The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do You Beat Ward Then?

+19
AlexHuckerby
Marlonz
sittingringside
ONETWOFOREVER
manos de piedra
TheMackemMawler
All Time Great
Mr Bounce
azania
kingraf
mobilemaster8
no-mas
Cast a Shadow
jimdig
Seanusarrilius
milkyboy
ShahenshahG
Sugar Floyd Louis
davidemore
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How Do You Beat Ward Then?  - Page 2 Empty How Do You Beat Ward Then?

Post by davidemore Sun 26 May 2013, 2:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Many dismiss Froch's chances, and rightfully so when you consider how it went last time. But, at home, with his recent epic improvements, I give Frochy a shot, a big one.

So, how do you beat Ward?

Simply saying he's 'too good' isn't enough for me. ALL fighters can lose. So, if you fought the perfect fight to beat Andre Ward, what would you have to do to have you hands raised? heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

How Do You Beat Ward Then?  - Page 2 Empty Re: How Do You Beat Ward Then?

Post by Marlonz Mon 27 May 2013, 2:44 pm

jimdig wrote:Froch's only chance is that pure workrate might win it for him. He through over a 1000 against Kessler. If he gets his jab working like a piston. Doubling and tripling it, Keeps ward at range and throughs over 1000, he has a chance.

I agree with that approach Jim. I think coming out like a bull in a china shop and taking the fight to Ward would be the wrong strategy as it'd inevitably result in Froch being tied up and manhandled on the inside just like he was in the first fight. Then, his energy levels are already starting to wilt.

But agree that the aim should be to use his reach advantage, keep that jab going constantly and develop a workrate off of that. Also, he has the ability to land hurtful shots from distance, but never gave himself the opportunity to try that out in the first fight. I felt he allowed Ward to close him down too easily, partly because I think Froch thought he was physically strong enough to match Ward and bully him back on the inside - big mistake! From then on, as well as being exhausted from the mauling, it's like the surprise and shock really got to him and he was'nt able to pull himself together to try another approach.

Even in the UK, I'd still lean towards Ward though. But I think Froch and McCraken should at least try the jabbing approach, with the view to trying to set up and shoot long, hurtful punches along the way. It's a huge task against Ward but I think that's their only hope.

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 27 May 2013, 2:59 pm

I wouldn’t try and match skills with Ward if I was Froch. I thought he was easily outjabbed by Ward in the first contest and I don’t think he has the jab to measure up with Ward who is excellent fighting outside range. If I were Froch I would look at the areas where he holds an advantage and try to put him in a position to make the count. Stamina, durability, workrate and power are areas he could hold an advantage over Ward. If there was a glimmer of hope for Froch in the first fight, it was that Ward did tire somewhat at the end. Thats where Froch could look to win the fight. To do that I think he would need to make Ward work constantly. He may not get the better of Ward fighting on the inside and he may take 3 to land one but if he keep that pace and make Ward fade down the stretch and get to him like he did Taylor. I would try to make Ward burn up as much fuel as possible in the first 6 rounds and then get to him in the second half of the fight. It might mean taking a lot of punishment but Froch has proven toughness and endurance so if he can soak up it early then Ward skills and strengths could count for less as the fight goes down the stretch.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 27 May 2013, 4:13 pm

sittingringside wrote:The thing is about Ward, he's had almost everything his own way in his career so far, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts when he doesn't. I'd be fairly confident he would just perform as per, but you never know until it's happened.

You mean by fighting in his living room and boring the hell out of us to victory? Yes, he has.

A true gift though. A boring gift with a dwindling fan base, and a man afraid to concede home turf, but a gift nonetheless.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 27 May 2013, 5:46 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I wouldn’t try and match skills with Ward if I was Froch. I thought he was easily outjabbed by Ward in the first contest and I don’t think he has the jab to measure up with Ward who is excellent fighting outside range. If I were Froch I would look at the areas where he holds an advantage and try to put him in a position to make the count. Stamina, durability, workrate and power are areas he could hold an advantage over Ward. If there was a glimmer of hope for Froch in the first fight, it was that Ward did tire somewhat at the end. Thats where Froch could look to win the fight. To do that I think he would need to make Ward work constantly. He may not get the better of Ward fighting on the inside and he may take 3 to land one but if he keep that pace and make Ward fade down the stretch and get to him like he did Taylor. I would try to make Ward burn up as much fuel as possible in the first 6 rounds and then get to him in the second half of the fight. It might mean taking a lot of punishment but Froch has proven toughness and endurance so if he can soak up it early then Ward skills and strengths could count for less as the fight goes down the stretch.

Yeah, I'd pretty much agree with that.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 27 May 2013, 5:49 pm

Work rate is sometimes overrated and often undone by missing.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 27 May 2013, 5:49 pm

as would be the case against Ward.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Mon 27 May 2013, 7:27 pm

Too many people hugging Frochs nuts after he beat a WASHED UP Kessler. Ward absolutely SCHOOLED Froch and would SCHOOL him again. That is why Froch is making excuses and will DUCK Ward.

Froch CANNOT beat Ward. Ward SCHOOLS Froch at range. Froch cant hit sheeeeettt with his jab. Ward outs jabs him EASY. Froch CANNOT outjab Ward. Ward is MUCH better at range. Lets talk about Frochs chances on the inside. HE AINT GOT ONE!! Ward BUSTS Froch up on the inside. Froch cant fight on the inside for sheeeeettt. Ward OWNS Froch there. Froch is INACCURATE. Ward is ELUSIVE. Froch is EASY to hit. Ward is ACCURATE.

