The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - 19th January - The Return!

+2
BoxingFan88
AlexHuckerby
6 posters

Go down

Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - 19th January - The Return! Empty Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - 19th January - The Return!

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Jan 2013, 6:22 pm

Yes, I know how all must feel, the longing, the yearning the need to read some terrible predictions, however, now you all get what you were waiting for, ME!

Boxing is back! Finally...

So here's my breakdown of all the fights of note for tonight (Sorry this is coming late, there's no real excuse other than I'm pretty lazy) and as always, feel free to use this thread as the Live Fight Discussion thread.

Kal Yafai Vs. Gonzalo Garcia - BantamWeight - Wolverhamtpon - Sky Sports

Well there isn't much to say or really all that much in the way of predicting, if I go with Yafai and get it right, I don't think I'll go on about it too much after i get it right. Garcia, I really know nothing about, other than he's a Mexican who's probably pretty tough and can take a punch and only been stopped once. Generally these guys tha go around the Mexican circuit who win as many as they lose are real tough SOBs so he will bring the pain only to get out classed.

My Fight Prediction - Yafai stoppage 6th.

Alex's Special fight Review - A 2 Star Fight.

Sergey Kevalev Vs. Gabriel Campillo - Light Heavyweight - USA - NBC Sports

A fight that many over on these shores won't know much about, Campillo is a very good skillful LHW and he, in my view, was robbed by Tarvoris Cloud, so he has very good pedigree. Sergey Kevalev is starting to make a name for himself, this is a big step up for him having never fought someone at the level of Campillo, however the level underneath he has looked pretty impressive. Dispatching 17 of the 19 opponents within the distance. Not seen a whole lot of his fights but from what I have seen he looks pretty heavy handed.

My Fight Prediction: Campillo to take a slight upset decision after staying away from Kevalev's power and doing a similar job on him that he did to Cloud, but Kevalev could get a KO at any point so Campillo will have to be very careful.

Alex's Special Fight Review - A 3 and a half Star fight.

Roman Martinez Vs. Juan Carlos Burgos - Super Featherweight - Madison Square Garden - HBO Sports

Interesting little scrap for the WBO Super Featherweight title here. Martinez has not fought very much since his defeat to Ricky Burns, after that fight Martinez's stock plummeted after it was pretty high over here after ripping apart Nicky Cook. I think this will be his third fight in 3 years, which simply isn't active enough. He's had one decent win over Miguel Beltran Jr. since which could have gone either way in my view but simply hasn't been in the ring enough. On the other hand you have Burgos who is a decent little fighter, started out at Featherweight and was built up to be a pretty decent force, but then he got well beaten in a title challenge against Hasegawa. Since then he's come to SFW and has gone on a little roll since and stopped Cesar Vasquez convingly in his last fight within 3.

My fight Prediction: A tough one to call to be honest but I feel Burgos may just eek out a decision here.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 4 Star Fight.

Gennady Golovkin Vs. Gabriel Rosado - Middleweight - Madison Square Garden - HBO Sports

The beast, GGG, hyped to the heavens by the more hardcore boxing fans around the world. However, he really is still to step in with a genuinely top class Middleweight, and in Rosado, he isn't really even facing a Middleweight. Turning down a catchweight is all well and good but, my goodness I think it was a bad idea. He needs every advantage he could get, because everything is stacked against him in this fight.

Golovkin has looked an actual beast, and supposedly has to fight at Middleweight because he literally won't be touched at Light Middle as everyone is scared stiff of him, and I can see why. However, again the point has to be made, he hasn't stepped in with a top class opponent yet, Proska was the best name on his record and he is around European level, though it must be said, the job he did on him was chilling.

Put simply here I don't see how Rosado wins, the better names on his record is Jesus Soto Karass and thats at Light Middle, Golovkin could do some serious damage here to Rosado, the only problem is, how will this fight make the rest of the Middles want to get in the ring with him? I don't think it will.

My Fight Prediction: Rosado to take an absolute beatdown and get KO'd in the 6th.

