The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Trophy - England and Wales 2013

+30
msp83
JamesLincs
Good Golly I'm Olly
alfie
trebellbobaggins
Mike Selig
Duty281
subhranshu.kumar.5
Mad for Chelsea
ShahenshahG
shivfan
Hoggy_Bear
teassoc
ShankyCricket
Dolphin Ziggler
LivinginItaly
chrisss
JDizzle
Marcus
liverbnz
dyrewolfe
Take it to the house
Hibbz
dummy_half
Galted
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
kingraf
Biltong
Gerry SA
Shelsey93
34 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Champions Trophy - England and Wales 2013 - Page 9 Empty Champions Trophy - England and Wales 2013

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 8:53 am

First topic message reminder :

We have had a few prediction/ speculation type threads but this will be the discussion thread for matches in the Champions Trophy which starts this morning.

The first game is India v South Africa at the Swalec Stadium, Cardiff.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Champions Trophy - England and Wales 2013 - Page 9 Empty Re: Champions Trophy - England and Wales 2013

Post by GSC Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:26 pm

I think WIs could do some serious damage again.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Champions Trophy - England and Wales 2013 - Page 9 Empty Re: Champions Trophy - England and Wales 2013

Post by Mike Selig Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:26 pm

Very good effort from England. They've bossed the game apart from overs 35-45 of their innings.

Criticism of Hughes is harsh, given his ODI record (similar to Trott in fact), but he did look like spin was a real struggle for him... against Root and Tredwell, who are honest performers, but hardly world beaters.

Bailey looks like an honest performer at 4 or 5, and with Clarke due to come back that should strengthen things somewhat. Faulkner looks a good find also.

The issue is they are still playing like a side which expects to lose. There has been no attempt to wrestle the initiative, just sort of meek compliance with their fate. No intensity, so intent.

Marsh is a problem at 6. I think they have to find a way of getting Maxwell into the team.

Wonder whether Warner down to 4 may not be an option - he did well there in the IPL.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:Yeah they have bowled really well and justified not having Finn.

I still think the middle part of the batting got it wrong though and that needs addressing.

If we face SL in these conditions they will get a very high score.

Very Happy

Getting your reverse in early there trebs Very Happy

Jimmy finished with 3/30 ...good days work clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

Wow - Faulkner's still there on 34 - Aussie's 2nd highest scorer, no less. The Australian Bopara?

Great cameo and will at least make the result more respectable. Not quite such a comfortable win for England, but with only 1 wicket left, the end is surely nigh.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:30 pm

Well they're looking like seeing the innings through but not getting close to the score today.

Glad England have recovered from those awful odi starts against NZ.

Hopefully dernbache especially and woakes to an extent will be out of contention now.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:33 pm

Bumble says England are a method team who can only play one way. No instinct and he doesn't think they are good enough to win the big games.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:36 pm

Good 50 from Faulkner. Best Aussie batsmen today given the pressure he came in under.

Shame England couldn't finish the job. That's where Finn could have helped.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:39 pm

And thats that!!!!

Yahoo

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

alfie wrote:...and I trust those who were calling for Ashley Giles' head earlier today will have the good grace to admit he might know a bit more about the game than they assumed Smile
Well, England are winning this one comfortably in the end. If one result speaks everything for the coach, then Giles certainly is vindicated. But this has been a bizarre week, first Rohit Sharma playing 2 good knocks in 3 matches, and now this. But I think Steven Finn is a way better bowler than Tim Bresnan is. I don't think Ravi Bopara is the kind of bowler you can trust with 10 overs consistently. Who between Bresnan and Bopara to play is very much debatable, but dropping Finn didn't make sense then, it doesn't do now either in my book, and I absolutely believe England will realize it sooner rather than later.

Last edited by msp83 on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:44 pm

Easy enough for England who played to their plan. People may not like it, and it may be limited in the sense that if they come up against a Gayle, Watson, Guptil etc who has a big day then they'll struggle to counter it, but with England's resources it's surely the best plan available.

