The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions wings?

+21
HQ matt
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Cyril
dragonbreath
TJ1
thebluesmancometh
SecretFly
Biltong
wales606
bedfordwelsh
wanderingdragon
BigTrevsbigmac
IanBru
The Saint
RubyGuby
The Great Aukster
Breadvan
majesticimperialman
Notch
bsando
t1000advancedprototype
25 posters

Go down

Lions wings?

Lions wings? Vote_lcap5%Lions wings? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]
Lions wings? Vote_lcap19%Lions wings? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 21 ]
Lions wings? Vote_lcap15%Lions wings? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 17 ]
Lions wings? Vote_lcap32%Lions wings? Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 35 ]
Lions wings? Vote_lcap14%Lions wings? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 16 ]
Lions wings? Vote_lcap10%Lions wings? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 11 ]
Lions wings? Vote_lcap5%Lions wings? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 111

Lions wings? Empty Lions wings?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 05 May 2013, 7:41 pm

Cuthbert and North are miles ahead so at least there will be 2 English starting against Australia!

Knowing how much Gatland loves North I can see it being between Bowe and Cuthbert for the right wing. Personally I would have Cuthbert ahead of North due to his lethal finishing.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Lions wings? Empty Re: Lions wings?

Post by bsando Sun 05 May 2013, 8:05 pm

Both North and Cuthbert played pretty poorly at the weekend. North in particular leaked a very easy Treviso try.

Meanwhile, Bowe looked fantastic and Maitland scored a peach of a try after coming off the bench. Its wide open if you ask me and if the Lions were to be playing tomorrow, I'd have 11. Bowe, Maitland 14.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 05 May 2013, 8:14 pm

bsando wrote:Both North and Cuthbert played pretty poorly at the weekend. North in particular leaked a very easy Treviso try.

Meanwhile, Bowe looked fantastic and Maitland scored a peach of a try after coming off the bench. Its wide open if you ask me and if the Lions were to be playing tomorrow, I'd have 11. Bowe, Maitland 14.

I think it's safe to say that club form is irrelevant come lions selection. Playing in a mediocre league alongside substandard players.

Roberts and Warburton are pants week in week out for the Blues but raise their game immensely for Wales.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 05 May 2013, 8:18 pm

I've gone for Bowe and Maitland just on the basis of current form. Could all change on tour, of course.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 05 May 2013, 8:38 pm

I think it is a no brainer really, North and Cuthbert will be the 2 wings who start the first test.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 05 May 2013, 8:42 pm

Cuthbert def but I don't think North is nailed on. Bowe or Maitland on t'other wing.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 05 May 2013, 8:43 pm

t1000advancedprototype wrote:
bsando wrote:Both North and Cuthbert played pretty poorly at the weekend. North in particular leaked a very easy Treviso try.

I think it's safe to say that club form is irrelevant come lions selection. Playing in a mediocre league alongside substandard players.

Roberts and Warburton are pants week in week out for the Blues but raise their game immensely for Wales.

I bet they both haven't reached double figures in appearances for the blues in 2 seasons....
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 05 May 2013, 8:50 pm

Agree 100%. Form - both club and Test has proven irrelevant to Lions selection. Gatland will pick his favourites when choosing the team too.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 05 May 2013, 8:54 pm

Cuthbert and Maitland for me at the moment thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 05 May 2013, 10:46 pm

Went for something different (Bowe and Maitland).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 05 May 2013, 11:22 pm

Yup, Bowe and Maitland for me as well - both the most natural footballers to make it on the plane. If Zebo had gone, it would have been between these three for me.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 06 May 2013, 7:00 am

The Great Aukster wrote:

Agree 100%. Form - both club and Test has proven irrelevant to Lions selection. Gatland will pick his favourites when choosing the team too.

I hope not. He should be picking those that perform on tour but I suspect you could be right given some of the squad picks.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Mon 06 May 2013, 7:14 am

I think this is the most competitive area in the squad and will be picked on form as they all have their strengths.

