The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal out of Australian Open with stomach virus

+23
summerblues
ALPanorak
time please
Jeremy_Kyle
CaledonianCraig
invisiblecoolers
hawkeye
Josiah Maiestas
Silver
bogbrush
Chydremion
barrystar
lydian
JuliusHMarx
Henman Bill
antonico
The Special Juan
Haddie-nuff
Danny_1982
djlovesyou
User 774433
LuvSports!
harrpau7
27 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Nadal out of Australian Open with stomach virus Empty Nadal out of Australian Open with stomach virus

Post by harrpau7 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

Just seen it on BBC Sport.

Shame, but something doesn't seem right with Nadal's absence.

harrpau7

Back to top Go down

Nadal out of Australian Open with stomach virus Empty Re: Nadal out of Australian Open with stomach virus

Post by LuvSports! Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:40 pm

i agree, ferrer as no4 seed again Doh

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Nadal out of Australian Open with stomach virus Empty Re: Nadal out of Australian Open with stomach virus

Post by harrpau7 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:43 pm

Ferrer will be world number 4 after Melbourne.

Wonder if/when Nadal is actually coming back.......

harrpau7

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm

Mexican Open, late Feb.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 28 Dec 2012, 4:06 pm

Parallels to Serena's 'injury' here. Think I've said that all along.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 4:09 pm

Coming into a Grand Slam with this little match practice was always lunacy.

2 weeks was just about minimum, but now he couldn't play Abu Dhabi and Doha due to virus, so it really was pointless. He would just end up getting beaten early in AO and it would knock his confidence.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 4:17 pm

Must admit I'm a bit surprised. He's been back in training for quite a while now and I didn't think a stomach virus would be enough to derail him with still over 2 weeks left until the AO starts. A 60% fit Rafa would still have a good shot at getting to the second week and by then his fitness levels would be on the rise and who knows... I wonder if there are still problems with the knee.

But he knows best I suppose. Shame for the tournament. I was looking forward to seeing him back.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 28 Dec 2012, 5:15 pm

Well am I surprised.. No . I said at least 2 mths ago he would not play... and guess what Im glad .. to return after such an absence for the reasons he was absent and play a two week slam on hard court was a imo no brainer .. iM SORRY to say I told you so but I did. As a Rafa fan I would put a ???? behind the stomach virus.. he will be ready at the start of the clay court season. Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 5:24 pm

With the Fuentes case coming up in January will only get the rumour mill into overdrive.

However, on the subject at hand I always felt the AO was a tad ambitious. Where this leaves Nadal now only one can wonder will he ever be near the force he was. We are potentially looking at nine months before he returns to competitive action. I know this is a separate issue with this virus.

chin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 28 Dec 2012, 5:29 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:With the Fuentes case coming up in January will only get the rumour mill into overdrive.

However, on the subject at hand I always felt the AO was a tad ambitious. Where this leaves Nadal now only one can wonder will he ever be near the force he was. We are potentially looking at nine months before he returns to competitive action. I know this is a separate issue with this virus.

chin

He's obviously pregnant.

It's unfortunate to hear this. I wonder where he picked the virus up from; maybe he has the norovirus.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 5:30 pm

Apparently during Christmas dinner, at the end he was meant to make a speech, but then went to his room and threw up instead.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 28 Dec 2012, 5:36 pm

Well whether that be the case or no.. I still say he would not have played

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:01 pm

Well that sucks... that takes a lot out of the sport as well... it's just not quite the same without a potential rafa/fed or rafa/djoko match to look forward to...

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:02 pm

falzy21 wrote:Well that sucks... that takes a lot out of the sport as well... it's just not quite the same without a potential rafa/fed or rafa/djoko match to look forward to...
Yeah I know Sad

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by antonico Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:15 pm

I'm sure a lot of Nadal's public statements about intending to play has something to do with his endorsement contracts. The legalese written into those contracts is sometimes mind bogglingly confusing. Example - it might be stated that he can only withdraw from an event with some such "legitimate" reason only "X" number of days prior to the event. That's the kind of stuff often written into the fine print of a contract. Why it's there - who knows? I've seen a contract from a once famous rock band insisting their hotel rooms be furnished with a glass bowl full of a specific number and color of M&M's candy (red, in this case). What that has to do with anything is beyond me - but it was in there for some legal reason. The same could be with contracts of athletes. Sampras mentioned as much when he left the game. He kept withdrawing from tournaments one at a time, until all of his contractual appearance obligations had been met - so he could continue to get paid his endorsements. That could be why Nadal has been keeping everyone in limbo. He doesn't want to violate whatever might be in his contracts with his sponsors.