As alfie and others have pointed out, England simply don't (in the absence of a Pietersen) have a player who can play that role. Root may eventually be able to, but so far there is no evidence of that, and a pseudo-global tournament is not the right time to experiment with that. We've seen in the past that trying to have an aggressor at the top of the order for the sake of it doesn't work - you need a genuine quality player in that role.

Does it make for particularly exciting cricket? no. Does it work? most of the time, if the last couple of years are anything to go by, yes.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:45 pm

What the hell? Fifty for Faulkner?

Well done to him, but that should never have happened, given where Aus were.

Reasonably comfortable in the end, but another 5-10 overs could have made things a bit too interesting.

Still we got the result in the end and Aus presumably kept their net run rate decently high.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:45 pm

I should add I'm not 100% convinced by Giles as an international coach yet, but some of the criticism bordering on abuse he's received on here has been totally unwarranted. Calling him hopeless and a clown is just not on - he is a genuine quality coach, proven at county level, trying to make the step up. Give him a chance.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:45 pm

Faulkner did well. Bowled ok too.

Not many other Aussies happy with today.

Good team effort from England , and to be honest Australia never really mounted a serious challenge with the bat at any stage.

England bowling was pretty good across the board. Fears that Finn might be missed proved unfounded , though I suspect he may have a part to play at some point in this tournament.

Agree with Mike that Australia need to get Maxwell into the team. Wall to wall left arm pace isn't enough. But their batting just looks to depend too much on Watson, and I think they may continue to struggle.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:52 pm

Comfortable for England in the end. Exemplary bowling display. clap

I think we can go all the way, our bowling will sizzle in our own conditions. Our batting should be decent enough as well to complement it. Yep, we're going all the way...4 games from glory.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:53 pm

Bell as man of the match. Reasonable choice...could have gone to several players really , but he scored the only "big" innings of the game and probably the logical choice.

I'd have given some thought to Cook , for his very astute captaincy , but I guess he wasn't put under much pressure , and his bowlers did the job very well for him. I give him a big tick though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:57 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Easy enough for England who played to their plan. People may not like it, and it may be limited in the sense that if they come up against a Gayle, Watson, Guptil etc who has a big day then they'll struggle to counter it, but with England's resources it's surely the best plan available.

As alfie and others have pointed out, England simply don't (in the absence of a Pietersen) have a player who can play that role. Root may eventually be able to, but so far there is no evidence of that, and a pseudo-global tournament is not the right time to experiment with that. We've seen in the past that trying to have an aggressor at the top of the order for the sake of it doesn't work - you need a genuine quality player in that role.

Does it make for particularly exciting cricket? no. Does it work? most of the time, if the last couple of years are anything to go by, yes.
Well, I believe its a bit of a misconception to suggest that the go-slow and leave everything to Morgan and the lower middle order in the last 15 approach has helped England for the last couple of years. For a start, in the UAE, when they blanked Pakistan, Pietersen opened with Cook, who himself showed terrific intent right from the start. Cook consistently provided them positive starts throughout 2011, having brought about the much needed intent to his batting. Even when they lost against India in 2011, Cook played a very positive brand of cricket. Even against South Africa, Bell often tried to play positively, and so did Cook, but with less success admittedly. In fact Kevin Pietersen was moved up the order during the 2011 world cup with a view to showing greater intent.
Cook's lack of big scores, and the absence of Pietersen isn't helping England in recent times, but the lack of intent from Trott and Bell is a more serious concern. For me, the natural game theory doesn't hold much water. Perhaps Giles should study Rahul Dravid's ODI career a bit closely.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:12 pm

I certainly think England can look at being more flexible with their lineup. Maybe Root ahead of Trott.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm

The lowest Trott can bat is 3. Batting him at 4 or after, with the kind of approach he adopts, will be a cricketing disaster.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:33 pm

England (and Giles) bailed out by their world class bowling line up again. The batting still isn't up to scratch. We were lucky to be up against a 3rd rate Australia team.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:42 pm

msp83 wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:Easy enough for England who played to their plan. People may not like it, and it may be limited in the sense that if they come up against a Gayle, Watson, Guptil etc who has a big day then they'll struggle to counter it, but with England's resources it's surely the best plan available.

