The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Ireland beat France?

+75
Standulstermen
gregortree
Taylorman
whocares
MrsP
logie28
VinceWLB
Rory_Gallagher
doctor_grey
tigertattie
sheephead
tatterd
MarcusHalberstram
valjester
bedfordwelsh
SirJohnnyEnglish
Hood83
t1000advancedprototype
nathan
The Boss
Norfolklass
Barney McGrew did it
WillyGilly
bsando
ChequeredJersey
Looseheaded
Morgannwg
wales606
Duty281
rodders
Hookisms and Hyperbole
LeinsterFan4life
Cari
Portnoy's Complaint
Glas a du
Cryptoyourisan
thebluesmancometh
dragonbreath
nobbled
Gretgael1
GLove39
aitchw
lostinwales
Triangulation
AlastairW
Cyril
100%beefy
Biltong
A World Cup and 3 Finals
ALPanorak
Jimpy
Scrumpy
The Great Aukster
Notch
Pal Joey
mystiroakey
majesticimperialman
Knowsit17
RubyGuby
profitius
UlstermaninGlasgow
SecretFly
captain carrantuohil
fa0019
GunsGerms
glamorganalun
George Carlin
Alex_Germany
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
Hound_of_Harrow
Feckless Rogue
sickofwendy
Golden
red_stag
79 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Can Ireland beat France? Empty Can Ireland beat France?

Post by red_stag Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:48 pm

With France having lost three games in a row (Italy, Wales, England), they are now on the road to face Ireland.

One side of the argument suggests that France are "due a win" while the other says that they are on the ropes and a new look Irish side can add to their misery.

Can Ireland beat this French team?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Can Ireland beat France? Empty Re: Can Ireland beat France?

Post by Golden Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Whens the last time France have lost 4 games in a row?

I dont have a good feeling for it. Never do when playing France

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:56 pm

Golden wrote:I dont have a good feeling for it. Never do when playing France

I think this is the problem. We have a mental block when it comes to France. I've seen the provinces travel to France and beat the likes of Toulouse, Clermont, Stade Francais, Castres and Perpignan on their own soil in must win games. I don't see why we fear them so much over the years.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:58 pm

As a neutral I'm hoping for an end to end humdinger with both sides desperately throwing everything they have at each other,a proper test match.I'm backing the Irish to come out on top,I reckon they will have more fight in them France are shot.
Funnily enough I think France will then go and put 50 on Scotland and then go and run.NZ close in the summer.
Strange breed le frogs

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:02 pm

It'll be a ferocious first 20 minutes from the two wounded flops of the tournament. In the end neither will be able to put a complete performance together. France will win because they love playing us and we're intimidated by them.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:It'll be a ferocious first 20 minutes from the two wounded flops of the tournament. In the end neither will be able to put a complete performance together. France will win because they love playing us and we're intimidated by them.

No worries FR - we'll lend you Sharpe OK

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:55 am

Golden wrote:Whens the last time France have lost 4 games in a row?

I dont have a good feeling for it. Never do when playing France

Late fifties probably...!

France were the better team for the first forty against England. Absolutely blew them off the park. Then they ran out of steam and made ridiculous substitutions.

Ireland could have won their last outing too. Possession massively in their favour, great clean breaks not capitalised, silly errors, introducing a poor substitute flyhalf, etc...

It will be a titanic clash.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 am

maestegmafia wrote:France were the better team for the first forty against England. Absolutely blew them off the park.

Agree 100% with the first sentence. Second sentence suggests you failed to actually watch the game - seeing as England had more possession, more territory, more passes in the opposition 22 and were losing by 1pt in that first half. France had a scrum advantage, but England had pretty much countered that by half time - and France looked the better team. To suggest they were blowing England off the park is over the top

And to the OP, of course Ireland can win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:22 am

Ireland - France is too close to call.

I'm sure France will bring their A game - and play like they did against England and not like they did against Wales.

But Ireland are a good team. They beat Wales comfortably away. They lost to a good England side and had one poor match against Scotland. One poor match doesn't make you a bad team.

Ireland can win. I'm not sure who to cheer for, but I'll enjoy it. (Perhaps I should drive over to France, find a bar showing the game, and cheer on Ireland)

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:02 am

Yes, Ireland can definitely beat France and if their performance against England is any indication, they should expect to beat them at the Aviva.

