The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 most metally tough fighters in boxing right now

+14
azania
BoxingFan88
AlexHuckerby
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
ONETWOFOREVER
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Valero's Conscience
88Chris05
Boxtthis
coxy0001
Snakeyman123
Seanusarrilius
18 posters

Go down

5 most metally tough fighters in boxing right now Empty 5 most metally tough fighters in boxing right now

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 09 Nov 2012, 12:57 am

For various reasons and in no particular order

Juan Manuel Marquez: Get's knocked down, get's up, boxes to a plan, great mental strength

Carl Froch: Does anyone believe that Froch would have had this level of success if he wasn't so mentally tough

Andre Ward: His ability to excecute a gameplan is almost flawless. As is his dedication.

Bernard Hopkins: " Of course.

Vitali Klitschko: Belief in himself goes beyond the sport. True mental grit. Tough man.

Who else do we have and why? feel free to disagree

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

5 most metally tough fighters in boxing right now Empty Re: 5 most metally tough fighters in boxing right now

Post by Snakeyman123 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 8:07 am

Holyfield. Unerring self belief and religious zeal..tough guy. Believes that god put him here to box. That makes him mentally tough.

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

5 most metally tough fighters in boxing right now Empty Re: 5 most metally tough fighters in boxing right now

Post by coxy0001 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:27 am

5 most metally tough fighters

Spoiler:

That is one bad mofo.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:39 am

I always thought that Tim Bradley's inherent confidence in himself has been a major plus point in his game.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:23 am

I think Floyd needs including, personally. As much as he's brought it on himself, there are millions out there who watch him purely in hope that they'll see him beaten, and he knows that. Moreover, I've always been impressed with his confidence and concentration in the ring; he had his troubles against Judah, De la Hoya etc in the early stages, to the point where defeat seemed a possibility after six rounds, but each time kept his head, remained unflustered and confidently went about figuring his man out, which he did both times.

The man is superb, in so many areas.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:26 am

Rios - won't give up at all

JMM - for reasons Sean said

Froch - very tough guy and seems to have the mental toughness to match his chin

Floyd - Keeps a cool head at all times, a geniune genius in the ring

Audley - To keep going he must be extremely mentally tough....or handicapped!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:10 am

Katsidis? His brother died before the biggest and hardest fight of his life vs Marquez and gave everything he could vs an elite fighter who was leagues above him in terms of ability. Always in great fights and has traveled to his opponents back yards again and again without complaint

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 09 Nov 2012, 12:55 pm

Great shouts one and all and I would probably have to adjust my list aftert he mention of Bradely. He does everything he can with the talent he has. Floyd is an obvious omission. I think I just left him out to make it a bit more interesting, tbh. Clearly he has the mental stuff

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

Carl Froch - Travelled to backyards, involved in big scraps with elite fighters, never seems to wilt under pressure (although his chin is a contributing factor)

Amir Khan - Robbed against Peterson in a lot of ways, knocked out by Garcia (after being ripped by his dad in the build up), sparked cold by Prescott, but yet STILL slugs with Maidana and continues to state he is great. Fair play.

Katsidis - Warrior. Nothing more to say.

Wladmir - Knocked about in middle of his career, always been slated for his chin. Great mental strength and now sticks to his gameplans. Will be interesting to see how he gets on without Manny in his corner (RIP).

Mayweather - Genuis in every aspect. One of the greatest boxers i have set my eyes on in terms of speed, chin, technical brilliance and skill.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 09 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Carl Froch - Travelled to backyards, involved in big scraps with elite fighters, never seems to wilt under pressure (although his chin is a contributing factor)

Amir Khan - Robbed against Peterson in a lot of ways, knocked out by Garcia (after being ripped by his dad in the build up), sparked cold by Prescott, but yet STILL slugs with Maidana and continues to state he is great. Fair play.

Wladmir - Knocked about in middle of his career, always been slated for his chin. Great mental strength and now sticks to his gameplans. Will be interesting to see how he gets on without Manny in his corner (RIP).
Mayweather - Genuis in every aspect. One of the greatest boxers i have set my eyes on in terms of speed, chin, technical brilliance and skill.

Don't agree with Wlad, or do I? Tough one. On one hand I think he is scared int he ring and just gets by because he is a very well trained fighter against very average opp. Other times I think, like you, that he has come back really well and shown tremendous mental stength.

He is a specimen, I think that and heavy reinforcement from Manny Steward has done far more for him than his mental strength.

