The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeGales Power

+8
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Soldier_Of_Fortune
sittingringside
Liam_Main
AlexHuckerby
coxy0001
azania
Seanusarrilius
12 posters

Go down

DeGales Power Empty DeGales Power

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 28 Apr 2011, 3:38 pm

Ok so Degale v Groves promises to be a explosive affair, nice clash of styles, great pre fight hype

But what im intrigued to know is

how much power does Degale carry?

He is slick we know, fast too. But of all his stoppages thus far most are standing stops, some premature (as with all prospectS)

I recall Smith saying after there fight that Degale didnt carry much, may just be sour grapes but lets be honest theres not one KO on his record all TKO.

Clearly what power he has will develop but i hope he doesnt become happy slappy. Be interesting to see how much power he has against groves.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

DeGales Power Empty Re: DeGales Power

Post by azania Thu 28 Apr 2011, 3:43 pm

I often find that southpaws dont carry too much KO power. I dont know if its because they dont seem to punch properly or taught how to punch with the full weight behind them. Just an observation. Of course there are great left hookers, but generally I find that SP punch awkwardly.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 28 Apr 2011, 3:46 pm

Compared to how slappy he was when he first turned pro he does appear to at least be trying to sit down on his punches.

Don't think he'll ever be like Marquez (Rafa) or someone like that who seems to put everything into every punch.

And it's not impossible he won't knock out Groves, the latter does carry one hand low (can't remember which, is it left?) and his defence ain't exactly Whitaker esque.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 28 Apr 2011, 4:14 pm

Degale is more of a timer than anything, don't think he possess' incredible power or anything however I have seen him hit hard enough to stun people and thats generally enough to TKO most of them.
He will catch the big shots when he can but his approach I believe especially against the more dangerous fighters (Groves included) that he will be far more defensive and a much more negative fighter and will move in and out of range and catch the counter punches.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 28 Apr 2011, 4:24 pm

Degale has power as he showed against Sam Horton but is more likely to put punches together and get a stoppage rather than a one punch knockout.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu 28 Apr 2011, 4:36 pm

Degale's got the power to make his opponent respect him, which I think is the most important thing for someone with his style. He doesn't appear to pack enough to really level a good fighter, but no-one wants to be walking into too much leather from him.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 28 Apr 2011, 4:53 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:Degale has power as he showed against Sam Horton but is more likely to put punches together and get a stoppage rather than a one punch knockout.

Sam Horton! Glass Joe on Punch-Out has a better jaw then him.
Hardly a gauage for DeGale's power

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 28 Apr 2011, 4:54 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Liam_Main4 wrote:Degale has power as he showed against Sam Horton but is more likely to put punches together and get a stoppage rather than a one punch knockout.

Sam Horton! Glass Joe on Punch-Out has a better jaw then him.
Hardly a gauage for DeGale's power

Any person would go down after them shots.He also showed alot of his power against Carl Dilks.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 28 Apr 2011, 5:02 pm

DeGale has only faced one b-class domestic opponant sice becoming Pro.

Groves would have blasted ALL DeGales opponants away in a Royal Rumble type fight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Thu 28 Apr 2011, 6:32 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:DeGale has only faced one b-class domestic opponant sice becoming Pro.

Groves would have blasted ALL DeGales opponants away in a Royal Rumble type fight

I don't think that Groves would have blasted them away, because look at his fight with anderson who is probably the same standard as DeGales opponents so far. Also whats a royal rumble type fight?
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 28 Apr 2011, 7:20 pm

i agree its most important that he has the power to make opponents respect him which i think he prob does. Timing very important too. Be interesting to see how Groves reacts when he gets tagged. If he circles on the backfoot against Degald he is asking for trouble really

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 29 Apr 2011, 1:01 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:DeGale has only faced one b-class domestic opponant sice becoming Pro.

Smith is a higher class of opponent than Anderson who Groves struggled with. Groves showed great heart and determination to win the fight and will be benefit from the experience but showed up his frailties. He is to easy to hit and his head is quite static at times. If he hasn't improved these things drastically by the time he fights DeGold he has very little chance of winning.
Just so you know a royal rumble is a 30 man over the top rope match last man left wins. How do you suggest boxing incorporates this?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by topdoorhandle Fri 29 Apr 2011, 1:18 pm

Just so you know a royal rumble is a 30 man over the top rope match last man left wins. How do you suggest boxing incorporates this?

I think the best way would be to remove the ropes and surround a bigger ring with a moat. The come forward fighters would do well but could get attatcked from behind.... would be interesting and faster than prizefighter.

I think as someone said above degale is about timing and counters... he carries a fair bang for his amount of fights and this will only improve as he begins to plant his feet more. I dont see him KOing groves..... Ref stoppage rnd 6 in favour of degale (though i hope not)

topdoorhandle

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 29 Apr 2011, 2:10 pm

If we're incorporating water would it notbe better with female fighters. If not then how about aligators in the moat? I would love to see an aligator eat Tyson Fury but it would take a while.

DeGale doesn't plant his feet with his punches yet but that will come. He has enough power to make opponents respect him. Groves is wild at time and his defence is poor along with his lac of head movement. DeGale should win this quite comfortably imo. Ref stoppage inside 6 rounds. (hope I'm right I can't stand Groves, I'm a big DeGale fan I love his attitude).
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Apr 2011, 3:40 pm

i think degale's lack of power will limit him to euro level at most- he reminds me of calzaghe in the sense that he has limited power but amazing skill and reflexs and good ring savvy- differnce been calzaghe had much more agression and a much much higher work rate which was enough for him- maybe degale will improve but he seems to arrogant and cocky to accept that.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 29 Apr 2011, 4:34 pm

I wouldn't be fooled by the way he talks on camera it's a front some fighters do it some don't. The guy is an olympic gold medalist so must have at sometime had to admit their is something he isn't great at and work on it to improve it.
His lack of power isn't that big a problem the guy has a decent punch on him enough to gain the respect of any super middle weight around. His style is more based around the things he does well. He's slick and quite an accurate puncher. Pretty good defencively. I do agree about his work rate he seems to look quite lazy at times but think that may be down to the fact he knows he's up against fighters below his level. He never looked lazy at any point in the Smith fight and don't expect to see it against Groves.
Hard to judge these things but I've always thought he looked a world champion since I seen him in the olympics.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down