The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster V Clermont....Part 2 The Return

+28
George Carlin
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
Morgannwg
wales606
Rory_Gallagher
Hookisms and Hyperbole
VinceWLB
BigTrevsbigmac
JigsQ
eirebilly
Artful_Dodger
thebluesmancometh
TJ1
neilthom7
Cari
Golden
BoyneRFC
Gibson
SecretFly
Mickado
pete (buachaill on eirne)
debaters1
LeinsterFan4life
Feckless Rogue
asoreleftshoulder
thebandwagonsociety
Jenifer McLadyboy
32 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Leinster V Clermont....Part 2 The Return Empty Leinster V Clermont....Part 2 The Return

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 11 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

Leinster Website wrote:The Leinster squad have stepped up their preparations for Saturday afternoon's Heineken Cup Round 4 clash against ASM Clermont Auvergne in the Aviva Stadium (KO: 3.40pm) with a training session in UCD on Tuesday afternoon...
Following Sunday’s bruising encounter in France, in a game which marked Andrew Goodman’s European debut, there are a number of bumps and bruises in the squad which will be monitored by the medical team. Amongst them is Kevin McLaughlin who took a heavy knock towards the end of the game but thankfully walked from the field afterwards.

His availability for selection will be decided later in the week, ahead of Friday’s lunchtime announcement. Sean O’Brien’s next appearance will be his 75th for the province in all competitions.

David Kearney and Eoin O’Malley could return to the panel this weekend as both continue to work hard on their respective rehabilitations, alongside another outside back Luke Fitzgerald who remains on course for a possible return to action over the Christmas interprovincial games against either Ulster away (December 21st) or Connacht in the RDS (December 29th).

In a boost to Leinster’s preparations this week, the attendance figure for Saturday’s game looks set to eclipse last year’s previous Irish pool record of 46,365 which was set by Leinster against Bath in the corresponding round last season. It will also be the biggest game of the Pool stages across Europe so far this season.

Over 46,000 tickets have already been sold for the ‘Christmas Craictacular’ in the Aviva Stadium on Saturday and tickets are selling fast ONLINE HERE, the Leinster Rugby Store (Donnybrook), Spar (Donnybrook) as well as Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.
LEINSTER:

15: Ian Madigan
14: Fergus McFadden
13: Gordon D'Arcy
12: Andrew Goodman
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Damian Browne
6: Sean O'Brien
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Sean Cronin
17: Cian Healy
18: Michael Bent
19: Devin Toner
20: Kevin McLaughlin
21: Isaac Boss
22: Andrew Conway
23: Dave Kearney

ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE:

15: Lee Byrne
14: Sitiveni Sivivatu
13: Aurélien Rougerie CAPTAIN
12: Wesley Fofana
11: Napolioni Nalaga
10: Brock James / David Skrela
9: Morgan Parra

1: Raphael Chaume
2: Benjamin Kayser
3: Davit Zirakashvili
4: Jamie Cudmore
5: Nathan Hines
6: Julien Bonnaire
7: Julien Bardy
8: Damien Chouly

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Ti'i Paulo
17: Vincent Debaty
18: Daniel Kotze
19: Loic Jacquet
20: Alexandre Lapandry
21: Ludovic Radoslavjevic
22: David Skrela / Benson Stanley
23: Regan King

Last edited by Jenifer McLadyboy on Fri 14 Dec 2012, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Leinster V Clermont....Part 2 The Return Empty Re: Leinster V Clermont....Part 2 The Return

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 11 Dec 2012, 4:13 pm

Feck it lads, I'm feeling confident about the return leg after standing up to them like we did on their patch. Welcome to our visitors from Clermont, sorry there is no LBP for you here, but we might help ourselves to a TBP.

Merry Christmas Leinster V Clermont....Part 2 The Return 3513163098

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Leinster V Clermont....Part 2 The Return Empty Re: Leinster V Clermont....Part 2 The Return

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 11 Dec 2012, 4:43 pm

Will Van der Merwe be back,I think we missed his impact to from the bench last week.

I'm much more confident this week after that performance,even if we finish 2nd in the group we won't fear anyone in a quarter final and with Bod,Kearney x 2,Fitz and Van der Merwe back we'll have real impact coming off the bench for the 1st time this season.I'd like to avoid Ulster in Ravenhill but anyone else and I'd be happy enough.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 11 Dec 2012, 5:15 pm

Wow. I think I'd rather go to Ravenhill than Toulouse, Clermont and possibly Toulon also.