With Szarzewski out (Guirado is not the same scrummager and presumably will be spending all week swatting up on his lineout calls) and Healy back, the French scrum should not pose too many fears and the lineout should hold if Best gets rid of the yips.

It's all about the midfield. If Marshall studies Fofana and BOD muzzles Fat Basteraud, then Ireland should be able to contain them. Huget is playing well but didn't manage any clean breaks against England. The big red flag is that Parra is playing very well and was instrumental in Clermont's booting of Stade.

I would like to see Ireland come up with a strategy other than 'let's give the ball to Sean O'Brien', however.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:21 am

This should be an interesting game as both teams play well for the first half then fade in the last quarter of the game. In the case of France is dull substitutions and fitness, Ireland may be fitness and age of some players. I suspect France will target the Irish scrum.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 am

I just think we have too many injuries:

Stephen Ferris
Jonny Sexton (unlikely to be back)
Paul O'Connell
Tommy Bowe
Gordan D'arcy
Craig Gilroy (may play)
Simon Zebo
Richardt Strauss
Chris Henry
Mike McCarthy (probably be back)

France just seem to love playing Ireland. Huget, Fall and Clerc are all a threat but Fofana is like a slippery eel when you try to tackle him as Ashton and Lawes recently found out. Could be a tough day at the office.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 am

glamorganalun wrote:This should be an interesting game as both teams play well for the first half then fade in the last quarter of the game. In the case of France is dull substitutions and fitness, Ireland may be fitness and age of some players. I suspect France will target the Irish scrum.

Ireland will have a very young team though bar O'Driscoll who is 34. Nearly everyone else is in their 20s. If they are not fit then they shouldnt be picked.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:36 am

GunsGerms wrote:
France just seem to love playing Ireland. Huget, Fall and Clerc are all a threat but Fofana is like a slippery eel when you try to tackle him as Ashton and Lawes recently found out. Could be a tough day at the office.

I think Fall has been dropped. However as he has been replaced by Medard that probably strengthens France.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 am

In terms of form... I'd probably back France.

France looked decent against England and were the better side for 60mins. Then they pressed the self-destruct button all French coaches tend to have at their disposal.
Their centre combination looks pretty sharp and I think BOD will have to be at his very best to take care of Basteraud without doing any harm to himself injury wise.

I don't think it will be a great game though.... could be a fight to the death as both teams will be pretty desperate not to lose... often means high error counts, lots of penalties, kicking with the odd try sealing the game.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:00 am

fa0019 wrote:In terms of form... I'd probably back France.

France looked decent against England and were the better side for 60mins. Then they pressed the self-destruct button all French coaches tend to have at their disposal.
Their centre combination looks pretty sharp and I think BOD will have to be at his very best to take care of Basteraud without doing any harm to himself injury wise.

I don't think it will be a great game though.... could be a fight to the death as both teams will be pretty desperate not to lose... often means high error counts, lots of penalties, kicking with the odd try sealing the game.

Form is probably the only thing Ireland have over France at the moment. Odd choice of words. Ireland beat Wales away France lost to them at home. Both lost to England, France by a bigger margin yet France have lost to the worst team in the 6 nations. Surely Ireland's form is slightly better having lost less games?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:02 am

LondonTiger wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

I think Fall has been dropped. However as he has been replaced by Medard that probably strengthens France.

Yeah Medard is good albeit could probably afford to cut back on creme brulee.

Hopefully Michelak will start as that should give Ireland a 7 point headstart.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 am

GunsGerms

In terms of the last 2 matches I think France have looked the better outfit IMO. Neither have been spectacular.

France in the last game gave the match away due to crazy tactics at the end whereas I think IRE in their last 2 matches have been a bit headless.

France upfront will really test IRE though. Their lineout and scrum was good but at the breakdown I think IRE will have the upper hand.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 am

fa0019 wrote:GunsGerms

In terms of the last 2 matches I think France have looked the better outfit IMO. Neither have been spectacular.

France in the last game gave the match away due to crazy tactics at the end whereas I think IRE in their last 2 matches have been a bit headless.

France upfront will really test IRE though. Their lineout and scrum was good but at the breakdown I think IRE will have the upper hand.