Well, I believe its a bit of a misconception to suggest that the go-slow and leave everything to Morgan and the lower middle order in the last 15 approach has helped England for the last couple of years. For a start, in the UAE, when they blanked Pakistan, Pietersen opened with Cook, who himself showed terrific intent right from the start. Cook consistently provided them positive starts throughout 2011, having brought about the much needed intent to his batting. Even when they lost against India in 2011, Cook played a very positive brand of cricket. Even against South Africa, Bell often tried to play positively, and so did Cook, but with less success admittedly. In fact Kevin Pietersen was moved up the order during the 2011 world cup with a view to showing greater intent.
Cook's lack of big scores, and the absence of Pietersen isn't helping England in recent times, but the lack of intent from Trott and Bell is a more serious concern. For me, the natural game theory doesn't hold much water. Perhaps Giles should study Rahul Dravid's ODI career a bit closely.

You're being disingenuous when describing England's tactics. It is not "go-slow and leave everything to Morgan", and you know it. Labeling it as such cheapens your argument. Even when Pietersen was opening, the onus was not on smashing it around at the start, but having your best players in the top 3 so one of them batted through the innings.

Dravid had a career strike-rate of 71, and apart from one year (2007) never got into the 80s. 2004-2006 his SR was 73-74. Bell's SR since 2011 has never dipped below 77, and had a similar high to Dravid in 2012. An interesting comparison indeed. Trott is more variable - his seasons have been either in the 60s (which is very poor) or high 70s/low 80s.

Bell was positive today TBH. He played out a few too many dot-balls possibly, but played with a fair amount of intent.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

I think today showed the need for those 3 batsmen at the top of the order. Despite our middle order not showing up bar one guy, we were still able to get a very defendable total, due to those guys giving us a base. Root, Morgan and Buttler will more often than not get more runs than they did today.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:47 pm

And I'd agree with msp on Finn. Bresnan played well, but I'd much rather see Finn in the side, he's ranked 3rd in the ODI rankings for a reason
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:51 pm

Surely a team should always play to it's strengths?

Given that England are well aware their strength lies in their bowling the best policy is to guarantee making 250+ which they can defend rather than go for 300+ and risk getting sub 200.

Some of the criticism of Trott in particular really pains me. A man averaging 50 with a decent strike rate is held up for criticism because his strike rate doesn't stack up against the current very best in the world.

A great opening win for England.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:08 pm

Marcus wrote:England (and Giles) bailed out by their world class bowling line up again. The batting still isn't up to scratch. We were lucky to be up against a 3rd rate Australia team.

That is silly. England's gameplan makes sense precisely because they have a world class bowling line-up - if they didn't then of course it would be ridiculous to say "right we're going to aim for 280 and back our bowlers to defend that". As both 6 fingered tractor boy and Hibbz have pointed out (and alfie said before them) even if it goes wrong (as it did partly today) you end up with a defendable score. As opposed to going too hard and giving your bowlers nothing.

With England's resources at the moment, I think they are playing the percentages well by playing as they are. If there was a batsman around capable of playing a Watson/KP/Gayle type role, then by all means change it up, but until then...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:50 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
msp83 wrote:

You're being disingenuous when describing England's tactics. It is not "go-slow and leave everything to Morgan", and you know it. Labeling it as such cheapens your argument. Even when Pietersen was opening, the onus was not on smashing it around at the start, but having your best players in the top 3 so one of them batted through the innings.

Dravid had a career strike-rate of 71, and apart from one year (2007) never got into the 80s. 2004-2006 his SR was 73-74. Bell's SR since 2011 has never dipped below 77, and had a similar high to Dravid in 2012. An interesting comparison indeed. Trott is more variable - his seasons have been either in the 60s (which is very poor) or high 70s/low 80s.

