The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

+39
Toohey
Cyril
offload
GloriousEmpire
tooboredtowork
lostinwales
ChequeredJersey
stevetynant
Rugby Fan
madmaccas
robbo277
Allty
Ozzy3213
Glas a du
Ulster12
wanderingdragon
theslosty
nathan
sensisball
maestegmafia
littlejohn
wales606
t1000advancedprototype
RDW
bedfordwelsh
BigTrevsbigmac
Redrage
George Carlin
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
tigertattie
doctor_grey
Notch
valtrepkos
RDSguru
BamBam
IanBru
GLove39
43 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! Empty Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by GLove39 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:38 pm

Right team announced for Tuesdays game...

15. Maitland
14. Cuthbert
13.BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Hogg
9. Murray

1. Corbisiero
2. Hibbard
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Evans
6. O'Brien
7. Tipuric
8. Heaslip

Bench

Best, Grant, Stevens, AW Jones, Faletau, Phillips, Davies, Halfpenny

Big call putting Hogg at 10, apart from a half against Connacht don't think I've ever seen him play there, plus he was knackered after today's game. Also looking at the team he'll be goal kicking I take it. Lots of pressure on his shoulders. Lets hope he responds well.

Great to see Grant on the bench, it'll be very fitting when he comes off the bench, making his Lions debut at the same stadium he made his Scotland one.

Last edited by GLove39 on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! Empty Re: Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by IanBru Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:44 pm

Holy Shiznay.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! Empty Re: Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by BamBam Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:47 pm

Are this combined team the whipping boys of the tour? If they are any good then we might have an issue in the backs, has Maitland played much full back? Pack looks very strong though, Phillips will need to be controlling the game to help out young Hogg

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm

IanBru wrote:Holy Shiznay.

Indeed, starting at fly half for the first time, goal kicking & looking after Bil. Lot of responsibilities for Hogg!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:55 pm

BamBam wrote:Are this combined team the whipping boys of the tour? If they are any good then we might have an issue in the backs, has Maitland played much full back? Pack looks very strong though, Phillips will need to be controlling the game to help out young Hogg

Murray is starting, Phillips on bench.. lots of pressure on Phillips to help Hogg out from the bench!

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by valtrepkos Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:00 am

I hope sextons hamstring is ok and this is not a forced decision!

valtrepkos

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:03 am

Neither outhalf in the matchday squad
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:05 am

Mind you, this team are going to be the whipping boys of the tour as someone pointed out above.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:07 am

Notch wrote:Neither outhalf in the matchday squad
So if Hogg gets hurt who goes in at 10? Jenks?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:12 am

doctor_grey wrote:
Notch wrote:Neither outhalf in the matchday squad
So if Hogg gets hurt who goes in at 10? Jenks?

Halfpenny could slot in it 10 if that happens

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:39 am

For clarification, mainland has played 15. He will slot in fine.

Hogg at 10 though smacks of desperation from gatland. Hogg will be pooped. Only having two 10's could hurt the lions tour.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:23 am

RDSguru wrote:
BamBam wrote:Are this combined team the whipping boys of the tour? If they are any good then we might have an issue in the backs, has Maitland played much full back? Pack looks very strong though, Phillips will need to be controlling the game to help out young Hogg

Murray is starting, Phillips on bench.. lots of pressure on Phillips to help Hogg out from the bench!

Doh, I clearly can't read. Same applies to Murray though, he is a relatively experienced international 9 compared to Hogg at 10 so want to see him taking responsibility

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:25 am

Did not see this coming!

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:28 am

hard to believe Hogg is still just a youngster.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:36 am

BamBam wrote:
RDSguru wrote:

Doh, I clearly can't read. Same applies to Murray though, he is a relatively experienced international 9 compared to Hogg at 10 so want to see him taking responsibility

Agreed to an extent, but really would like to see Hogg do what he can do and control the game somewhat....

