The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khans next fight.

+10
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
eddyfightfan
Union Cane
mikeymax71
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
All Time Great
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
14 posters

Go down

Khans next fight. Empty Khans next fight.

Post by hampo17 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

I'm hearing from different places that Khan is trying to get a fight with Senchenko at the Manchester Arena in April with Ogogo making his pro debut on the undercard.

Anyone see this coming off? Easy win for Khan or a hard nights work?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Khans next fight. Empty Re: Khans next fight.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:57 pm

Easy win.........If you're going to beat Khan you need a decent punch......

He is a poor Man's Tommy Hearns...we all saw what Tommy did to the Mark Medal's of this world that couldn't hurt him....

Fair play to the kid no one has ever outboxed him a la Tommy..

However he is a bit thick and has thrown fights away...rather than lose them..and he ain't gonna change!!

If he'd stuck to Boxing and stayed behind a jab he'd still be unbeaten!!

Senchenko is garbage..no brainer...Khan shutout till round seven...

Then bye bye ko 7..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

Khan TKO. Too fast, will stick to the jab and Senchenko is not the biggest cracker.

Swollen and damaged face will promt the ref in around 8-9.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:12 pm

"Swollen and damaged face will prompt the ref"..

Must be an easy fight If he can damage the ref's face as well...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm

My only question would be "What's in it for Khan?" Is Senchenko now in demand after beating up the ghost of Ricky Hatton? Has it somehow made him "the man of the moment"? Does beating Senchenko somehow make Khan a Marquee fighter once more? Extremely doubtful.

Whilst it may not be a step backwards after the Molina fight, it's hardly a huge stride forwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:20 pm

Would appreciate a contribution on my Leonard - Duran thread from you Dave!!

I'm assuming you've heard of them!!... Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:23 pm

Leonard Nimoy and Duran Duran...course I have.

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:23 pm

First fight at 147lb vs. a former champ. Makes sense if he's struggling to make 140lbs. Given he's not known for his punch resistance, going against someone with a low KO percentage ratio would make sense for his first venture at 147lbs.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

The only reason's I can think of why this fight will be made is that khan is OFFICIALLY going to welterweight and wants to get used to the weight before he jumps in with a Ortiz, Guerrero etc

I don't think he should go to 147 but we don't know how he feels as he's adamant that he hits hard at 151-153 lbs in sparring.

I accept that his first fight under Hunter wasn't going to be great and Molina allowed him to get use dto his camp without ever being in any trouble, but for his second fight he should be stepping up as Senchenko has been beaten by an ex victim in malignaggi.

If it does happen, Senchnko is too old, too slow and can't hit hard enough and Khan should beat him inside the distance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Khan says he isn't struggling to make 140 and has said that for a while now.

Whilst it may make sense for him to ease himself in at 147, there's a difference between padding out his record, marking time, testing whether he's going to have long term hand trouble and making a valid claim to be considered worthy of a title shot at WW.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:31 pm

Why waste time....

He is what he is....Get in there with Garcia and Petersen and start rebuilding a legacy while he's still in his prime..

Got to start putting his losses right..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

he needs to clear up those two at LWW (in style) and then I think he makes enough of a statement to be able to avoid "introduction" or "tester" fights at WW.

He's either good enough or he isn't and, on a more mercenary level, does he want to risk a career ending loss against someone who isn't going to stick a shedload of money into his bank account? There's can't be many more rebuilding opportunities left for Khan.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:58 pm

Pointless fight IMO. If he stay at 140 and he says he has no trouble making it then there are far more viable and worthy fights there. If he is serious about going to 147 then the likes of Berto as a credible ex-champ are waiting.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:00 pm

Blindingly obvious to me that this will be marketed as Khan getting "Revenge for Ricky", a cynical ploy to try to get Ricky's army of fans supporting Khan as he rebuilds his career.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 2:03 pm

khan basically trades on his speed.....His defence is basically getting in and getting out without being tagged...

Surely for fighters of Khan's ilk... it's better to fight the big fights now while he is 26 and still fresh......because as we know speed is a gift that doesn't stay constant or forever at the lower weights..

Khan becomes ordinary when it goes..as mikey say's the time for pointless garbage has gone..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 17 Jan 2013, 5:22 pm

not a bad fight, khan needs a bit of confidence back, and a bit of time to click with hunter- senchko is a recognizable name after beating hatton so it will sell, and a step in the right direction for khan. why rush he is only 25

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

Why does Khan need his confidence back? He argued that he should have won against Petersen and that the drug issue made the difference. He also states that whilst Garcia won fairly, he also got lucky (not quite sure how that works) but publicly called him out after the fight with Molina. If that's not confidence I don't know what is.