Bell was positive today TBH. He played out a few too many dot-balls possibly, but played with a fair amount of intent.
Well, a number of defenders of the England plans were suggesting that all that happened today was a failure on the part of Morgan and Buttler to do the job of changing the innings tempo of 4.5 at 35 to 10+ in the last 15 and get them passed 300. I strongly believe that its a ridiculous plan, and I think Trott and to a lesser extent Bell can't be excused in the name of the natural game theory. Again, if you go back to the South Africa India game, India lost their first wicket in the 22nd over, and they had 127 on the board by that time, scoring at almost 6 an over. Nobody is saying England should just smash it around from ball one, the Jayasuriya style won't fit in with the new regulations that much. But a busy positive approach, a more proactive one than what the England top order is following is all that is demanded. This is particularly so as they don't often bat well into the innings, more often than not, they are 3 down by the 35th over, and that's on a good day.
And I talked about Dravid, not so much in the context of his strike rate as such, but in terms of the adaptability. He batted at 3, then later took up the gloves when the team needed him to do so to maintain a better balance, took up the role of the finisher at 5, and won matches for India. Perhaps when you talk about the strike rates, you would do well to remember he ones scored a 22 ball 50, coming in as the finisher. He did bring in the adaptability to his game when playing both tests and ODIS, and when he had become the team's 2nd most important batsman in tests.
I can partly agree with the lack of high impact player at the top when Pietersen is unavailable argument, but that is no reason for the others not to show greater intensity when they bat. Scoring 185-190 in 35 overs is quite alright, but not so if its 160 or 170, particularly if the scorers in chiefs take up most of those overs and then get out.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:57 pm

The main reason India got to 127 in the 22nd over, and England didn't was that South Africa bowled mainly rubbish, and Australia bowled mainly well. Nothing to do with intent in that case. Dhawan apart from 2 times when he came down the pitch just put a series of long hops away. Ditto Sharma (one heave where he got nowhere near the ball notwithstanding). Both Bell and Trott attacked the bowlers every bit as much.

Bell has adapted (you don't seem to like him which is fine). And the stats suggest as well as Dravid did.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:18 pm

England might run into trouble against a powerful batting lineup with their gameplan, but you can't complain about the platform Bell and Trott provided in this game.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:49 pm

The reason we didn't make 300 today was not because our plan is wrong; rather because we failed to executive it perfectly: Morgan and Buttler (the two key men in the crucial last 15) both failed. Had either one of them batted through the last 10 we would have made upwards of 300... That we managed to still get to 269 shows the strength of the wickets in hand part of the plan. If the hitters fail you still have something to defend.

Very poor from Australia - as I suspected they were a bit timid, perhaps with thoughts of the warm-up game at the back of their minds.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:34 pm

Cook did say today that we should have scored more runs to be fair to him

Good sign that even when we don't fire on all cylinders with the bat, we still get a respectable total...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:35 pm