Alex's Special Fight Review - A 4 Star Fight

Orlando Salido Vs. Miguel Angel Garcia - Featherweight - Madison Square Garden - HBO Sports

And the main event of the evening...

Salido and Garcia, I'm really expecting something here, something massive. These two have supposedly been training with unbelievable intensity for this fight, I'm so excited I just may poo.

Garcia the unbeaten contender, has looked in control in every single one of his fights thus far, never really looked as though he has had to go into his next gear, There's always the questions with these type of fighters that haven't really had to answer them in the fights leading up to a major fight still lingering and it makes a lot of people doubt. Personally I'm not one of them, the manner he has controlled his opponents thus far has been spectacular. He is perhaps no real thrills when he's in control however I can imagine when someone else is pushing the pace against him is when we will see just how good this kid is.

Salido, the gatekeeper turned divisional champion, has only seemingly gotten better and better through age. Only beaten by the very best in guys like Gamboa, but always gives a good account of himself. However, after beating JuanMa I think he felt as though this was the start of something genuinely big for him, that he could stay ontop, that he had the experience and knowhow now to beat these top guys as well as being in the shape capable to still do it. He must feel as though he is on a real roll now and confidence must be sky high but he knows he has to defeat a young and very hungry challenger is Garcia.

I see Salido coming forward and trying to force the pace as he did with JuanMa, however I think he'll find a few things with Garcia that he didn't with JuanMa, that Garcia although younger is more mature and has a much better defence, and will find it harder to close the gap due to Garcia's youthful movement and solid jab. Garcia's KO ratio flatters him slightly, however he is clearly a very solid puncher and Salido was down twice against Haya and although JuanMa is a big puncher he knocked Salido down on seemingly rubber legs, so Salido has vulnerabilities, whilst being incredibly tough. Reminds me of a better skilled Maidana, keeps coming unbelievable toughness and courage and can take a whack and keep on coming at you, but isn't the most difficult to hurt.

For me Garcia is mature way beyond his years, you can see that in his fighting style and in the way he speaks about the game, intelligent and very honest. From a young age he was in the gym sparring against the top notch guys and always holding his own, I just get a feeling that Garcia is something a little bit special and has more than enough boxing ability, power speed nad strength to keep Salido away from him and has the strength up close to prove more than a match for Siri.

My Fight Prediction: I was originally thinking a late knockout for Garcia, however I'm going with a points win for Garcia with Salido giving a great account of himself as he always does.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 5 Star Fight

Didn't go into that much depth with many of the fights this time around due to starting it so late and not having enough time throughout the week to study the fighters in more detail, but what you gonna do, sue me? ( Please Don't )

Thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - 19th January - The Return! Empty Re: Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - 19th January - The Return!

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 19 Jan 2013, 11:41 pm

Great review Alex, I can't wait for the American card, it should be a great one!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - 19th January - The Return! Empty Re: Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - 19th January - The Return!

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 2:02 am

Well at least I got one response! Cheers, BF OK

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 20 Jan 2013, 2:39 am

Sorry Alex was about to reply then fell asleep mwah poof daddy. Any idea how the fights are going?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 2:44 am

The first world title fight is up next between Martinez and Burgos

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Jan 2013, 2:50 am

Gentlemen.

Ronald has landed.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 20 Jan 2013, 3:09 am

Certain that there will be some skullduggery tonight

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 3:54 am

By the way has anyone heard the Campillo result?

He got knocked out in 3, shows how overrated cloud is

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 4:29 am

Almost spot on with te Golovkin fight but round 7 instead of round 6 and Rosado took a real beating in there and had his face busted up

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 4:31 am

Golovkin looked pretty beatable in there.

