The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khans next fight

+26
spencerclarke
bellchees
manos de piedra
seanmichaels
Lumbering_Jack
OasisBFC
Mind the windows Tino.
AlexHuckerby
Gerry SA
rapidringsroad
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
melv500
Liam
TechInept
Steffan
88Chris05
bhb001
Diggers
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Boxtthis
ShahenshahG
JabMachineMK2
Bartley Gorman
Valero's Conscience
Rich1066
hampo17
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Khans next fight Empty Khans next fight

Post by hampo17 Tue 18 Dec - 7:20

Will apparently be against Victor Ortiz in April. Not sure what to make of this as it would probably mean Khan going up to 147.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Khans next fight Empty Re: Khans next fight

Post by Rich1066 Tue 18 Dec - 7:25

Unless khan is struggling to make the weight he should not move up to 147 yet. If he struggles to take a punch at 140 then at welterweight that problem will be worse. Plus he doesn't have one punch knockout power and at the higher weight his punches will have less effect. Plus has unfinished buisness, Garcia and Peterson. Has more chance winning a title back at light welter but if he is realy struggling with the weight then may hve no choice

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 18 Dec - 8:00

A dangerous fight if true. I have a soft spot for Ortiz and think he has so much potential and always good to watch.

Ortiz definately has the power to stop Khan but Khan has the skill to keep him at bay, whther he can for 12 rounds will be the telling question.

I reckon they'll get Ortiz to go down to LWW.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Tue 18 Dec - 9:01

If this fight goes ahead at 147 then its the end of Khan's career.

No doubt about it whatsoever, as far as im concerned.

Although he fought well in his comeback fight, he was still massively open to left hooks and, to coin a Kevin Rooney phrase, Otiz thows punches with bad intentions.

The way Molina was able to absorb Khans punches leaves me in no doubt that Ortiz would walk straight through him and stop him in the mid rounds.

Its essential that Khan stays at 140, where i think he could still have a massive future.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 18 Dec - 9:12

Hmmm. I like Khan, I thought he did well at the weekend, sparing a few shaky moments that you always get with Khan!

Not sure about this fight - Khan always manages to make a complete hash of easy fights we expect him to win (Peterson, Garcia, Prescott) and blisters through and puts on amazing performances in hard fights (Kotelnik, Maidana, Judah)

With this fight being his hardest yet in my eyes - I hope we see the very best Khan, I am however inclined to admit this seems to be the end for Khan. 147 will be the weight, and Ortiz really is very good when he causes damage - if Khan fights him, he'll have to run like a dog for the first 5 or 6 rounds.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 18 Dec - 9:20

Might be too big a jump. I was hoping he could get Peterson or Garcia next.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 18 Dec - 9:21

If anything like the Ortiz that turned up to fight Berto emerges again across from Khan then it would be Khan's nightmare. I can't see this seriously being a match up that Khan is considering. Ortiz is a huge WW, and he can punch, he can pressure, he can fight on the inside, he has decent punch variety, he's not slow or crude (like Maidana) - a nightmare for Khan.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Dec - 9:54

I really don't rate Khan's power at 140 or that he feels that when he weighs 151 he blows people over, but Lopez wasn't a heavy handed lightwelter and he managed to hurt Ortiz a couple times so it isn't out of the question that Ortiz will walk through him as he isn't the strongest either in the chin department

The problem is Khan chin and if it doesn't improve with the jump up in weight he will be in serious trouble as Ortiz is among the the heaviest punchers in boxing today and throws his shots to hurt his opponent.

Khan did what he had to against Molina, but Molina still found the target and got on the inside enough to suggest Ortiz won't have too much problem and while Molina is a featherfisted lightweight Ortiz is a heavy handed welterweight which could end up disastrously

Khan injured both hands in the Molina fight which isn't a good sign (roach said that he has a reccuring injury wit his right hand before the molina fight) and should take a while to heal and he will need to remain healthy if he is to stand a chance against Ortiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Dec - 10:00

I thought Khan was really impressive at the weekend. As far as Im concerned Khan will have a chance against anyone, he may not be knocking people out in his last few fights but he certainly isnt a powder puff puncher, there is plenty of damage being caused. He fought to a gameplan and could have won earlier IMO but he loves to fight and was enjoying himself.
Some fights he may well get sparked but when he doesnt he is going to be right in the mix with anybody, and if the fight with Ortiz does happen at welter I think Khan will also be big at the weight.
But once again more than anything it proves that Khan is willing to take tough fights with risks attached and he deserves massive credit for that.

Last edited by Diggers on Tue 18 Dec - 11:55; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 18 Dec - 11:49

Yep Khan is not shy about taking tough assignments.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 18 Dec - 12:21

Boxtthis wrote:Yep Khan is not shy about taking tough assignments.

