The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+36
BlueCoverman
I'm never wrong
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Nay
JPX
1GrumpyGolfer
beninho
raycastleunited
shudofhita4iron
Roller_Coaster
Skydriver
princedracula
Shotrock
dynamark
golfermartin
lorus59
SmithersJones
pedro
Seve_The_Great
gaelgowfer
barragan
incontinentia
super_realist
Doon the Water
puligny
GunsGerms
kwinigolfer
Hibbz
hend085
JAS
McLaren
navyblueshorts
mystiroakey
Diggers
oldshanker
40 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by oldshanker Sun 03 Feb 2013, 8:56 am

First topic message reminder :

I agree Digs - what I was commenting on was not their lack of invention, but their lack of cohesion. They did not get the basics right, the least a back has to do is commit his opposite number, which becomes more important against the 'drift' defence, and then follow up and support. This was not happening yesterday, apart from Chris ashton on occasions.

I have not seen Goode play in his club matches, but on a number of occasions, he caught the ball deep, began to run, hesitated and then was caught without any support. I can't remember ever seeing Ben Foden caught like that. It is yet another sign of a lack of cohesion in the backs.

Of course, this probably is all due to the fact they are a relatively new squad and should come together the more they play together. But on the face of it, I think yesterday was a fair showing against a team that in my opinion is still there to be taken and will possibly only get one win in this series.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:13 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Is there anything dafter than the people walking round with increasingly large headphones on while listening to their iPod/iPhone/whatever? Muppets!

Yes, sound quality and more importantly they leak less sound to other people.Nothing worse than some tool on a train in cheap headphones inflicting his drum and base on the whole carriage.
You see more high quality headphones quite simple because more and more people are watching and listening to high quality audio an video on portable devices.
Yes...I do own a pair but I commute over 3 hours a day and they are money well spent.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:18 pm

All the bike couriers use single gear bikes which proves to me they are mainly for dicks.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:25 pm

All cyclists are closeted homosexuals.
Fact
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:29 pm

Nah cycling is brilliant. Lycra however is silly.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Is there anything dafter than the people walking round with increasingly large headphones on while listening to their iPod/iPhone/whatever? Muppets!

Yes, sound quality and more importantly they leak less sound to other people.Nothing worse than some tool on a train in cheap headphones inflicting his drum and base on the whole carriage.
You see more high quality headphones quite simple because more and more people are watching and listening to high quality audio an video on portable devices.
Yes...I do own a pair but I commute over 3 hours a day and they are money well spent.
All true but it still looks utterly ridiculous! If you're sat on a train for hours it doesn't seem so bad but walking along wearing them looks truly naff.
You're right of course about the sound leakage from the idiot spoiling everyone else's journey on whatever public transport it happens to be.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:37 pm

True Navy, I have no doubt I look a tad silly in them but as a tired middle aged man I have little pride left in that respect anyway.
Plus they have a really cool bright blue cable Smile

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:40 pm

I only wear my big ones indoors or on planes..Bose and beats

I wear my sure in ear for trains and stuff.. evern more expensive!!

Its all about the noise cancelling. You dont hear them and they dont hear you!! It means you can listen at lower volumes as well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

Now, this is something that really needs to come off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23408073
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 08 Aug 2013, 5:09 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Now, this is something that really needs to come off:

Nah, fracking is going to save the planet. picard 
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 6:15 pm

Fusion., Yes.

I like

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 08 Aug 2013, 6:53 pm

Nothing wrong with fracking.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 08 Aug 2013, 7:15 pm

I live in West Sussex but not that close to Balcombe but Id rather they did it elsewhere if at all, definite Nimby me.
To be fair from what I've read Fracking really doesn't seem worth the aggravation and Cuadrilla is a stupid name for a company.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 08 Aug 2013, 7:26 pm

I've nothing against it. I've got Gas heating, gas hob and hot/water/shower powered by a gas combi boiler so no amount of wind turbines is going to make those work.