That said, it does make sense not to jump right into competition at a Best of Five Two Week Major after this much time away. If he does come back - it will probably be on one of those clay court events in South America or Mexico.

antonico

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:18 pm

Antonico, interesting point thumbsup

Welcome to the forum btw, good to have you on-board. OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:14 pm

Interesting to note that Nadal's injury problems started about 5 minutes after the clay season and then continued throughout all the hard court tournaments. I suspect he will be injury free for the entire clay season, he will make sure of it!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:16 pm

Bookies are giving Rafaa 50% chance to win the French Open at the moment.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

I agree with DJ; this is starting to look increasingly dodgy.

His statement says that he missed a week of training.. but the AUS open is still two weeks away. Surely the 'virus' cannot be the reason. The knee is supposedly perfect now, so what is really keeping him out of the game?

I suspect an Agassi style cover up.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

HB Nadal has admitted he needed to take painkillers during FO OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm

Emanci... Nadal can't go into a Grand Slam like the AO with only 1 week of match-play... after such a long time out it would be lunacy.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:23 pm

AO is BO5 and also HardCourt, so it makes sense he would want some decent match practice before entering there.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:30 pm

emancipator wrote:I suspect an Agassi style cover up.

ghost

emancipator

Problems with his wig?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:35 pm

emancipator wrote:I agree with DJ; this is starting to look increasingly dodgy.

His statement says that he missed a week of training.. but the AUS open is still two weeks away. Surely the 'virus' cannot be the reason. The knee is supposedly perfect now, so what is really keeping him out of the game?

ghost

emancipator

Misquote em he never said the knee was perfect...he said the knee was much better.. there is a big difference.
What is keeping him out of the game ? he wont chance that knee on hc. simples.. surely anyone can see that .. he simply has not the confidence to try a hc GS for his first competitive tournament. What surface would you think he would chose to make his first appearance back. What would be the surface he would most likely regain confidence and try out the knee Headscratch

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:37 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
emancipator wrote:I agree with DJ; this is starting to look increasingly dodgy.

ghost

emancipator

Misquote em he never said the knee was perfect...he said the knee was much better.. there is a big difference.
What is keeping him out of the game ? he wont chance that knee on hc. simples.. surely anyone can see that .. he simply has not the confidence to try a hc GS for his first competitive tournament. What surface would you think he would chose to make his first appearance back. What would be the surface he would most likely regain confidence and try out the knee Headscratch
Clay?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:38 pm

Give the boy a big clap

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:39 pm

Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:41 pm

This is a quote from Rafa´s Blog

My knee is much better and the rehabilitation process has gone well as predicted by the doctors, but this virus didn’t allow me to practice this past week and therefore I am sorry to announce that I will not play in Doha and the Australian Open, as we had initially scheduled

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm

The AUS open is still 17 days away.

He could request to start on the 2nd day which I'm sure they'd oblige, so that's 18 days away.

His knees must be ready for play or he wouldn't have declared the intention to play all those warm up tournies. So what is really keeping him out? chin

OK, ok, I know I'm just speculating wildly, but it does seem to be rather strange. Serena just had surgery on her toe yet she's ready to go.

I suspect the truth may be more sinister than the minions would like.

It is a sad thought but nonetheless one which I cannot dismiss lightly.

ghost

rotapicname

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:56 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
emancipator wrote:I suspect an Agassi style cover up.

ghost

emancipator

Problems with his wig?

Laugh

Quote of the year!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:05 pm

[quote="emancipator"]The AUS open is still 17 days away.

He could request to start on the 2nd day which I'm sure they'd oblige, so that's 18 days away.