Have a look at Kevalev though WHU, he has some real power.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 4:33 am

Can't wait for Salido Garcia, what you think of Martinez escaping with a draw? Had it comfortable for Burgos, almost landed double the punches. 117 - 111 personally.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 4:36 am

Would love to see more of Rosado at 154, thought he was terrific tonight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 4:41 am

Not sure he looked that beatable especially given that he was ill and almost cancelled the fight 2 days ago. He didn't score a knockdown but barely lost a minute of a round and while he wasn't at his best offensively he looked sharp defensively and made good use of his jab against a taller, rangy fighter who has really improved over the last year or so and was a huge lightmiddleweight

I will try to get a look at the fella as I rate Campillo highly so he must hae real power

I think martinez was lucky to get a draw although I had it a little closer 115-113 to burgos

Can't wait for this now, really torn about who wins this but I went for Salido KO initially so I'm going to stick with it

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 4:49 am

Wow first round knockdown for Garcia, Salido got caught square but didn't seem too hurt although Garcia's power is very real

And another, heavier left hook by Garica

10-7 Garcia

Bad first round for Salido

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:32 am

Ronald's elongated head said "breast". It was wonderful.

Golovkin painted his white gloves red with his opponent's blood. Won every second of the fight, didn't get hit clean much at all.
Martinez, especially considering that his last fight couda gone either way, can consider himself very lucky.

Has Steve Lillis ever boxed? He seems like one of those guys who presumes a fighter should never think about quitting no matter how much pain they're in despite never having tried it himself.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:45 am

I thought Rosado disd really well, Golovkin really needs to work on defence, he literally never moves his head. He has everything but, I think a better defensive prowess would make him unbeatable, as it stands I would make Martinez a slight favourite but the power could be the deciding factor at any moment.

Garcia was simply incredible, did exactly what I thought he would and better. The jab was brilliant stopped Salido's march and the power is very real. I thought his KO ratio flattered him, it doesn't. Felt as though he would do one of two things when faced with pressure fighters, flop, or bring out the best in him, it was the latter. He is so much beyond his years, it was his first Championship fight but he made it seem like a routine tenth, fantastic boxer, just a shame about the ending.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:09 am

Kovalev really surprised me tonight. I had been really impressed with what I'd saw of Campillo in the past. It's a good win and announces a new face on the fringes of the LHW scene. Another guy for Cleverly to avoid!

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:14 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:I thought Rosado disd really well, Golovkin really needs to work on defence, he literally never moves his head. He has everything but, I think a better defensive prowess would make him unbeatable, as it stands I would make Martinez a slight favourite but the power could be the deciding factor at any moment. .

Golovkin just seemed to realise that he couldn't be hurt by his opponent. If the guy was ever to set himself to throw with some force then GGG, because of his ridiculous power, would make sure he would come out second best. You're right about him being hittable, but maybe he'd fight a bit more defensively against a better opponent? As of right now I've only ever seen him stalking opponents that have become terrified of his heavy punches.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

That's why he spars Cruisers and Heavies according to Golovkins trainer, he doesn't feel the power of middleweights so doesn't focus so much on defence as he knows he will come out on top

Golovkins power is legit and as Boxthis said if Rosado ever tried to really make an impression on Golovkin or at least get into a position to win a round then he would have had to stay infront of Golovkin a little more and be open to really powerful shots

Garica really impressed me although saying that I think Salido was very much getting into the fight (obviously not close to winning given the knockdowns) and looked to be getting to Garcia alot more despite looking out on his feet and I felt that Garcia was looking for a way out so he didn't have to go 12 under the pressure Salido was putting him under

Trying not to take too much away from Garcia but Salido did look like an old man and like the wars caught up on him. At the weigh in I thought that Salido looked more gaunt than usual and was seemingly 144lbs+ last night which is alot of weigh to cut and his legs never looked under him hence the 4 knockdowns without any of the punche shaving any real power behind them (the 2nd was a little heavier but Salido wasn't hurt)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:24 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Kovalev really surprised me tonight. I had been really impressed with what I'd saw of Campillo in the past. It's a good win and announces a new face on the fringes of the LHW scene. Another guy for Cleverly to avoid!

Yeah, I thought he looked really good, just watched the fight, never gave Campillo a second to breath, was all over him from the word go. has seriously heavy hands. I've just remembered that he was the guy that killed a boxer in the ring in Russia.

