The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Scotland kit

+8
RDW
Cryptoyourisan
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
Solid8
RuggerRadge2611
George Carlin
12 posters

Go down

New Scotland kit Empty New Scotland kit

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:22 am

A thread about something completely trivial (i.e. not involving sledging of other nations and fans Shocked ).

Lest we forget, Macron will start making all kit for Glasgow, Edinburgh and most importantly Scotland from 1 July 2013.

Sensibly, the Italians have decided to ask the fans what they wanted in a new kit through emailing:
newscotlandkit@sru.org.uk

I remembered to email them the other day. Here's what I said:

1. Please stick to traditional colours. The home kit should be predominantly navy. The away kit predominantly white. Please. No, seriously.

2. Detailed work and subtle design is what will go over best and indicate both an adherence to tradition (quite important to us Scots fans) and aesthetic. Kooga introduced a commemorative kit for the Ospreys this year (click here to see it). It was monochrome but carried with it the names of all 77 Welsh clubs. It was extremely elegant and cleverly thought out. This is the kind of thing I would love to see.

3. Garish monoblocking and enlarged logos tend to indicate a lack of ideas. No need for it.

4. Embroidered logos tend to look more expensive than printed and are therefore preferable although I am aware that this may not be Macron's approach.

5. Please bear in mind that the players kits are only part of an overall range. Macron's leisure wear is very well styled and we hope that this quality is brought to an entire range of clothing. Training shirts, t-shirts, polo shirts and fleeces are particularly important and most supporters will buy at least some of these.

6. Canterbury shirts are traditionally heavy and quite thick – this has suggested a build quality that is aspirational even if the styling has left a lot to be desired.

My questions for the forum:

A) What do we think about Macron? I've never picked up one of their shirts but I recall people saying that the build quality wasn't the same as a Canterbury shirt. Is this right? In terms of styling, I think that Edinburgh have one of the best looking kits around and I have high hopes for something that looks good and different. They're a new company who were clearly hungry to elbow their way into the rugby world in a big way. Have to love the ambition and it's great that we gave them a chance.

B) What rugby clothing do people actually buy? I always come home once a year and buy t-shirts for the gym and maybe a thin fleece for the winter here (when it's only, like, 24 degrees).

C) Anyone have any strong feelings about what should or shouldn't be included in the club shirts or international shirts?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Scotland kit Empty Re: New Scotland kit

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:32 am

The Edinburgh shirts have been ok, save the one with the red sash that wouldn't look out of place at the Larkhall loyalist marches.

The current Edinburgh strip IMO looks fantastic, just a shame our season has been bouf. The quality isn't really an issue, My Canterbury shirt has suffered from repeat washes with the RBS logo starting to peel. The printed nature of the Edinburgh shirts means that doesn't happen. Although I think I would prefer and ebroided thistle logo.

I would like to see the Strip with Navy blue all over, white collar, and something Celtic (pronunced with a "K") that shows out heritage and our legacy.

The nice touch on the Edinburgh shirts is inside every collar the phrase :

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh (Scots Gaelic)

No one attacks me with impunity (English)

Which is the motto of the Scots Guards.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:46 am

Not really heard of Macron before they started making kit for Edinburgh, from what I have heard their stuff is good quality so I have no real problem with them making the kit for the teams.

I would like to see a predominantly blue shirt with white collar also white shorts are a must. The away kit, well, I don't care about the colour so long as we don't take a leaf out of England's recent purple/black book, however it cannot look as garish as the current one.

I would like to see Macron offer an old style cotton rugby shirt for the fans, the modern man made fibre shirts are not as good at keeping you warm and I generally don't like them.

An English mate of mine is currently bombarding Macron with suggestions for the kit such as it should have a picture of Mel Gibson from Braveheart worked into to the design, I hope that Macron can see past this as I am sure he not the only idiot doing something like this.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm

My Canterbury shirt is the Famous Grouse one of 4/5/6 years ago ? It has survived everything just short of Fukijima type meltdown and has not faded at all as i put it away until a week on Saturday.