Senchenko's win against Hatton? If that somehow makes him the dangerman of the division then boxing is so far on it's ar$e it'll never recover. What next? Fury beating Holyfield and suddenly becoming the single most dangerous fighter to the K Bros?

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:33 pm

Not really that bad, if it's his first fight at 147 and only his second fight under Hunter, cut him some slack, he wants to fight the best but he knows he has to wait a little first and just get himself fully prepared for the big guys with what Hunter's trying to instil upon him, nothing wrong with that in my view, but some people will never be happy.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:45 pm

He was "fully prepared" under Freddie Roach....until it all went wrong. Now it seems he needs a confidence boost and time to get himself fully prepared...again! Fighting Senchenko isn't likely to tell us anything about Khan we don't already know just as fighting Molina didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

He's a decent fighter when he maintains his discipline. Sadly he has far too many lapses in concentration compounded by rushes of blood to the head. Hunter isn't going to be able to train that out of him and, my guess is that, if he does, Khan loses something of himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:45 pm

The kind of fight I wanted Khan to take, should be an easy win for him and gives him the chance to work on the things he's been doing in training, he's need another fight or two before going in with the big boys again.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:54 pm

Trouble with Khan is that it's easy to put in practice what he's learned when there's nothing coming back at him. It's when there's return fire that Khan struggles and then he reverts to type. It's ingrained in him and ends up being his downfall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:55 pm

unfortunately its a great fight for khan. senchenko beating hatton back into retirement makes this an easy fight for khan to sell in the UK. khans stock is a bit low at the moment but there will be a lot of casual fans who would jump on the bandwagon if this fight was well marketed, which im sure it would be. khan may want to be the best and is rightly looking to improve, but hes still run, matched and marketed by business men. senchenko is now pretty famous and an easy fight to win. they will be lining up to fight him. senchenko might just see this as a big fight he has a chance in too. i think khan is trying to relaunch his career back in britain before fighting in the states again, and a packed out MEN arena against senchenko is probably as good as its gonna get for him right now, money wise at least.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Trouble with Khan is that it's easy to put in practice what he's learned when there's nothing coming back at him. It's when there's return fire that Khan struggles and then he reverts to type. It's ingrained in him and ends up being his downfall.

Possibly, however his team may as well give him every chance to reinvent himself.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:16 pm

One more slip up and Khan can forget hitting the big time but he's also not going to move forward taking these low risk fights a la Molina

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

DAVE667 wrote:One more slip up and Khan can forget hitting the big time but he's also not going to move forward taking these low risk fights a la Molina

Well, that is one way of looking at it, another way of looking at it is Khan is getign a chance to put into practice everything that he's been learning in training with Hunter out o the big stage with a chance to get away with a couple of mistakes he's been making until he's ready to fight in that manner against a top opponent, therefore moving forward, perhaps slower, but less risk because if he goes in against a top name now and gets flattneed that is pretty much the end. May as wlel be as prepared as he possibly can be.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

As I said Alex, time and again, when Khan's been up against it, he reverts to type and slugs it out. He got away with it against Maidana but a more clinical puncher let alone a heavier puncher will end his career. Say what you like about Berto and Ortiz but at some stage, when they land on Khan, he won't get on his bike, he'll start throwing leather and everything he's working on with Hunter will be redundant.

Khan's rightly looking for the big money fights but these soft forays into the division aren't going to make him a big sell.

He doesn't need to learn anything new, he needs to "unlearn" the desire to go to war as he already possesses enough in the locker to make his life much easier. Sadly, I think he's going down the Hatton route and sacrificing his boxing for being a crowd pleaser which isn't going to end well for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:khan basically trades on his speed.....His defence is basically getting in and getting out without being tagged...

Surely for fighters of Khan's ilk... it's better to fight the big fights now while he is 26 and still fresh......because as we know speed is a gift that doesn't stay constant or forever at the lower weights..

Khan becomes ordinary when it goes..as mikey say's the time for pointless garbage has gone..

I'd agree with most of this, Khan needs to make the best use of his athletic prime while it lasts.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:09 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
He doesn't need to learn anything new, he needs to "unlearn" the desire to go to war as he already possesses enough in the locker to make his life much easier. Sadly, I think he's going down the Hatton route and sacrificing his boxing for being a crowd pleaser which isn't going to end well for him.