Sorry Froch-huggers but your boy gets OWNED by Ward yet again no matter where he fights. Froch wont go to U.S again because he will get SCHOOLED again so best bud Hearn will price Froch out even though Ward is NUMBER 1. Smart move Eddie, your boy dont need another BEATING.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 27 May 2013, 7:38 pm

I wouldn't quite use the same language but I agree with YDKSAB just said. Flawed performance by Froch against MK, warrior like, but flawed. No chance against Ward.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Mon 27 May 2013, 7:54 pm

You KNOW it Mackem!! To many Froch huggers think washed up Kessler means sheeet when he aint NOTHIN on Ward. Eddie will sell Frochy on ppv tv with his two FAKE belts to the Froch huggers and DUCK Ward.

Ward pound for pound NUMBER 2, Mayweather pound for pound NUMBER 1.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 May 2013, 7:58 pm

"Washed up Kessler"..............Was the guy anything special to begin with???

froch is his only decent win..........and he's your typical stand up European fighter....

Kessler = Steve Collins.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 27 May 2013, 8:02 pm

By agreeing, I'm not aligning myself to your overzealous Froch bashing; I believe Froch is a credit to the sport and a very good fighter. Kessler too, even now, in his own right, is a brilliant fighter - technically correct down to the letter.

However..... Ward is better than both by a mile.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 27 May 2013, 10:09 pm

No ones 'by a mile' in boxing.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 May 2013, 10:13 pm

You only ever post on your own threads..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 27 May 2013, 10:16 pm

Not true.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 May 2013, 10:18 pm

You only wear womens clothes too..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 27 May 2013, 10:20 pm

Possibly true.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 May 2013, 10:22 pm

You fancy coming on a date?

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 27 May 2013, 10:24 pm

Call me.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Mon 27 May 2013, 10:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Washed up Kessler"..............Was the guy anything special to begin with???

froch is his only decent win..........and he's your typical stand up European fighter....

Kessler = Steve Collins.

Collins was a chump. Too many fans dont know sheeeett about baxing like Uncle Rog says. Guys like Collins Kessler and Froch defend with their face and people hug their warrior nutz but Mayweather and Ward school these kind of chumps for fun and get HATERS. When you the best people will hate.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 28 May 2013, 4:35 pm

Nobody's unbeatable and nobody has absolutely every angle known to man covered from threat. But as much as a Ward fanboy as it may make me sound, I really don't see anyone at 168 (or a division either side of there) who I'd fancy to beat him right now, or even have all that much of a chance.

I agree with Milky that a fight with Dirrell could potentially be interesting (contrary to popular belief, Dirrell at least has said that he definitely wants the fight in the future, regardless of the friendship which exists / existed between the pair). When you've got a guy who has been outspeeding all of his opponents, as Ward has, then you'd have to think that putting them in with someone who has just as much speed - and maybe even more of it - will give them something extra to think about it.

That said, while Dirrell has that speed and clearly is a fine physical specimen, I'm not really sold on his mindset yet, or his ability to really suck it up when the going gets seriously tough. I can see a fight between him and Ward going the way Mayweather-Judah did, with ability and ability alone having to give way to ability tched with supreme focus, confidence and intelligence.

Or, when someone has got as much speed as Ward has, the idea is often to take that sped and their legs away from them by going to the body. Froch doesn't really have much of a body attack, his knockout of Mack aside, and in any case Ward is an excellent inside fighter who isn't easily bullied when someone gets inside.

Between 160 and 175, Froch's engine, proven stamina (you can't give Ward time and space, that's for sure!) fairly heavy hands and toughness give him as good a chance as anyone of toppling Ward as anyone has, and I think he can perhaps improve on his showing in their first fight, but I'm struggling to see how he can pull the upset.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 May 2013, 4:41 pm

YDKSAB wrote:You KNOW it Mackem!! To many Froch huggers think washed up Kessler means sheeet when he aint NOTHIN on Ward. Eddie will sell Frochy on ppv tv with his two FAKE belts to the Froch huggers and DUCK Ward.

Are you American by any chance??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 5:08 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
YDKSAB wrote:You KNOW it Mackem!! To many Froch huggers think washed up Kessler means sheeet when he aint NOTHIN on Ward. Eddie will sell Frochy on ppv tv with his two FAKE belts to the Froch huggers and DUCK Ward.

Look how the guy writes, his command of the English language...he's clearly from Tottenham...the bell3nd!

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 May 2013, 5:19 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Look how the guy writes, his command of the English language...he's clearly from Tottenham...the bell3nd!

On the contrary, I think his prose reeks of the kind of dumbass Yank ret@rd that pollutes Youtube and ESB......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 5:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

On the contrary, I think his prose reeks of the kind of dumbass Yank ret@rd that pollutes Youtube and ESB......
Undoubtedly, however, it's clear this chump (however accuate his assessment of Froch/Ward II may be) is just a wannabe gangsta and would quite possibly benefit from dropping the act in favour of well reasoned, articulate prose.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 May 2013, 5:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Undoubtedly, however, it's clear this chump (however accuate his assessment of Froch/Ward II may be) is just a wannabe gangsta and would quite possibly benefit from dropping the act in favour of well reasoned, articulate prose.

In fairness, I don't think we're exactly helping, I doubt he knows what 'prose' is.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 5:31 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

In fairness, I don't think we're exactly helping, I doubt he knows what 'prose' is.......
Prose before Bros...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2