Actually working on a North Sea gas field now which is likely to provide up to 6-7% of UK demands when production starts in a few years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 08 Aug 2013, 7:52 pm

Yeah well getting gas from the north sea isn't really the problem, everyone's fine with that. It's ugly little sites in the British countryside people aren't keen on. Especially with no road infrastructure to any of them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 08 Aug 2013, 8:04 pm

You'll barely notice them Diggers. You only have to look at Wytch Farm in Dorset, the biggest onshore oil field in Europe to see that. You'd never notice it.

Compared to that, Fracking operations will be absolutely tiny.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 08 Aug 2013, 9:15 pm

ok as long as they don't affect any golf courses.
Bit of serious discussion locally every golf club seemingly in financial stress and trying to find ways out of it.Rumour we are down to around 350 members

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 08 Aug 2013, 10:02 pm

I don't really buy the you'll barely notice them line. They are ugly as sin and there's a lot of them and its all rural.
Im no tree hugger but Im not to be convinced of there worth yet. Off shore fine , but lets debate about the fracking. There is a lot of opposition and it needs to be given a hearing.

Last edited by Diggers on Fri 09 Aug 2013, 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 09 Aug 2013, 3:19 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Now, this is something that really needs to come off:

Navy you might like this show

http://blip.tv/julio-belinchon-hernandez/nuclear-fusion-energy-can-we-make-a-star-on-earth-4955372

It is a horizon episode brian cox did in 2009. Not sure if the above link works but it is worth finding the show somewhere.

Unless of course you are a physicist, then I guess it is a little below you.

Also is it just me, or is a cost of just a little more than an olympics peanuts if the science can provide us clean and secure energy?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 7:29 am

I love the sound of being able to build our own star/sun!!

However it does take up resources- Its just the output is greater than the input. So it isn't really completely secure for ever. Efficient in comparison to the way we use gas at the moment but not completely secure or clean.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 7:58 am

Diggers wrote:I don't really buy the you'll barely notice them line. They are ugly as sin and there's a lot of them and its all rural.
Im no tree higher but Im not to be convinced of there worth yet. Off shore fine , but lets debate about the fracking. There is a lot of opposition and it needs to be given a hearing.
I refer you again to Wytch Farm. You wouldn't even know it's there.
Fracking would be even less invasive. Wells very short time to drill so the Derrick (drilling rig) wouldn't be there for long (even then it could be side tracked from miles away) and there would only be a collection of well heads tied back to one extraction point.
In most cases it wouldn't be any more invasive over the long term than methane release valves you see in converted landfill sites, don't see the yoghurt knitters up in arms about that.

I understand the whole nimby thing, but I think there is a general ignorance of just how intrusive it is and how damaging it is.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 8:08 am

My whole Fracking knowledge is based on the Film with Mat Damon(promised land)

It was actually ok. However If we believe in it(Its a film- it probably has elements of truths and untruths) - Fracking is bad news!!

Have you seen the film SR dude?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 8:17 am

A film with a clear agenda, based on American geology and American drilling and American fracking methods.
It's like comparing Rugby with Football. Lots of similar elements, completely different game.

Hundreds of thousands of wells have been drilled on shore for gas and oil all over the world, with zero problems, it's only because now it's "shale gas" that they see it as something different. It's only because it might be close to them, the hypocrisy of people against fossil fuel is completely ironic given everything in their lives is 100% dependent on it.

If you want to pay continually increasing amounts of money for Russian and Norwegian gas, fine, if you want to convert your entire heating system, cooker and hot water to electric at your own cost, and if you want to have the 75000 wind turbines required to supply the UK (10 times more what we already have) then that's dandy, but I'd rather have a few select sites, sympathetically developed to make use of the vast reserves of shale gas easily available to us.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 8:25 am

OK thats fine- I understand the way Hollywood can make many films based on an Agenda. You are part of the energy game- You also could have an agenda!

If we can extract this gas safely and we can then use it with the fusion tech to make it 10 times more effective then ok..

But mistakes do happen. We don't wont our beautiful south destroyed dude! thats what the North is for Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 8:32 am

Oakey,

Of course mistakes happen, as they do in every industry or activity. DO we ban cars because of car crashes or trains?

Oil and Gas production is ludicrously safe.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 8:33 am

That was a bit of a joke dude!(the northern thing!)