That at least is to his credit. Good luck to the lad

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Dec - 12:44

Doesn't want to fall into the category of being the go-to guy to get to world level

I admire him for wanting the best but may need to iron some things out before he takes the jump into the deep end again

He is 26 so he still has a while to get back into the swing of things as only Ortiz and Garcia i can think of are younger than him around LWW and WW so no rush

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 18 Dec - 13:02

If this is true, then it's one hell of a gamble (assuming that it's scheduled to be at 147 lb, which I think it'd have to be).

Ortiz can whack a bit, which is a reason to be weary in itself, but what did he weigh come fight night when he boxed Mayweather - 164 lb, was it? Peterson only had half a stone or so on Khan come fight night (well, half a stone and perhaps a little something extra given what's emerged since!) and was able to force Khan back and make it a phone booth brawl. Ortiz would likely have a whole stone on Khan by the time that bell rings.

Khan's got the tools to box ring around Ortiz but it would have to be the most focussed, disciplined and safety-first performance of his life. Maybe Virgil Hunter has reinvigorated him, but on the basis of the Molina fight (which was still a good performance, don't get me wrong) he's maybe still one more fight away from being ready to jump in to the real make or break fights like this.

Taking aside the concerns over Khan, however, it would be a cracking fight for the neutral. Both great offensively, both flawed defensively, both in a potentially make or break situation with regards to their hopes of securing mega fights down the line and both with plenty to prove.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Dec - 13:09

Would be a great fight if it happened. Would love Khan to win this one which he is more than capable of. Just cant but help feel though if Ortiz lands one of the bombs its gonna be another messy stoppage for Amir. Hope not though. Either way bring this fight on

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Tue 18 Dec - 13:17

Would be a great fight to watch, I think of it's fought at 140 it's even, 147 and It has to be Ortiz 70-30. It would be like watching the boxing equivalent of Pacman, khan would be quicker and elusive, picking up the points- but you know somewhere along the line he's going to get caught, at 140 he might survive, at 147 he's out.

As others have aluded, I expect a repeat of the Maidana fight, but with a better Maidana.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich1066 Tue 18 Dec - 13:20

Speaking of which we need a Ortiz Maidana rematch

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Dec - 13:24

This fight will NOT happen at 140

Ortiz moved up because whe was too big for the division and said he was draining himself between the Maidana fight to the Peterson fight hence whe was fading at the halfway stages of fights

As someone mentioned he weighs I anywhere between 160-165 on fight night and has done so against Berto, Maywetaher and Lopez meaning he is well past the lightwelter limit

Khan walks around around 150-154 from reports meaning that he will be outweighed heavily against Ortiz and adding muscle wont help Khan as his biggest asset is his speed which may be affected with the added bulk

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 18 Dec - 13:28

If I was Khan, just take the rematches with Garcia and Peterson. If he overcomes them then move up but I still believe there's a KO waiting for him in the Welterweight division. Ortiz is dangerous, until he headbutted Floyd I thought he was causing him problems, his power had him up against the ropes and who knows what would have happened if he hadn't headbutted him.

They need a couple of light hitters in the Welterwight division for Khan when he does move up (Baring that he doesn't lose again at LWW) to get used to the increase in size of fighters. But, for me, he will never be a top level fighter at WW because his chin just isn't strong enough to take a good punch.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Tue 18 Dec - 14:01

Did I imagine this but didn't Khan stop Ortiz as an amatuer???

anyway that was years ago, at 147 Ortiz wins by KO whilst behind on the scorecards. Wont take any longer than 6 rounds.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 18 Dec - 14:59

Khan will make Ortiz quit AGAIN.

Seriously, the win against Berto being a fight most rush back to think of, apart from that where has his great wins came??

I scath Khan at the best of times but his skill will see him through this one.

Khan has great wins as mentioned, against the likes of Kotelnik, Judah, Maidana, Malagnaggi.

Whereas Ortiz has Berto.........

If Maidana and Lopez can make Ortiz quit, then I am very very confident that Khan will too. Ortiz is a whackjob, just hasn't got the mindset of a real pro.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Tue 18 Dec - 19:25

Can't see that it matters what weight they fight at as they will both have put on pounds between the weigh in and the fight. If Khan can keep away from Ortiz and keep scoring then he has a chance,much as I like Khan I think this fight may be a bit too big a step.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 18 Dec - 22:11

Ortiz will batter Khan in a bloody pulp.

Ortiz is labelled a 'quitter', Khan has no chin. I'd like to see Khan fight on with a double break in his jaw...

One bang from Ortiz and Khan ain't boxing again.

