The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do You Beat Ward Then?

+19
AlexHuckerby
Marlonz
sittingringside
ONETWOFOREVER
manos de piedra
TheMackemMawler
All Time Great
Mr Bounce
azania
kingraf
mobilemaster8
no-mas
Cast a Shadow
jimdig
Seanusarrilius
milkyboy
ShahenshahG
Sugar Floyd Louis
davidemore
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Do You Beat Ward Then?  Empty How Do You Beat Ward Then?

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 2:00 pm

Many dismiss Froch's chances, and rightfully so when you consider how it went last time. But, at home, with his recent epic improvements, I give Frochy a shot, a big one.

So, how do you beat Ward?

Simply saying he's 'too good' isn't enough for me. ALL fighters can lose. So, if you fought the perfect fight to beat Andre Ward, what would you have to do to have you hands raised? heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

How Do You Beat Ward Then?  Empty Re: How Do You Beat Ward Then?

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 26 May 2013, 2:07 pm

Froch could try and impose himself but Ward's too slick. He would need to have an even faster start than he did against Kessler, but Ward would get into the fight quicker than Kess did and from then on it's one way traffic and boos ringing around the stadium (if it's in the U.K).

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 2:10 pm

Not if Froch lets his hands go and uses uppercuts and learns to be either stronger or more evasive on the inside. IMO.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 May 2013, 2:12 pm

Harry him, rush him and force him into corners, but don't let him tie you up. Dont throw wild punches and double up on the jab. Keep him on the back foot but don't stay too long on the inside otherwise he'll rattle you and wear you out when he clinches. In effect you have to punch accurately, punch frequently and get out before he lands his own. You have to do this for every minute of every round and you then have a chance to nick some rounds.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 26 May 2013, 2:14 pm

A right uppercut.

Well it nearly worked for Darnell Boone, many years ago.

I give a motivated dirrell, if such a thing exists, a chance by out speeding him. For froch to beat him, he'd have to come out of the blocks quickly, and try to knock him out of his stride, and hope he gasses. So, be a warrior, take him to the trenches, that sort of thing.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 May 2013, 2:15 pm

I dont think Froch has heard of trenches Milky, have you heard him mention them? Hes a smw Sweet Pea.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 26 May 2013, 2:17 pm

I think to beat Ward you need serious speed and a bit of snap in your punches. Dirrell would be the one who has the tools to beat Ward, but he has not got it upstairs. Froch can't beat Ward, IMO. Too slow.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 26 May 2013, 2:21 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I dont think Froch has heard of trenches Milky, have you heard him mention them? Hes a smw Sweet Pea.

My bad, it's amir ghengis khan who keeps mentioning throwback warfare, not sugar Carl froch.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 2:23 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:I think to beat Ward you need serious speed and a bit of snap in your punches. Dirrell would be the one who has the tools to beat Ward, but he has not got it upstairs. Froch can't beat Ward, IMO. Too slow.

Not even if he sticks him with a jab. Stick, stick, stick?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 26 May 2013, 2:26 pm

davidemore wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:I think to beat Ward you need serious speed and a bit of snap in your punches. Dirrell would be the one who has the tools to beat Ward, but he has not got it upstairs. Froch can't beat Ward, IMO. Too slow.

Not even if he sticks him with a jab. Stick, stick, stick?

Ward is a master of distance and timing. Also, he is fluid enough to make Froch miss and make him pay. Froch missed a hell of a lot of punches last night and doing that v Ward would cost him again

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 2:28 pm

Good points, but what if you hurt Ward? He hasn't been hurt in a while, if Froch can unload inside and keep him off him, he can hurt him, surely?

Ward is favourite for all reasons posted, but he us just a man.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 26 May 2013, 2:34 pm

Froch's only chance is that pure workrate might win it for him. He through over a 1000 against Kessler. If he gets his jab working like a piston. Doubling and tripling it, Keeps ward at range and throughs over 1000, he has a chance.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 26 May 2013, 2:36 pm

jimdig wrote:Froch's only chance is that pure workrate might win it for him. He through over a 1000 against Kessler. If he gets his jab working like a piston. Doubling and tripling it, Keeps ward at range and throughs over 1000, he has a chance.

He only managed to hit Kessler with about 1/4 of his punches tho. Ward is way more elusive than Kess, too.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 2:43 pm

Just under a 1000 but yes, good points.

