The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread

+5
Steel
Ozzy3213
Pal Joey
davidl1061
Kenny
9 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread - Page 15 Empty The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread

Post by Luke Sat 19 Jan - 0:47

First topic message reminder :

The title of the thread says it all.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread

Post by The Beast Fri 25 Oct - 7:08

Well 5 players from a mid-table Championship side might not on the face of it get pulses racing (4 technically as Rowan Milnes is being loaned back to Bradford).

On the plus side Joe Keyes following a bad injury was excellent at the back end of the season and a big part of the late season form. Elliott Minchella, has been a revelation for me at Bradford. Not a second row (or stand off) but was the potential to be a very solid SL LF, likes Keyes deserves his chance at the higher level. I saw Matty Storton's debut had no-one known it was his debut you would have never known looked completely comfortable and improved again last year. Might be a bit soon for SL but a talent no doubt.

Sending Milnes on loan is sensible, tall stand off with a nice passing game who can make a break but following a broken leg (Fax, Cup Quarter-Final) needs more seasoning to be a SL player IMO.

BTW, I am gutted.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: The Hull Kingston Rovers Thread

Post by Luke Fri 25 Oct - 7:33

Really surprised that it's 4 (new we were after Storton). Solid business, and with a reserve side good additions. Keyes and Minchella have heard lots of good things about both. Storton don't know alot about or Milnes.

Follows our pattern this year of signing young players with something to prove.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 25 Oct - 15:27

The Beast wrote:Well 5 players from a mid-table Championship side might not on the face of it get pulses racing (4 technically as Rowan Milnes is being loaned back to Bradford).

On the plus side Joe Keyes following a bad injury was excellent at the back end of the season and a big part of the late season form.  Elliott Minchella, has been a revelation for me at Bradford.  Not a second row (or stand off) but was the potential to be a very solid SL LF, likes Keyes deserves his chance at the higher level.  I saw Matty Storton's debut had no-one known it was his debut you would have never known looked completely comfortable and improved again last year.  Might be a bit soon for SL but a talent no doubt.

Sending Milnes on loan is sensible, tall stand off with a nice passing game who can make a break but following a broken leg (Fax, Cup Quarter-Final) needs more seasoning to be a SL player IMO.

BTW, I am gutted.
If Anasu Mudoti is coached right and looks after himself he could in my opinion be something special, but will need time

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 25 Oct - 23:03

There won't be a problem for Anasu Mudoti, John Bastian is Head of Development who was outstanding at Bradford.

Just going back to Storton, it is of course dangerous to label players, it is still very early and a step up however there are similarities with John Bateman, not physically imposing but defenders bounce off him seemingly underestimating his strength.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 30 Oct - 11:55

The Beast wrote:There won't be a problem for Anasu Mudoti, John Bastian is Head of Development who was outstanding at Bradford.

Just going back to Storton, it is of course dangerous to label players, it is still very early and a step up however there are similarities with John Bateman, not physically imposing but defenders bounce off him seemingly underestimating his strength.
I do think that if the Robins can hang on to their young players the future is exciting for the club, but as we know certain so called big clubs are always in the background waiting to sign up young talent from other clubs if given the chance.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 14 Nov - 14:26

Rover's have released next year's home top.
A Tribute to the 1980 challenge cup win. It's predominantly white. With a thick red band across the chest, 3 red strips from the red collar down the arm.
It's a typical rovers home top, and abit boring in my opinion.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 14 Nov - 14:46

Super League fixture list released. Rover's games are (* sky games). It should be noted this year there's only one game at easter.

Fri 31st Jan - Wakefield H.
Fri 7th Feb - Hull FC A *.
Fri 14th - Leeds A.
Fri 21st - Huddersfield H.
Thurs 27th - Castleford H *.
Sun 8th March - Wigan A.
Sun 15th - Toronto H *.
Sun 22nd - Warrington H.
Fri 27th - St Helens A.
Fri 10th April (gf) - Hull FC H *.
Fri 17th - Salford A.
Thurs 23rd - Castleford A *.
Thurs 30th - Warrington H *.
Fri 15th May - Wigan A.
Sun 23rd - (MW) Wakefield N *.
Sun 31st - St Helens H.
Fri 12th June - Salford H.
Sat 20th - Toronto A.
Sun 28th - Wigan H.
Sat 4th July - Catalan A.
Thurs 9th - Huddersfield A *.
Sun 26th - Leeds H.
Sun 2nd Aug - Wakefield A.
Fri 7th - Warrington A.
Sun 16th - Toronto H.
Sat 22 - Hull FC A.
Sun 30th - Leeds H.
Fri 4th Sept - Huddersfield A.
Fri 11th Sept - Catalan H.