That said, for anyone to step back in once they've been beaten 3 times by average opp says something

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:06 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:Carl Froch - Travelled to backyards, involved in big scraps with elite fighters, never seems to wilt under pressure (although his chin is a contributing factor)

Don't agree with Wlad, or do I? Tough one. On one hand I think he is scared int he ring and just gets by because he is a very well trained fighter against very average opp. Other times I think, like you, that he has come back really well and shown tremendous mental stength.

He is a specimen, I think that and heavy reinforcement from Manny Steward has done far more for him than his mental strength.

That said, for anyone to step back in once they've been beaten 3 times by average opp says something

Exactly my point.

Same could be said for Amir Khan - knocked out by (IMO) less then capable opposition in Garcia and Prescott, but still wants it at top level.

Time will tell for Amir, where as time has proved it right with Wladamir.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

Gotta give it to Audley then!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:23 pm

Carl Froch was a bag of nerves before the Bute fight.

Marquez is a good shout.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:32 pm

The Judah fight was a test of mayweathers mental toughness after the low blow, once which he passed with flying colours. Most fighters would have reacted in type but he kept his head and fought on as he had been.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:42 pm

Think the necessity of mental strength has rarely been so evident than in that fight Ghosty - two supreme talents - one a physically gifted genius with fortitude and the other a physically gifted genius without

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:48 pm

Although nowhere near the peak of his powers, I would say James Toney, the man believes he's unbeaten, bit of a div but my God is he tough, to have fought at the levels he has, sometimes whilst also being massively out of shape and the amount of fights he's had to have never even come close to being stopped is remarkable.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Although nowhere near the peak of his powers, I would say James Toney, the man believes he's unbeaten, bit of a div but my God is he tough, to have fought at the levels he has, sometimes whilst also being massively out of shape and the amount of fights he's had to have never even come close to being stopped is remarkable.

Pretty sure Levedev had him looking like Bambi on Ice in their fight...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:59 pm

You have to include boxers who have been sparked out several times who come back for the same treatment. Can't be easy knowing that you're one slight jab away from queer street. Takes huge balls to come back to that everytime.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:00 pm

Not from my memory, he never hurt him, I don't think, Toney was just off balance the whole time due to him being completely, completely, totally and utterly shot.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm

Eric crumble? Knocked out in 31 of his 31 fights. Mostly 1st or second round KO's. Not sure if he is mentally tough, or mentally ill to get in the ring after the first few though...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sat 10 Nov 2012, 9:42 am

Ward

Floyd

Marquez

Rios

Froch

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 10 Nov 2012, 10:58 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:

I'd agree with Wlad he has came through a different adversity in his career. He won Olympic Gold, was being heralded for years as the next dominant heavyweight champion and back in 2002 plenty were backing him to beat Lewis, HBO especially were absolutely gushing with praise for his power and relentless attack. However he had those terrible two KO losses the second one incredibly bizarre, he was taken to hospital because they thought he might have bleeding in his brain, the next day his brother tells him to retire because he had no faith in him anymore. This only 18 months after he was pretty much seen as the best heavy in the worlds beside Lewis. He could have just thrown in the towel, became a doctor or another very well paid job but he stuck at it. Got the biggest and most dangerous fight at the time in 2005 against Sam Peter ( people will laugh now but Peter was a feared puncher and favorite to beat Wlad) because he knew that was the only way he could resurrect his career, he got knocked down 3 times but came through to win a decision and hasn't looked remotely troubled in any fight since in the proceeding 7 years. Making him the most dominant heavyweight since Larry Holmes. He's not a warrior in the ring but the guy's bloody determind and got more heart than 99% of boxers out there.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 10 Nov 2012, 2:00 pm

"Metally" tough then nobody beats Coetzee..

Mentally look no further to the best around....

Pacman.....Mayweather....Marquez..........

Stopped reading after the op said Khan......

He is so strong mentally he can't follow a gameplan...... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 10 Nov 2012, 3:07 pm

It is a proven fact that if your mentally strong then so is your chin.

So Khan should not be on this type of list.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 10 Nov 2012, 3:51 pm

ward i would argue with, hes of one the best techincal fighters, but i dont think he has been in with another his level (only because he's head and shoulder better than everone else) to actually test his mental toughness.

i think it needs to be tested when your hurt/losing to show your true colours. i think fury and chisora both deserve to be on the list, they always carry on reguardless of been hurt/put down.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down