He also needs to work the body and not pot shot for the head. I know Frochy has a great chin but if he can avoid being hit so much it could really lower Ward's confidence levels over 12 rounds.

Ward is a bugger to beat, Dirrell has the best style but is a mental case who upset Al Haymon and GBP so don't expect to see him soon. Any soon. Other than on some backwards channel at dill o'clock. Tragic waste of talent.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 26 May 2013, 2:43 pm

... Think Seanus is under-rating the ability of the Nottingham nicolino to put on a locche style defensive master class and school ward in the finer arts of pugilism.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 26 May 2013, 2:46 pm

Ha, I am Froch's biggest fan, but Ward is Ward

Froch v Kessler3 - why not
Froch v Groves next year - why not, Brits would go nuts for it
Froch v Bhop - nah
Froch v Ward - same outcome

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 26 May 2013, 3:23 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
jimdig wrote:Froch's only chance is that pure workrate might win it for him. He through over a 1000 against Kessler. If he gets his jab working like a piston. Doubling and tripling it, Keeps ward at range and throughs over 1000, he has a chance.

He only managed to hit Kessler with about 1/4 of his punches tho. Ward is way more elusive than Kess, too.
I agree Sean. The chances of froch winning are highly unlikely. I heard the compubox figures aswell. But don't they count arm shots shoulders etc, I.e anything not a clean hit, as a miss? I'm not actually sure on that. I just don't believe froch had 700 fresh air swings.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 26 May 2013, 3:30 pm

Does Froch have the power to knock Ward out, or at least drop and stop him?

Other than that, the only shot Froch would have would be in the Uk, preferably Nottingham. Come out firing in Steve Collins stylee, constant pressure and high intensity for the first 4 rounds - would be interesting to see if that knocked Ward out of his stride and off his gameplan.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 26 May 2013, 3:33 pm

Cast a Shadow wrote:Does Froch have the power to knock Ward out, or at least drop and stop him?

Other than that, the only shot Froch would have would be in the Uk, preferably Nottingham. Come out firing in Steve Collins stylee, constant pressure and high intensity for the first 4 rounds - would be interesting to see if that knocked Ward out of his stride and off his gameplan.

Agree. Best chance of winning would be to swarm Ward, but that is also his best chance of being stopped.

I think Froch should just wait until next year and go for a huge payday against Groves

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 26 May 2013, 3:40 pm

Groves would be an even bigger fight if he could get hold of the WBO title in the meantime. Froch could perhaps take a marking time voluntary defence if/when Stieglitz vs Groves were made, then take on the winner for the unified titles.

Maybe DeGale could be the voluntary defence? Is he still with Fat Mick? That could be an interesting selling point to a fight between the two...

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Sun 26 May 2013, 3:52 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Ha, I am Froch's biggest fan, but Ward is Ward

Froch v Bhop - nah

I know we havent spoken in a while Sean, but there is no need to give up the faith in Froch. No one had Douglas beating Tyson, Hatton against Kosta, Hopkins against Pavlik etc.

Someone mentioned before Ward has never been into an environment like there was at the O2, he hasnt had that mental aspect tested, all great fighters have, he hasnt done this yet. Also you mention that Froch only landed 1/4 punches against Kessler, thats not a bad thing, he threw nearly 1000 punches, even if they dont land its enough to keep someone off you and to break up there offense. Given the right frame of mind i think Carl can do it, doesnt a good jab slow down a speedster? look at Wlad Vs Haye, no doubt Haye is slicker and quicker but he couldnt get past the jab

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 26 May 2013, 3:53 pm

Froch gets stopped by Ward? Not in a million years

Rematch in Nottingham.....Froch will knock him out.

Ill be betting on it.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 26 May 2013, 4:00 pm

no-mas wrote:

Froch v Bhop - nah

I know we havent spoken in a while Sean, but there is no need to give up the faith in Froch. No one had Douglas beating Tyson, Hatton against Kosta, Hopkins against Pavlik etc.

Someone mentioned before Ward has never been into an environment like there was at the O2, he hasnt had that mental aspect tested, all great fighters have, he hasnt done this yet. Also you mention that Froch only landed 1/4 punches against Kessler, thats not a bad thing, he threw nearly 1000 punches, even if they dont land its enough to keep someone off you and to break up there offense. Given the right frame of mind i think Carl can do it, doesnt a good jab slow down a speedster? look at Wlad Vs Haye, no doubt Haye is slicker and quicker but he couldnt get past the jab

Hey mate, nice to hear from you.

