The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Mayweather's greatest win really that great?

+18
Union Cane
Soldier_Of_Fortune
AdZacO
Adam D
coxy0001
HumanWindmill
Valero's Conscience
Imperial Ghosty
All Time Great
Jukebox Timebomb
Liam_Main
azania
Scottrf
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
BALTIMORA
D4thincarnation
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Was Mayweather's greatest win really that great? - Page 3 Empty Was Mayweather's greatest win really that great?

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 9:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

The superfeather weight fight against Diego Corrales is widely regarded as Floyd Mayweather's greatest win.

Corrales like Mayweather was an unbeaten young champion, Corrales had a great record of 33-0 with a high KO %.
Corrales was a huge superfeather over 5ft 10 and the fight was a 50/50 and was eagerly anticipated.

Now on the surface this looks like a great win for Mayweather his best in his career albeit 10 years ago but closely inspection of the Corrales physical and mental condition and realised that the Corrales that Mayweather faced was of a shell of the fighter he was and how good was he really.

First off Corrales had violent argument with his then wife that would lead to his marriage break-up and lead to Corrales serving a 14 month prison sentence.

He also had the court date looming at the time of the Mayweather fight, which Corrales new he would face prison because he would plea bargain.

The Mayweather fight was rushed together and Corrales had a falling out with his management for given away his title without his consent to a stablemate Steve Forbes. His management did not seem to be acting in his best interests.

Corrales sued his management which became another distraction in the lead up to the Mayweather fight.

Corrales being that tall struggled to make weight and at 22/23 when he was still growing it became even more difficult, he should have moved up to lightweight or even light-welter but his management wanted to cash in on the Mayweather fight.

It would be the last time Corrales would fight at 130lbs but he did everything he could to make weight. He would only eat a grapefruit a day when cutting, jogging in rubber suits, steam baths after steam bath. On the day of the weigh in Corrales lost 8lbs in that morning but for all his efforts of his grapefruit diet and running in a rubber suit he was still 2lbs over. He went back and managed to get the extra 2lbs off in time but at what cost.

On fight night Corrales body was starved and waterlogged trying to rehydrate which led to disastrous effects. Come the 3-4th round Corrales's body was cramping up, not only was he fighting Floyd Mayweather he was fighting all the effect of starving and dehydrating himself and then rehydrating again.

Corrales open and aggressive style was made for Mayweather, Mayweather also taunted him about his personal problems which Corrales took the bait and played into Mayweather's hand added to his mental and physical problems, does this taint this win of Mayweather's, which is meant to be his greatest?

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/rises-falls-of-diego-corrales/content?oid=14761

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Was Mayweather's greatest win really that great? - Page 3 Empty Re: Was Mayweather's greatest win really that great?

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 04 May 2011, 12:10 am

D4thincarnation wrote:Corrales's condition for the raises issue about the safety of fighters if a fighter can enter the ring in such a bad state.

He signed the contract. I refer you to Az's comment above.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Was Mayweather's greatest win really that great? - Page 3 Empty Re: Was Mayweather's greatest win really that great?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 04 May 2011, 12:10 am

Awesome win and absolutely no question marks over it

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 04 May 2011, 8:27 am

I remember seeing Cotto struggling badly trying to lose weight (especially those extra 2ibs!) for the Pac fight.

Does this take away the shine from Pac's win?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 8:42 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:I remember seeing Cotto struggling badly trying to lose weight (especially those extra 2ibs!) for the Pac fight.

Does this take away the shine from Pac's win?

For the Pac fight it doesn't. But if he fights Floyd and struggles to make weight and loses, then it would diminish the win. You must know the rules by now.

1) Oscar was in peak form when he fought pac. Very strong at the weight.
2) Marg was a devestating boxer
3) Shane is like fine wine, improves with age
4) The sun shines out of Pac's rear.
5) Morales was NOT weight drained when he lost to Pac

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 8:54 am

Wonderful win by one of the two greatest superfeathers of all time.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 9:05 am

You're all mental...I thought Floyd's one sided schooling of the world's most dangerous fighter, Sugar Shane Mosley, was his best win. Why is no-one mentioning THIS as Floyd's greatest ever win?

