The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Argentina, Build-Up and Match Thread

+68
valjester
Gibson
Intotouch
tecphobe
theslosty
Rory_Gallagher
Irishhoneymonster
Thomond
The Boss
MBTGOG
Artful_Dodger
kiakahaaotearoa
Pal Joey
Morgannwg
westisbest
neilthom7
LuvSports!
asoreleftshoulder
mystiroakey
KiaRose
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Imperialbigdave
wales606
eirebilly
RogerLewis
Golden
wolfball
Pot Hale
JmD
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Mcgavin Sean
The Great Aukster
Kingshu
Don Alfonso
Keesie_kee
Sin é
debaters1
Warthog
MunsterMac
WillyGilly
the-goon
GunsGerms
Rava
Feckless Rogue
dragonbreath
brennomac
Mickado
Brendan
SecretFly
Standulstermen
dublin_dave
Submachine
TJ1
Argie fan
MrsP
RugbyFan182
profitius
LeinsterFan4life
ME-109
mrsuperclear
Biltong
pete (buachaill on eirne)
gleesonisgod
rodders
Cari
clivemcl
Notch
72 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

Ireland vs Argentina, Build-Up and Match Thread - Page 19 Empty Ireland vs Argentina, Build-Up and Match Thread

Post by Notch Mon 19 Nov 2012, 6:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland's date with destiny fast approaches. Win and we are absolutely certain of a Second Tier seeding at the 2015 RWC. Lose... and we are at the mercy of other results. Argentina sit just ahead of us in the World Rankings table in sixth and will also be looking to copper-fasten their spot. There'll be no love lost between the two sides; these games are always confrontational and Argentina have a fair bit of momentum coming into this with a very credible win in Cardiff. They failed to register a win in their debut rugby championship season but the lessons learned make them a much more dangerous beast than the naive bruisers we've faced in the past. They've kept all their passion and physicality, but now have a fine young generation of elusive and skillful backs and a much better balance to their game. Two of those- Horacio Agulla and Lucas Amorosino- have been omitted by Santiago Phelan for this game but watch out for Juan Jose Imhoff and Gonzalo Camacho.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3885_8259078,00.html

Argentina: Marcos Ayerza, Marcelo Bosch, Maximiliano Bustos, Gonzalo Camacho, Manuel Carizza, Santiago Cordero, Agustín Creevy, Tomas Cubelli, Tomas De la Vega, Julio Farias Cabello, Juan Martín Fernandez Lobbe (capt), Santiago Fernandez, Francisco Gomez Kodela, Juan Cruz Guillemain, Eusebio Guinazu, Juan Martin Hernandez, Juan Jose Imhoff, Martín Landajo, Juan Manuel Leguizamon, Tomas Leonardi, Nahuel Lobo, Manuel Montero, Bruno Postiglioni, Federico Sanchez, Leonardo Senatore, Gonzalo Tiesu, Joaquin Tuculet, Tomás Vallejos, Nicolas Vergallo.

Talking of backs, Ireland coach Declan Kidney has a number of decisions to make after a much-changed backline ran rampant against against an admittedly under-strength and uncommitted Fijian side. Media and fans have been clamouring to see more of the likes of Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall and Paddy Jackson but when he selects his side the Cork man has to counter-balance their obvious potential against the naivety of our last opponents and the value of experience. It would be no surprise if he mainly stuck to the conservative option; expect a few new faces but no radical, fundamental change. He'll be hoping Johnny Sexton recovers from an injury picked up in the warm-up on Saturday; he's scheduled to return to training on Thursday, the same day the team is named.

Teams to be edited in when they are announced. Discuss.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Argentina, Build-Up and Match Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Ireland vs Argentina, Build-Up and Match Thread

Post by Golden Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:08 pm

Double post

Last edited by Golden on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Golden

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Argentina, Build-Up and Match Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Ireland vs Argentina, Build-Up and Match Thread

Post by Golden Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:09 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Warthog wrote:He should still be given the boot. Even if we win a grand slam.

Why don't we have faith in ourselves as a rugby nation. We have the players. Better players than Kidney's rubbish rugby is producing..

Of course we have good players. Last three ERC player of the year has been Irish. ireland is also the most nominated NH country for IRB player of the year.

Can never understand why my own countrymen have such a lack of confidence in our own players. Its such nonsense.

I think he means is that we have the players to be playing better than how we are under Kidney not that we dont have talented players.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:10 pm

Golden wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Warthog wrote:He should still be given the boot. Even if we win a grand slam.

Why don't we have faith in ourselves as a rugby nation. We have the players. Better players than Kidney's rubbish rugby is producing..

Of course we have good players. Last three ERC player of the year has been Irish. ireland is also the most nominated NH country for IRB player of the year.

Can never understand why my own countrymen have such a lack of confidence in our own players. Its such nonsense.

I think he means is that we have the players to be playing better than how we are under Kidney not that we dont have talented players.

I think you will find I was essentially agreeing with him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:11 pm

Oh right sorry, read that wrong

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:37 pm

Some observations on the weekend;

- ball presentation to Murray was great for most of the game, it meant he could fetch and pass in one motion a lot of the time.

- no forwards really stood into the line as first receiver, instead letting Murray pass straight to Sexton and keep the pace/tempo of the game nice and high.

- they played as a single team. Sexton was the first to congratulate Gilroy, Ryan was in to congratulate Strauss, I think everyone manned up for the little handbag incident. It was great to see. Maybe this is a learning point for the Irish on 606v2!

- Bent does some good cameo's off the bench to shore up the scrum and most of the whispers about him blowing straight into a green jersey which even playing for a province is ignored. In my mind it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place, if they believe you're good enough, should you have to 'serve time' before being called in?

- Strauss sings the national anthem (something only half the people in the ground sign, the rest hum because they don't know the words) and most of this 'only pure irish allowed' quietens down. If he had a howler, I fear everyone would have continued to run the 'only pure irish argument'. Fair dues to the people who feel that way and consistent voice it, but I don't like the undercurrent that a players quality factors into that kind of debate. is that just me?

- Most of the players given a chance these last few games, have really shown they can bring something to the table. I want Ireland to keep this approach up, develop a squad that can be mixed and matched without panic and hysteria, have a full squad that can play good style of rugby and have faith in a system rather than falling into a place where we believe we have to rely on a few players to produce magic from nowhere.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 27 Nov 2012, 7:02 pm

Great post Band. Excellent observations man. guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

We went backwards again after the excellent displays against England and Australia. Maybe it'll be third time lucky and this is the start of an upturn.

It's four years ago we were down in the dumps and had to come up with a win against the Puma's to stay in the top 8. We won.

Then this happened

Fingers Crossed
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Fri 30 Nov 2012, 7:14 pm

we are very close to a thousand replies on this can we do it?

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19