His knees must be ready for play or he wouldn't have declared the intention to play all those warm up tournies. So what is really keeping him out? chin

OK, ok, I know I'm just speculating wildly, but it does seem to be rather strange. Serena just had surgery on her toe yet she's ready to go.

I suspect the truth may be more sinister than the minions would like.

It is a sad thought but nonetheless one which I cannot dismiss lightly.

ghost

rotapicname[/quote

Who are the minions em... ??? I suspect as many do they would like to find something more sinister behind his withdrawal... to me its plain and simple he kept giving out that he was playing to keep all and sundry from pressurising him anymore.. but to reiterrate what I said two months ago and like a worn out record.. it was never likely that he would play though I got shouted down at the time.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:14 pm

He's said he'll now play in Mexico at end of Feb...2 months away.

I always thought he'd never return on HC...but he's leaving it so long now that his level compared to others will have dropped.

So he loses 1200 pts for AO12...his ranking is going to start dropping now. Surely there are going to be questions over his motivation to return to you having spent so long away from tennis now.

Yes some will be cynical vs Fuentes.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:30 pm

Yes Lydian.. I have been saying for a long time (not on here but privately)
Rafa´s confidence has been shot to blazes.. its not just his knees that need strengthening but his mind also. Has he now got the wherewithal to drag himself back because it will be a long haul. If he cant then
I think we can safely say that will be it. Yes the cynics are alive and well.They are loving it and Im sure Rafa knows that.
I have a bloke living in my street who, when he doesn´t know a full story,. he makes it up ..to the point where he believes it himself. Sad these people arn´t they !!? picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:34 pm

Not a surprise. I don't believe the stated reason and only time will tell what happens next, although I expect to see him on a clay court before Easter.

It's the damn circus that bores me.

I hope emancipator is wrong......

barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:40 pm

I personally think the 'sinister' rumours are nonsense. I genuinely think the virus story is nonsense, but not because of anything dodgy or potentially rule breaking as is being hinted at.

I think his knee isn't ready, or he's had a setback with it. He's been training for ages now so if it was fine a week off because of a virus wouldn't keep him out. If its true that his next tournament is the end of February then clearly his knee isn't ready.

If that's the case I don't blame him for saying its because of a virus. Far better PR than "my knee is still knackered". But the subtle hints at Rafa wrongdoing (we all know what is being suggested) are frankly nonsense. Nothing at all to back it up.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:52 pm

2 things about this withdrawal now....

1) Well done to Daveed; he will be in the Top 4 for the first time in a while soon and be the leading player for his country for a bit longer.

2) This might be premature but.... Novak for the Grand Slam? censored
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:59 pm

2) This might be premature but.... Novak for the Grand Slam?

I don't think so personally. He didn't face Rafa at Wimbledon or New York and didn't take the title in either. One or two yes. Three I could just about see. But not all four. I think Roger and Andy will be more buoyed by Rafa's absence than Novak.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm

Funny how many times I hear coming back for AO is a big no-no. More than 100 players play the hardcourt slams every year without problems but when fragile Rafa puts his feet on a harcourt it turns into lava.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:03 am

I just dunno. Is it to be taken at face value, or is he covering a knee setback, or is it more sinister?

I really don't know.

All I hope is that he is never found to be on PEDs. It would completely do my head in if it turned out Federer was cheated of multiple Grand Slams.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:06 am

Bogbrush, if you think about it, with the way Nadal puts pressure on his knees it is inevitable sooner or later he would be out for long periods... this has been predicted by many for years.

Put it this way:
Given the style Nadal has being playing from 17 (so around 9 years), what was the probability he would never have a prolonged knee injury with much uncertainty about his return?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:08 am

Yeah, I think probably so.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:11 am

Above all, it's a bloody shame - the tournament will definitely be lacking something without him. I know that no player is bigger than the game, but a fully charged Rafa brings a lot to the table, particularly at the big tournaments. I hope he recovers swiftly, if the knees are still the issue. I think it's more likely to be a combination of factors - perhaps lingering psychological doubt (in his body) combined with contractual obligations to cause the relatively late withdrawal?