Pah, you lot make my blood boil!

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 9:13 am

DAVE667 wrote:You're all mental...I thought Floyd's one sided schooling of the world's most dangerous fighter, Sugar Shane Mosley, was his best win. Why is no-one mentioning THIS as Floyd's greatest ever win?

Pah, you lot make my blood boil!

Nope. SSM was coming off a 125 month lay-off and was getting old. two fights later (no win in them) he is much better, faster, stronger, ring rust free and also younger. Yes younger.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 04 May 2011, 9:18 am

Great win. End of.

Last edited by azania on Wed 04 May 2011, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : abusive)

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 10:04 am

I think some of you may be missing the point. Does the condition of the opponent matter or is it irrelevant.

To me it is clear that Corrales was quite severely dehydrated, to suffer cramps and leg cramps in the fight. He was also starving himself to make weight and his body was watterlogged from trying to rehydrate too quickly.

His mental state on top of all the physical problems surely affected Corrales performances.

Or is it irrelevant?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 10:08 am

D4thincarnation wrote:I think some of you may be missing the point. Does the condition of the opponent matter or is it irrelevant.

To me it is clear that Corrales was quite severely dehydrated, to suffer cramps and leg cramps in the fight. He was also starving himself to make weight and his body was watterlogged from trying to rehydrate too quickly.

His mental state on top of all the physical problems surely affected Corrales performances.

Or is it irrelevant?

He was schooled from R1.

Was oscar affected by weight loss when he fought Pac?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 10:11 am

D4thincarnation wrote:I think some of you may be missing the point. Does the condition of the opponent matter or is it irrelevant.

Or is it irrelevant?

You need to be very careful with this.

There is an American site which I use a great deal for research, but never joined due to the time lag. This site boasts among its membership several ex pros, fight insiders, pro journalists, etc., etc., including at least one - initials ' R F ' - who was VERY close to the Corrales camp in the run up to the fight in question, since he was covering the fight for a publication. He was pretty much omni present during Corrales' preparations, and he is only a couple of mouse clicks away from being able to confirm your claims or issue an authoritative rebuttal.

If you continue to make these claims without providing evidence I shall register at the site so that I can ask him, directly, if Corrales was handicapped in the matter which you claim him to have been.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 10:12 am

azania wrote:

Or is it irrelevant?

He was schooled from R1.

Maybe but this is not about Pacquiao.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 10:15 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

Or is it irrelevant?

There is an American site which I use a great deal for research, but never joined due to the time lag. This site boasts among its membership several ex pros, fight insiders, pro journalists, etc., etc., including at least one - initials ' R F ' - who was VERY close to the Corrales camp in the run up to the fight in question, since he was covering the fight for a publication. He was pretty much omni present during Corrales' preparations, and he is only a couple of mouse clicks away from being able to confirm your claims or issue an authoritative rebuttal.

If you continue to make these claims without providing evidence I shall register at the site so that I can ask him, directly, if Corrales was handicapped in the matter which you claim him to have been.

Read the link, it will back up everything I said. It is an interview with Corrales himself. But it would be interesting to see their views about it.

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/rises-falls-of-diego-corrales/content?oid=14761

Not a bad read.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 10:16 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
azania wrote:

Or is it irrelevant?

He was schooled from R1.

Maybe but this is not about Pacquiao.

It was an amazing display from Floyd. Have you seen so many accurate left hooks? Thoroughly schooled Diego (RIP). But Floyd's best win was against a peak Oscar, fought at Oscar's preferred and natural weight. Floyd came in lighter than Oscar as opposed to Pac who came in heavier than Oscar.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 04 May 2011, 10:19 am

Hardly a secret Corrales struggled with the weight. Thought most people had read Dark Trade?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 10:21 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Or is it irrelevant?

Read the link, it will back up everything I said. It is an interview with Corrales himself. But it would be interesting to see their views about it.

Not a bad read.

Fair enough, D4.

You have provided a source, so there hardly seems any point in my pursuing it. Whether or not Corrales is being honest is another matter - boxers often offer tenuous excuses - but, at least, you have settled the issue as to the origins of your claim.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 10:22 am

Great win.

