The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Isa Nacewa to retire

+19
Standulstermen
VinceWLB
Notch
Feckless Rogue
red_stag
SecretFly
Mickado
brennomac
UlstermaninGlasgow
Sin é
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Jenifer McLadyboy
asoreleftshoulder
Kingshu
aucklandlaurie
Artful_Dodger
rodders
geoff998rugby
pete (buachaill on eirne)
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Isa Nacewa to retire Empty Isa Nacewa to retire

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:23 am

Isa looks set to retire at the young age of 30. Not sure if this is an injury issue but the Irishtimes have written that he wants to return to New Zealand with his young family. Does injury have a role in this?

A great player for the club game, very expressive, very positive and outstandingly creative. He was capped for Fiji and thus never got to fulfill his dream of playing for the All Blacks and boycotted the International game by refusing continuous invitations to play by Fiji.

As a Leinster fan, he has been an amazing player and character for us. He shall be missed and I'm sure I speak for many here in wishing him the best, the very best and nothing but the best.

Íosa
guinness

Back to top Go down

Isa Nacewa to retire Empty Re: Isa Nacewa to retire

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:29 am

Some serious holes appearing in the Leinster backline - Sexton, Nacewa, BOD? now.

D'Arcy, Reddan and Boss are not spring chickens either

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:29 am

Wow sad news indeed. Fantastic player, definitely one of the very best overseas signings Irish rugby has made. He was absolutely pivotal to Leinsters success over the past few seasons..... that try against the Tigers last season stands out but there are many more examples of his mesmeric play... very physical in defence too..

That said he looked to have lost a bit of zip in attack this season so maybe age and injuries were catching up.

Best Wishes to him and his family guinness .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:50 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Some serious holes appearing in the Leinster backline - Sexton, Nacewa, BOD? now.

D'Arcy, Reddan and Boss are not spring chickens either

Very true. Remember that we have lost Conway and Carr too and Niall Morris and Horgan a few years ago too.
Fitz cannot be relied upon to not be injured. Kearney will be away for a lot of the year, indeed so may Madigan.
Recruitment time I feel.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

rodders wrote:Wow sad news indeed. Fantastic player, definitely one of the very best overseas signings Irish rugby has made. He was absolutely pivotal to Leinsters success over the past few seasons..... that try against the Tigers last season stands out but there are many more examples of his mesmeric play... very physical in defence too..

That said he looked to have lost a bit of zip in attack this season so maybe age and injuries were catching up.

Best Wishes to him and his family guinness .

+1

Crying or Very sad

guinness

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

Such a shame if he goes at 30, amazing player.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:00 am

Nacewa performed better as a provincial player, and did nt enjoy as much success as a club player, he never won a Gallaher Shield.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:15 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Nacewa performed better as a provincial player, and did nt enjoy as much success as a club player, he never won a Gallaher Shield.

Sometimes a player just fits a time and place....Nacewa looked like he was born to play for Schmidts Leinster and arguably was the main catalyst for much of what made Leinster such a potent side over the past 3 seasons. He seemed to have a telepathic understanding with his teammates at times.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:08 am

I take it he'll play for a Super XV team, can't believe the southern Hemp are poaching back, poached players!

3 Heineken Cups, is a good haul to bring back to NZ with him, and I'm sure he would be in demand.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:17 am

Fantastic player will be sorely missed.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

Kingshu wrote:I take it he'll play for a Super XV team, can't believe the southern Hemp are poaching back, poached players!

3 Heineken Cups, is a good haul to bring back to NZ with him, and I'm sure he would be in demand.

Don't think so. He is actually retiring.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:52 pm

What a player. Imagine if he could have played for Ireland. I wonder is this has anything to do with the IRFU and their stance on foreign players and extending their contracts.