No easy away quarters though. And even if we top our group (looking unlikely) we would surely be away in the QF.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 11 Dec 2012, 5:16 pm

I'd love to meet Ulster in Ravenhill. Would be a brilliant game and a brilliant atmosphere. And they need to be put in their place again anyway.

Although we have to beat Clermont first to have any hope of getting out of the pool. I'm still very disappointed with the defeat at the weekend. What happened to O'Strauss's darts??
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 11 Dec 2012, 5:27 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Wow. I think I'd rather go to Ravenhill than Toulouse, Clermont and possibly Toulon also.

No easy away quarters though. And even if we top our group (looking unlikely) we would surely be away in the QF.

Ulster are a really top team this year and I think if they don't get unlucky with an away quarter then it's between us and them to win the thing out.

Toulon don't convince me,they have a handy pool but I've never seen them really play well against a top team.Clermont are fragile when the pressure is on and with our injured players back to add real impact off the bench (plus Strauss won't ever have as bad a game again) I think we'll take them.Toulouse are looking strong again this year but I think some of their mystique is built on past accomplishments.

I feel French club rugby is overrated at the minute and I'd fear Quins away more than the French teams.

Last edited by asoreleftshoulder on Tue 11 Dec 2012, 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Punctuation and spelling.)

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 11 Dec 2012, 5:55 pm

Personally I'd take Quins before the other 4. But none of them would be easy.

Toulon. I agree are not quite at the level of Toulouse and Clermont despite their roster.

Objectively they would be behind Ulster, but the familiarity we have with Ulster makes me fear them less. And the fact that despite them being much improved this year and us misfiring, we did lash them out of it last May.

Last time they beat us outside Ravenhill was in the same millennium as the battle of Hastings

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 11 Dec 2012, 6:06 pm

Yeah we do have a great record against Ulster,I just feel that record was made against a different team.Everything I've seen from Ulster this year indicates that they've really stepped up a notch and I think with a little bit of luck they will win a Heino in the next 3-5 years.

That said I wouldn't be quaking in my boots were we to face them either,I have enough confidence in the team that they can go anywhere and win.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 11 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I'd love to meet Ulster in Ravenhill. Would be a brilliant game and a brilliant atmosphere. And they need to be put in their place again anyway.

Although we have to beat Clermont first to have any hope of getting out of the pool. I'm still very disappointed with the defeat at the weekend. What happened to O'Strauss's darts??
Will Ulster be allowed play their QF in Ravenhill? I heard that the stadium needs to have at least a 15k capacity.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 11 Dec 2012, 6:12 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I'd love to meet Ulster in Ravenhill. Would be a brilliant game and a brilliant atmosphere. And they need to be put in their place again anyway.

Unfortunately, after finding out he was in fact Irish, while humming the Irish national anthem he suffered from a bout of Jackmanitis. I've read reports that a lot of research has been done on this disease by some of the world's largest medical bodies and there are positive signs that a cure might not be too far away.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Will Ulster be allowed play their QF in Ravenhill? I heard that the stadium needs to have at least a 15k capacity.

Kidnap the Fire Officer for 48 hours and throw in some temp seats to boost capacity and they'd make 18,000. Then turn the place into a bear-pit atmosphere and allow us neutrals enjoy what would be beautiful carnage with a cold beer. As a Munster fan, I REALLY hope that whatever we do, Ulster finish as 1st or second seed thus reducing our chances of playing them in the 1/4s. The logic being that only Munster winning their group will get us knock out rugby and we'll probably be away if we finish on 22/23 points so playing the 3rd or 4th seeds.

13 out of 13 is just an awesome statistic and while you don't win tournies with those stretches before Christmas, the confidence of the Ulster players and the squad depth now is pretty good. Leinster have the winning pedigree of course and nothing focuses the mind and body like losing especially when you get a second shot at the guy a week later, but the need to secure either a Try BP or deny a Losing BP, to catch up on Clermont in the points stakes. And of course, win their remaining matches in January. Not taking that for granted for any Irish side, in case anyone feels I was being over confident or taking things for granted!

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 11 Dec 2012, 6:42 pm

It would be amazing to see 3 Irish sides in the QFs and Connacht in the Amlin.

Barring Ulster it will be a hard slog for the other 3.

The only non Irish Rabo side to win a game in the first 3 rounds were the Ospreys and that was v an Italian side.

2 French 1 Irish and 1 English will get through.

The other 4 places are between 2 French, 2 English and 2 Irish teams

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:15 am

This is what I am hoping for.