I would probably go for North and Bowe. Cuthbert is a good finisher but I wouldn't want Ioane running at him. North is quick, strong and has good hands - the hard ground should suit him. Bowe oozes class when on form. Maitland is more of an unknown and could be the token Scot (I nearly wrote kiwi then!) in the starting line up for the tests.

Are Hogg or Halfpenny being considered for the wings?

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 06 May 2013, 9:25 am

I don't know If Hogg is being considered but I expect Halfpenny will be looked at as an option, depending on their preference at XV.

As for the wings I went for Bowe and Cuthbert, I am not actually a big fan of Cuthbert as his defence is poor but he has a good strike rate and knows the way to the line.

If Bowe further proves his fitness before the tests then he his head and shoulders above the rest and the real class act and for me obvious choice.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 06 May 2013, 10:18 am

Cuthbert didn't play on the weekend!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 06 May 2013, 10:35 am

Who are the form wingers between North, Cuthbert, Bowe and Maitland?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 06 May 2013, 10:39 am

wales606 wrote:

Cuthbert didn't play on the weekend!

Doh it would seem I have miss interpreted something the welsh commentator said at start of match "wants to be up against Alex cuthbert, but cuthbert's not there" I interpreted this as cuthbert had failed to get back in defence. Probably the biggest error I've made on here, and i'll gladly suffer the consequences of being a silly ugger. forget anything I said above. Maitland did score a peach of a try though, you should check it out on Iplayer. Wink

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 06 May 2013, 11:09 am

Cuthbert more lethal than North ...when in the mood. Bowe, less manoeuvreable than North but seems to just have a knack of picking a spot and bowling ball himself through some pins to score.

Cuthbert/Bowe

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 06 May 2013, 11:28 am

Effectiveness dictates Cuthbert and Maitland, but class dictates Bowe and North...

I have no preference as I see all candidates as very handy, with 1/2p, Hogg and Kearney all able to play there too, so in this area we wont be let down IMHO!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 06 May 2013, 9:03 pm

Maitand has far more class than North. He is the most classy and rounded runner amongst the wings. Less power and less experience tho

However none of the possible candidates will let the lions down - this is an area of strength and to a great extent it will depend on tactics chosen who will be selected.

personally I would go for the two full back approach giving them license to counter-attack so Maitland or Cuthbert or North on one wing, 1/2 p on the other and Hogg at FB.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Mon 06 May 2013, 10:06 pm

TJ wrote:Maitand has far more class than North. He is the most classy and rounded runner amongst the wings. Less power and less experience tho

However none of the possible candidates will let the lions down - this is an area of strength and to a great extent it will depend on tactics chosen who will be selected.

personally I would go for the two full back approach giving them license to counter-attack so Maitland or Cuthbert or North on one wing, 1/2 p on the other and Hogg at FB.

Thanks for not letting me down. When I saw you had posted on this thread I thought to myself, I bet old TJ has Hogg on the wing, but no its Halfpenny on the Wing and Hogg at FB

Nothing if not consistant. I hope he appreciates your support thumbsup

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 06 May 2013, 10:21 pm

Maitland and Bowe would be good.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 07 May 2013, 10:03 pm

Dragon - no [point in having Hogg on the wing - he has never played there. 1/2p has plenty of experience on the wing.

Hogg and 1/2 are the best attacking / counter attacking players we have. Play them both! twice the fun!

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 May 2013, 3:50 am

dragonbreath wrote:
TJ wrote:Maitand has far more class than North. He is the most classy and rounded runner amongst the wings. Less power and less experience tho

Thanks for not letting me down. When I saw you had posted on this thread I thought to myself, I bet old TJ has Hogg on the wing, but no its Halfpenny on the Wing and Hogg at FB

Nothing if not consistant. I hope he appreciates your support thumbsup

TJ, you naughty boy, how dare you have an opinion, on of all places, a forum for ... opinions. Pls, have a serious word with yourself and reread your groupthink manual

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Wed 08 May 2013, 8:46 am

havent seen much of maitland and frankly his stay in the northern hemisphere has been so short i do not think he should be touring, regardless of how good he is.

