The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India v England, First Test Thread

+21
GSC
ShahenshahG
liverbnz
sirfredperry
trebellbobaggins
gboycottnut
eirebilly
LivinginItaly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
guildfordbat
Shelsey93
VTR
alfie
Liam
KP_fan
ShankyCricket
Gerry SA
Luke
Mad for Chelsea
Duty281
msp83
25 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

India v England, First Test Thread - Page 6 Empty India v England, First Test Thread

Post by msp83 Thu 15 Nov 2012, 4:06 am

First topic message reminder :

India won the toss and are batting.
No surprises with the teams.
India
Gautam Gambhir
Virender Sehwag
Cheteshwar Pujara
Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
R Ashwin
Zaheer Khan
Pragyan Ojha
Umesh Yadav.
No Monty for England and Compton is having his debut.
Nick Compton
Alastair Cook
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Samit Patel
Matt Prior
Tim Bresnan
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
James Anderson.
The pitch seems dry and should take turn.

msp83

Back to top Go down

India v England, First Test Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: India v England, First Test Thread

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:49 am

KP_fan wrote:It is good to see a fightback from England...they are precariously placed and on this pitch......one wicket falls and a few go down in cluster.

Hope they learn their lessons for the remainder series......and get Finn+Meaker+Monty in the side......and with that composition if they win the toss ....it will be a much more ven and tight game

While I take what you have said about not picking bowlers for their batting, KPF , do you really think England can afford to bat a last five of Swann/Anderson/Finn/Meaker/Panesar ?

In any case , selecting Meaker would be a pure guess and hope - and hardly necessary if a fit Finn is picked , as I suspect he will be. Monty is a possible option , as he was for this match , but England will still be unwilling to go with less than three seam bowlers. And for good reason : unlike England in this first innings , India are very unlikely to fold up quickly against spin bowling...

My opinion hasn't changed : the key to this series remains how well England learn to bat against two good though not remarkable spinners on Indian pitches. If they can make good solid scores , they will be competitive whichever bowling combination they select.

Unfortunately they don't have any batting wild cards up the sleeve , so this lot will have to pretty much do it...at least the second innings is looking a bit more like proper Test batting.

alfie

Back to top Go down

India v England, First Test Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: India v England, First Test Thread

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 5:24 am

Nice bit of bowling from Ojha to snare Trott clap

That is a very big wicket for India , as he was one player who could bat all day , and the partnership with Cook was starting to look dangerous...

The way England have played so far in this innings makes that first innings collapse all the more culpable , as it seems the pitch remains far from a minefield. Losing wickets in the last hour after nearly two days in the field was not unexpected , but some of the senior batsmen rather let themselves down on day three. Hope they can redeem themselves in this innings and give their captain some well deserved support.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 5:33 am

...and as I type KP totally fails to do so , making a horrible mess of a sweep and getting bowled round his legs by the left arm spinner Crying or Very sad

Not the first time he has fallen that way...a great player on his day , but I find it disappointing that he doesn't seem to learn from past failures ...would prefer him to play straight early on , especially in these circumstances.

At least Cook has gone to his hundred clap Very well played. Probably in vain now , but a fine Captain's innings. OK

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 18 Nov 2012, 6:41 am

Really a bad situation to be in for England and Cook will do wel to see England force India to bat again.

I am really suprised at Trott as he was the one batsman that i thoughtwould be very good in India
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 18 Nov 2012, 7:13 am

Bell gone now Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 18 Nov 2012, 7:16 am

Christ, 2 in 2.

That did not look out, Patel is fuming and i am with him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Nov 2012, 7:25 am

Wahey Eirebilly! hows the recovery going?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 18 Nov 2012, 7:26 am

Not bad Shah, hows you mate?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Nov 2012, 7:49 am

Yeah good thanks - except that I am at work at 7 in the morning and my bone marrow has just about frozen. Poor england suffering again - I hope the players start getting some serious batting in before the next test - they don't seem to be adjusting very well.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 8:34 am

Another excellent partnership here for England, the Indian spinners are doing a decent job, but Cook and Prior are very much up to it. 261-5.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 8:35 am

Looks like India will be set for a tricky 4th innings chase.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 8:42 am

Compton had a start but failed to push on. Trott was out to a good ball. KP is overrated. Bell still can't bat in this part of the World. Poor Patel has had two shockers against him in the same match. Cook and Prior just to bat and bat whilst Bresnan, Broad and Swann need to chip in down the order. If England make another 165 runs, India will require a 3 figure score to win.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 8:54 am

If Prior and Cook bat through the last session of the day, then England will be in with a chance to draw this match. If they manage that, they should be already be leading by 30-40 at the start of day 5, and then if they bat out a session and half, then they should take that lead to around 170-180. It will be dificult to chase that down in a session or so.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 8:55 am

Cook has been England's best batsman in the sub-continent. He has again been absolutely fabulous here. Think Dhoni should make more use of Yuvraj and even a few more overs from Sehwag won't be a bad idea.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 9:09 am

Must have heard you , msp. Smile

Here comes Yuvraj. ...

