The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Ireland beat France?

+75
Standulstermen
gregortree
Taylorman
whocares
MrsP
logie28
VinceWLB
Rory_Gallagher
doctor_grey
tigertattie
sheephead
tatterd
MarcusHalberstram
valjester
bedfordwelsh
SirJohnnyEnglish
Hood83
t1000advancedprototype
nathan
The Boss
Norfolklass
Barney McGrew did it
WillyGilly
bsando
ChequeredJersey
Looseheaded
Morgannwg
wales606
Duty281
rodders
Hookisms and Hyperbole
LeinsterFan4life
Cari
Portnoy's Complaint
Glas a du
Cryptoyourisan
thebluesmancometh
dragonbreath
nobbled
Gretgael1
GLove39
aitchw
lostinwales
Triangulation
AlastairW
Cyril
100%beefy
Biltong
A World Cup and 3 Finals
ALPanorak
Jimpy
Scrumpy
The Great Aukster
Notch
Pal Joey
mystiroakey
majesticimperialman
Knowsit17
RubyGuby
profitius
UlstermaninGlasgow
SecretFly
captain carrantuohil
fa0019
GunsGerms
glamorganalun
George Carlin
Alex_Germany
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
Hound_of_Harrow
Feckless Rogue
sickofwendy
Golden
red_stag
79 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Can Ireland beat France? - Page 2 Empty Can Ireland beat France?

Post by red_stag Mon 4 Mar - 22:48

First topic message reminder :

With France having lost three games in a row (Italy, Wales, England), they are now on the road to face Ireland.

One side of the argument suggests that France are "due a win" while the other says that they are on the ropes and a new look Irish side can add to their misery.

Can Ireland beat this French team?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Can Ireland beat France? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Ireland beat France?

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu 7 Mar - 11:47

Munchkin wrote:
VictorU3 wrote:They should have stayed at Croke Park the atmos there always seemed to be buzzing on the TV.

It's a fairly new construction though, and I think just needs to be lived in awhile. Bit like a new house I suppose.
Ireland are unpredictable at the moment. If we turn it on we can beat most. We should have beat England (even though we didn't play well), and, even more so, we should have beat Scotland. Stupid basic errors costing us each game.
I can't call this game at all. If Ireland get the basics right, and play with intensity then I believe they will win. That's a big 'if' for this Ireland side...

Don't you mean that "you would have liked them to have beaten England"? Makes sense now.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 7 Mar - 11:51

100%beefy wrote:This is a MUST win for both sides, but Michalak's selection is a parody....Ireland will attack his channel all day.

I think Ireland's home advantage shoud tell but France must have one performance up their sleeve.

Irish defeat will signal the end for Kidney next weekend.

Well I'm not saying they're not capable of two (that's more Ireland's territory, the one seismic game a season effort)...but on the idea that France needs one performance up their sleeve, I think they've already had one - the England game. No they didn't win - and their coach had a part to play in that - but they didn't need the win to suggest that was one pretty good, mentally involved and hot effort after their beginning of the season.

Ireland really haven't had a full 80 minute game yet. They're all over the place tactically...but if the hound is in them for one unbeatable game (per season!!) this could be it. Who genuinely knows...I don't.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 7 Mar - 11:54

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
VictorU3 wrote:They should have stayed at Croke Park the atmos there always seemed to be buzzing on the TV.

It's a fairly new construction though, and I think just needs to be lived in awhile. Bit like a new house I suppose.
Ireland are unpredictable at the moment. If we turn it on we can beat most. We should have beat England (even though we didn't play well), and, even more so, we should have beat Scotland. Stupid basic errors costing us each game.
I can't call this game at all. If Ireland get the basics right, and play with intensity then I believe they will win. That's a big 'if' for this Ireland side...

Don't you mean that "you would have liked them to have beaten England"? Makes sense now.

I think he means with proper preparation and some actual coaching, we should have beaten England.... but playing the way we're playing for the last three or so years (rudderless), we didn't have a hope in hell! I think that's how it goes Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 11:58

"Don't you mean that "you would have liked them to have beaten England? Makes sense now."