Radge love that SG motto but for Embra should it not read "Everyone attacks me with impunity "? Whistle

My favourite for Macron would be all navy blue - no distracting other colours or stuff. Helps at the breakdown too - works for the ABs !

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:52 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Radge love that SG motto but for Embra should it not read "Everyone attacks me with impunity "? Whistle

laughing

Apparently macron considered puting the following phrase on :

Noone attacks me with impunity, or at least if you do attack me we'll fall off tackles, give away silly penalties, or get red carded for dangerous tackles and be woefully out of position.

The only drawback is the only place this motto could have fitted on an Edinburgh shirt is around Alan Jacobsens waist line.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm

OK Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:22 pm

Just snowblind by the number of things we could write in Gaelic inside the collar:

"If you spill my pint, you're damn sure buying me a new one"

"Your burd's a heifer"

"Yer maw"

"Vote 'yes', or Alex Salmond will stick the heed in you personally"

etc...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:34 pm

I'd take the 1990 Grand Slam jersey, and replicate it!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm

so long as it does not have those damm cheapo sticky on labels!!!

Embroidered or Print is fine

Sticky on labels (that peel off fater a few washes) are a no no
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 27 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

Plain navy top with a white collar, plain white shorts and plain navy blue socks. Simples. I'm not suggesting that we bring back old-school rugby shirts but I don't see the need for anything other than the SRU logo, kit sponsor's name and principal team sponsor to be on the shirt. The kit we had from 2009-2011 was the best we'd had in a while. I'd have something closer to that but without the white bits under the arms or blue bits on the shorts.

No doubt we'll get the Edinburgh strip but in blue and white instead of black and red, such is the thought that goes into modern rugby kits.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

As long as we don't get the Edinburgh 'Liberace' effort of 2 seasons ago Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

Tempted to send them a picture of the current away top and say - PLEASE PRODUCE THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE STYLING INSTENTIONS OF THIS.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:51 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Tempted to send them a picture of the current away top and say - PLEASE PRODUCE THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE STYLING INSTENTIONS OF THIS.

Yes, it's quite an eyeful, but it seems to galvanise the team. Played 2 games in it & scored 7 tries...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:52 pm

Might send them a wee message saying under no circumstances is there to be any gold trim on the new home top.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

The only shirt I would buy is a classic one - navy blue, long sleeve, white collar, no advertising logos

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:30 pm

although I am not a Scottish fan, please for the love of god nothing like the away kit!!!
as a welsh supporter (due to no regions up north, but that's another issue!) I have two shirts (1 tight fitting from sales, 1 normal) I have a welsh hoody from a few seasons ago, also a pair of trackies from sale, a few t shirt/under armour type things, and a waterproof top.
i only tend to buy cheap t shirts for training as they often get ripped, and a lot of the things i own are from sales (i am a student!!!) but for me if it looks nice and not over the top in terms of cost then i would consider it. also have to say the WRU fashion wear is quite nice for teenagers/ younger adults!

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:50 am

So if enough of us write in and say what we would really like is the current away shirt but with Alex Salmond wearing a kilt with a painted blue face printed on it, thats what might be produced? Interesting...!

Macron could do worse than copying the current england one, ie just the traditional colour, no extra piping or anything. Just a plain dark blue shirt would be best I think (ideally without a sponsor...). I also used to like the c.99 shirt with the purple bands on the sleeves.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:59 am

Bathman - I would hope that it's not the majority who rule in terms of suggestions.

My wife would otherwise start a Facebook group to get everyone to write demanding that various nude photographs of Ewan McGregor appear on the back.

Agree that Canterbury's England shirt is the kind of thing that we want - by the time you've added all the pro shirt grip panels and all of that malarkey, the whole thing will look quite busy anyway. The sponsor's logo doesn't have to be massive and can surely be discreet - look at the simple AIG logo in a text box on the All Blacks' jersey rather then the slightly out of tone splashy Admiral logo on the Welsh one. RBS will hopefully be good sports and let us drop the annoying St Andrew's cross graphic from their name. As if anyone's going to be confused that it's them.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down