On another note I am concerned for Leinster next season. No second rows, two ageing and average 9s, an exciting but ultimately very inexperienced 10, potentially no BOD and no real replacement, no wings. Could be a very testing season. We will really see what Schimdt is named of as a coach now.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:00 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:What a player. Imagine if he could have played for Ireland. I wonder is this has anything to do with the IRFU and their stance on foreign players and extending their contracts.

On another note I am concerned for Leinster next season. No second rows,
Cullen (or replacement), Roux, McCarthy, Toner, Marshall, Flanagan. Perhaps not top of the tree but damn good.
Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:two ageing and average 9s,
+ Cooney & McGrath improving faster than the other 2 are fading.
Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:an exciting but ultimately very inexperienced 10, potentially no BOD and no real replacement, no wings. Could be a very testing season. We will really see what Schimdt is named of as a coach now.
Pretty sure Joe has a plan for the backs. Watch this space. Would hardly have let Conway and Carr go otherwise. (He knew about Isa since Christmas) If not, then we ARE focked.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:08 pm

Sorry Jennifer, naming those names just shows you have no second rows. I am not impressed with McCarthy but he could be a good signing. The young 9s are inexperienced and we have no idea what they will e like in the senior game. Leinster must bring in some players and quickly

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:11 pm

McCarthy is the biggest hype job in Irish rugby right now. He must have the same agent as Keith Earls, Mike Ross and Fergus McFadden.

Leo Cullen should have hired him. Proper auld warhorse....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

Couldn't agree more Rodders. One tackle in the autumn, a move to Leinster and he is a great player. Nonsense

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:20 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Couldn't agree more Rodders. One tackle in the autumn, a move to Leinster and he is a great player. Nonsense

Well at least he will be used to playing for a struggling team.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:34 pm

Also wasn't there talk of Roux going elsewhere

I honestly feel that Toner and Cullen were the weakest second row we have seen at Ravenhill this year - on a par with ours away in Italy (McComb and Diack)

Leinster need better than that.

I agree re McCarthy - possibly the most overated player in Irish rugby

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:35 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Couldn't agree more Rodders. One tackle in the autumn, a move to Leinster and he is a great player. Nonsense

I think he had an awful six nations. he looked really poor with the ball, lots of handling errors, when he got it he rarely made gains. He will help our scrum though and probably maul as well.

I hope Joe has some back 3 players coming in, otherwise we are in BIG trouble.

I think Reddan is under rated for Leinster. He isn't used well for Ireland due to Kidney's style but he does do well for Leinster.

I think second rows will be stronger than they are this year. Marshall is improving. Roux will hopefully be fit. McCarthy is a good signing overall.

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:44 pm

I heard a rumour of Pieterson? Would be a class replacement for Isa "The Ice Man" Nacewa...

Such a classy player. Hopefully him and Dr Phil get to meet in the Amlin Final! However as an Ulsterman, I'm hoping he doesn't get a Rabo medal this year!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:I heard a rumour of Pieterson? Would be a class replacement for Isa "The Ice Man" Nacewa...

Such a classy player. Hopefully him and Dr Phil get to meet in the Amlin Final! However as an Ulsterman, I'm hoping he doesn't get a Rabo medal this year!

Goebells Thornley said in the IT that they have identified a replacement in SA - Pietersen would be ideal.

Also agree with earlier posters that next year is going to bhe one of transition for Leinster and currently with Sexton and Isa defo gone, doubts over BOD and Darcy, we're looking decidedly bare in the back line - not to mention the situation in the second row. Let's hope Sale are relegated from the AP and Gray has an exit clause in his contract - we need someone like him badly.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

brennomac wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:I heard a rumour of Pieterson? Would be a class replacement for Isa "The Ice Man" Nacewa...

Goebells Thornley said in the IT that they have identified a replacement in SA - Pietersen would be ideal.

Also agree with earlier posters that next year is going to bhe one of transition for Leinster and currently with Sexton and Isa defo gone, doubts over BOD and Darcy, we're looking decidedly bare in the back line - not to mention the situation in the second row. Let's hope Sale are relegated from the AP and Gray has an exit clause in his contract - we need someone like him badly.