msp83 wrote:England finish with 269. Good effort from Bopara that took them thus far, after that collapse. 269 is a lot of runs, and it won't be easy for a struggling batting lineup with Michael Clarke. But if Watson and Warner get going, it won't be much of a chase. But the larger point is that England's game plan is a poor one. I do get the argument about the 2 new balls and the need to keep wickets and the chance to go big in the last 15 and all that. Mahendra Singh Dhoni, the Indian captain did mention that its important to keep wickets in the first few overs and then go for the big ones at the end. Yet, if you take a look at things, even in the last match, the 2 Indian openers, Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma scored 53 in the first 10 overs. Rohit, on his day, can hit it big against any bowler. Dhawan showed he has the ability to quickly move through the gears and bat long. Virat Kohli, their number 3 is capable of scoring 50 of 70, and then turn it to 110 of 100. They have Dhoni, one of the best ever ODI players in the world, the likes of Jadeja, Karthik and Raina are all capable of adapting their games to the match situation.
England on the other hand, often fail to go pass 40 in the first 10, their openers often find it difficult to consistently build the tempo of the innings while batting long, their number 3 can't shift gears and he usually bat too long in the same gear. In the rest of the lineup, only Eoin Morgan has a real fast pace game and the benefit of experience. Jos Buttler has potential, but up to now he has not been able to find consistency at this level. Root can adapt his game to the match situation, but he's not the one to go at 10 an over himself though he can help someone else at the other end do that.
So, the top order has to bat at a better pace. No need to go 7 an over, but 4.5 to 5 in the first 10, and a rate above 5 thereafter is a must. If they get in, they have to not only bat long, but also keep the tempo building through their innings. Its absolutely stupid to expect that your 5 and 6 will be able to score at a strike rate of 300 every day and get those big totals. They might do it now and then, but you have to be a total clown to make your plans based on such expectations.
When England under Flower tried opening with KP, the intent to try and do something proactive was there. Cook's remodeling of himself as an ODI batsman showed the same intent. But now they have gone back to plans that never worked, and plans that are nothing like plans, although some individual brilliance can at times make it look like a half-sensible idea.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Is this really you, msp? I mean, really? Or have you been hacked? Wink

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:36 pm

msp83 wrote:
alfie wrote:...and I trust those who were calling for Ashley Giles' head earlier today will have the good grace to admit he might know a bit more about the game than they assumed Smile
Well, England are winning this one comfortably in the end. If one result speaks everything for the coach, then Giles certainly is vindicated. But this has been a bizarre week, first Rohit Sharma playing 2 good knocks in 3 matches, and now this. But I think Steven Finn is a way better bowler than Tim Bresnan is. I don't think Ravi Bopara is the kind of bowler you can trust with 10 overs consistently. Who between Bresnan and Bopara to play is very much debatable, but dropping Finn didn't make sense then, it doesn't do now either in my book, and I absolutely believe England will realize it sooner rather than later.
2 good knocks? One was against SA, which was the other? Erm

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:37 pm

This game showed the strength of England's bowling attack. Even without Finn and Swann, they were far too good for Australia.

I'm not sure that England should be that worried by not scoring 300+. They could have done with better performances by Root, Morgan and Butler, but hopefully they will have learnt from this. Another day and those three will do better, I'm sure.

Well done to Bell, but it seemed rather painful at times.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:24 am

Mike Selig wrote:The main reason India got to 127 in the 22nd over, and England didn't was that South Africa bowled mainly rubbish, and Australia bowled mainly well. Nothing to do with intent in that case. Dhawan apart from 2 times when he came down the pitch just put a series of long hops away. Ditto Sharma (one heave where he got nowhere near the ball notwithstanding). Both Bell and Trott attacked the bowlers every bit as much.

Bell has adapted (you don't seem to like him which is fine). And the stats suggest as well as Dravid did.
Australia's attack was 3 dobbers on a flat road(McKay, Marsh, Faulkner)

Any side with attacking batsmen would've punished them on the flat road in Birmingham.

England's top 3 aren't dynamic.

Relying on Buttler to slog wildly is a method to fail.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:57 am

Gerry SA wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:The main reason India got to 127 in the 22nd over, and England didn't was that South Africa bowled mainly rubbish, and Australia bowled mainly well. Nothing to do with intent in that case. Dhawan apart from 2 times when he came down the pitch just put a series of long hops away. Ditto Sharma (one heave where he got nowhere near the ball notwithstanding). Both Bell and Trott attacked the bowlers every bit as much.

Any side with attacking batsmen would've punished them on the flat road in Birmingham.