Obviously no easy fixtures. But I really don't get how they work these fixtures out. How are 2 games v Cas are within 2 months of each other rather than more spread.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 15 Nov - 23:39

Luke wrote:Super League fixture list released. Rover's games are (* sky games). It should be noted this year there's only one game at easter.

Fri 31st Jan - Wakefield H.
Fri 7th Feb - Hull FC A *.
Fri 14th - Leeds A.
Fri 21st - Huddersfield H.
Thurs 27th - Castleford H *.
Sun 8th March - Wigan A.
Sun 15th - Toronto H *.
Sun 22nd - Warrington H.
Fri 27th - St Helens A.
Fri 10th April (gf) - Hull FC H *.
Fri 17th - Salford A.
Thurs 23rd - Castleford A *.
Thurs 30th - Warrington H *.
Fri 15th May - Wigan A.
Sun 23rd - (MW) Wakefield N *.
Sun 31st - St Helens H.
Fri 12th June - Salford H.
Sat 20th - Toronto A.
Sun 28th - Wigan H.
Sat 4th July - Catalan A.
Thurs 9th - Huddersfield A *.
Sun 26th - Leeds H.
Sun 2nd Aug - Wakefield A.
Fri 7th - Warrington A.
Sun 16th - Toronto H.
Sat 22 - Hull FC A.
Sun 30th - Leeds H.
Fri 4th Sept - Huddersfield A.
Fri 11th Sept - Catalan H.

Obviously no easy fixtures. But I really don't get how they work these fixtures out. How are 2 games v Cas are within 2 months of each other rather than more spread.
Not the most difficult start for the Robins, but the Hull derby could be spicy in only the 2nd game of the season

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 9 Dec - 5:03

Jamie Ellis & Ryan Brierley interesting signings. I must admit to be slightly concerned that KR have signed a number of Championship players but if anyone can get the best out of them it is Tony Smith.

There are worse signings.........over to the Bulls thread.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 9 Dec - 9:17

The Beast wrote:Jamie Ellis & Ryan Brierley interesting signings.  I must admit to be slightly concerned that KR have signed a number of Championship players but if anyone can get the best out of them it is Tony Smith.

If i was a Robins fan i wouldn't be inspired by these 2 signings

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 21 Dec - 21:32

Not sure about this;

Hull KR recruitment 2021

Does the Chairman not like his 2020 squad? Sends a strange message IMO, we've signed you but want better next year???

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 22 Dec - 21:44

The Beast wrote:Jamie Ellis & Ryan Brierley interesting signings.  I must admit to be slightly concerned that KR have signed a number of Championship players but if anyone can get the best out of them it is Tony Smith.

Don't like the Ellis signing. I don't rate home, and we have Abdul to perform that job on the pitch.
But do like the Brierley signing. He offers something different, and can cover a few positions. Could be our most underrated signing.
I'm not overly bothered about the signings, players who are hungry, something to prove, think it's an interesting way to go. Could be good, and form a decent squad for years to come.

Rover's away kit (which I've got), is blue, with a red collar and band across the centre. It looks really smart.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 22 Dec - 21:46

The Beast wrote:Not sure about this;

Hull KR recruitment 2021

Does the Chairman not like his 2020 squad?  Sends a strange message IMO, we've signed you but want better next year???

Not sure. Think they're going to cut quite a few players, and really depends on who's on the market.
The main aim this year is to just stay up I feel, and then move forward possibly.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 22 Dec - 21:56

Rover's squad numbers.

1- Adam Quinlan.
2- Ben Crooks.
3- Shaun Kenny-Dowall.
4- Kane Linnett.
5- Greg Minikin.
7- Jordan Abdull.
8- Robbie Mulhern.
9- Matt Parcell.
10- Mose Masoe.
11- Weller Hauraki.
12- Harvey Livett.
13- Dean Hadley.
14- Mitch Garbutt
15- George Lawler.
16- Dan Murray
17- Kyle Trout.
18- Jez Litten.
19- Will Dagger.
20- Mikey Lewis.
21- Owen Harrison.
22- Nick Rawsthorne.
23- Ethan Ryan.
24- Joe Keyes.
25- Matty Gee.
26- Will Maher.
27- Elliot Minchella.
28- Matty Storton.
29- Anesu Mudoti.
30- Jamie Ellis.
31- Ryan Brierley.