Good fight from Cook & Prior but they still have a lot to do.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 9:16 am

Duty281 wrote:Compton had a start but failed to push on. Trott was out to a good ball. KP is overrated. Bell still can't bat in this part of the World. Poor Patel has had two shockers against him in the same match. Cook and Prior just to bat and bat whilst Bresnan, Broad and Swann need to chip in down the order. If England make another 165 runs, India will require a 3 figure score to win.

Can't argue with much of that , Duty ...

Except I don't think KP is over-rated , though he is often rash. Like today.

Tough task left for Cook & co , but good to see them fighting it out ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:05 am

Have a feeling this one is slipping away from India. Fine fine knock from Alastair Cook, and excellent support from Matt Prior. If no wicket in another 10 minutes, I think this one will be gone for India.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:12 am

Another wrong LBW call, this time its Matt Prior who benefits. Pragyan Ojha again the unlucky bowler.
Bloody BCCI!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:16 am

msp83 wrote:Have a feeling this one is slipping away from India. Fine fine knock from Alastair Cook, and excellent support from Matt Prior. If no wicket in another 10 minutes, I think this one will be gone for India.

Msp - even if the worst - ie nothing - happens for India in the remaining overs today, they are still in a very strong position. Yes, it has been England's and especially Cook's day. However, at best, we will still be starting the last day of what is effectively now a one innings match at around 25 - 5. That's a lot better for England than the same time yesterday but still very worrying ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:19 am

msp83 wrote:Have a feeling this one is slipping away from India. Fine fine knock from Alastair Cook, and excellent support from Matt Prior. If no wicket in another 10 minutes, I think this one will be gone for India.

Are you trying to hex England here , msp ? Very Happy

With another full day to follow I think India have still got plenty of time to win this match. Even if these two were to bat out the day , England would still be a long way from safety. One wicket often brings a clatter ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:25 am

The pitch has no pace whatsoever. I think England can very much save this one from here on. They are just 5 runs behind, and Cook and Prior are looking absolutely comfortable.
They did in the 2010 ashes, Cook played a big hand in that, and looks like history repeating itself.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:29 am

Dhoni has to do something different here, bring Zaheer on to see if there is any reverse, try Yadav whether his extra pace can produce something, or try Sehwag who can turn the ball big at times.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:30 am

So, now India will have to bat, England have ensured that.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:34 am

When I say England are in with a seriously good chance to get away with a draw here, one major factor is the length of that batting lineup. Bresnan, Broad and Swann can bat, and although there is turn available, there is no pace off the wicket and even just short of good length balls are being cut away. If India are to win it, Zaheer and Yadav are to do some damage, and do it soon. Dhoni doesn't seem to be inclined to bring about the changes. Both Ashwin and Ojha have bowled a huge number of overs so far and the batsman seem comfortable facing up to them at the moment.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:37 am

This knock from Cook, will really strengthen his authority as captain. Fabulous from him. He really can play spin very well, India will have to work out ways to get him soon, otherwise he could damage them big in this series. Already more than 200 runs and looking good for a lot more.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:39 am

20 minutes more to survive for England.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:41 am

India indeed having to bat again - didn't really expect that at tea yesterday !

Full marks to Cook and Prior ...making India work for their win. Still reckon these two need to bat another couple of hours , as I am not sure the bowlers will be able to contribute a lot of runs against the spinners on a fifth day pitch.

But it has certainly turned this from a slaughter into a real Test Match.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:42 am

Zaheer back on, think its a good move from MSD.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:43 am

What about 20 minutes of pace at both ends?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:43 am

Come on Zak, India need you here!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:46 am

Zaheer has been trying, but there is no reverse swing there for him.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:48 am

It indeed is Umesh from the other end. No better time to get one Umesh, come on, run in hard and let it really go!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:53 am

Agree with bringing back the pace men. Nothing there for them , but a change might just unsettle the batsmen , who were looking comfortable and playing for stumps...

Maybe revert to a last over of spin if nothing happens ? Just keep niggling away , sometimes the last couple of overs are tricky for tired batsmen.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:53 am

England probably still need to bat all the way to about tea to make it safe. India just have to be patient and take their chances.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:57 am

Ojha back..could be last over ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:03 am

Yep , close of play 340/5

Whatever happens tomorrow , this has been a special innings from Cook. guinness

And a fine supporting act from Prior.

Look forward to a real battle tomorrow.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:07 am

Very well played Cook and Prior, England didn't build a 30-40 run advantage, but the draw has become a realistic result going into the last day.
I don't see England winning it from here on, because they have to score at least 150 more for that, and they can't go for the bowling right from the word go. So it will take some time doing that and then I don't think with Swann alone they would be able to bowl India out. But they can very much draw this one I believe. If Cook and Prior bat an hour or more, they would be very well placed to fight for the draw. If England are batting at lunch tomorrow, I don't see India winning it.
As I said on the prediction thread, Mumbai and Kolkata should produce results, and most likely in favor of India. This I was expecting to be an easier draw, but that England collapse in the first innings made it India's match not to win. Alastair Cook is a master in these conditions, and he's proving that yet again. Matt Prior is another who could deal with these conditions etter than a few others in there and it is all coming together for England. The fact that the pitch has 0 pace in it is helping them deal with the turn on offer.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:12 am