Fairly sure he's been signed by Castres.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

It might be a tad over-dramatic to say rugby in Ireland is disintegrating before our eyes...but rugby in Ireland is disintegrating before our eyes................ Wink

Ok, only maybe for a week or two, if we're lucky... but the amount of bad news stories and unfortunate records we've broken in the last few weeks/months is just bizarre.

As I've always said about us Irish...when we want to do things badly boy we do it big time.

Very sad about Nacewa but I'd kinda picked up the hints earlier that things were stirring. Makes you understand just what has been going on in Sexton's head when he was making his decisions.

I'm sure players talk to each other about plans and this seems to be an ending of sorts for the HC winning Leinster class - a new chapter will begin and new players will have to try to take up the burden of such a successful brand. But I think the present guys seem to want to leave school together.

Can't see Cullen staying too long either?

It also makes you wonder what might be getting said by Schmidt, and what his future plans might be.

But anyway, Nacewa a great Leinster player and will not be forgotten. And I'm sure whenever he returns to Ireland he'll be reminded of the elephant memories we have for old heros.

It'd be nice to see him maybe taken back for some pundit role at certain times in a year (maybe HC endings or the next WC) It's be just nice to think he'd keep the link (Howlett too) with this country in some way.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:54 pm

SecretFly wrote:It might be a tad over-dramatic to say rugby in Ireland is disintegrating before our eyes...but rugby in Ireland is disintegrating before our eyes................ Wink

Not dramatic at all fly, in fact I'm glad some others starting to grasp the gravity of the current situation. It's like when people dismissed the significance of Lehman brothers collapse in 2008. The end is nigh, yee have been warned......
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:25 pm

I feel more comfortable now

Its no just Ulster in crises it is Ireland as a whole Yahoo

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

rodders wrote:McCarthy is the biggest hype job in Irish rugby right now. He must have the same agent as Keith Earls, Mike Ross and Fergus McFadden.

Leo Cullen should have hired him. Proper auld warhorse....
Yah little wumie bastige Rodders. Smile

If Macker is so crap he will find himself behind Roux.

Would I like another high profile lock at Leinster? Sure. Will we get one? Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it.

6 locks is enough I reckon. I like McCarthy, Not world class but a grafter. great engine on him.

At this stage we need backs more than forwards. More worried about that tbh. Have known about Isa leaving for a long time and was surprised when we let Carr and Conway go. Must mean there is a plan..... A very cunning plan.....hopefully

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm

Pieterson would be a good signing however it would not contend with the level of exits that are occuring.

We are done in the second row now I can't see us investing anymore there not this year anyway.

VDM is leaving is he not too? Hope McGrath is ready for A LOT more gametime.

Conway, Carr, Nacewa. That's 3. BOD may be going too. Sexton is another so Madigan can't be used as a FB anymore.
Who do we have to cover??

Reddan-Madigan
Darcy-O'Malley
Kearney-Kearney-McFadden

Boss-Kiwi guy-Fitzgerald

This is with 0 injuries and we all know how we were doing at the start of the season in that regard.

Who do we have coming through? Macken? Hudson? Boyle?
What Irish players are about that we can recruit for the back 5?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:02 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Must mean there is a plan..... A very cunning plan.....hopefully

There is, there is. Schmidt has already formulated it. He's going to jump the sinking ship and let the next coach worry about it Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:10 pm

Leinster need to get busy signing now. I really don't see why they allowed Conway to move.

Maybe they could take Johne Murphy off Munster or bring in Ian Whitten from Exeter Chiefs.

They could (and probably will) ransack Connachts emerging backline - Dave McSharry, Eoin Griffin, Tiernan O'Halloran and Robbie Henshaw will find interest shining on them from Dublin.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:16 pm

You never know...they might even sign a young Connacht player with some savvy in the backs department called Fionn Carr!