Of course I would have liked Ireland to beat England Erm, but no, I was fairly clear. I believe Ireland should have beaten England. I'm not knocking England. They are a good side under SL, and I believe could become a great side in time, but as France exposed; they are not there yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 7 Mar - 12:01

With better coaching, preparation and players Ireland could have beaten England. It cannot be denied.

Having said that even though the two games England won against Ireland and France were pretty close I think they were fairly comfortable towards the end of both games.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu 7 Mar - 12:06

I just don't see how Ireland "should" have beaten England. The weather was shocking making a real assessment very tricky, but England have shown both in 2012 and 2013 that they have more in the locker than Ireland by simply having better players in most positions. The only area where we were bested (marginally) was the scrum, but in the loose, breakdown, defesively and as an attacking threat, England were simply the better side.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 12:08

"I think he means with proper preparation and some actual coaching, we should have beaten England.... but playing the way we're playing for the last three or so years (rudderless), we didn't have a hope in hell! I think that's how it goes Wink[/quote]"

'Rudderless' It does seem that way doesn't it. A new coaching ticket, and onwards and upwards....I hope...

Last edited by Munchkin on Thu 7 Mar - 13:22; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 7 Mar - 12:10

Not a hope that Ireland should have beaten England. On another day maybe when injury and weather didnt go against us but on the day England deserved their win. We played a game plan not suited to the elements which was our own fault. England played what was in front of them and not their fault we lost Sexton and Zebo to injury.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 12:14

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:With better coaching, preparation and players Ireland could have beaten England. It cannot be denied.

Having said that even though the two games England won against Ireland and France were pretty close I think they were fairly comfortable towards the end of both games.

Yes, England have a good bench. No doubt, although I would argue that Englands win over France was more a case of really poor substitutions by France than quality substitutions by England. Maybe England would have gone on to win regardless. I don't know, but France had the upper hand by some distance in that first half.

Last edited by Munchkin on Thu 7 Mar - 12:28; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 12:18

red_stag wrote:Not a hope that Ireland should have beaten England. On another day maybe when injury and weather didnt go against us but on the day England deserved their win. We played a game plan not suited to the elements which was our own fault. England played what was in front of them and not their fault we lost Sexton and Zebo to injury.

Nobody is saying that England didn't deserve their win, stag. Just that errors, such as crumbling under the high ball, poor line-outs, ect, cost us the game. Stupid stuff, and rightly punished for it. If I had have been an England fan I would have been laughing my socks off.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 7 Mar - 12:24

Jimpy wrote:France will win this because they have no choice. Lose and they'll be exiled to Elba or something...

Ireland have too many injuries, and Kidney is starting to drop Howleyesque selection clangers.

France showed against England that they're clicking. Cut out the daft substitutions and they'll be more than a match for Ireland over the 80 minutes.

I would agree with you if PSA had kept the same line-up. According to The Guardianista's though:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/07/six-nations-2013-france-ireland

Parra/Trinh-duc not starting Shocked

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu 7 Mar - 12:26

The BBC has Parra as starting, with Micholak coming in for Trinh-duc.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 7 Mar - 12:28

Ah, all speculation across the medja hacks. There's a surprise.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 7 Mar - 12:37

Parra.................. now there's a red flag to a bull that Irish players could use as incitement............ if they were genuinely interested in getting that head of steam up.

My worry is that the urge has left them to take emotion into their contests these days.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu 7 Mar - 12:41

Does Parra have form with Ireland?

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 7 Mar - 12:44

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Does Parra have form with Ireland?

How long is a piece of string
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 7 Mar - 12:45

Parra called Ireland 'cheats' back in 2010(?). I'm not sure he actually said anything particularly bad though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu 7 Mar - 12:54

Ireland can beat France but i dont believe they will.

France have the wood on Ireland for a while now.

Ireland are seemingly in confusion over 10 having dropped O'Gara.

BOD has said that the only reason Ireland lost to England was because he had had a baby so wasn't focussed. Presumably he still isnt.

France by 10

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 7 Mar - 12:56

Parra said we're cheats yes.... said there was no reason to have respect for the irish team. And he said he always knows what to expect from Ireland. And has been a thorn in our side on playing day itself for far too long.

In short, he says he and France just have to turn up and Ireland do a few well known clown tricks infront of them and then get duly beaten.