Wierd experiment this by Gatland

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:41 am

Don't worry lads. I heard Howley say that the "magic" of the Lions jersey will help Hogg be a good 10.

Now I've never heard a coach cite magic as a reason to be confident before, but I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:59 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:Don't worry lads. I heard Howley say that the "magic" of the Lions jersey will help Hogg be a good 10.

Now I've never heard a coach cite magic as a reason to be confident before, but I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

Welsh Wizardry at it's best

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Jun 2013, 6:07 am

Mentioned this on LondonTiger's thread but yes, these guys should be the traditional wedgie fodder for us. Only 10 of the Australian regional squad of 23 have actually played Super rugby - the rest being local club players:

Rikki Abraham (Qld Country) Prop
Dale Ah-Wong (Qld Country) Wing
Phoenix Battye (Force) Lock
Jarrad Butler (Reds) Backrow
Lewie Catt (NSW Country) Centre
Tom Cox (Brumbies) Wing
Tim Davidson (Rebels) Backrow
Trent Dyer (Rebels) Backrow
Blake Enever (Reds) Lock
Dylan Evans (NSW Country) Prop
Alex Gibbon (Southern Districts) Centre/Wing
Ben Greentree (NSW Country) Centre
Haydn Hirsimaki (Qld Country) Prop
Tom Kearney (Qld Country) Hooker
Josh Mann-Rae (Brumbies) Hooker
Adam McCormack (NSW Country) Halfback
Tim Metcher (Southern Districts) Prop
Angus Roberts (Rebels) Fly half/Full back
Beau Robinson (Reds) Backrow
Tereta-Junior Siakisini (Qld Country) Centre
Michael Snowden (Force) Halfback
Richard Stanford (Eastern Suburbs) Lock
Nathan Trist (Sydney Uni) Full back/Wing

Maitland played about a third of his games for the Crusaders at 15 incidentally, so that's no biggie at all.

Wonderful experience for Hoggy. As a Glasgow fan, I can only comment on what I know which is that (a) Hogg's kicking out of hand is good and accurate, (b) his goalkicking is good - he's already more consistent than Peter Horne or Rhubarb Jackson, (c) he plays heads up football and is very confident (hopefully he'll be able to calm down knowing that nothing will be as bad as the kick throughs he had to deal with against the Reds).

Feic it, let's see how he does. He has experience to his left and his right and that pack (which looks really excellent) should give him an armchair ride.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 09 Jun 2013, 7:51 am

I really like the look of this back row. A formidable combination if they remember to do the grunt work at the breakdown too.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:16 am

Like the look of this pack. Should be far too strong for CC side.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:48 am

Hogg was always going to get a start sometime at 10 but interesting to see no automatic bench cover for 10, Halfpenny to get a run out there to maybe?

Evans needs a huge game on tuesday, have shouted his corner for long while now but he was very very quiet in last outing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:25 am

Jeez no pressure Hogg - first ever game at 10 really and his 3rd game ever as first choice goal kicker!

Saying that I am absolutely delighted for him - he's going to have such a wonderful experience on this tour and has very experienced players round him - even just playing a game with BoD will be the chance of a lifetime for him.

Interesting that Gray has been picked - does this suggest Gatland doesn't view him as first choice or am I looking too much into it? Everyone on here generally has him pencilled in for the 4 shirt....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:35 am

No need to worry

Tipuric will move to 10 if Hogg has a shocker.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:36 am

Also still no Rob Kearny - bearing in mind there's only 2 games left until the first test is there much point in him playing now? Don't get me wrong I think he's an incredible player but 1/2P needs to start on Saturday then that would only leave Tuesday...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:42 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Also still no Rob Kearny - bearing in mind there's only 2 games left until the first test is there much point in him playing now? Don't get me wrong I think he's an incredible player but 1/2P needs to start on Saturday then that would only leave Tuesday...