Healy-Cronin-Ross
Cullen-Browne
SOB-Heaslip-Jenno
Reddan-Sexton
Goodman-Darcy
Nacewa-Madigan-McFadden

Strauss-VDM-Bent-Toner-McL-Boss-Conway-Kearney

I think we should win this and win this more comfortably than they beat us last week. It is going to be a huge battle for sure but if we come in raring to go, maximum agression we should win. The challenge will be the TBP I think.

We should really hunt them in the scrum as well now that there is a better scrum referree this week and we looked dominant there last week.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 14 Dec 2012, 10:31 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:This is what I am hoping for.

Healy-Cronin-Ross
Cullen-Browne
SOB-Heaslip-Jenno
Reddan-Sexton
Goodman-Darcy
Nacewa-Madigan-McFadden

Strauss-VDM-Bent-Toner-McL-Boss-Conway-Kearney

I think we should win this and win this more comfortably than they beat us last week. It is going to be a huge battle for sure but if we come in raring to go, maximum agression we should win. The challenge will be the TBP I think.

We should really hunt them in the scrum as well now that there is a better scrum referree this week and we looked dominant there last week.

I'd like Toner to start ahead of Browne, he always plays well in Lansdowne Rd in Round 4 (think Bath game).
Kearney onto the wing, let Nacewa take the full back position. Move Madigan to the bench.
Definitely should start Reddan.
All of this should help us up the tempo, Jennings to help with quick ball, get our running game going and move their big guys around the larger pitch that is NLR.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:29 am

As a neutral, I don't understand why Leinster aren't massive favourites. What other team in the HC has a greater number of current internationals ? Most of whom played together against the All Blacks and have that experience banked.

Clermont have three or four current French internationals none of whom are in the spine of the team. I would be very surprised if Leinster lose this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

The team should be announced at noon.

Hope VDM and Kearney (at least) are back in the mix. I'd start Kearney with Nacewa at fullback and Madigan to come on as an impact.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:23 pm

LEINSTER:

15: Ian Madigan
14: Fergus McFadden
13: Gordon D'Arcy
12: Andrew Goodman
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Damian Browne
6: Sean O'Brien
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Sean Cronin
17: Cian Healy
18: Michael Bent
19: Devin Toner
20: Kevin McLaughlin
21: Isaac Boss
22: Andrew Conway
23: Dave Kearney

ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE:

15: Lee Byrne
14: Sitiveni Sivivatu
13: Aurélien Rougerie CAPTAIN
12: Wesley Fofana
11: Napolioni Nalaga
10: Brock James / David Skrela
9: Morgan Parra

1: Raphael Chaume
2: Benjamin Kayser
3: Davit Zirakashvili
4: Jamie Cudmore
5: Nathan Hines
6: Julien Bonnaire
7: Julien Bardy
8: Damien Chouly

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Ti'i Paulo
17: Vincent Debaty
18: Daniel Kotze
19: Loic Jacquet
20: Alexandre Lapandry
21: Ludovic Radoslavjevic
22: David Skrela / Benson Stanley
23: Regan King

VDM and D.Kearney back. Surprised Healy isn't starting, must be a tactical call...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:29 pm

EOM is playing for A's thank god.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

I believe it will be another brutal game. Clermont will be coming to win - to bury Leinster's reputation fully. They won't be coming to protect their points advantage.

I'm not confident. There is all the guile and execution with Lerinster, and the forward growl too...but for me, its all happening far too far away from the opposition's tryline in recent months. There is a real lack of cutting edge in making the guile show up on the scoreboard.

I hope of course that I'm very wrong...but as the grunt says in Platoon: "I gotta bad feeling about this one"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:46 pm

Really hoping we're facing David Skrela rather than Brock James here lads.

Skrela is pretty poor.

We've got the game to win this one, maybe win it well, maybe very well...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:53 pm

Well happy with that 23. Jenno in, gives me a lot more confidence. It always does. That backrow will malafuster ASM´s and secure ball for our runners.

I want a TBP. Of course we will win. But min result must be to deny them a LBP.

Our bench looks fierce strong now. We are growing nicely.

Leinster to win and deny ASM a LBP.

If we get an early try, win our lineouts and use quick off-the-top ball to attack them, with Reddan and Johnny running the show, bate shoite out of them up-front, the TBP will be on.

We are Leinster. Welcome to D4 'Ell Clermont.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:58 pm

Keep the pep talk up, guys, I need it Wink By the time the game happens I should be ready for a Leinster Spartan led massacre on Clermont

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 14 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

I'll take that line up for the game. The nerves are starting now, this should be a cracker.

With only 6 days rest from last weeks spectacular effort, we are going to have to use the bench earlier this week as fatigue sets in. And that is primed to be a strong bench to call on when needed.

