrong this time too.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:49 pm

Yeah but Leicester are in real danger of dropping out of the playoffs altogether.

Plus we did beat Hull away on saturday Whistle
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

Poyet is on the verge of something huge at Brighton, taking us from Withdean infront of 6,000 or so fans from avoiding league one, to wining league one, to playing infront of 26,000 or so fans at the fantastic staidum. Like mocking Jay said a couple of additions in the summer and who know's how well will do. If we started the season with Ulloa i think we would easily be higher than we our now!

But like others said Reading have a huge budget and if Poyet doesn't keep them up, he will get whatever he wants in terms of a team for next season. Also if the move back fires, then his dream of managing Chelsea, Tottenham etc could go up in smoke.

So it will be very interesting to see what he does.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:14 pm

Brighton's budget isn't that small, what's Poyet actually done to warrant a link to Reading?

He won League 1. And while Southampton came 2nd that season, they went on to get into the Premier League while Brighton floundered last season. Now with some investment (like transfer fees and not at all small wages), they're in the playoff mix. He's done the equivilant of Paolo Di Canio but without the massive ego.

He would fail at Reading, but he's clearly in his comfort zone at Brighton, so should stay.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:32 pm

"Whats Poyet actually done"

2009/10 - Half way through the season takes charge of a rubbish team and leads us from 21st to a comfortable 13th place finish.

2010/11 - Wins the league one title, as well as finishing above the Southampton scum.

2011/12 - Leads us to an amazing 10th place Championship finish, As well as picking up manager of the year.

2012/13 - Writes his name in Albion history with an epic 3-0 win over Palace, also on the brink of the play offs.

Above all though, as given Brighton a name and a reputation as a footballing side, who like to get the ball down and play (very well)

Done an incredible job, so easily understandable why the prem clubs want him, if people say otherwise then i really don't understand what they think a good job is, and i suggest that football isn't there sport.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

Latest i know of, is Poyet is on holiday in Barbados (alright for some, would love to be there atm instead of in England!) which makes sense as my mate claims to have seen him at Gatwick this morning.

There is a feeling in Brighton, that Poyet would reject the job anyway. Im not so sure tbh.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:18 pm

If he's got any ambition he would move on.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm

With the noises Poyet's been making about the Chelsea job, imo it's pretty clear his head has been turned.

Whilst Reading will probably go down, they'll be in a great position to come straight back up (who is gonna wanna sign many of there players?)

Maybe he feels that he has taken Brighton as far as he can.

If he does leave, it's not nice having your manager nicked, but the board have to make sure they get the next appointment spot on. No man is bigger than the club etc etc
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:22 pm

Olly wrote:With the noises Poyet's been making about the Chelsea job, imo it's pretty clear his head has been turned.

Whilst Reading will probably go down, they'll be in a great position to come straight back up (who is gonna wanna sign many of there players?)

Maybe he feels that he has taken Brighton as far as he can.

If he does leave, it's not nice having your manager nicked, but the board have to make sure they get the next appointment spot on. No man is bigger than the club etc etc

Agree with some of this. A lot of fans actually want Poyet to go, as some feel his attitude to the football club is disappointing sometimes e.g. thinking he is bigger than the football club.

I feel if Gus does leave it will be a blow to Brighton, but to Sussex football as a whole. But my personal pick would be Nigel Adkins ahead of anyone.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:56 pm

Sounds like the deal is getting closer Sad

Hopefully Bloom has Adkins number!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:59 pm

Just when i speak, Andy Naylor tweets "GP is staying #bhafc"

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:41 pm

Whilst that sounds good, I wouldn't take that for final word.

Paul Lambert held a new infamous press conference about a week before he left for Villa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtZdoFZ6kxE

Things change very quickly especially when there is ££££££ involved
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:44 pm

Very true Olly.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

Inigo Calderon wins The football league player in the Community awards.

Complete legend and well deserved, puts in a lot of work and i am happy this has happened.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:32 pm

As a Brighton fan Nick, settle an argument for me, Wood or Cox?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:56 pm

GSC wrote:As a Brighton fan Nick, settle an argument for me, Wood or Cox?

I prefer Roger Johnson.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:59 pm

As an Albion fan, Wood Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:19 pm

GSC wrote:As a Brighton fan Nick, settle an argument for me, Wood or Cox?

As a Brighton fan ill have to say Cox Wink

However if you're comparing Chris Wood to Simon Cox. There both a complete different type of player. I have always admired Simon Cox from His Swindon days, but i believe Chris Wood is slighty better given his incredible strength for just the age of 21 and the goals he has been scoring this season, as well as carrying Millwall for much of the season.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:25 am

Ah ha!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10309977.It_s_a_whole_new_ball_game_as_Albion_reveal___9_1m_loss/?ref=ar

Income from ticket sales rocketed from £2.3 million to £7.9 million and commercial sponsorship and advertising increased from £832,000 to almost £4 million.

Income from ticket sales rocketed from £2.3 million to £7.9 million and commercial sponsorship and advertising increased from £832,000 to almost £4 million.

Retail income rose four-fold to £2 million and the club banked £5.7 million from TV compared to £1.6 million on their way to winning the third tier.

Promotion to the Championship also brought its rewards from central funds.

The club received £5.7 million in cash distributed by the Football League and Premier League solidarity payments compared to £1.6 million in League One.

And that was with a £9m loss.

Still wanna claim there's low wages paid?

Staff costs doubled to £14.7 million

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:27 am

Brighton are becoming a bigish club and fair play to them!

The championship is my fav Division by a long way.

Even if palace go up I am still going to foillow it.

I look at it like the top English divison and the PL as an international one

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:28 am

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread - Page 8 1347041234

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:37 pm

Marky wrote:Ah ha!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10309977.It_s_a_whole_new_ball_game_as_Albion_reveal___9_1m_loss/?ref=ar

Retail income rose four-fold to £2 million and the club banked £5.7 million from TV compared to £1.6 million on their way to winning the third tier.

Promotion to the Championship also brought its rewards from central funds.

The club received £5.7 million in cash distributed by the Football League and Premier League solidarity payments compared to £1.6 million in League One.

And that was with a £9m loss.

Still wanna claim there's low wages paid?

Staff costs doubled to £14.7 million

1. LOL, maybe now you can enter the real world Nick in terms of what you pay players.
2. Apparantly Simeon Jackson is off on loan to you lot.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next