Not so much giving up in Froch as I am recognizing Ward's vast skillset. I agree, in the UK this is a fight that might go Froch's way, but I am a betting man and as much as I love Froch, I would favour Ward. I mean, Ward did best him comfortably before, and Froch has added another war on his CV since

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 26 May 2013, 4:01 pm

I am interested to see how Ward would would do if Froch came to "survive", by that I mean make Ward make all the plays and then come at him. It wouldnt be a pretty fight, but the Dawson fight over sold Wards hitting ability, and I just wonder how he would do if he had to "strike first"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 4:06 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Froch gets stopped by Ward? Not in a million years

Rematch in Nottingham.....Froch will knock him out.

Ill be betting on it.

My man mobile. Yahoo

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Sun 26 May 2013, 4:07 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
no-mas wrote:

Froch v Bhop - nah

Not so much giving up in Froch as I am recognizing Ward's vast skillset. I agree, in the UK this is a fight that might go Froch's way, but I am a betting man and as much as I love Froch, I would favour Ward. I mean, Ward did best him comfortably before, and Froch has added another war on his CV since

boxing

Are you still in Canada? Hows it going? Im not disputing that it will be tough no matter where it is for Froch but giving his new way of starting fast to bank rounds, remember that he lost by 2 rounds on 2 scorecards, a fast start before Ward can settle could sway it as Ward tends to slow at the end and grab and headbutt and hold and wrestle. Also if it was in the UK could Ward mentally hold up to the occassion? if he is knackered and Froch is still in front of him with thousands screaming him forward can he cope with that. No one can say 100% yes as he hasnt been in that situation. I dont see anyones issue with Froch wanting Ward over here. If he can easily beat Froch, might as weel do it as its his best pay day and easy nights work apparently and will squash the stay in the USA tag he has.
other than that, nice to see you knocking about more kiss

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 4:08 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
no-mas wrote:

Froch v Bhop - nah

Be interesting to see how Ward does after a long recovery and lay off. The guy is a bit arrogant too, if Froch shelled up a bit it could mean that Ward had to chase and unload first, offering openings. thumbsup

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 4:10 pm

no-mas wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:
no-mas wrote:

Froch v Bhop - nah

boxing

Are you still in Canada? Hows it going? Im not disputing that it will be tough no matter where it is for Froch but giving his new way of starting fast to bank rounds, remember that he lost by 2 rounds on 2 scorecards, a fast start before Ward can settle could sway it as Ward tends to slow at the end and grab and headbutt and hold and wrestle. Also if it was in the UK could Ward mentally hold up to the occassion? if he is knackered and Froch is still in front of him with thousands screaming him forward can he cope with that. No one can say 100% yes as he hasnt been in that situation. I dont see anyones issue with Froch wanting Ward over here. If he can easily beat Froch, might as weel do it as its his best pay day and easy nights work apparently and will squash the stay in the USA tag he has.

Nut hugging quiter Erm

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Sun 26 May 2013, 4:13 pm

davidemore wrote: Nut hugging quiter Erm

Headscratch

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 4:18 pm

no-mas wrote:
davidemore wrote: Nut hugging quiter Erm

Headscratch

Lol, good to have you back mate.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 26 May 2013, 4:42 pm

A collins style fighter would get massacred by Ward. You need intelligent pressure and very fast hands. A Joe Calzaghe style is best suited to beat Ward. Punches from all angles and ridiculous work rate. Ward has a knack of making the opponent fight his type of fight and pace.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 26 May 2013, 5:12 pm

I think Martinez would (have?) give Ward problems. Very fast, very akward, keeps his hands down, but Ward isnt going to rock him anymore than JCC did. Ward likes to tie up, if Martinez gets a stringent ref, things get very interesting
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 26 May 2013, 5:16 pm

The way to beat Ward is to hope that he is disqualified by the ref for butting. Whistle

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 5:17 pm

JC would have beaten Ward.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 May 2013, 5:18 pm

Think Martinez gets hit a little too often to ave a chance against ward.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 26 May 2013, 5:32 pm

davidemore wrote:JC would have beaten Ward.