If I were Ireland coach, if I were new Captain trying to motivate, if I were fresh young players with reputations to build...Parra would certainly be a man targeted for a nice day (legally!!) at the office. It's more than enough time that he was sent home with his tail between his legs.

Great little player! The basteraud!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 7 Mar - 12:57

"BOD has said that the only reason Ireland lost to England was because he had had a baby so wasn't focussed. Presumably he still isnt. "

sado

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 7 Mar - 13:02

Triangulation wrote:

BOD has said that the only reason Ireland lost to England was because he had had a baby so wasn't focussed. Presumably he still isnt.

Quit stirring shyte, Tri. You won. ..and O'Driscoll didn't say a word of that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 7 Mar - 13:04

Triangulation wrote:BOD has said that the only reason Ireland lost to England was because he had had a baby so wasn't focussed. Presumably he still isnt.

Rolling Eyes
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 7 Mar - 13:23

red_stag wrote:
Triangulation wrote:BOD has said that the only reason Ireland lost to England was because he had had a baby so wasn't focussed. Presumably he still isnt.

Rolling Eyes

I believe what he said was that having the baby was a much bigger deal than the rugby and because of that he maybe wasnt as focused as he might have been and was certainly unable to provide the leadership that his team needed at the time. Nothing wrong with that at all.

We'll never know what would have happened had the day been sunny, the injury situation kinder and BOD been undistracted but despite the closeness of the scoreline Ireland were comprehensively beaten up on the day

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 7 Mar - 13:25

Lostinwales,

Yes O'Driscoll said he wasn't as focused as usual. He certainly never said it was the "only reason Ireland lost".

I agree in full Ireland were comprehensively beaten on the day. England were more comfortable than the 6 points suggested.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 7 Mar - 13:26

Of course Ireland can win. The only things wrong with Ireland right now are attitude and the bit of vision to finish moves. Not since the first half against Wales have they put it together and what they got wrong against England was that their heads were in the wrong place. The aggression that should have gone into the rugby came out as niggly confrontation and it cost them the game. They stopped thinking. Against Scotland they had just lost all confidence in themselves.

PSA is doing his best to give them opportunities to win this selecting Freddie again. He's crazy. The only performance they have put in as yet was against England and maybe that was the best they have to offer this season. If PSA put out the team that started against us then they would be slight favourites in my mind but they aren't going to by all accounts and that tips it in Ireland's favour. Ireland by a score.

BTW, don't believe BOD would be arrogant enough to claim he was the difference between winning and losing against England.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 13:28

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:I just don't see how Ireland "should" have beaten England. The weather was shocking making a real assessment very tricky, but England have shown both in 2012 and 2013 that they have more in the locker than Ireland by simply having better players in most positions. The only area where we were bested (marginally) was the scrum, but in the loose, breakdown, defesively and as an attacking threat, England were simply the better side.

England posed an attacking threat against Ireland? You sure? You don't think that rather than an attacking threat, England capitalized on Irelands errors?

Last edited by Munchkin on Thu 7 Mar - 13:36; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 7 Mar - 13:34

Poor old BOD.

It's a bit like when David James (ex-Liverpool keeper) admitted that his poor performance was due to playing Tomb Raider all night.

Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 7 Mar - 13:40

Priceless stuff here;

http://joe.ie/rugby/six-nations/audio-gift-grubs-take-on-the-ogarakidney-situation-is-very-funny-indeed-0035114-1
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 7 Mar - 13:42

England cruised through the game and easily took their scalp. And O'Driscoll wasn't the only thing wrong with Ireland on that day - not by a bloody long shot. So no excuses. England won the game without having to move into anything like their top gear. Ireland were pathetic in invention and intention.

That absolutely says nothing about the natural ability of either set of players (England are coached now to the highest levels by a competent set of coaches and Ireland are a ship with many holes in it trying to stay afloat and get to a homeport somewhere quick)

'Better players' would be a shot too far for me to swallow as regard English verses Irish. England have a better team, certainly - best in Europe at present.