Lots of players in a few positions. But it's a squad that I feel can bring excitement.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 22 Dec - 21:58

Luke wrote:

Hull KR recruitment 2021

Does the Chairman not like his 2020 squad?  Sends a strange message IMO, we've signed you but want better next year???

Not sure. Think they're going to cut quite a few players, and really depends on who's on the market.
The main aim this year is to just stay up I feel, and then move forward possibly.

I should add that quite a few signings are for 1 year, andd there's a few who's contracts end this year. So that could be part of the thinking as well.
Added with the proposed work around the stadium.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 27 Dec - 19:21

Hull KR recruitment 2021

Suggests to me he doesn't trust Tony Smiths judgement.
This could end in tears

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 28 Dec - 23:24

Smith's judgement or his own? Doesn't seem like a good way to sell tickets. A shame as it is IMO a solid squad certainly plenty of strike out wide and I think the ex-Bulls particularly Keyes, Mini & Storton will go well if given a decent run.

Agree on the shirt Luke, the blue and red is a smart combination.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 30 Dec - 8:27

I think it's more a case of sorting everything out this year (apparently we are no where near the salary cap), with regards the new reserve, academy etc. And like I said, alot of players come off contract at the end of the season. So looking at the young players this season, sorting out a style to play. And then building next year.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 9 Jan - 7:13

Luke wrote:I think it's more a case of sorting everything out this year (apparently we are no where near the salary cap), with regards the new reserve, academy etc. And like I said, alot of players come off contract at the end of the season. So looking at the young players this season, sorting out a style to play. And then building next year.
With the new players it will take at least 6 games to see where the team are going this year

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 17 Jan - 17:01

As beast's thread says. Mose Masoe after suffering a spinal injury in Sunday's friendly defeat at Wakefield, has been forced to retire.
Best wishes to him and his family.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 19 Jan - 20:41

Masoe is shocking terrible news, again best wishes to him. Thankfully he is at a quality club with people like Tony Smith who will be looking out for him.

I see you now also have Weller Hauraki out for some time. I will be interested in how the ex-Bulls players fare, they will certainly need to step up.

I think (in time) KR will also benefit from John Bastian being there, patience required but any talented juniors will be well coached and skills developed.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 19 Jan - 22:45

In a strange way the fact we bought in 6 can help them. As they already now each others game, and us a benefit to starting out. Personally I think Ryan and Minchella will be the 2 who break through this season.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 20 Jan - 2:38

Luke wrote:In a strange way the fact we bought in 6 can help them. As they already now each others game, and us a benefit to starting out. Personally I think Ryan and Minchella will be the 2 who break through this season.
Agreed

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 1 Feb - 20:07

Great start last night Luke 6 tries to 2. Pleased but not surprised to see that Matty Storton started at SR. IMO you have an uncut diamond. I saw his debut it was like Bateman's first game i.e. looked completed at home.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 1 Feb - 23:01

Yes, an important win given our next 2 are away Hull & Leeds. From what I heard, typical first game of the season, scrappy and not great. But as we know it's the results at the moment that are important.
. Minchella came on from the bench as well. I still think other than Keyes (who along with Ellis I'm not sure why we signed them), the players we got from Bradford are decent and will be good.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 1 Feb - 23:33

Very good win for the Robins ans pleased for Tony Smith as i always liked him as a coach.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 9 Feb - 8:56

Not a bad showing last night, but Hull FC had the power in the pack to overpower us. And fully deserved the win.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 10 Feb - 2:36

Luke wrote:Not a bad showing last night, but Hull FC had the power in the pack to overpower us. And fully deserved the win.

I saw the game which was excellent. I thought your guys put in an excellent shift and scored a great try. I do think Smith is right to be more expansive with the lack of size and experience in the forwards. Surprised to see Minchella as interchange hooker!, to be honest I was not overly impressed with Brierley in the halves.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 13 Feb - 23:45

To be fair, Brierley was behind a beaten pack. But yeah don't think he was great. Once we get a few back, be interesting.
Biggish game this week against Leeds. Nice to continue our fairly good form at headingley recently.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 17 Feb - 13:22

Only seen the highlights on YouTube.
Defence was absolutely pathetic with Leeds scoring some very easy tries. Worrying but an expected 2 defeats.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 19 Feb - 23:45