I did wonder what would happen if he could to really get through on Campillo as Cloud could get to him early on. Kovalev simply finished the job, thoughts he was very good and has really announced himself on the LHW division.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:38 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:I thought Rosado disd really well, Golovkin really needs to work on defence, he literally never moves his head. He has everything but, I think a better defensive prowess would make him unbeatable, as it stands I would make Martinez a slight favourite but the power could be the deciding factor at any moment. .

Golovkin just seemed to realise that he couldn't be hurt by his opponent. If the guy was ever to set himself to throw with some force then GGG, because of his ridiculous power, would make sure he would come out second best. You're right about him being hittable, but maybe he'd fight a bit more defensively against a better opponent? As of right now I've only ever seen him stalking opponents that have become terrified of his heavy punches.

You could well be correct, and when he really does step up to a real top level fighter he may end up showing more than he actually has previously defensively. However, so far throughout his career the only time his head ever show some sign of movement is when he takes a punch.

The thing I always find with these punchers is they always come up against someone who can catch them and hurt them or outbox them, but they look invincible against opposition that don't have the ability to do it and due to them overwhelming there opponents it makes them appear as though no one can beat them.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:43 pm

I felt the same WHU, I thought that Salido was on the slide coming into the fight, however Garcia fought the near perfect fight, Salido appeared to be coming into the fight later on, however it felt to me as though Salido was in desperation mode, just pushing the pace as fast as he possibly could. It seemed to me as though Garcia was going to ride out the little storm that was coming his way and take over possibly stopping him late on or just getting the decision as points wise it would be near impossible for him to have lost going the distance.

Have to be honest though I thought Garcia was simply brilliant last night.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Can't wait for Salido Garcia, what you think of Martinez escaping with a draw? Had it comfortable for Burgos, almost landed double the punches. 117 - 111 personally.

Finally someone else who has a scorecard similar to mine, I thought I was going mad, Burgos was the clear winner for me. I think the commentators got a bit to excited with 30 second flurries that Martinez had, when he had been beaten to the punch in the previous 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Would be a great rematch though, Rocky is never in a boring fight!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:58 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I felt the same WHU, I thought that Salido was on the slide coming into the fight, however Garcia fought the near perfect fight, Salido appeared to be coming into the fight later on, however it felt to me as though Salido was in desperation mode, just pushing the pace as fast as he possibly could. It seemed to me as though Garcia was going to ride out the little storm that was coming his way and take over possibly stopping him late on or just getting the decision as points wise it would be near impossible for him to have lost going the distance.

Have to be honest though I thought Garcia was simply brilliant last night.

Also every time that Salido came on strong, Garcia was pushing him back and shaking him to his boots.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Can't wait for Salido Garcia, what you think of Martinez escaping with a draw? Had it comfortable for Burgos, almost landed double the punches. 117 - 111 personally.

Finally someone else who has a scorecard similar to mine, I thought I was going mad, Burgos was the clear winner for me. I think the commentators got a bit to excited with 30 second flurries that Martinez had, when he had been beaten to the punch in the previous 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Agree, I watched it on HBO, Lederman had it 117 - 111 also and Ward, Papa and Kellerman felt that Burgos was jobbed. I don't understand how one judge an have it 117-111 and other have it 4 points the other way. Burgos hit him to the body and double the connects on compubox, just felt he clearly won and feel a bit sorry for him because it looked like not many of Martinez's attacks were landing cleanly.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:51 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

Agree, I watched it on HBO, Lederman had it 117 - 111 also and Ward, Papa and Kellerman felt that Burgos was jobbed. I don't understand how one judge an have it 117-111 and other have it 4 points the other way. Burgos hit him to the body and double the connects on compubox, just felt he clearly won and feel a bit sorry for him because it looked like not many of Martinez's attacks were landing cleanly.

Yep he was a bit wide, I had it the same as you, I thought Martinez had a few of the middle rounds, but the rest were for Burgos. There should definitely be a rematch.

I would have loved to hear Ward commentating, I can imagine he is very good.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

Genuinely enjoyed him thought he was clear, concise with what he was saying and offered really good technical advice.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down