Well, taking that into account, then what is the point in him carrying on? Supposedly he has no chance due to him not being able to change. It is rather clear when you were watching Khans camp and what Hunter was saying that is exactly what he is trying to do with him, so again as I've said a good chance to put it into practice, and he needs to get a better defence and smarter punch variation and head movement and a better inside game which is something that Hunter is already ptuting on him. But nah, forget all that, he just needs to unlearn to go to war, if he can't do that then anyone with half a punch can beat him. Christ.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:28 pm

Jesus, I said he already has the speed and punch variety to give most fighters trouble WITHOUT the need to engage with those heavier handed than him. He completely outfoxed Maidana and then almost threw it all away

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 17 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm

You can't train it out of people that easily and like Taylor and Hearns before him he's not going to change, it is who he is.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:38 am

If khan was to move up to 147, then he can only face Senchenko or Malignaggi.

If he goes in with Ortiz, Guerrero or Berto - he gets his head ripped off.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:42 am

DAVE667 wrote:Jesus, I said he already has the speed and punch variety to give most fighters trouble WITHOUT the need to engage with those heavier handed than him. He completely outfoxed Maidana and then almost threw it all away

I don't remember him standing and trading with Maidana. From memory he got caught with a good shot which really shook him up and he got straight on his bike and actually grabbed on for life in that fight.

I've always thought that coming through that did him more harm than good because he started believing he had a granite chin and was happier to stand and trade rather than box behind a sharp jab and use his athletic ability which really is second to none.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 1:00 pm

At times, much like he did with Petersen, he simply stood there and let his man tee off on him. Given how badly he was hurt against Maidaina at times, I believe a more accurate puncher would have finished him off inside the distance.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:14 pm

Great match up. A former world champ who KTFO of Hatton. What more do people want. Its not as though he's going in there against some stiff like Matty Hatton. This guy is leagues above anyone that semi illiterate Brook has ever got near.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:24 pm

Ah so the first person hailing it to be a great match up on the back of beating Hatton has appeared.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm

A former world champ ghosty. Stepping up to WW against a former champ is a positive step. The guy proved himself by beating Hatton also. He is now known here and it should sell. Its not like some Tijuana taxi driver or something that many British ex world champs are fed.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:31 pm

Well it's a decent match up nothing more than that, an easy win for Khan, it's purely a fight to allow him to try new things. Senchenko himself offers no threat, he doesn't do anything particularly well but will sell off the back of Hatton, no less no more.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 Jan 2013, 7:01 pm

And exactly what is needed. Its a very good match up especially in this country where lets face it, marquis names are hardly queuing up to come. All the action is in USA.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:52 pm

senchko is actually a decent fighter, and if anyone is assuming he will stand there and take all khans shots without putting up a fight, there wrong- he comes to win no matter what. he was been mentioned as a tune up for manny, so its not like hes not got a good rep in boxing circles.

i cant get the logic of 1 loss is the end of his career, yet he should jump straight in with the big boys again after 2 defeats and a KO loss. he changed for the better under roach, and i think hunter is one of if not the best trainer out there, so i dont see why he cant improve again.

also with peterson fighting holt and garcia zab i dont think either of them are trying to set the world alight with big fights, garcia especially is cashing in big time on past it fighters.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

Hello we have a Khan fan....who's bigging up Senchko already...

He's so good Hatton picked him for a comeback fight after being for a couple of years!!

Leave it out..

He's just slapped Molina about he doesn't need anymore "gifts"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 19 Jan 2013, 5:06 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:senchko is actually a decent fighter, and if anyone is assuming he will stand there and take all khans shots without putting up a fight, there wrong- he comes to win no matter what. he was been mentioned as a tune up for manny, so its not like hes not got a good rep in boxing circles.

i cant get the logic of 1 loss is the end of his career, yet he should jump straight in with the big boys again after 2 defeats and a KO loss. he changed for the better under roach, and i think hunter is one of if not the best trainer out there, so i dont see why he cant improve again.

also with peterson fighting holt and garcia zab i dont think either of them are trying to set the world alight with big fights, garcia especially is cashing in big time on past it fighters.

You know Senchenko is older than both Judah and Holt, at least they were good at one time

How to you base senchenko as being a good decent fighter? Beating Hatton, hatto was doing well untill he gassed or by the malignaggi fight, malignaggi was far too quick for senchenko so who knows how slow he will look agaisnt khan who has shown that he is alot faster than Malignaggi

What does Khan learn/gain from Senchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 5:30 pm

Obviously it gives him a bit of time to fine tuning whatever he's working on with his new trainer against a decent, but not overly dangerous, opponent. If the fight is at WW then it also gives him a fight to adjust to the new weight.

Sounds perfectly sensible, especially given that he'd lost the last two fights he'd had against world level operators.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down