Cuthbert is a great finisher but perhaps doesnt have the all round game of the others.. I would go north and bowe.

North is a special player and bowe has the all round game and the experience.

I just would have loved to see zebo or wade in the squad, i wonder who is on standby?

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 08 May 2013, 9:00 am

Ashton & Strettle aren't in the Lions touring party thumbsup

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 08 May 2013, 11:04 am

HQ matt wrote:havent seen much of maitland and frankly his stay in the northern hemisphere has been so short i do not think he should be touring, regardless of how good he is.

Cuthbert is a great finisher but perhaps doesnt have the all round game of the others.. I would go north and bowe.

North is a special player and bowe has the all round game and the experience.

I just would have loved to see zebo or wade in the squad, i wonder who is on standby?

Have to agree on all points here, Maitland is a very elusive runner, but isn't classy, Cuthbert is a one trick pony, it just happens that that trick is scoring tries and making linebreaks, North and Bowe are the real deals, but I too was really hoping to see Wade on the plane, he has been nothing but special this year in the AP and even when teams are trying to exploit his height he seems to come good!!

PS I don't see all the fuss re Zebo, he's a very very good club player at FB or wing, but one heel flick doesn't make you top class.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 08 May 2013, 11:08 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Ashton & Strettle aren't in the Lions touring party thumbsup

...but that little complication needn't get in the way of 5 votes Laugh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 08 May 2013, 11:08 am

Well doggone dammit. Are you sure? That's my vote wasted then.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 08 May 2013, 11:12 am

gregortree wrote:

I love the fact that according to the votes Ashton and Strettle have nearly the same chance as Cuthbert and North of making the test wing spots...

Shows what we know

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 08 May 2013, 11:19 am

It was a crazy poll as until we see how these guys go with unfamiliar centres etc we have no idea. I just thought crazy poll deserved a crazy answer.

Now for me North > Cuthbert.
Bowe has proven pedigree and if fit and on form stands a good chance of starting.
Maitland - well I have seen little of him - and what I saw of Scotland in the 6Ns (missed the Italy game) he did not make a huge impression on me.

So based on that I shoul dhave said North and Bowe - but really I want to wait and see.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 11:24 am

Going down a different route.

15. Halfpenny
14. Bowe
13. North
12. O'Driscoll
11. Maitland
10. Sexton

Would have Cuthbert and Hogg on the bench because they both prefer running when the game opens up a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 08 May 2013, 11:40 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
gregortree wrote:

I love the fact that according to the votes Ashton and Strettle have nearly the same chance as Cuthbert and North of making the test wing spots...

Shows what we know

Blueman, It shows mainly that we like to take the p!55 Laugh I voted for them anyway.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 08 May 2013, 11:41 am

IronMike wrote:Going down a different route.

15. Halfpenny
14. Bowe
13. North
12. O'Driscoll
11. Maitland
10. Sexton

Would have Cuthbert and Hogg on the bench because they both prefer running when the game opens up a bit.

hogg makes sense, but I'd swap Maitland for Cuthbert, Cuthbert is a huge strike runner, when the game opens his defencive nous might get exploited. maitland is far more elusive a runner than the powerhouse Cuthbert is, and has a better offloading and support game.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 08 May 2013, 11:46 am

gregortree wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
gregortree wrote:

Shows what we know

Blueman, It shows mainly that we like to take the p!55 Laugh I voted for them anyway.

You could also say that it shows how pointless and annoying these constant polls are....

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 08 May 2013, 12:19 pm

Maitland and Bowe for me, Maitland would be one of my first names on the starting line up.
One of the best wingers to have played super rugby over the last 5 years, in great form with Glasgow and played very well during the 6 nations.
Out of the 4 wingers he is the most all rounded, pace, power and a very high skill level and is very solid in defence.
For those who haven't seen much of him go on to youtube and look at his highlights clip from his time at the crusaders. Some amazing tries scored by him.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down