Can't comment on the other stuff other than i fail to see what this has to do with Pac?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 04 May 2011, 10:23 am

King Beer wrote:Can't comment on the other stuff other than i fail to see what this has to do with Pac
Points made by D4 were genuine so people bring up Pac to try and score points.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 10:24 am

Scottrf wrote:
King Beer wrote:Can't comment on the other stuff other than i fail to see what this has to do with Pac

Oh right..... didn't realise we had a point system.

To be fair if Corrales can shift weight by eating only grapefruit then i'm gonna try it. My beer gut is worrying me.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 10:29 am

King Beer wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

To be fair if Corrales can shift weight by eating only grapefruit then i'm gonna try it. My beer gut is worrying me.

Am I winning? Yahoo

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 10:30 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
King Beer wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Am I winning? Yahoo

You're not doing too shabbily at all.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 10:33 am

King Beer wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I guarantee you that if you eat a grapefruit a day the weight will fly off. But I would not recommend it.

Maybe you can get a rubber suit? :spank:

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 10:33 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
King Beer wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I guarantee you that if you eat a grapefruit a day the weight will fly off. But I would not recommend it.

Some of us already have those.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 04 May 2011, 10:33 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
King Beer wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Am I winning? Yahoo

yes but the judging panel is from Germany, so it doesnt really matter.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 10:34 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
King Beer wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

HAHA!

I could try that. Will it work?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 10:34 am

Great win, defining win, some may say heroic.

Also the belt was not given to his stable mate, he fought for the vacant belt.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 10:37 am

AdZacO wrote:Great win, defining win, some may say heroic.

Wrong.

Floyd was the WBC champ, Diego was the IBF champ. Diego's belt was given up before the bout without Diego's permission or knowledge to Steve Forbes.

The belt on the line that night was Floyd's WBC title not a vacant belt.

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Wed 04 May 2011, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 04 May 2011, 10:38 am

The Pinoy chap is irrelevant to this thread. More relevant though is the claims made by Hatton before and after his fight with the aforementioned. Pre-fight Hatton and his trainer had claimed he'd had a good camp. Post-fight all sorts of excuses surfaced, including stories of a disrupted training camp.

It's relevant as an example of how boxers will offer different versions of events depending on the result of the fight.

Clear implication being that Corrales could well have been attempting to play down Mayweather's performance. I'm sure SOME on here are familiar with THAT premise, no?

I'll add to the above, that Corrales still fought at 130lbs after this fight, so how badly WAS he drained?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 04 May 2011, 10:40 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

I think you'll find that's a rubber ROOM, not a suit... Very Happy

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 10:41 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

I think you'll find that's a rubber ROOM, not a suit... Very Happy

I was hoping to keep that one under wraps.....................................

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 04 May 2011, 10:42 am

D4thincarnation wrote:

Wrong.

Floyd was the WBC champ, Diego was the IBF champ. Diego's belt was given up before the bout without Diego's permission or knowledge to Steve Forbes.

What does it really matter if Corrales still had the belt? He hadn't been beaten. It's not like a belt was stripped from someone else just to be put on the line undeservedly. That's much worse.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 04 May 2011, 10:44 am

I do seem to lean towards HunmanWindmill rebutal. Boxers usually don't like to admit defeat was there fault and do seem to exagerate situations to try and prove why they were off there game.

RIP Diego, real warrior. Can anyone remember what Joe Goosen said to him in the 10th after him spitting his gum sheild out again against Castillo?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 04 May 2011, 10:46 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I do seem to lean towards HunmanWindmill rebutal. Boxers usually don't like to admit defeat was there fault and do seem to exagerate situations to try and prove why they were off there game.

RIP Diego, real warrior. Can anyone remember what Joe Goosen said to him in the 10th after him spitting his gum sheild out again against Castillo?

something along the lines of "is this all about balls" or "you better f***ing get inside on him now" if memory serves. Whatever it was, I remember it being real 'Rocky' stuff.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 10:49 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I do seem to lean towards HunmanWindmill rebutal. Boxers usually don't like to admit defeat was there fault and do seem to exagerate situations to try and prove why they were off there game.

something along the lines of "is this all about balls" or "you better f***ing get inside on him now" if memory serves. Whatever it was, I remember it being real 'Rocky' stuff.