Is scoring over 5 an over (as was the case when Trott was out) really that bad.
Most teams would expect to accelerate in the last 10/15 overs, especially if they had wickets in hand. England's top order were scoring at a rate that would have got use 250-260. If we'd accelerated as much as we should have if Morgan and/or Buttler had not got out, 300 was certainly on the cards.
As it was, those players failed. It wasn't, however, the top order's fault that we didn't reach 300+. They did their part. The failure, if such it was, was the failure to accelerate over the last 10/15 overs,

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:43 am

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Most teams would expect to accelerate in the last 10/15 overs, especially if they had wickets in hand. England's top order were scoring at a rate that would have got use 250-260. If we'd accelerated as much as we should have if Morgan and/or Buttler had not got out, 300 was certainly on the cards.
As it was, those players failed. It wasn't, however, the top order's fault that we didn't reach 300+. They did their part. The failure, if such it was, was the failure to accelerate over the last 10/15 overs,
Australia had Adam Voges bowling his 'spin'. A more dynamic batsman would've pummelled him, it would've put even more pressure on Starc(Australia's best death bowler went for 75 anyway), McKay and Faulkner.

Bell scoring 91 off 120 odd balls didn't reflect the pitch, which was easy for batting.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 7:41 am

Good win in the end..

Great display by the bolwers. But we need that balance in the top 3 to win this and beat india and SA.. well unless our bowlers just crack on the way in fairness they could!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:13 am

NZ v SL today.
NZ aren't sure of Daniel Vettori's availability as yet. But if he plays, I think he should come in for James Franklin. Franklin doesn't add more value with the bat than Vettori does, and he's a far less bowler than Dan. Besides, Nathan McCullum has had a good time in England so far. Southee, Mills and McClenaghan can offer good pace options, and if they need a bit of medium, then Elliot or Munro can come in.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:09 am

Gerry SA wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Australia had Adam Voges bowling his 'spin'. A more dynamic batsman would've pummelled him, it would've put even more pressure on Starc(Australia's best death bowler went for 75 anyway), McKay and Faulkner.

Bell scoring 91 off 120 odd balls didn't reflect the pitch, which was easy for batting.

Maybe the fact that both teams struggled to up the rate means that the pitch wasn't quite as god for batting as has been assumed?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:13 am

Great stuff from the Kiwis so far! Sri Lanka can't handle the moving ball and now the spin!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:56 am

Like i said NZ are the team to look out for in this tournament. Called it in April.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:56 am

Daniel Vettori has indeed returned, and he struck in his first over. Really glad to see Dan back in action. What a fabulous cricketer he has been for NZ.
NZ, in my view, are rightly going in with both Vettori and Nathan McCullum. They've preferred Franklin over Munro or Elliott, who had some injury concerns prior to the game.
Sri Lanka really struggling at 58-4 after 17. Sangakkara and skipper Angelo Mathews at the crease.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by shivfan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:01 pm

Mike Selig wrote:I have to say, Johnson Charles is one of the worse international batsmen I have ever seen, and I include guys who play for France in that. As far as I can make out, his method is to play by numbers, swing his bat in a vague arc and hope it hits the middle. He misses as many as he hits, and eventually hits one straight up to be caught, dropped or land safely by some fluke.

It actually makes me angry to see someone quite so poor playing at this level.
Just think how angry a lot of us WIndies fans feel....
furious
shivfan
shivfan

http://www.cricket-match-special.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:02 pm

NZ always make semis and run out of steam.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:04 pm

What a good start by NZ..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:07 pm

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:16 pm

Sri Lanka are 70-5 after 22. McClenaghan picked up his 2nd to send Angelo packing. Thirimanne with Sanga to try and make something out of this innings. NZ all over SL at the moment.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

SL are 94-6 in the 28th over. Southee has just put down a return catch from Perera. Thirimanne the last out, runout 2 balls after he was dropped by wicketkeeper Ronchi of Williamson. Now a misfield as well. NZ are in a very good position as of now, but Perera is a very capable and dangerous bat, and Sangakkara is just 1 short of his 50.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

50 for Kumar Sangakkara.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

Review, Perera given out LBW of Nathan McCullum and Thisara has called for the review. Inside edge there, and Perera is safe.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

The last couple of results have shown us that England are probally not on the level((as poor) we assumed..

Nz do have a good attack and have clearly gained a lot of confidence..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next