I am sure our standards are as high as possible!

Drilling for shale will also aid employment

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 09 Aug 2013, 9:24 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:I don't really buy the you'll barely notice them line. They are ugly as sin and there's a lot of them and its all rural.
Im no tree higher but Im not to be convinced of there worth yet. Off shore fine , but lets debate about the fracking. There is a lot of opposition and it needs to be given a hearing.
I refer you again to Wytch Farm. You wouldn't even know it's there.
Fracking would be even less invasive. Wells very short time to drill so the Derrick (drilling rig) wouldn't be there for long (even then it could be side tracked from miles away) and there would only be a collection of well heads tied back to one extraction point.
In most cases it wouldn't be any more invasive over the long term than methane release valves you see in converted landfill sites, don't see the yoghurt knitters up in arms about that.

I understand the whole nimby thing, but I think there is a general ignorance of just how intrusive it is and how damaging it is.
Well you would say that, you work in fossil fuels. It's just your opinion they will be barely noticed, the people who live amongst them and have to deal with the increased traffic etc don't agree and their views are equally valid.
Its important not to give away control to companies that quite frankly care only about one thing and that is profit.
I've seen existing fracking sites in other countries and they are ugly as sin. We may well need some in the UK but the more protests the are the more public awareness thee is and the more the crackers will have to toe the environmental line.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 9:45 am

Reading about it in more detail. We supposedly have 1300 trillion cubic feet of the stuff. We consume 3 trillion a year.

It seems worth it!!

however

"Water UK, which represents the UK water companies, points out that fracking requires huge amounts of water which could put a strain on local supplies.

It also says the drilling and the fracturing process could damage water pipes.

"The water industry is not taking sides. If it (fracking) goes ahead we want to ensure corners are not cut and standards compromised," said Jim Marshall, policy and business adviser at Water UK.

Environmental groups argue that investment in the industry will divert attention from the need to develop renewable sources of energy."

It could potentially damage our water and divert us from clean energy.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 9:51 am

Oakey, You can use sea water. PLenty of that around.
It takes place well below the surface, many kilometres in fact, and so water pipes won't be affected any more than anything else at or around the surface,
Renewable energy, whilst admirable, will never provide the amount of energy we need or the form in which we need it and is incredibly expensive, plus often required more resources to produce than we get from it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 09 Aug 2013, 9:59 am

super_realist wrote:Oakey, You can use sea water. PLenty of that around.
It takes place well below the surface, many kilometres in fact, and so water pipes won't be affected any more than anything else at or around the surface,
Renewable energy, whilst admirable, will never provide the amount of energy we need or the form in which we need it and is incredibly expensive, plus often required more resources to produce than we get from it.

They don't plan on using sea water in Sussex, plus its becomes a hazardous waste product, thought apparently not one detrimental to human health. Though that's what big companies always say then thirty years later people are dropping like flies...

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:00 am

"plus often required more resources to produce than we get from it"

Thats clearly the concern. But taking the easy option will surely hold us back from making these renewable energies more efficient.

TBH reading about it. Drilling for shale gas is going to happen. We are going to give more tax breaks for this industry than any other nation in the world..

It will seriously aid our economy. It will create jobs, allow affordable energy and aid out balance of payments!

But that is a short term view I suppose(even though potentially it could last us 400 years!!.. We still need to be at the forefront of clean energy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:10 am

It's not an easy option though Oakey. Exploration and Drilling is about as technically advanced as you can get in industry. THe amount of money, knowledge and expertise that goes into a project is staggering.

My concern is that although climate is undeniably changing, the general view of the public is that humans are entirely responsible for it when that is nowhere near the truth.  

Climate has always changed and always will over time, especially when we are still technically coming out of an ice age.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:14 am

Climate does of course always change, that is a given. We do not however know if we happen to be contributing to climate changes, its just as lazy to say its out of our control as it is to say we are completely responsible for it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:17 am

I agree that some people like to blame us over the actual world cycle we are in.

But does that matter- isn't that just a bit strawman.