All said and done, Its India's game not to win. They have taken out 5 of the top 7, and if they get an early wicket tomorrow morning they could apply more pressure on those who would come in. There should be more turn on offer, perhaps Ashwin and Ojha should toss it up even more and slow it down further and see if there would be some more bounce from the pitch, although it looks dificult at the moment. But with the kind of turn available, they can put the lower order under pressure, and if they manage to take the last 5 within 3 hours, they would b wery much in with the chance to finish this off in their favor.
Think the seamers are also in it, Zaheer will have to make his magic work to get Cook here, he seems immovable otherwise. Umesh could be of help in attacking the lower order.
India still are the favorites, but only by a 60-40 margin for me.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:15 am

I hope the umpiring mistakes in this matchwill make the BCCI rethink about the DRS. Cook was saved very early in his innings yesterday, and Prior was saved when he was on 65. Samit Patel was wrongly given out. Patel had a similar experience in the first innings and also was saved before that. Cook's 41 in the first innings also had him getting away with a clear LBW call. Yuvraj Singh was clearly out of a Swann LBW shout that was not given by the umpire and then Yuvraj was just restarting his innings on day 2.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:18 am

TBH its kinda about time the ICC made DRS either mandatory or stopped using it.

Prior and Cook probably need to bat through the morning then have somebody stick around until tea.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:27 am

What an effort by Captain Cook and Prior. The fact they survived through the final session ensures England have a chance of a draw...and maybe even an oh so famous victory. This pitch is still turning, if England can add 139 more runs then India will require 150 which won't be easy because time and the pitch is against them. India have looked tired in the field, they've spent longer out there than England have, which bodes well for tomorrow and the Second Test.

Now let's suck up some good old-fashioned English patriotism, have some belief, and maybe, just maybe, England will pull off the greatest of Great Escapes.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:32 am

We won't win from here. Needed another 100 runs today to even think about putting India under pressure. Bat as long as possible, until tea should finish the job.

Middle order again shows next to 0 application against spin. If you get yourself in and concentrate these spinners are hardly world class. Certainly not miles above Swann and Panesar.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:36 am

On a slow pitch like this, I remember Anil Kumble bowling medium pace cutters to great effect, almost pulling off a win against Pakistan. Perhaps Dhoni should give Virat Kohli a go some time tomorrow. Or perhaps the captain himself can bowl an over or 2, but then there is no Dravid to keep wickets.
Meanwhile Gautam Gambhir has flown home following the passing away of his grandmother.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:38 am

If India don't nip one of these 2 out early, they could be in trouble. The first half hour is crucial to this test.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:40 am

GSC wrote:We won't win from here. Needed another 100 runs today to even think about putting India under pressure. Bat as long as possible, until tea should finish the job.

Middle order again shows next to 0 application against spin. If you get yourself in and concentrate these spinners are hardly world class. Certainly not miles above Swann and Panesar.

I certainly agree with the last bit. Between them, Trott, KP, Bell, and Patel have contributed 68 runs in 2 innings. I appreciate that Patel has been a bit unlucky in both innings but that is pathetic, another 100 runs from those 4 batsmen could have made a huge difference.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:42 am

msp83 wrote:On a slow pitch like this, I remember Anil Kumble bowling medium pace cutters to great effect, almost pulling off a win against Pakistan. Perhaps Dhoni should give Virat Kohli a go some time tomorrow. Or perhaps the captain himself can bowl an over or 2, but then there is no Dravid to keep wickets.
Meanwhile Gautam Gambhir has flown home following the passing away of his grandmother.

Sad news that for Gambhir. With the greatest of respect, he'll have to bat down the order now won't he?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:45 am

It appears that Bell is off home after this I see.

Morgan or Bairstow Yikes

Think England have to go Panesar for Bresnan in the 2nd test. 1 frontline spinner and a part timer just doesn't do it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by DouglasJardinesbox Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:49 am

We need to forget the Patel experiment. What does Prior need to do to be seen as a genuine #6? Play Finn, Panesar, Broad Anderson and Swann, with Bairstow for Bell. If KP doesn't stop batting like he's in a T20 series, he should be dropped. I've got no issue with him struggling to score, but he needs to bat himself in first.

We will need these two to bat through to lunch as an absolute minimum, or the game is toast...

DouglasJardinesbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:50 am

I'd be looking at 3 changes for the next Test:

Bairstow in for Bell (although Morgan's a good player of spin)
Finn in for Bresnan (if Finn is fit to play)
Panesar in for Patel

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 18 Nov 2012, 12:21 pm

End of D4:

Pitch went the sleep.....and Cook dug a hole and camped on that sleepy pitch.

The Indian team was expecting England to roll over and found it difficult to create a mindset of "having to work hard"...to earn the wickets...when Eng resristed....on a pitch whihc is still offering slow turn and reverse.

Well Played Cook....he has put England in a position where draw as as realistic as an England defeat with and England win an outside possiblity.

whatever be the otucome Enaf will go into T2 with Morale raised and India with more questions to answer

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next