"Hi, Fionn? Have you signed the dotted line yet? - Well, tell them your little nephew did it when you weren't looking. We need you back here before you left, okay."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:19 pm

Have Connacht got a backline as good as (if not better) than Leinster:

Connacht
09 Kieran Marmion
10 Dan Parks
11 Tiernan O'Halloran
12 Dave McSharry
13 Eoin Griffin
14 Fionn Carr
15 Robbie Henshaw

Leinster
09 Eoin Reddan
10 Ian Madigan
11 Dave Kearney
12 Gordon Darcy
13 Eoin O'Malley
14 Fergus McFadden
15 Rob Kearney
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:25 pm

red_stag wrote:Leinster need to get busy signing now. I really don't see why they allowed Conway to move.

Maybe they could take Johne Murphy off Munster or bring in Ian Whitten from Exeter Chiefs.

They could (and probably will) ransack Connachts emerging backline - Dave McSharry, Eoin Griffin, Tiernan O'Halloran and Robbie Henshaw will find interest shining on them from Dublin.

This, I really hope they do not do.
Getting Whitten back would be great and I am sure there are other lads playing abroad but I would not take Connacht's personel. They should be let develop for a few years.

I think Leinster are now going to be more reliant on NIQ's than they have been probably ever in their history.

Roux (project?) and that Kiwi lad are the only two we have, so I would expect us to buy and buy well. A lot of pillars have been removed in terms of leadership/experience so we will need that quality experience in these signings. JP could be a good call. AAC would be great. Some of those Kiwi internationals looking for bucks. These guys need to be in to help the young lads develop.

Madigan is a running flyhalf and now that he has finally come in to possession of the 10 jersey he may find himself with a backline that isn't good enough to run the ball.

Fitz should be resigned.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:26 pm

You will find it very hard to sign top class internationals until after the RWC 2015 I would say.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:30 pm

09 Possibly
10 In some ways yes in other ways certainly no. No
11 NO (I'm a big fan of Dave Kearney..so maybe I'm cheating there)
12 Possibly
13 Possibly
14 Hard to say. Another Possible. Some people blame Carr for not taking his chances. I say he didn't get many and wasn't a disaster when he did.
15 Big Brother Kearney disappoints me. He promises more than he delivers. So I'll say Yes.

So that's 4 possibly betters and 1 better for Connacht by my loose analysis reckoning.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:36 pm

red_stag wrote:You will find it very hard to sign top class internationals until after the RWC 2015 I would say.

Probably not on one year deals, two years I would imagine will be very difficult unless they are looking to make bucks before they retire. I'm not hugely confident I must say but I know Joe will do well at maximising his resources.

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:46 pm

red_stag wrote:You will find it very hard to sign top class internationals until after the RWC 2015 I would say.

And also if your not prepared to pay more than Japanese clubs.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:53 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Yeah..that's a consideration that exists.

But there is also the lure of playing in the Heineken Cup for players who want to spread their wings and yet still want to retain a level of competitiveness where they go. And also just to be part of what might not be the 'best' club competition in the world, but with the crowds and publicity and passions..it's certainly a nice show to be involved in, a nice one to possibly add to your collection of titles.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:56 pm

SecretFly wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Yeah..that's a consideration that exists.

But there is also the lure of playing in the Heineken Cup for players who want to spread their wings and yet still want to retain a level of competitiveness where they go. And also just to be part of what might not be the 'best' club competition in the world, but with the crowds and publicity and passions..it's certainly a nice show to be involved in, a nice one to possibly add to your collection of titles.

The Japanese clubs have indeed redirected the emigrations. It will be harder now than before, there will be some who think Leinster could be a good place to go.

I hate saying this but I do think next season is going to be ugly for us and possible signings will see that too

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:59 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Or indeed French ones.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:00 pm

Why retiring at 30? Injuries or family reasons?