Vicious takes him out inside 6

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 19 Dec - 10:50

Liam wrote:If I was Khan, just take the rematches with Garcia and Peterson. If he overcomes them then move up but I still believe there's a KO waiting for him in the Welterweight division. Ortiz is dangerous, until he headbutted Floyd I thought he was causing him problems, his power had him up against the ropes and who knows what would have happened if he hadn't headbutted him.

Considering he was missing next to every punch I don't think he'd have troubled him too much.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 19 Dec - 10:56

Agree with Alex, in fact I think that the Ortiz headbutt was simply a result of his frustration at having Mayweather on the ropes but not eing able to get through with anything worthwhile. With that, and the farcical knockout which happened moments later, I think he mentally checked out of that fight and I suspect he was glad when it was all over.

There are so, so many different possible outcomes for this fight - Khan walking away with a disqualification win is one of them, given how much of a hot head Victor can be.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Dec - 11:13

AlexHuckerby wrote:

Considering he was missing next to every punch I don't think he'd have troubled him too much.

He wouldn't be the first to miss 'next to every punch' against Floyd though, Alex. He is a defensive genius, the very best of his generation and deserves to be in the mix for the best of all time. Amir is nothing of the sort and unless his new trainer can make massive improvements, Ortiz will be a real handful for him. I don't see Ortiz getting as frustrated as he did with Mayweather, that is for sure.

Having said that, I think Amir would win, but not easily and I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 19 Dec - 11:35

ortiz has a habit of putting his opponents on their backside. he has genuine power. what is khan doing at 147 anyway? he's got work to do in LWW.

once he has done his thing at light welter, i'd be very happy to then see this match up. i like ortiz, he's always exciting - to his downfall sometimes

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 19 Dec - 11:45

Genuinely surprised people see a Khan win. He has the skills no doubt but Ortiz catches him at some point and puts him away. Don't see how Khaan avoids him for 12.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 19 Dec - 12:14

I think it would be a great fight. Both boxers would be on their arses at some point, just depends who'd have the most heart / bouncebackability. Think Khan has more heart but is likely to have less bouncebackability.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 19 Dec - 12:16

Lumbering_Jack wrote:He has the skills no doubt but Ortiz catches him at some point and puts him away. Don't see how Khaan avoids him for 12.

Sums it up for me really. Khan could win by being elusive and by getting in rapid fire ambush-type attacks with his unreal hand speed. However, Khan's 'elusiveness' is almost entirely based on running and circling his opponent. His footwork isn't too hot unless he's comfortably set in his favoured distance, and he has a tendency to retreat backwards in a straight line when in trouble. Plus, he doesn't have an inside defensive game to speak of. I like watching Khan fight - it's always very exciting - but his flaws make me think that he couldn't avoid Ortiz for 12 and that he'd be caught eventually. Still, I'd love to see the fight and find out.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 19 Dec - 12:17

seanmichaels wrote:bouncebackability.

Love that "word" clap

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 19 Dec - 12:24

I don't think Khan has the power to put Ortiz down. When he has been down in the past he seems to recover quickly, and from big shots. When Khan goes down his legs turn to jelly and never recover.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 19 Dec - 12:30

You never know with Ortiz, he seems the sort of guy that can show up some days but not on others. If he fought like he did against Berto then I would back him to overpower Khan. But Khan usually starts well with intent and I think his fast hands and combos can take opponents a while to get used to or catch them cold. So if he could discourage and even hurt Ortiz early you never know. Ortiz could have one of his moments.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 19 Dec - 12:34

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I don't think Khan has the power to put Ortiz down. When he has been down in the past he seems to recover quickly, and from big shots. When Khan goes down his legs turn to jelly and never recover.

agree re khan's bouncebackability. not sure he doesn't have the slap to put Ortiz down though. trying to picture mayweather's ko, i know he was off guard but it looked like a clip rather than one right on the money.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 19 Dec - 12:39

Ortiz is a bit crazy thats for sure. Khan might do enough early to really get to Ortiz as I think Khan carries genuine power early in fights but throws too much too often and by half way his punches arent the same. He had Maidana and Peterson in trouble early and really marked up Molina in the 1st as well but down the stretch against the first two they were walking through him a bit and he seemed to lose the bite in his punches against Molina as well.

That said though Ortiz is also a fast starter and could well decapitate Khan if he lands so I'd pick him to win before the 6th in a real FOTY candidate.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 19 Dec - 12:40

seanmichaels wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:I don't think Khan has the power to put Ortiz down. When he has been down in the past he seems to recover quickly, and from big shots. When Khan goes down his legs turn to jelly and never recover.

agree re khan's bouncebackability. not sure he doesn't have the slap to put Ortiz down though. trying to picture mayweather's ko, i know he was off guard but it looked like a clip rather than one right on the money.