Luke wrote:Only seen the highlights on YouTube.
Defence was absolutely pathetic with Leeds scoring some very easy tries. Worrying but an expected 2 defeats.
I didn't see a defeat that big happening if I'm honest

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 23 Feb - 20:14

To be honest I think Friday night's home defeat to the Giants might be more telling than the Leeds loss. Hope I am wrong but it is looking like a long season without some replacement forwards asap.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 24 Feb - 1:19

The Beast wrote:To be honest I think Friday night's home defeat to the Giants might be more telling than the Leeds loss.  Hope I am wrong but it is looking like a long season without some replacement forwards asap.
I think you are right and i must confess i wasn't impressed with their preseason signings.
I wish them all the best and at this early stage i will predict its a 2 horse race with Toronto who will be relegated

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 25 Feb - 4:49

Agree, we've not improved our defence which has been poor for years. But because of the amount of signings our attack looks rubbish as well.
It's more the amount of signings, we didn't need to sign 4 HBS.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 26 Feb - 3:37

No Mulhearn this week (suspended), hopefully calls are being made to get someone in.......sharpish.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 29 Feb - 0:19

Sadly after last night's defeat it look like its going to be a long season for the Robins

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 29 Feb - 4:14

It was disheartening just how easy cas made breaks and yards.
Effort was there, but need more than that if we're going to stay up.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 2 Mar - 7:56

Luke wrote:It was disheartening just how easy cas made breaks and yards.

Yes, 2-3 experienced forwards ideally with some size/impact asap. Minchella at interchange hooker.......very strange

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 4 Mar - 18:16

The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:It was disheartening just how easy cas made breaks and yards.

Yes,  2-3 experienced forwards ideally with some size/impact asap.  Minchella at interchange hooker.......very strange
The more the season goes on it's clear that the Robins will need to beat Toronto home and away

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 8 Mar - 4:48

Well I'm getting to go tomorrow, expecting us to lose by at least 20, but it will be good to see them for the first time this season.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 8 Mar - 21:32

Luke wrote:Well I'm getting to go tomorrow, expecting us to lose by at least 20, but it will be good to see them for the first time this season.

Hopefully at least a competitive game. Hope Ethan Ryan goes well.

If Toronto continue to play as they did against Leeds and you will have nothing to worry about, non-existent defence.

I would have liked to see the Bulls/Sheffield game today however the K.O. is 6:15pm which is a non-starter on the basis of work early tomorrow.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 9 Mar - 5:13

Well despite the defeat, we played okay and put In a shift with alot of effort. Couple of cheap Wigan shots, that if been punished added with a couple of tries that were disallowed for debatable forward passes would have made it even more interesting.
But can't complain to much. Wigan more clinical, and in Finch is an absolute class player.

Ryan okay, didn't really get the ball, Minchella as starting hooker was abit of an eye opener. But as I said all the players put on a good effort.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 9 Mar - 6:52

Sounds like a excellent effort in the circumstances and yes there is talk of cannonball/late tackles. Flower I believe on report.

Tricky cup game v Leigh up next.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 9 Mar - 23:46

It was a great shift, and the players can be proud of there efforts.
Sort of feel we need to win, if just to get a win and build confidence up. But Leigh will be up for it, so should be a good game.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 15 Mar - 3:20

Peteru signed up for the rest of the season. Has size and experience, are the fans "happy" with this Luke?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 15 Mar - 22:02

Yes, as in terms of its another body, and it's a win deal seeing as we've got him to the end of the season. So he's playing for a longer contract.

Setting off for today's game in a few minutes, despite only having a squad of 20, have a few back.
Think this could be a decent game, Leigh have a strong squad. And at this moment it is a very tight game to call
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 16 Mar - 21:51

Well we got the win.

Thought we were the better side, Leigh had the smarter player's. When we stopped going side to side,and pointless offloads and straightened out our attack looked threatening, blew a number of one in ones. And defensively we were good.
Leigh looked okay, played the conditions and scoreline well. Just discipline let them down.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 17 Mar - 5:28

7 seconds. You have been on the wrong end of those, good news well played Leigh have a strong squad.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 24 Jun - 3:21

Sounds like you are taking Rowan Milnes back "early" to finish the campaign, Smith reportedly seeing him as a SL stand off.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 25 Jun - 1:37

The Beast wrote:Sounds like you are taking Rowan Milnes back "early" to finish the campaign, Smith reportedly seeing him as a SL stand off.
A young lad who has a future in the game, if he's not rushed.
A balancing act for Tony Smith to give him Super League experience, but not over exposing him

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next