Now all we need is a bit of life and noise from the 48,000 spectators tomorrow!! Crack out the chistmas carols everybody;

away in a manger
no crib for his bed
the little boy jesus
laid down his sweet head

the stairs in the bright sky
shone done where HEAALLYYY HEAALLYYY HEAALLYYY HEAALLYYY!!!!

come on Leinster!!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 14 Dec 2012, 1:39 pm

How dominant was our scrum last week, particularly when Strauss was on? VDM is an even better scrummager than Healy at this stage in his career, we’re starting this game with a view to tying up forwards in the set piece and then finding holes in their defense, we can do that, we did that last week. we can’t bash through them, but we can slice them up when we get things right.

I expect to see us trying to ram home an advantage in the scrum, nick some early penalties, then try to cut them open. The bench much more impact to call upon than last week.

We do need to try to cut off their offloading game though, that’s really the only way they managed to get around us, our defense was solid in general, but we were vulnerable to support runners taking the ball. If we can stop that…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Fri 14 Dec 2012, 2:31 pm

Any decent highlights out there lads? The Leinster site one is not great. I still have no voice after that weekend.

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 14 Dec 2012, 3:05 pm

Scrum advantage definitely with us. I'd hope we really punish them there and make their forwards not wanna be there. Then bring on some real heavies in McLaughlin, Healy and Cronin.

I can see us giving them a fair whack with the forward domination stick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 14 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

This Bardy lad is a yellow card waiting to happen. He's the flying headbutt merchant who tried to batter Leo last year.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 14 Dec 2012, 6:08 pm

Hope strauss has been working on those lineouts....

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:40 pm

Jordi Murphy promoted to the subs bench with McLaughlin sick.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:41 pm

Come on Leinster!

I've no idea what to expect out of this game. It's going to be huge though.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:43 pm

Ive got an exam at six, i really should be studying but what are you going to do. Im going to have to miss the end though furious

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm

Argh Golden! That's a big bummmer. raspberry

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

yeah hopefully ill catch it on the radio on the way in

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:47 pm

Ah Cari good to see you, who would have thought it, having a good afternoon? Also did that commentator just say he almost called the mark before he caught the ball is that not what you are meant to do?

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

Looks like it could be a good game for the neutral?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

Well good luck with the exam. Personally, I'd have to re-sit if this was my team playing...I wouldn't be able to concentrate! Smile

Very physical game by the looks, no one's really had any advantage yet.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:50 pm

Neilly - yep, I've got a brew and Marksie's choc biccies for munchies Smile

TJ - I think this will be a great game for a neutral. Agonisingly close for the fans of either side though!

Para kicks a penalty 0-3 at 7 minutes. Leinster haven't really got out of their side yet.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:50 pm

Lee Byrnes lines are still the best in europe!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:53 pm

Knew Struass was awkard on his leg as soon as that tackle was made.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:54 pm

Bum kick from Sexytoes. Strauss down injured. Not looking good...he's coming off. Cronin on.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

I was going to go for a brew but seems to standard for Leinster so thought I would go coffee lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:56 pm

Yeah I've got coffee (that's what I call a brew). This is the first time I've watched Byrne playing in his French coleurs...I must admit I would like to see him have a good game, being an Ospreylian in exile... Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:58 pm

Cari

Watch his support, ariel ability and the way CA use his left boot, he is playing very well indeed, how he doesn't make a wales FB role over the likes of Hook I just don't know!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

sssh don't wake the Leinster fans lol hes a good player would have been something to see him v Kearney

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:01 pm

Sexytoes equals the scores. 3-3 at 17 minutes.

Yeah Byrne v Chilli would've been something to behold...like the wales/Ireland internationals of years gone by.

Heaslip you pillock! BOD said Leinster need to watch their discipline with Para kicking points. Now it's 3-6 at 19 minutes cause Heaslip comes in from the side.

Last edited by Cari on Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm

Lee Byrne has been playing very well lately, its odd that i dont see him in the Welsh team.

For HC champions, Leinster can be made to look very ordinary at times. Mind you, Clermont is an outstanding team.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by JigsQ Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:04 pm

look at that turf.

JigsQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:04 pm

Billy! guinness

Byrne won't get in the Welsh squad because he plays in France. Like many of our best boys... Crying or Very sad

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:05 pm

JigsQ wrote:look at that turf.

Yes that was a pretty random shot of the grass there!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:06 pm

Cari wrote:Billy! guinness

Byrne won't get in the Welsh squad because he plays in France. Like many of our best boys... Crying or Very sad

Simply stupid then Cari. Class player is Byrne
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next