He'd be in my all time Leinster 15. In his best position. Fullback. Ahead of Kearney and Girv the Swerve.

By the looks of our backline at the moment maybe we should sack Schmidt and hire Kidney! He might be free soon.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:02 pm

Munster have actually a bucketload of back three players:

- Simon Zebo
- Keith Earls (will probably be used as a centre)
- Doug Howlett (will probably leave this year)
- Felix Jones
- Andrew Conway
- Luke O'Dea
- Johne Murphy
- Denis Hurley
- Danny Barnes (could be a good Leinster signing)
- Sean Scanlon
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:05 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:

By the looks of our backline at the moment maybe we should sack Schmidt and hire Kidney! He might be free soon.

Yahoo Quote of the year so far. Make sure Sin é reads that one.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:13 pm

red_stag wrote:Munster have actually a bucketload of back three players:

- Simon Zebo
- Keith Earls (will probably be used as a centre)
- Doug Howlett (will probably leave this year)
- Felix Jones
- Andrew Conway
- Luke O'Dea
- Johne Murphy
- Denis Hurley
- Danny Barnes (could be a good Leinster signing) Laugh
- Sean Scanlon
Yer alright thanks. Several of those are our cast offs anyway, the rest you are welcome to, bar Zebo who just signed a 3 year deal.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:17 pm

No bother Jenifer.

I think Barnes had (and still has) the potential to be a good Pro 12 player. I'd like to have seen him get more of a chance at Munster.

I don't understand the Conway move either from a Munster or a Leinster point of view to be honest.

I think Luke O'Dea is another guy who would do well at Leinster.

Turn your nose up all you want but they add depth to your squad and mean that when Fitz, Kearney, Darcy, McFadden go to play for Ireland that you aren't phooked.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

red_stag wrote:Leinster need to get busy signing now. I really don't see why they allowed Conway to move.

What Stag said. I'm assuming there are a few new signings in the pipeline for Leinster we don't know about, but the tight five needs stiffening up too.

They'll still be right up there in the Pro12 and likely a match for most in Europe, because they are perhaps the best drilled side in Europe. They do the basics very, very well. But I'd say they are really hoping BOD plays another year because to lose him as well as Sexton and Nacewa will definitely affect things.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

red_stag wrote:No bother Jenifer.

I think Barnes had (and still has) the potential to be a good Pro 12 player. I'd like to have seen him get more of a chance at Munster.

I don't understand the Conway move either from a Munster or a Leinster point of view to be honest.

I think Luke O'Dea is another guy who would do well at Leinster.

Turn your nose up all you want but they add depth to your squad and mean that when Fitz, Kearney, Darcy, McFadden go to play for Ireland that you aren't phooked.

Luke O'Dea I like but would he come to Leinster? Is he better than Conway? Barnes was at 13 any time I saw him. We have EOM and Macken neither of whom he is better than imo. If Bod retires neither of them will be in the Ireland 23. Plus we will probably have a utility back to replace Isa.

I am just praying that Joe has A/ A cunning plan and that B/ It doesn't get focked up by the IRFU or by players he was counting on not coming.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:46 pm

I too haven't been impressed at all by McCarthy he stops as soon as he catch the ball (and that is if he doesn't knock it on) and his workrate is really average. I really don't get why Tuohy or even Cullen aren't ahead of him.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:50 pm

Yeah Joe would see this coming.

Agree with stag and notch entirely above

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:58 am

Adam Ashley Cooper just signed a 2year extension with the Tahs. Sad

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:06 am

The Conway move is indeed strange.

It begs the question - did Munster come sniffing after him mid contract? (Tom Sears style outrage at protocols being broken)
Did Leinster tell him there was no place for him in their squad? (Unlikely given his playing time this season)
Did the IRFU tell/ask Leinster to move him to Munster? (Pretty unlikely too I'd say)

Is there some other grand plan? Frak.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next