Well I think France will win so cant argue much. We drew with them in France last year but I just feel we have too many injuries and too many key players missing to improve on that this time round in Dublin.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 am

France have lost five on the spin in the 6n if you count Wales in Cardiff and England in Paris last year. Add in the draw with Ireland, and you actually have to go back seven matches to Murrayfield in February 2012 for the last time that the French tasted victory in the competition.

There's a bit of paralysis among the French brains trust and, injuries or no injuries, I fancy Ireland to do a number on them. The caveat, of course, is that Ireland must take their chances, but they will get them and if they force the French to play catch-up rugby, they could win this quite handsomely.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:16 am

Ireland and France?

Ireland...and...France?

And you're all making predictions?

It's with the Gods, this one. I honestly don't even know how to make an educated guess with these two.
It could be the highest skilled sword fight in the history of the Six Nations or it could be a schoolboy flop around down at my old schoolgrounds.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:23 am

SecretFly wrote:Ireland and France?

Ireland...and...France?

And you're all making predictions?

It's with the Gods, this one. I honestly don't even know how to make an educated guess with these two.
It could be the highest skilled sword fight in the history of the Six Nations or it could be a schoolboy flop around down at my old schoolgrounds.

Amen Fly, this will be the most unpredictable of matches. And I can't even watch it!!! Why did I book my train for silly times like during the Ireland France game...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:38 am

The script is already written. Ireland will start like a runaway train, play the rugby of their lives, bamboozle the French and lead by 30pts at half time. Then the second half comes along and they stop playing. After 50 min both captains agree to call off the match and award France the win because its one of the iron rules of International rugby that Ireland must not beat France.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 am

One thing's for sure.... it'll probably be the first mid way no-hope game in the history of the 6N to get ..........watched! Wink

That was the ploy all along. 6N organisers wanted more interest shown in the midway no hope games...so Ireland and France elected to let themselves slide into the mud for the good of all.

England and France have committed to doing the needful next season .... Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 am

Hearing rumours of Madigan at 10, with Jackson on the bench.... Erm
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 am

profitius wrote:The script is already written. Ireland will start like a runaway train, play the rugby of their lives, bamboozle the French and lead by 30pts at half time. Then the second half comes along and they stop playing. After 50 min both captains agree to call off the match and award France the win because its one of the iron rules of International rugby that Ireland must not beat France.

Sounds about right.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 am

I can't see Ireland winning this, as has been already stated if France pick their team and play as they can then it could be a very difficult day for Ireland. That's just how I see it no offence thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 pm

If Ireland win France WILL be officially condemned to a bottom two finish so I'd love to see it happen. Saying that, I have no doubt the French will be fully aware of this themselves. Maybe that backlash we've been predicting since week one will finally materialise this time.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 pm

I dont think i can remember a time when France lost this many games during a 5/6 nations tournament.

Yes Ireland can win, but my feeling is we will see a different France team than the one that played England. France will not want to lose this game at any cost....If Ireland are not 100% on their game, then i do believe that France will win and win big.

Last edited by majesticimperialman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:59 pm

red_stag wrote:With France having lost three games in a row (Italy, Wales, England), they are now on the road to face Ireland.

One side of the argument suggests that France are "due a win" while the other says that they are on the ropes and a new look Irish side can add to their misery.

Can Ireland beat this French team?

Yes of course- but you have gotto think that after 3 games lost its got to change sooner than later!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:If Ireland are 100% on their game, then i do believe that France will win and win big.

So if we play at less than 100% we have a fighting chance? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 pm

"Absolutely blew them off the park"

yeah right.

first 20 they were on top next 20 very even- last 40 england blew them of the park

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:04 pm

SecretFly wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:If Ireland are 100% on their game, then i do believe that France will win and win big.

So if we play at less than 100% we have a fighting chance? Wink

I have since edited my post.

Thanks for porting it out to me. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 pm

well france wales and ireland look very similar at the moment..all close but mashed in the head...

I would go for a draw in the france Irelnad game but that was the last years result!.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Well................ let's put it this way then................... is Saturday Resurrection Day for one of those sides?

It doesn't necessarily have to be France actually, as that long-in-the-toothedness that has haunted Irish sides for quite a number of years now is drifting down French way for a change ...which can wilt at any given moment as the French have been proving this season.