On the other hand, I'm with haddie - glad he's not playing if it were to cause him further damage.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:11 am

Do you think the extended slug fests with Novak have contributed to this? I bet even the fittest on tour have problems going toe-to-toe with Novak and when you do it consistently tournament after tournament it has to take it's toll eventually. Add to the fact that there were already knee problems then it's not surprising. He might need to go for his shots more often v Novak in the future rather than trying to out-grind him.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 29 Dec 2012, 1:08 am

Great

Now Murray will draw Federer whom he matches up well against and we have another insipid final.. best thing would be Berdych draws and beats Murray and set up a Federer showdown after that USO nuclear fallout.

Anyway i've drawn a cat to lighten the mood,

───▄▄─▄████▄▐▄▄▄▌
──▐──████▀███▄█▄▌
▐─▌──█▀▌──▐▀▌▀█▀
─▀───▌─▌──▐─▌
─────█─█──▐▌█
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 29 Dec 2012, 1:26 am

Josiah Maiestas

I think you will have to draw a few more cats. The mood is very, very dark...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by antonico Sat 29 Dec 2012, 1:59 am

One thing to keep in mind: Nadal's knee isn't "injured" in the traditional sense. It's not like Del Potro's wrist; or Sharapova's shoulder, where there was actual damage that needed to be repaired surgically for each of them. Nadal had tendinitis - which is a condition, not an injury. It's inflammation. That's why he takes heavy doses of anti-inflammatories, especially during the clay season since he plays everything (and usually wins everything) during that part of the calendar. In 2004, Venus Williams was also diagnosed with the same thing: she had this same condition in both of her wrists. Rather than have surgery, she wisely just let time do the repair. She was off the tour for 6 months. Yet she came back to win 3 more Wimbledon's after that, and get to another Wimbledon Final as well. Prolonged rest is really the only option you have with that kind of problem. He probably should play a clay event either in Mexico or South America. It will test his legs, build his stamina, hone his game and more importantly build his confidence again. And get him to ditch at least 1 of the clay events in the spring from his schedule. he won't be long getting back to where he was. And since he took off after Wimbledon, anything beyond Wimbledon's second round to the end of the year means he'll just add points to his total while everyone else will have to defend.

This isn't the Sampras type of slow withdrawal from tennis. Nadal is giving updates on his status about his return regularly. No one could ever get a word out of Sampras at all. We subsequently found out that shortly after wining the US Open in 2002 that Sampras told Patrick McEnroe he decided on the plane ride back to LA from the Open that he was almost 100% sure he was done. Nadal likely wouldn't be this talkative to the press, promising to return if he knew he was done.

antonico

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 29 Dec 2012, 2:08 am

Josiah, can we have more cats? Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:00 am

As expected Nadal pulls out of AO, it makes more sense as he would have less practice and confidence taking on top guns and another set back would hurt his confidence real bad.

But now the what have to be seen his how well he would respond in clay season, if he doesn't get a head start its gonna dent his confidence real bad and I won't be surprised him calling the rest of the year again for rest.

Only good thing to have happend out of this injury is Ferrrer being ranked at 4.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 29 Dec 2012, 5:38 am

Chydremion wrote:Funny how many times I hear coming back for AO is a big no-no. More than 100 players play the hardcourt slams every year without problems but when fragile Rafa puts his feet on a harcourt it turns into lava.

Maybe thats why he has won two hc GS... lava or not.
& Multiple Masters...yeah he surely is a one surface wonder. !!
Coming back after 7mths and knees still unfit yes AO is a no go as a first tournament back not hard to understand really .... honest !!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 29 Dec 2012, 7:46 am

Very sad to see people with dark suspicions about Rafa. Frankly, it seems clear to me that Rafa is being sensible and waiting until he feels absolutely right about his knee. The virus may just be an invention but I doubt it and as he says he can take this further time off to rest up the knee. I mean really those with dark suspicions need to ask themselves serious questions. Why would he not play the Australian Open? If any form of drugs were the reason and these same doubters have been hinting at this for years how come we have never had even one remotely positive test result in all that time? Please do us all a favour and character assasinate somewhere else. Hope to see Rafa back very soon and firing on al cylinders.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next