And just to add O'Driscolls real words, lest some English prefer to believe, or choose to believe, Tri's version over ours:

"I don't even remember a lot of the game and I was in my own world for much of the time,
It was the sort of match that needed a bit of leadership from me but which I wasn't quite able to deliver as I usually would have hoped to have done. It was all quite bizarre. I didn't make any great errors but I didn't add a huge amount either. It was a day of extremes."

The ego of the man Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 7 Mar - 13:43

Munchkin wrote:
A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:I just don't see how Ireland "should" have beaten England. The weather was shocking making a real assessment very tricky, but England have shown both in 2012 and 2013 that they have more in the locker than Ireland by simply having better players in most positions. The only area where we were bested (marginally) was the scrum, but in the loose, breakdown, defesively and as an attacking threat, England were simply the better side.

England posed an attacking threat against Ireland? You sure? You don't think that rather than an attacking threat, England capitalized on Irelands errors?

There was some of that and a lot of England's dominance was to do with stopping Ireland getting any scoring chances. The closest (probably only) try scoring chance for Ireland was when Kearney had the ball and a lot of empty space infront of him, only to get taken out by a great Youngs tackle. In contrast Tuilagi came on for a few minutes did virtually nothing but still got into two situations where on another day he might have scored - the bad hack on following an Irish fumble (I believe) and the Farrell chip into the the Irish in goal area. It was a dreadful day for attacking rugby. It was a great day for playing for field position and knowing what to do with and without the ball. All that matters is scoring more points than the opposition.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 7 Mar - 13:49

Wowzers for some unknown reason PSA has picked Michalak at 10!!! picard Doh http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21698503

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 13:51

Notch wrote:Priceless stuff here;

http://joe.ie/rugby/six-nations/audio-gift-grubs-take-on-the-ogarakidney-situation-is-very-funny-indeed-0035114-1

EOS was hilarious Laugh

Thanks for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Thu 7 Mar - 13:56

Jackson to start with Madigan on the bench. Also, Archer makes the bench as replacement tighthead.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Thu 7 Mar - 13:57

Munchkin wrote:

England posed an attacking threat against Ireland? You sure? You don't think that that rather than an attacking threat, England capitalized on Irelands errors?

It was a close game - small margins at this level make all the difference - BOD was unusually quiet I thought. Could he have made the difference if fully focussed? Yeah, I think he could. He didn't, he had a bloody good reason for not being entirely on his game, and BOD not quite on his game is still a better than any other Irish option, or in my opinion any other centre in the NH right now. (with the possible exception of Fofana).

In answer to the OP - I think Ireland can, and will win. Looks like a great game, two great scrummaging teams, two of the best centres, and both seeing the game as a must win.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 13:59

"There was some of that and a lot of England's dominance was to do with stopping Ireland getting any scoring chances. The closest (probably only) try scoring chance for Ireland was when Kearney had the ball and a lot of empty space infront of him, only to get taken out by a great Youngs tackle. In contrast Tuilagi came on for a few minutes did virtually nothing but still got into two situations where on another day he might have scored - the bad hack on following an Irish fumble (I believe) and the Farrell chip into the the Irish in goal area. It was a dreadful day for attacking rugby. It was a great day for playing for field position and knowing what to do with and without the ball. All that matters is scoring more points than the opposition.[/quote]"

Have you read the stats for that game? I agree though. At the end of it all that matters is the score, and England deserved their win outright.

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu 7 Mar - 14:10

Munchkin wrote:

Undoubtedly so and as I said it was difficult to learn much from the game due to conditions, but from the very few multi-phase attacks before the inevitable error, England looked a tad more threatening going forward. Anyways to say Ireland should have won seems a tad optimistic.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 14:22

"Undoubtedly so and as I said it was difficult to learn much from the game due to conditions, but from the very few multi-phase attacks before the inevitable error, England looked a tad more threatening going forward. Anyways to say Ireland should have won seems a tad optimistic.[/quote]"

Looking back on it wouldn't be an optimistic consideration. I was certainly optimistic prior to the game though, but not overly so considering the second half of the Wales game, and the improvement in the England side. It was a home game, so I had Ireland slightly ahead.
Put it another way; Ireland did more wrong than England did right. That's not saying England had a bad game. England played the conditions well. It is saying that Ireland played well below their potential, and regardless of the weather.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 7 Mar - 14:29

I think the edge that England seem to have over their immediate rivals, and in particular Ireland, is having the wit to find the way to adapt their game and find solutions. I dont know if its on field leadership or coaching but in both the England and Scotland games Ireland didnt adapt and looked clueless in the last 10-20 minutes. Plan A didnt work and there was no plan B

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu 7 Mar - 14:32

SecretFly wrote:England cruised through the game and easily took their scalp. And O'Driscoll wasn't the only thing wrong with Ireland on that day - not by a bloody long shot. So no excuses. England won the game without having to move into anything like their top gear. Ireland were pathetic in invention and intention.