So when we say resurgence - most commentators mean France, because it's natural to believe they are stronger in depth than Ireland. But Ireland can't languish in the sump forever either and they're beginning to look like they have fresher players coming in finally. All of a sudden Ireland have the ...................... 'green'................ players when they've always been acused of being the old men.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am

I don't think Ireland have played badly at all, they have missed out on a bit of luck here or there, that is all.

France, as i said earlier, were magnificent then fell apart. At least they were magnificent at one point which shows that they have the ability. Also showed a few chinks in England's armour for their future opponents.

Ireland France will be a monumental struggle for both teams to get a win, I imagine it will be a great deal like the france vs ales game in paris, a tug of war and not a thing of beauty, though both teams, with the right players can open any defence and take the opportunities they make.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote: I imagine it will be a great deal like the france vs ales game in paris, a tug of war and not a thing of beauty...

Aye maes, I tend to agree... but at least ales got the pints in the end. (hiccup)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm

If we can't beat this French team we might as well give up ever beating France. 3 defeats on the trot and a manager who doesn't have a clue how to remedy it...

Unfortunately our coaching staff have even less a clue.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:18 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Hearing rumours of Madigan at 10, with Jackson on the bench.... Erm

Should this be true it shows why Ireland won't win on Saturday. If Jackson is injured he shouldn't be in the squad, if he isn't he should start - the bench shows that Kidney has no confidence in him and that heaps pressure onto both Madigan and Jackson. All the talk about ROG still being in the plans would be proven to be what everyone suspects - BS.

There is no point in thinking PSA has lost it as a coach and this would in some way favour Ireland - DK is no better. Ireland have too many injuries and too many players who aren't injured but not contributing. They have no game plan and a coach who is on his last legs, so together with France's record Ireland have to be big underdogs.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:47 am

France recall Frederic Michalak at fly-half to face Ireland.

Can Ireland beat France?
They can now.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 am

France will win this because they have no choice. Lose and they'll be exiled to Elba or something...

Ireland have too many injuries, and Kidney is starting to drop Howleyesque selection clangers.

France showed against England that they're clicking. Cut out the daft substitutions and they'll be more than a match for Ireland over the 80 minutes.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ALPanorak Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:13 am

I give up with PSA. I thought this guy, with his playing career & his coaching pedigree rejuvenating Sale and Toulon, would be the perfect person to reassert France as a consistent threat at the top of international rugby. How can he continue to make such horrendous selection choices and substitutions?! Michalak again?! Are you kidding me. Even if they somehow win, you cannot build the backline for the future around a 30/31 year old maverick. I consider myself a neutral who just wants to see good rugby but PSA is squandering yet another generation of talented French players with these asinine choices...

ALPanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:17 am

Of course they can but I sense they won't. The new LR has as much atmosphere as Uranus, so no help there and France have remembered to play rugby again and gave a very good England side same tough moments. Add to that the injuries and I predict a tough day at the office.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 am

They should have stayed at Croke Park the atmos there always seemed to be buzzing on the TV.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:35 am

Can Ireland beat France - Yes.

Will they - I think so.

Why - coz they want to and with France struggling it is possible.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:38 am

VictorU3 wrote:They should have stayed at Croke Park the atmos there always seemed to be buzzing on the TV.

Short sighted fans didn't like the place...as the game took place about a mile away from the crowd on all four sides! Smile

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:42 am

This is a MUST win for both sides, but Michalak's selection is a parody....Ireland will attack his channel all day.

I think Ireland's home advantage shoud tell but France must have one performance up their sleeve.

Irish defeat will signal the end for Kidney next weekend.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 am

SecretFly wrote:
VictorU3 wrote:They should have stayed at Croke Park the atmos there always seemed to be buzzing on the TV.

Short sighted fans didn't like the place...as the game took place about a mile away from the crowd on all four sides! Smile

You should have picked bigger players then. Smile

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 am

It's a fairly new construction though, and I think just needs to be lived in awhile. Bit like a new house I suppose.
Ireland are unpredictable at the moment. If we turn it on we can beat most. We should have beat England (even though we didn't play well), and, even more so, we should have beat Scotland. Stupid basic errors costing us each game.
I can't call this game at all. If Ireland get the basics right, and play with intensity then I believe they will win. That's a big 'if' for this Ireland side...

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:44 am

Couldn't they just have provided opera glasses with the match programme at Croke?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next