I am not really taking the hippy line that is lets stop polluting the world. But more the one that eventually we will use up these resources and have nothing to power anything unless we work on renewable energy.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:21 am

I'm not saying it is out of our control, merely saying that we are not 100% responsible for it.
It doesn't mean we have to move 100% to renewable energy (or could), especially when things like electric cars require vast amounts of resource to build, and of course fossil fuel to charge them up.

It's estimated that 75000 wind turbines would be needed in the UK for current energy demand. At 2-3 million pounds each (not including maintenance) that's a staggering amount of money. We're talking trillions here. People just wouldn't and couldn't afford the bills of that, not to mention how everything in their house would need modified to change from gas to electric.

Like it or not, we are stuck with a significant element of fossil fuel, the onus is on us to produce leaner burning cars, boilers, power stations etc and reduce emission output. Plenty in development that way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:25 am

I've never understood why we don't breed billions of hamsters and keep them running in little wheels all the time. Environmentally friendly and cute at the same time and totally renewable as the horny little buggers breed like rabbits.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:27 am

Diggers sadly we need feed and water for them!!

You just can't get something out of nothing!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:27 am

Sounds like a good idea Diggers, although couldn't we just get unemployed people to help keep the lights on?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:36 am

Actually Super could it work ? How much would it cost to install some kind of exercise bike which hooks up to the grid.
Doleites have to do a minimum of 3 hours a day, or a set distance...maybe 20 miles......its genius really, everyone's a winner. They get less grief as they will be providing a service and a lot oft he UK's obesity problems are wiped out at the same time.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:39 am

We've solved the energy crisis Diggers. See you on Dragon's Den.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

I bet some loser says its not PC or something though.....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

"How much would it cost to install some kind of exercise bike which hooks up to the grid. "

more than making wind turbines!!!

But hey I am up for it..My firm could install and periodically test them!- we don't want to end up frying our unemployed!!

On a serious note my company has a page for V phase installations. We have only installed a few mind. (it is installed before your incomer and optimises voltages to 220v- therefore reducing wasted electricity and saving on your bill!!)

If you want to save money and save the planet let us know Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:54 am

Diggers wrote:I bet some loser says its not PC or something though.....
2.5 million uneployed with 500,000 job vacancies... D'uh
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:57 am

MontysMerkin wrote:
Diggers wrote:I bet some loser says its not PC or something though.....
2.5 million uneployed with 500,000 job vacancies... D'uh
Irony..D'uh

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:57 am

Well then, still leaves two million doesn't it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:58 am

I am sure there are plenty more vacancies that that mate!!

And why can't people just get of their asses and work a day or two rather than claiming!!

It is so easy to make a 100 quid minimum a week if you need it!

wash peoples cars, cut their grass, work part time in a pub, take a course and do something self employed..It truly is so easy.

Its not about the established businesses or the government giving you a job!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:27 am

mystiroakey wrote:I am sure there are plenty more vacancies that that mate!!

And why can't people just get of their asses and work a day or two rather than claiming!!

It is so easy to make a 100 quid minimum a week if you need it!

wash peoples cars, cut their grass, work part time in a pub, take a course and do something self employed..It truly is so easy.

Its not about the established businesses or the government giving you a job!!

True but get caught and you're in bother. I should know - I did similar cos my missus was working and so I didn't think it was right to claim and did as you suggested. However I now have a huge hole in my NI and pension contributions. Tried to explain all this to the gov but they weren't having it - crazy!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:29 am

Or if you're lucky you could get a 0 hour work contract - keeps you off the books at any rate...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

well mate you only have to pay 2 quid NI a week. Plus you can pay it late. didnt you get the letters asking?

you can also claim which only pays your NI(not benefit) if you don't earn enough but still work part time. and if you are working self employed you need to fill out your tax returns!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:34 am

mystiroakey wrote:well mate you only have to pay 2 quid NI a week. Plus you can pay it late. didnt you get the letters asking?

you can also claim which only pays your NI(not benefit) if you don't earn enough but still work part time. and if you are working self employed you need to fill out your tax returns!!
So I am led to believe
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:36 am

90% of my engineers are self employed so I do know a bit about it. Only one of them pays his NI. The rest are being idiotic!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next