That absolutely says nothing about the natural ability of either set of players (England are coached now to the highest levels by a competent set of coaches and Ireland are a ship with many holes in it trying to stay afloat and get to a homeport somewhere quick)

'Better players' would be a shot too far for me to swallow as regard English verses Irish. England have a better team, certainly - best in Europe at present.

And just to add O'Driscolls real words, lest some English prefer to believe, or choose to believe, Tri's version over ours:

"I don't even remember a lot of the game and I was in my own world for much of the time,
It was the sort of match that needed a bit of leadership from me but which I wasn't quite able to deliver as I usually would have hoped to have done. It was all quite bizarre. I didn't make any great errors but I didn't add a huge amount either. It was a day of extremes."

The ego of the man Wink

Well i can consider myself reprimanded!
Perhaps it was the headline that said " i wasn't focussed" and not the man himself. The gist of it all is that he was not fully focussed and as the great man says himself he was not able to give of his best. That is what he is saying. Now without wanting to be unkind there may be many reasons why any given player is not able to give of their best on a match day but what is the relevance of it now? OR am i missing something? Is this BOD's way of being accountable? No one can blame him for not being able to give of his all. It is not as if an apology is warranted is it?

I do question the need on his part to say anything at all.
Blame Stuart Lancaster for my comment on all this. If he put his team out a bit earlier i would be otherwise distracted.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Mar - 14:35

lostinwales wrote:I think the edge that England seem to have over their immediate rivals, and in particular Ireland, is having the wit to find the way to adapt their game and find solutions. I dont know if its on field leadership or coaching but in both the England and Scotland games Ireland didnt adapt and looked clueless in the last 10-20 minutes. Plan A didnt work and there was no plan B

Absolutely agree, lostinwales. As another has said; Ireland appear rudderless at times. Lacking in a plan B, in invention, and in clear leadership.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 7 Mar - 14:42

Anyway

Good luck irish... I just think both teams look a bit clueless when it comes to closing things out

Its as 50/50 game as i can think off.

Last year I went for a 1pt victory to ireland..(it ended up being a draw)

this year a 1 pt victory to france.

I have a feeling there is a big chance of lighting striking twice..

Draw could happen again

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu 7 Mar - 14:43

[quote="Munchkin"]
lostinwales wrote:I think the edge that England seem to have over their immediate rivals, and in particular Ireland, is having the wit to find the way to adapt their game and find solutions. I dont know if its on field leadership or coaching but in both the England and Scotland games Ireland didnt adapt and looked clueless in the last 10-20 minutes. Plan A didnt work and there was no plan B

Absolutely agree, lostinwales. As another has said; Ireland appear rudderless at times. Lacking in a plan B, in invention, and in clear leadership.[/quote

I think it is all of the above and this is not scientific by any means and part hunch.....

I think we have a very intelligent forward pack.

Listen to how intelligent sounding and articulate Tom Wood is when he speaks for example.

We've got the smarts. We're well coached and we've got the right culture.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu 7 Mar - 14:55

I can understand why the Irish need or want to find extraneous reasons (other than talent) for their loss to England.

The Irish have had the wood on us by and large for 8 years with the odd exception.

They've grown accustomed to beating us.

This is new and strange to them.

(More) pure speculation here this time from me............if it had been dry in Dublin England would've won by more.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 7 Mar - 14:57

Tri, I read your peice...I won't reprint it here cause I'm off shortly.

He (O'Driscoll) gave an interview. You talk in one of those things I hear...unless you're Ferguson Wink Anyway, he gave an interview about his thoughts on being a new Dad and the feelings it engenders in him...and given that the child turnd up just about the same time as the English game...he gave a few cents on the link between the two.