Kearney will be fit for Saturday apparently
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:04 am

If he's not fit even for bench duty come Saturday then surely they must look for a replacement. You can't carry someone all tour can you?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:05 am

t1000advancedprototype wrote:No need to worry

Tipuric will move to 10 if Hogg has a shocker.
Fact. Tipuric can cover all backline and forward positions simultaneously. If fact, I consider us even having another 14 players as something of an unnecessary indulgence.

How strange that Gats is happy to bring in another wing as cover but does not feel the need to do the same with the 10 shirt. Clearly he always had Hogg pencilled in for this one to give Sexton and Farrell a break. What is slightly diconcerting is that Wilko has just had a groin operation and may well not even be available as injury cover any more.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:08 am

As an aside, boggles my mind that the Torygraph's lead in to their preview of this game was not the fact that the Lions playmaker was a 20 year old who last assumed that position at school but rather that Corbs was starting at 1. Just the important point, I guess.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:08 am

George,

If Sexton or Farrell got injured then I am sure another 10 or someone more use to playing there would be called in as cover.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:24 am

Sexton has a hamstring issue

Gatland has said it is not that serious, but he said that about Gethin and Kearney's injury Shocked
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:28 am

Anyone know how to read into this selection? I would have expected any likely starting players for the first test to be rested for Wednesday. Then you'd see a likely starting 15 on the Saturday game v Waratahs.

Now maybe I shouldn't be overworried, but if the likes of North, BOD, Heaslip, Gray and maybe Roberts are likely starters on the 22nd won't they likely end up playing 3 games in 10 days? I'd expect more injuries and more call ups if they can't rotate players effectively.

Of course maybe this is now the midweek team?!? Tumbleweed

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:45 am

I can imagine Hogg doing well as a flyhalf, he looks like he must have played there as a kid. The first receiver ball he takes head up not down.

As a nippy and confident player he could be very exciting. Can he be relied upon as cover at flyhalf for Sexton in the tests?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:45 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:George,

If Sexton or Farrell got injured then I am sure another 10 or someone more use to playing there would be called in as cover.
Quite right too. Not fair on Hogg to expect him to take test responsibilities. These boards will catch fire if Sexton does get injured, because whom should the cover be if Wilko's recent groin op stops him from playing? I'd actually probably rather have Toby Flood than Biggar to be honest. You cannot parachute in people who are talented but internationally inexperienced (Madigan) or people whose form has fluctuated enough recently to be a consistency concern (I'm afraid I would put James Hook in that category).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:58 am

Gatland won't even select Hook for Wales so I doubt he'd call him up for the Lions!

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:02 am

Hook hasnt played much for Wales recently but his club form this season for Perpingnan has been good. I think it would be between Flood, who had a strong end to the season, and Hook.
PS. I think behind a strong pack against weak opposition that Hogg will actually play well on Wed.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:05 am

When do you think we'll see the test team? I would have thought that they'd play together once??? If so, and working backwards, here's my logic:

The first test is on the 22nd (a week Saturday).
Gatland wouldn't want to play his test players on the weds before would he? So, those who play against the Brumbies are unlikely to be in the test team.
So is the game before (Waratahs) next sat likely to be the test team to give them a run out beforehand?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:08 am

Griff,

Thats logic what you doing on these boards Hug Sky have been saying the Waratahs game is when we will be 'likely' to see the best clue as to the test team.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:12 am

I don't think Farrell is up to playing the tests. We need bench cover for Sexton and it is important that we try players in the squad like Hogg and Halfpenny in the role should they be needed.

If Sexton does get injured I think Flood would be a great call up, he is a very good player with experience and a varied skill set, he reads games very well.

The other name I would throw into the mix, a player i would pick as my replacement, would be Charlie Hodgson. He has been probably the best flyhalf in Britain this season. He had a superb lions tour before, he can still do the job.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:13 am

maestegmafia wrote:I don't think Farrell is up to playing the tests. We need bench cover for Sexton and it is important that we try players in the squad like Hogg and Halfpenny in the role should they be needed.