It was two right on the money while he wasn't looking, even from a light puncher like Mayweather if your off guard completely you're in big big trouble, I wouldn't mark Ortiz chin down for that KO.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 19 Dec - 12:43

bellchees wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

It was two right on the money while he wasn't looking, even from a light puncher like Mayweather if your off guard completely you're in big big trouble, I wouldn't mark Ortiz chin down for that KO.
#

yeah, just watched it again. was thinking it was the first shot only (good but not devastating).

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 19 Dec - 13:04

The positives and negatives of each fighter make this an interesting lineup. It depends what attitude and mentality each turn up with on the day. One thing for certain though, fair play to Khan for looking at this as his next fight.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 19 Dec - 13:15

Boxtthis wrote:

Love that "word" clap

bounce back +‎ -ability. First claimed [to have been invented] by Crystal Palace manager, Iain Dowie.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Dec - 13:29

bhb001 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Love that "word" clap

bounce back +‎ -ability. First claimed [to have been invented] by Crystal Palace manager, Iain Dowie.

You live and learn, I hadn't heard that word before. I quite like that.

Talking of clever football managers, did anybody see Lawrie Sanchez on University Challenge t'other night? He gave an answer to something before I had even worked out what the question meant.

Are there any really intelligent boxers other than Nathan Cleverly and Nicky Piper?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 19 Dec - 13:35

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
bhb001 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Love that "word" clap

Talking of clever football managers, did anybody see Lawrie Sanchez on University Challenge t'other night? He gave an answer to something before I had even worked out what the question meant.

Are there any really intelligent boxers other than Nathan Cleverly and Nicky Piper?

Laugh

The Klitschko brothers have diplomas or degrees in something and can speak 7 languages I believe?? Im sure they have relevant qualifications such as Degree/Diplomas in Sports Science/Biology.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 19 Dec - 13:40

I get the feeling Paulie Malignaggi is quite smart even if he isn't the best educated.

Also the Klitschkos both have a few degrees in various things and speak many languages, very smart cookies.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Dec - 13:45

bellchees wrote:

Also the Klitschkos both have a few degrees in various things and speak many languages, very smart cookies.

Aye, those brothers are clever dudes. Matthew Macklin is brainy as well.

I think Marco Antonio Barrera was a trained lawyer so he can't be a thicko either. Although Superfly does kind of prove that being a lawyer is not always a sign of intelligence.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Dec - 13:49

Jason and Nicky Booth are still hiding their not inconsiderable lights under a VERY large bushel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 19 Dec - 13:54

mobilemaster8 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
bhb001 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Love that "word" clap

Laugh

The Klitschko brothers have diplomas or degrees in something and can speak 7 languages I believe?? Im sure they have relevant qualifications such as Degree/Diplomas in Sports Science/Biology.

Not just a degree - they both have PhDs, which is mighty impressive (I can say from first hand as I'm currently writing my PhD thesis up for final submission without the distraction of trying to be a HW boxing champion).

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 19 Dec - 14:06

Good luck with that, Boxtthis. What are you writing it on?

I have neither a degree, a PhD or a boxing championship although I am the hardest person in my household.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 19 Dec - 15:40

I wrote a dissertation on schizophrenia believe it or not.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Dec - 16:00

No you didn't, the real seanmichaels did.

Didn't the K's get honorary PHD's as opposed to having to actually put any effort in? Although with the state of students these days I'm sure anyone prepared to get up before 11am and work until 2.30pm could have one secured by this time next Friday

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 19 Dec - 16:45

I've just been reading on ESB that the other option for Khan is Josesito Lopez who they describe as not much of a puncher. Must have a decent dig on him to break someones jaw.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 19 Dec - 18:26

DAVE667 wrote:No you didn't, the real seanmichaels did.

The porn star?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 19 Dec - 18:38

hampo171 wrote:I've just been reading on ESB that the other option for Khan is Josesito Lopez who they describe as not much of a puncher. Must have a decent dig on him to break someones jaw.

That would be a really good fight for Khan and would like to see it

Lopez got knocked out in his last fight but he was in against a heavy handed lightmiddleweight in Alvarez in a total mismatch. He might count himself a little unlucky to have 5 losses on his record as he hasn't had a lot of luck with judges and gave Jessie Vargas, a top prospect, lots of trouble and should have got the nod. He was down on the cards against Ortiz but he was in the ascendency before he broke his jaw and showed that his chin is sturdy and he has a warrior spirit

The only problem is the weight. Lopez is a natural LWW but bulked up alot for the Canelo fight and entered the ring at about 164lbs. In a recent interview it sounds like he wants to fight at welter next fight which may actually appeal to khan who needs to ease himself into welter instead of going straight in with a banger, and despite stopping Ortiz, Lopez isn't a power puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next