Read the full interview...it's a nicer, softer, cuddlier one than the outline you initially gave. Wink But I accept the rethink on it by you.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu 7 Mar - 15:03

Yes. PSA picking Michelak is just mad. They went to bits when he came on against England and was rubbish against Wales and Italy. Seems every coach has his blind spot.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 7 Mar - 15:40

Triangulation wrote:I can understand why the Irish need or want to find extraneous reasons (other than talent) for their loss to England.

The Irish have had the wood on us by and large for 8 years with the odd exception.

(More) pure speculation here this time from me............if it had been dry in Dublin England would've won by more.

Again, what you say might be true...but it'd be true for the very same reasons we lost in the wet...bad system in place at management level..I mean our coaching staff are proving they're consistently underperforming on tactics, strategy, preparation planning, player choices etc. Outsiders pretend not to see it, children in Bolivia, who don't watch rugby, would Wink

Again - England - new coach - and a good one. Ireland - same coach as last time, and last time, - not proving good based on violently inconsistent performances. The amount of rain won't change that and not all us Irish fans claim the rain was the issue in the English game...most sensible ones know there was a hatful of reasons.

You constantly need approval to prove your worth, Tri. It's never enough that you won, it always has to be acknowledged by the vanquished before you're satisfied.

Well, you won..and deserved to and England is a pretty neat team in European terms right now..and you never know, they might get a habit of beating SH opposition too. We'll see. England are in a good position; Ireland are in a dreadful position. Ireland still have the players (individually) who can play real A grade rugby and have proven it in performances through the bad years (highest try scorers last year). With the right 'Lancaster' leading us, our fortunes, like England's, might rise.

We're down...not out.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu 7 Mar - 16:04

SecretFly wrote:
Triangulation wrote:I can understand why the Irish need or want to find extraneous reasons (other than talent) for their loss to England.

Again, what you say might be true...but it'd be true for the very same reasons we lost in the wet...bad system in place at management level..I mean our coaching staff are proving they're consistently underperforming on tactics, strategy, preparation planning, player choices etc. Outsiders pretend not to see it, children in Bolivia, who don't watch rugby, would Wink

Again - England - new coach - and a good one. Ireland - same coach as last time, and last time, - not proving good based on violently inconsistent performances. The amount of rain won't change that and not all us Irish fans claim the rain was the issue in the English game...most sensible ones know there was a hatful of reasons.

You constantly need approval to prove your worth, Tri. It's never enough that you won, it always has to be acknowledged by the vanquished before you're satisfied.

Well, you won..and deserved to and England is a pretty neat team in European terms right now..and you never know, they might get a habit of beating SH opposition too. We'll see. England are in a good position; Ireland are in a dreadful position. Ireland still have the players (individually) who can play real A grade rugby and have proven it in performances through the bad years (highest try scorers last year). With the right 'Lancaster' leading us, our fortunes, like England's, might rise.

We're down...not out.

After 8 years you'd want a little joy too yer fecker! Why dya have to be so damned reasonable man!? Feck. Youll be back i know it.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu 7 Mar - 16:10

Personally, I think Kidney gets a raw deal. Ireland's problems aren't tactical but down to poor execution. The coach's tactics provided his team with 80% possession and territory against Scotland but the team couldn't score, there's only so much a coach can do.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 7 Mar - 16:17

France tend to be Irelands Ireland.

For the last few years Ireland tend to raise their game against Wales (who knows why) and all games are generally tight affairs, and both teams know how to play against the other.

France do a similar thing with Ireland, they seem to be able to pip the games even when underdogs, Ireland (until recently) were the dominant force in the 6N but were always in danger of the odd loss to both France and Scotland.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Thu 7 Mar - 16:43

thebluesmancometh wrote:France tend to be Irelands Ireland.

For the last few years Ireland tend to raise their game against Wales (who knows why) and all games are generally tight affairs, and both teams know how to play against the other.

France do a similar thing with Ireland, they seem to be able to pip the games even when underdogs, Ireland (until recently) were the dominant force in the 6N but were always in danger of the odd loss to both France and Scotland.

???????????????

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next