Emore, you know I love you like cooked food, but that is seriously slack. Have you been smoking again?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 5:34 pm

azania wrote:

Emore, you know I love you like cooked food, but that is seriously slack. Have you been smoking again?

JC would have won. Yahoo

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 5:34 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Think Martinez gets hit a little too often to ave a chance against ward.

And is tiny compared to him.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 26 May 2013, 5:35 pm

davidemore wrote:
azania wrote:

JC would have won. Yahoo

My bad. I thought you meant Chaves Jnr. Erm

Last edited by azania on Sun 26 May 2013, 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 5:40 pm

azania wrote:
davidemore wrote:
azania wrote:

JC would have won. Yahoo

My bad. I thought you means Chaves Jnr. Erm

laughing

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 26 May 2013, 5:49 pm

Ward has an incredible CV behind him, in modern terms. He's never really had any problems with any of them so it's a very difficult question at the moment.

It's good and well saying a high volume of punches may do it, but Ward is a great counter puncher so it could well be a painful night for the opposing boxer.

Remember, this guy has not lost a fight since he was 12 years old!

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 5:52 pm

He needs to leave his back garden, then we'll see.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 26 May 2013, 6:10 pm

Sometimes having one attribute better than opponent is enough for the win, for instance, Norton didn't do too well against punchers but was better than most at almost everything and throughout history we've seen the better boxer run out of steam and stamina clinch the victory.

One advantageous asset is often enough for the win - but in the case of Ward it's not.

He's a talented fighter. To beat him is simple you have to be "Harder Better Stronger Faster" (to quote Basement Jax) and also have a better boxing brain.

The guy's pretty much flawless; being better at a single quality is not enough.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 26 May 2013, 7:32 pm

Its difficult to say how Froch would go about beating Ward because Ward has shown so few weaknesses.

I dont think Froch holds many advantages over Ward but some areas he would are in power, durability and stamina. I think its a must for Froch to set as a high a pace as possible and try and make Ward work all the time. Even great fighters start making mistakes when they are pressured and start to tire. Froch has a strong finish so if he can get Ward to tire in the championship rounds he could drag him into more open exchanges where his superior toughness and maybe greater power could overcome Wards better accuracy and skills.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 26 May 2013, 7:38 pm

no-mas wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:
no-mas wrote:

Froch v Bhop - nah

boxing

Still here mate. Summer is upon us, more or less, so all is well. I like your faith in our boy and it would be interesting to see Ward out of his comfort zone. If Froch is going to fight Ward, then it should be next summer in England. Every day Froch gets older and every fight is a battle, so do it next or not at all IMO.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 26 May 2013, 7:39 pm

Froch isn't getting any younger. Sooner they fight the better for Froch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 26 May 2013, 7:50 pm

I arrived late to this thread but will wrap this up ight now.

How can Froch beat Ward???

Well 1 you need a boxing brain that Carl does not posses

Secondly Froch needs to understand footwork of his opponent. Ward dictated the pace in the last fight not with his punches but his movement. Ward is a come forward counter puncher. He faints in urging Froch to commit to an attack which backfires and Ward picks him off.

Should Froch work on engaging his brain if he has one then he might have more of a chance against Ward but if he thinks his normal gun ho tactics will topple Ward then he has another thing coming.

Ward may look stupid but he aint.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 26 May 2013, 7:52 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I arrived late to this thread but will wrap this up ight now.

How can Froch beat Ward???

Well 1 you need a boxing brain that Carl does not posses

Secondly Froch needs to understand footwork of his opponent. Ward dictated the pace in the last fight not with his punches but his movement. Ward is a come forward counter puncher. He faints in urging Froch to commit to an attack which backfires and Ward picks him off.

Should Froch work on engaging his brain if he has one then he might have more of a chance against Ward but if he thinks his normal gun ho tactics will topple Ward then he has another thing coming.

Ward may look stupid but he aint.

You just responded to a question not asked by the OP.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 9:11 pm

Virgil Hunter saying Froch didn't land the cleaner shots. Look at Kessler's face.

they must have been fairly clean.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Mon 27 May 2013, 10:21 am

The thing is about Ward, he's had almost everything his own way in his career so far, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts when he doesn't. I'd be fairly confident he would just perform as per, but you never know until it's happened.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next