If Sexton does get injured I think Flood would be a great call up, he is a very good player with experience and a varied skill set, he reads games very well.

The other name I would throw into the mix, a player i would pick as my replacement, would be Charlie Hodgson. He has been probably the best flyhalf in Britain this season. He had a superb lions tour before, he can still do the job.

never would of guessed that!! Hug

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:18 am

I havn't got a problem wih giving Hoog and Halfpenny both a run at 10 on Tuesday to see how they go but I don't think Farrell is as bad as most are suggesting.

He seemed far more comfortable yesterday and had a good (not brilliant but does it need to be) game and his place kicking is pretty much spot on to.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:33 am

Force 13 - 28 Waratahs (FT)

So it was obviously totally worth the Force putting out a shoite team against us. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:34 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I havn't got a problem wih giving Hoog and Halfpenny both a run at 10 on Tuesday to see how they go but I don't think Farrell is as bad as most are suggesting.

He seemed far more comfortable yesterday and had a good (not brilliant but does it need to be) game and his place kicking is pretty much spot on to.

He lacks experience, his kicking out of hand was awful, lead straight to a try. Why would you kick to the fastest man on the field who is in space???

Many called that Farrell was the wrong selection pre tour, so far they have been proved undoubtably right.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:03 pm

I saw on tv this morning that many of the Combined Counties squad are amateurs. If that is really the case then I am not sure it matters who is at 10. This is becomes a practise run out. If 60 points were scored against the Force, the Lions should do the same here.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:17 pm

I assume BOD is captain?
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

I'm not surprised Hogg is playing this game at 10 - my guess is that was always the plan. If he goes well I can see the Lions going with Hogg on the bench for the 1st test without Farrell in the squad as this would give an extra option on the bench with Hogg covering 10, 11, 14 and 15.

Could be interesting!

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulster12 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:57 pm

Expected Warburton to play a part in this one as he has so little gametime. But he must be being rested for Saturday to hopefully play 80 as skipper.

I think this is the most exciting team of the tour so far, really slick backline and backrow. Just a shame that the opposition probably won't offer much, would love to see them up against an established team.

Hogg will do really well I think,expect him to keep things simple with BOD,Roberts and North picking hard lines off him so he can just supply the pass. After a few hit ups I expect him to have a dart through the gaps that will appear as he has serious pace.

Excited to see Maitlands counter attacking from FB too.

Take it Beau Robinson is out of this match after getting KOed yesterday?shame cause I thought he was outstanding over the ball and provided the lions pack with a real test of shifting a nuisance open side that they will certainly face vs Australia,could do with him playing against us again!

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

GLove39 wrote:
IanBru wrote:Holy Shiznay.

Indeed, starting at fly half for the first time, goal kicking & looking after Bil. Lot of responsibilities for Hogg!

BOD's a decent kicker isn't he?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I don't think Farrell is up to playing the tests. We need bench cover for Sexton and it is important that we try players in the squad like Hogg and Halfpenny in the role should they be needed.

So the established international 10 who was nominated for IRB player of the year last year is not up to playing in the tests, and Halfpenny or Hogg who have never started a test at 10 would be better outside half cover for Sexton.

Really?

That is one of the funniest posts I've seen on here for a very long time!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:06 pm

littlejohn wrote:Anyone know how to read into this selection? I would have expected any likely starting players for the first test to be rested for Wednesday. Then you'd see a likely starting 15 on the Saturday game v Waratahs.

Now maybe I shouldn't be overworried, but if the likes of North, BOD, Heaslip, Gray and maybe Roberts are likely starters on the 22nd won't they likely end up playing 3 games in 10 days? I'd expect more injuries and more call ups if they can't rotate players effectively.

Of course maybe this is now the midweek team?!? Tumbleweed

That is what I was thinking. I am a bit confused on that front.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:10 pm

Really excited about the backs and backrow, not sure on the front 5 but the opposition don't sound like they are gonna be up to much

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next