I believe that was Froch's wife.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 10:50 am

D4thincarnation wrote:

Wrong.

Hate people that use Boxrec to win an arguement but im stooping that low;

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=14432&cat=boxer

Steve Forbes faught for the vacant, not a title he had, as you cant just give some one a belt, unless the champion doesn't face him. He was stripped sure, but wasnt given to Forbes.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 10:51 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Think she said that in the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd, the 4th, the 5th, the 6th, the 7th, the 8th, the 9th, the 10th the 11th and the 12th round.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 04 May 2011, 10:52 am

Am of the thinking that fighters tend to trot out excuses after the fight, and if Chico was so badly drained then why did he fight Casa twice down at 130 some 2 years later from memory?

Truth is no camp ever goes according to plan, there will always be niggles and there'll be things going wrong.

Funny how you never hear the victor say he'd had issues making weight etc.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 10:53 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Think she said that in the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd, the 4th, the 5th, the 6th, the 7th, the 8th, the 9th, the 10th the 11th and the 12th round.

Haha !

And probably to the Vicar when they got married.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 04 May 2011, 10:55 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Really? I thought she said (screeched) "COME ON CARL, HE'S MISSING, HE'S MISSING EVERY F***ING TIIIME! COME ONNNN CAAARL!! F***ING GET 'IM CARL!! GET 'IM! GO ON CARL! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" (all in her godawful version of the scouse accent)

Or something like that. It was certainly very Wordsworth-esque like that..(!)

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 11:03 am

AdZacO wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Wrong.

Steve Forbes faught for the vacant, not a title he had, as you cant just give some one a belt, unless the champion doesn't face him. He was stripped sure, but wasnt given to Forbes.

Yes you are right.
Not sure why the writer of the article said that. Was Brown and Forbes under the same management.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 04 May 2011, 11:06 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Really? I thought she said (screeched) "COME ON CARL, HE'S MISSING, HE'S MISSING EVERY F***ING TIIIME! COME ONNNN CAAARL!! F***ING GET 'IM CARL!! GET 'IM! GO ON CARL! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" (all in her godawful version of the scouse accent)

Not going to lie. Her screaming turned me on. I pretended i was called Carl for most of the fight to make up for the clash of names.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 04 May 2011, 11:10 am

coxy0001 wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Not going to lie. Her screaming turned me on. I pretended i was called Carl for most of the fight to make up for the clash of names.

You too, coxy ?

Small world.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 04 May 2011, 11:13 am

That would make you Carl Cox.

Big up.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 04 May 2011, 11:18 am

ah...Rachel Cordingley. Bless.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 04 May 2011, 12:38 pm

Although Corrales maybe wasn't in the best of circumstances leading up to the fight i have to agree with most and say it was Mayweathers best win or one of the best, especially the manner in which he won. I rate Corrales highly and although he always fell short he was akward for anyone, a genuine world class fighter. I personally enjoy his fight with Castillio more than Gatti-Ward 1.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 8:29 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
AdZacO wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Wrong.

Not sure why you wrote it, also not sure if they had same management, all i know it was the IBFs number 1 rank Brown v the number 2 ranked forbes fighting for a vacan title.

Yes you are right.
Not sure why the writer of the article said that. Was Brown and Forbes under the same management.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 04 May 2011, 9:04 pm

Great win

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 9:09 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
AdZacO wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Wrong.

Yes you are right.

Not sure why you said it, but i have no idea if they were smae management all i know is it was the number one ranked, Brown, fight the number 2 ranked, forbes, for the vacant title.

But he dropped his belt fo a great fight.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 04 May 2011, 9:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Great win

Grapefruit a day, long runs in rubber suite, endless steam baths, shedding 10lbs of water in a day, watter logging the body.

Classic signs of serve dehydration cramps and leg cramps.

Yeah Corrales was in peak condition 🤦

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 04 May 2011, 9:12 pm

Terrific wonderful win.....like unbeaten hatton....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next